• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here OC'd a 4930K? Tempted to do it, but unsure about whether its worth while and whether temps will become a problem. Subject to cooling of course, but just after some opinions from those who've done it.

Case = Fractal Design XL
Cpu Cooler = Corsair H80i

Hawk269

If these R290X benchmarks are legit, I'm going to OC the shit out of one.

I just really need to know if the HDMI port on the 290x will be HDMI 2.0 compliant. My 4k TV does not have Display Port, but Sony will be updating via firmware the HDMI ports to 2.0, so all I need is a GPU with HDMI 2.0.

Addnan

Has anyone here OC'd a 4930K? Tempted to do it, but unsure about whether its worth while and whether temps will become a problem. Subject to cooling of course, but just after some opinions from those who've done it.

Case = Fractal Design XL
Cpu Cooler = Corsair H80i

Not many here will have a 4930K, but overclocking looks similar to LGA1150/1155. Up the multiplier, change voltage until stable, stress test and then make sure temps don't go too high. CPUs are worth overclocking, you can get quite a decent performance boost. The enthusiast series especially is made for overclocking.

kharma45

I have a coupon for that one where you choose three games and for the other one that offers bioshock, crysis and blood dragon. can I use the later without worrying of them swaping one of the games for bf4?

I'd imagine so. So you've got codes for Never Settle Reloaded and Forever? Lucky you!

ekim

I'm currently fiddling with the idea of building a small living room PC exclusively for gaming on my TV.

Budget would be around 800€ and it must be a small casing and quiet.
What is the smallest PC case that fits a "normal" graphics card? (Or are there powerful "mini" cards?)

What CPU/GPU are needed if 900p at full details with little AA is enough for me for recent games? (I'm sitting 10 feet away from a 47" TV so the difference between 900p/1080p isn't that large in my eyes)

Garteal

Yeah, I'm still waiting to order mine so I can't share any personal experience yet. No idea if anyone in this thread has one.

Here's a good review about the ghosting etc though: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2411t

Could you possibly share the video review about trailing/ghosting? I do know a lot of monitors suffer from that (especially 60hz screens) but I'd like to know more about this one. I do know it has some inverse ghosting, but the AMA High setting reduced it greatly.
Here is the review. He talks about it at around the 7 minute mark.
Thanks for the written review, though I went ahead and ordered the Asus monitor I mentioned before. Hopefully it's as good as it's hyped about.

mr2t

Banned
About a year ago I set up my computer with windows 7 and xonar dg to run foobar over spdif and all other sound over analog. I recently had to reinstall and used a copy of 8 I was given. Now I'm getting all computer sound over both analog and spdif and if I play foobar it plays over spdif but mutes all other sound to my analog speakers. Anyone know how to fix this?

Erebus

Quick question, I accidentally installed an Intel Smart Connect Technology from Windows Update. From what I gather this thing is primary meant for ultrabooks and laptops. Does it do anything on a desktop PC?

JustinBB7

I'm having a weird monitor problem, I turn it on and turn on my computer, the red light comes on that it works and it just turns off again after like 3 seconds.

I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in a hundred times but no luck. Then I left the cable out for half an hour, tried again, and it works.. this has been happening 3 days in a row now. I have no idea what it is.

It's not related to my computer I guess? Because it's a power cable thing. Any ideas? I tried a different cable (that works on that computer) and it didn't work either, but then I waited half an hour and tried my own cable again and worked fine. Very strange.

I'm currently fiddling with the idea of building a small living room PC exclusively for gaming on my TV.

What is the smallest PC case that fits a "normal" graphics card? (Or are there powerful "mini" cards?)

What CPU/GPU are needed if 900p at full details with little AA is enough for me for recent games? (I'm sitting 10 feet away from a 47" TV so the difference between 900p/1080p isn't that large in my eyes)

Maybe wait for the Steambox? Since that's basically what it will be by the way Valve describes it.

3P4PgaN.jpg

Is this too large? If it isn't, the world is your oyster. This can fit a Titan and OC'd 4770k no problem.

Edit: If you like the tower design, the Silverstone FT03 Mini is also a solid choice. Take at look at the SFF build sheet. You can easily cut corners on those builds and still have a really capable rig.

ekim

3P4PgaN.jpg

Is this too large? If it isn't, the world is your oyster. This can fit a Titan and OC'd 4770k no problem.

Edit: If you like the tower design, the Silverstone FT03 Mini is also a solid choice. Take at look at the SFF build sheet. You can easily cut corners on those builds and still have a really capable rig.

Looks small enough. Thanks :)

edit: What's the name of it? :eek:
edit2: found it :)

I'm having a weird monitor problem, I turn it on and turn on my computer, the red light comes on that it works and it just turns off again after like 3 seconds.

I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in a hundred times but no luck. Then I left the cable out for half an hour, tried again, and it works.. this has been happening 3 days in a row now. I have no idea what it is.

It's not related to my computer I guess? Because it's a power cable thing. Any ideas? I tried a different cable (that works on that computer) and it didn't work either, but then I waited half an hour and tried my own cable again and worked fine. Very strange.

Maybe wait for the Steambox? Since that's basically what it will be by the way Valve describes it.
It could be the monitor. My Samsung died because of a worn out capacitor. Look up your monitor and look for related issues just to be sure.

I wanted to start building my rig. I want to wait till the next gen of Intel CPU's and Nvidias GPU's come out which I'm assuming will be mid 2014.

With that, I want to start buying parts that would be universal/ compatible regardless of time, so it doesn't cost a huge amount all at once. From my knowledge, things that are universal would be:

Case
PSU
RAM (honestly want to wait to see how DDR4 is)
SSD
HDD

Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard - I will wait to see what's best at the time.

And that's all I can think of. I plan on buying one item per month so this way I can afford to get a good product. The GPU, CPU and mobo is something I'll buy at once and at the end. Sound card is in the plan as well but that's an optional part.

So, is there anything else I can get that can will be compatible?

And also, please give me some case recommendations.

I want to assume that this rig will be on 24/7 and for full time gaming. I do prefer something quiet.

kennah

If you want quiet and you're buying one part a month.....

Go water cooling.

And really in your list. SSD and HDD shouldn't be on there. They go up in capacity and down in price, they should be left for next to last. You can safely buy your case and PSU if you have a good deal.

Do you want quiet and big or quiet and small?

Pjsprojects

No problem.

It will in some games, not in others. A GPU upgrade will help in a lot of games, overclocking your CPU would also help but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but still reasonable when OC'd.

Just to update i purchased a 3gb Gtx580 Palit oc edition card and am looking at going from 4gb to 8gb but a lot of the ram (ddr2 6400 800mhz) seems to be listed as for servers only,why is this?

If you want quiet and you're buying one part a month.....

Go water cooling.

And really in your list. SSD and HDD shouldn't be on there. They go up in capacity and down in price, they should be left for next to last. You can safely buy your case and PSU if you have a good deal.

Do you want quiet and big or quiet and small?

Quiet and big. My first rig's wiring is terrible most do to the non- modular PSU and lack of space. Don't want that to happen this time.

built it back in 2009.

Damn it, my 650D's fan controller is officially shitting the bed. This is actually making me consider an entirely new case, something a bit more silence-focused like the 550D or maybe another option. What are some really good, quiet cases not listed in the OP? Has to be full-sized ATX.

kennah

Damn it, my 650D's fan controller is officially shitting the bed. This is actually making me consider an entirely new case, something a bit more silence-focused like the 550D or maybe another option. What are some really good, quiet cases not listed in the OP? Has to be full-sized ATX.
The good quiet cases are already listed in the OP :p. Fractal R4

Ty4on

Ty4on, my friend had the 550w version of that PSU and it failed within 2 months but then again he might just have been unlucky.

Late reply because reddit killed GAF.

I see. I'm just hypothetically making a storage rig and there are quite a lot of cheap sub 300W PSUs that could go into them I just hope they are also quiet. It is really mostly an excuse to overclock an AMD CPU and experiment with fanless tower coolers :p

I do sort of want to see after the next round of GPUs come if I could make a small, quiet PC that is more powerful than the PS4 for less money. The biggest bottleneck is PSU and case. Heck, case wise there's so much that costs around the same as a cheap CPU and mobo combined and nearly everything that's cheap is too big and looks like cheap, glossy HP desktops. Maaaaybe the Elite 120 with a Pentium and a cooler blowing up could be silent.
He wants full ATX for some reason, so still kinda right. The R4s daddy, define XL.

Isn't full sized ATX just normal ATX? I don't think the 650D can fit ATX XL boards.

Seanspeed

Banned
After returning my Dell U2412M, I got my new monitor yesterday. Having played around on it for a while now, a quick review:

27" Acer 275HLbmii S series, 1080p, IPS
1SodhKc.jpg

First off, I think the monitor itself looks great. The thin frame, off-kilter design and glassy panel really stand out. After hooking it up, my impressions were a bit more muted. Living up to the U2412M's picture was going to be hard and this being 27" at the same resolution also reduces the wow factor a tad. But it still looks very good. I was worried about the glassiness of the panel, but I quite like it. Gives it a very slick look and playing in mostly darker conditions means there's no excess glare to worry about.

IPS glow is still present, though. I have no idea how this isn't reported on much more with these screens because its a big issue, but after having the U2412M for a couple weeks to see if I could live with it, I did get used to it as a worthwhile compromise.

The extra space is just too nice. I use Netflix a fair bit and watch NFL games and racing, so a larger picture is always great. I can splitscreen stuff(vids, GuitarPro, internet browsing) much more conveniently and games are definitely more immersive. Being 1080p, I can definitely notice a bit more aliasing, but it really is minor. I can certainly see how 1440p would be more ideal, but I just don't have the money for that, or to power it. Overall, I'd say I'm quite happy, though. She's a keeper.

Priced out a rig I might get in a few months. The BF4 benches, although the game is sponsored by AMD, makes me think having an 8-core AMD might not be such a bad thing in the coming generation, due to optimizations made for the future consoles.

The 7970 is just there as a placeholder for the R9-280X, which will hopefully come in at a similar price.

What do you guys think? I've always been a bit of an AMD fan, so keep that in mind :p
This build doesn't include a CPU cooler which you will need,

IMO, drop down to the FX8320/8350 and clock up the difference yourself, afterall, the Fx9xx doesn't come with a cooler so you will need to buy one and is the same chip as the FX8xxx.

Reckoner

I'd imagine so. So you've got codes for Never Settle Reloaded and Forever? Lucky you!

yeah! :D I didn't expect overclockers uk to send me both, but they did

I'm now out of luck on finding the z87 g45 motherboard. everywhere I go they say it is out of stock

ekim

Where are you from exactly? I'll try to put something together for you.

From Germany. I just took a sff build from the OP and ended up with 850€. Is it a good idea to use an AMD CPU/GPU combination with all that mantle stuff and the next consoles having also AMD APUs?

Reckoner

How much did overclockers charge for shipping to Portugal and what did you order from there?

I ordered the MSI HD 7970 Twin FrozR for 191.66 and paid 25.97 pounds for postage through DHL

btw, is there a good alternative to the MSI z87 g45 in that price range? Asus or something like that that will work good with my gpu and has good oc software.

From Germany. I just took a sff build from the OP and ended up with 850€. Is it a good idea to use an AMD CPU/GPU combination with all that mantle stuff and the next consoles having also AMD APUs?
Not really, no.
Console ports might better optimized for AMD CPUs, but as for raw power, Intel still beats AMD by a pretty big margin. Go Intel, srsly. AMD GPUs are perfectly fine.

This would be how I'd do it. (Alternate.de)
The ability to overclock the CPU does wonders for a build's longevity.
Also, you get free games with the GPU and free games are always nice.

Und hallo! So von KrautGAFer zu KrautGAFer...

kharma45

I ordered the MSI HD 7970 Twin FrozR for 191.66 and paid 25.97 pounds for postage through DHL

btw, is there a good alternative to the MSI z87 g45 in that price range? Asus or something like that that will work good with my gpu and has good oc software.

There is the Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X from the OP as well as the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H and UD3H which seem to be decent.

coughlanio

Not really, no.
Console ports might better optimized for AMD CPUs, but as for raw power, Intel still beats AMD by a pretty big margin. Go Intel, srsly. AMD GPUs are perfectly fine.

This would be how I'd do it. (Alternate.de)
The ability to overclock the CPU does wonders for a build's longevity.
Also, you get free games with the GPU and free games are always nice.

Und hallo! So von KrautGAFer zu KrautGAFer...

What about an FX-9590?

kharma45

and as good? I can wait, but it is somehow painful to have all the parts already here but the motherboard

they're all similar-ish. UD3 is the lowest end one.

What if I have a little bit of brand loyalty?

It performs favorably against an i7, and is around the same price, if not cheaper.

Not in games it doesn't. It will in a very small number of take but Intel smashes it everywhere else. Those 9000 series CPUs are just clock speed dick waving and nothing more.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Brand loyalty in GPU almost makes sense since they are so similar, but in CPU fuck that you are just supporting shit.

No it doesn't. I go for performance and since my current selection of games old and new depend on certain things I go with the brand that has better performance for the majority of what I own. This is different for everyone but on some level you should be buying your gpu hardware for the needs you have in gaming.

I've bought both brands religiously the last few years and have no interest in throwing away performance opportunities cause I'm loyal. For all the shit amd gets for certain issues their cards have never fried my hardware or their drivers have never borked my performance.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can somebody recommand me a good processor?

I wanna upgrade from my Intel Core i7 920 to a ~4 GHZ (no overclocking, I'm too scared and stupid) processor. I could buy an AMD FX 8350 for ~170€ from Amazon in Austria so that's the plan right now if nobody here knows anything better/cheaper. If there is a comparable alternative from Intel I'd prefer that cause I made better experiences with Intel hardware but it's by no means a must.

I'm willing to spend a bit more if it makes a significant difference but anything above 200€ would really, really hurt my wallet.

muu

Anyone here use Corsair's CX750M?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

I've used the same Seasonic 430W supply for ~6 yrs now but it's hampered my upgrade path in terms of graphics cards because of an underpowered 12V rail. 50 bucks AR for a 750W seems like a killer deal if it doesn't hiccup too much. If Newegg does this sort of sale pretty often I'm willing to wait. Current prices on HD7870~HD7970 definitely giving me the upgrade bug.

Ieu

I wanna upgrade from my Intel Core i7 920 to a ~4 GHZ (no overclocking, I'm too scared and stupid) processor. I could buy an AMD FX 8350 for ~170€ from Amazon in Austria so that's the plan right now if nobody here knows anything better/cheaper. If there is a comparable alternative from Intel I'd prefer that cause I made better experiences with Intel hardware but it's by no means a must.

I'm willing to spend a bit more if it makes a significant difference but anything above 200€ would really, really hurt my wallet.

Don't get so hung up on the frequency. Intel played that game with the Pentium 4 and iit didn't pan out.

kharma45

Moving to that AMD CPU if you'd gaming is at best a sideways step. your CPU is still great, and if its at 4ghz it is overclocked.

What if I have a little bit of brand loyalty?

It performs favorably against an i7, and is around the same price, if not cheaper.

Make sure you get an 8+2 Phase motherboard and only get Piledriver if you go AMD. The 6300 and 8320 are what you'll be looking at. Overclock them to 4.5 or so and I doubt you'll notice the difference outside of stuff like Starcraft. Obviously Intel is superior, but you can make a nice gaming rig with an AMD cpu as well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Moving to that AMD CPU if you'd gaming is at best a sideways step. your CPU is still great, and if its at 4ghz it is overclocked.

So I should stick with my current CPU right now? It's probably obvious but I don't really know much about hardware...

kennah

So I should stick with my current CPU right now? It's probably obvious but I don't really know much about hardware...

I'm assuming this is in response to the Watch_Dogs specs? You're probably fine with what you have. Especially if you're willing to research how to get it to a 4ghz overclock. That i7 is still competitive for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom