• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For someone who is not looking for overclocking, how does the i5 3570 compare to the 3570K when it comes to gaming (at stock clocks obviously) ?

and if you go with that, what motherboard is best with it since I'm guessing you don't need a Z77 one and could save some money and maybe put it somewhere else in the build ?

Xyber

For someone who is not looking for overclocking, how does the i5 3570 compare to the 3570K when it comes to gaming (at stock clocks obviously) ?

and if you go with that, what motherboard is best with it since I'm guessing you don't need a Z77 one and could save some money and maybe put it somewhere else in the build ?

This is just my 5 cents, but the CPU is one of the parts you can have the longest without the need to upgrade and I don't think it's worth the cheap out on it. Seriously, it's $10 difference between K and non-K on newegg. And a MoBo that will allow you to overclock isn't that expensive. Even if you don't want to overclock now, you can do it in 2 years when you think the performance isn't there anymore.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How are the 900D and 750D for air-cooling? The first thing I noticed is that the front fans are covered, but I haven't heard any complaints about temps...

This is just my 5 cents, but the CPU is one of the parts you can have the longest without the need to upgrade and I don't think it's worth the cheap out on it. Seriously, it's $10 difference between K and non-K on newegg. And a MoBo that will allow you to overclock isn't that expensive. Even if you don't want to overclock now, you can do it in 2 years when you think the performance isn't there anymore.

Its not for me (I'm running the K version currently) it's for someone else, I think OCing is out of the question for him due to lack of knowledge/not wanting to deal with the whole process.

Didn't know the price difference was so little, how about the motherboards though, does going for the non Z77 ones has a notable price difference or are we looking at the same thing ?

Foxyone

I keep getting told that I shouldn't build a PC because I might be moving to the UK in a few years, and I would either not be allowed to bring it over with me, or I'd have to replace a lot of it. Wouldn't it just be the PSU that would be a problem? I feel that the only real problem would be sending it overseas, but is it worth it if I'd have to do that kind of stuff in a few years?

Ty4on

How are the 900D and 750D for air-cooling? The first thing I noticed is that the front fans are covered, but I haven't heard any complaints about temps...

They're so big that air is never gonna reach the parts that need it :p

Covering up the front panel is very common to make the cases sleeker and reduce direct noise. The air is drawn from the sides and with big gaps and slow fans there is no problem with airflow.

t-ramp

Its not for me (I'm running the K version currently) it's for someone else, I think OCing is out of the question for him due to lack of knowledge/not wanting to deal with the whole process.

Didn't know the price difference was so little, how about the motherboards though, does going for the non Z77 ones has a notable price difference or are we looking at the same thing ?
If you don't overclock, the 3570 and 3570K are basically the same thing.

Motherboards with non-enthusiast chipsets will be cheaper, usually.

I built a computer with a friend a while back. He has a 3570K and a motherboard that will allow overclocking, but we haven't done so yet. If it's not something both of you really want, you could probably save a bit of money by getting less expensive parts.

I keep getting told that I shouldn't build a PC because I might be moving to the UK in a few years, and I would either not be allowed to bring it over with me, or I'd have to replace a lot of it. Wouldn't it just be the PSU that would be a problem? I feel that the only real problem would be sending it overseas, but is it worth it if I'd have to do that kind of stuff in a few years?
All decent modern power supplies will support a ~240V power source, so I don't see why you'd have any trouble.

zbarron

I was wondering which of these motherboards would be most recommended for a good overclock. Ideally I'd like to stay under $400.

Bundles

cpue6sow.jpg

OFFIS

OK it happened again. Mouse cursor stalling/freezing every couple of seconds and I was just surfing the internet on Firefox!

Nvidia driver problem, I had similar problems on my gtx460 couple of months ago, try 314.xx whql drivers those were the last ones that worked properly on my card. (320.xx were the last drivers I tested and then moved to gtx760, so maybe try 327.23whql too)

Are there any good 3D monitors for around 3-400 dollars? If not what's the best 120 Hz monitor around that price range? The TV I've been using via HDMI is starting to lose some of its luster very slowly after 6 or so years. It's still perfectly fine, but I've been wanting to make the jump to 120 for a while now. Primarily for gaming obviously, so latency is important. Really know nothing about monitors so I'm not sure where to look in particular.

Also: a more particular request. The TV I use currently is a bit overlit, as I said I'm not really familiar with screen tech but blacks are lit up as you can clearly see them being lit up. They aren't gray, they are black, but just lit. Not really sure how to explain it better but I imagine people here will know what I speak of. And it's not just the backlight as turning it down all the way makes it so that the whites become too dark.

Thanks!

I was wondering which of these motherboards would be most recommended for a good overclock. Ideally I'd like to stay under $400.

Bundles

cpue6sow.jpg

The bundle deal works for any 1150 socket board on the Microcenter site so you have more options than what are listed in the picture.

One of the recommended boards in the OP, the MSI Z87 G45, would get you closest to $400 at about $405+ tax.

Tablo

Are there any good 3D monitors for around 3-400 dollars? If not what's the best 120 Hz monitor around that price range? The TV I've been using via HDMI is starting to lose some of its luster very slowly after 6 or so years. It's still perfectly fine, but I've been wanting to make the jump to 120 for a while now. Primarily for gaming obviously, so latency is important. Really know nothing about monitors so I'm not sure where to look in particular.

Also: a more particular request. The TV I use currently is a bit overlit, as I said I'm not really familiar with screen tech but blacks are lit up as you can clearly see them being lit up. They aren't gray, they are black, but just lit. Not really sure how to explain it better but I imagine people here will know what I speak of. And it's not just the backlight as turning it down all the way makes it so that the whites become too dark.

Thanks!

24 inch
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

27 inch
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236206

I know the BenQs are also frequently recommended, but these have better colors from what I've read. Also can't really go wrong with most 120+hz monitors these days.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nvidia driver problem, I had similar problems on my gtx460 couple of months ago, try 314.xx whql drivers those were the last ones that worked properly on my card. (320.xx were the last drivers I tested and then moved to gtx760, so maybe try 327.23whql too)

I can also vouch for this. I'm currently using a gtx 560 and the newer nvidia drivers would make firefox lag/freeze/crash. Then I went to the 314.22's and haven't had a single issue since. It seems like this was the best driver for the fermi cards.

Foxyone

... All of them?

Welp, not as specific as I might have thought. Asked elsewhere about going from 120v to 240v, and they said that I would need a monitor to support either voltage, which made it seem like some wouldn't. So basically, a computer + monitor would work anywhere in which the voltage is within the limits of the PSU?

kennah

Welp, not as specific as I might have thought. Asked elsewhere about going from 120v to 240v, and they said that I would need a monitor to support either voltage, which made it seem like some wouldn't. So basically, a computer + monitor would work anywhere in which the voltage is within the limits of the PSU?

10 years ago this would be a problem. Now everything works everywhere. You might just need to get a replacement power cable.

Reckoner

With the MSI Z87 G45 being out of stock everywhere I go, I'm starting to look for alternatives. A friend of mine told me that Asrock motherboards are pretty good these days and recommended me an ASRock Z87 Extreme 6. What do you guys think? Am I losing something?

danthefan

Just wondering, what is the best way to set up the fans on my case?

I've a corsair H80, I have the fans both set to send air out of the case, and one other fan on the case also removing air from the case. I've a few more fans ordered, would it be beneficial to have one taking in air too? Was thinking it might cause the air in the case to mix up a bit more which is good for heat transfer as far as I know.

damaph

Just wondering, what is the best way to set up the fans on my case?

I've a corsair H80, I have the fans both set to send air out of the case, and one other fan on the case also removing air from the case. I've a few more fans ordered, would it be beneficial to have one taking in air too? Was thinking it might cause the air in the case to mix up a bit more which is good for heat transfer as far as I know.

I don't know what case you have but you probably don't want all your fans blowing air out of your case.

M3z_

With the MSI Z87 G45 being out of stock everywhere I go, I'm starting to look for alternatives. A friend of mine told me that Asrock motherboards are pretty good these days and recommended me an ASRock Z87 Extreme 6. What do you guys think? Am I losing something?

Asrock is a respectable brand these days, the gigabyte ud3h and ud4h are both quality boards as well. I have the ud4h and it looks mighty pretty.

Reckoner

Asrock is a respectable brand these days, the gigabyte ud3h and ud4h are both quality boards as well. I have the ud4h and it looks mighty pretty.

The Gigabyte is a bit more difficult to get, so I'll go with the Asrock then. Finally I'll get the final piece of my build monday

If you don't overclock, the 3570 and 3570K are basically the same thing.

Motherboards with non-enthusiast chipsets will be cheaper, usually.

I built a computer with a friend a while back. He has a 3570K and a motherboard that will allow overclocking, but we haven't done so yet. If it's not something both of you really want, you could probably save a bit of money by getting less expensive parts.

Yeah, if there isn't much in savings I might just go for the OC friendly options and do it for him later if it starts to bottleneck him.

Thanks for the replay.

DSN2K

Decided I'm gonna pick up a 7950 for the first part of a much larger upgrade, Seems like 280x will be same the card more or less...so better to get one cheaper now. .Will be partnering it with an old phenom ii x4 955 for a couple of weeks...whats crappy but I plan on the 1st of November to go Haswell..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008NF3R1I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Solid review as well makes it one of the better 7950...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-4.html

Jzero

Decided I'm gonna pick up a 7950 for the first part of a much larger upgrade, Seems like 280x will be same the card more or less...so better to get one cheaper now. .Will be partnering it with an old phenom ii x4 955 for a couple of weeks...whats crappy but I plan on the 1st of November to go Haswell..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008NF3R1I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Solid review as well makes it one of the better 7950...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-4.html

Holy thickness.

Sorry should have mentioned, it's a Corsair 800D.

Yeah was thinking that, will have at least one fan taking air in so.

You want more air pressure on intake than exhaust. Filter your intake, too. This is the best way to keep your case cool and dust-free.

If you have more exhaust than intake, your case will suck in air from every seam. With that air will come dust.

I think I've settled on my upgrade plan for my existing PC. Right now, its a bit of a mix from my initial build back at the end of 2009 and upgrades I've made here and there since then.

CM Storm scout case
Phenom II X3 720 (overclocked to 3.5 and fourth core unlocked)
Corsair 550VX power supply
Corsair H60 cooler
Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard
8 GB of GSkill RAM
250GB Samsung EVO SSD
750 GB WD Caviar Black HDD
EVGA 760 GTX

So I think I'm just going to replace my motherboard, CPU and PSU for this:
Intel i5-4670K
Asus z87-Plus motherboard
Corsair hx750 power supply

Then I'll just keep my H60 to cool the 4670k. Getting the 750 watt PSU will make my case a little tidier since its modular and should give me some room to SLI my 760 down the road.

Would it be smart to get new RAM as well? My 4 sticks of 2GB would work on the new mobo so I was thinking for the time being I'd just carry them over.

Would around Black Friday be the best time to buy? I'm not really in any hurry to upgrade right now so I figured prices on components might be best if I waited a bit.

Seanspeed

Banned
Do you have a K processor, which is unlocked. If you do, do not use turbo imo it's unnecessary. Also it won't mess you up I'm using turbo right now.

I did sorry it happens when I type to fast. I want to say the cpu will just up the voltage when needed and then back down when you're not using a heavy load.

In the case off offset vs fixed. A fixed voltage only has one setting, offsetting combined with speedstep in the bios will allow the cpu to go between various states of voltage.

Auto offset can add to much though in my experience in this case it was only a few more points than the fixed value I used. If you set the offset you can have it use as much as it needs for a game and then for browsing it will use only a necessary amount. When you idle it would be at it lowest.

Perfectly fine the only issue it adds to is dpc latency which for most is rarely an issue. Only time some turn it off is like me when you want a fixed voltage to see what the max overclock on your cpu is. With it turned off along with C1 and C6 you can keep the fixed voltage at all times which is good turning benchmarking or error testing. Once you're done enabling these again is perfectly fine and almost better long term if you want to save on power which can extend the life of your cpu.
Ok ok. I think I'm getting the picture now. Appreciate it. Turn Turbo off cuz its unnecessary, leave Speedstep on to conserve heat/life when not needed, have offset voltage set to only what the maximum voltage I need(I wont be trying to max my OC at all).

Excellent and thanks again.

24 inch
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

27 inch
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236206

I know the BenQs are also frequently recommended, but these have better colors from what I've read. Also can't really go wrong with most 120+hz monitors these days.

Thanks! Is that the best deal on the 27 inch and are there any retail stores that might have one? Then again newegg doesn't have tax. Monitor also seems to be a bit older but I suppose 4K is the most recent big thing and that obviously isn't at my price range :D

Sofo

Hello everyone! Never posted in this thread and I've been suggested to post here before finishing my purchase of a built PC. I'll add a little background to help a bit!

I am looking to buy a PC that can run FFXIV very well (preferably on High settings) as my current one is in dire need of some renewal. I like to play other videogames on PC but more often than not, MMO(s) end up taking most of my time, as well as console gaming (heresy!).

I need to add that I am currently living in Norway, and thus it seems the prices are quite much higher than US ones. I was directed to this website called komplett.no where you basically select a model or a ballpark of what kind of PC you're looking for and they offer a wide variety of components to go with it. I'm sure most of you will suggest that I myself can build it (saving some pennies) but I want to get it right and I tend to get very stressed when things go wrong. Along with a friend of mine, we're been stalking this thread and somewhat selected components that seem of good choice and trying to fit into the budget.

This is what I'm looking to order, after hearing your opinion, PC-GAF:

Case - Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey
PSU -XFX ProSeries Core Edition 750W PSU
Motherboard - MSI Z87-G55, Socket-1150
Processor - Intel Core i7-4770K Processor
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9
Graphics card - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz 3GB GDDR5
SSD - Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB 2.5" OEM
HDD - WD Desktop Green 1TB
DVD Drive - Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB
Keyboard - Logitech Desktop MK120 (Nordic)
OS - Windows Pro 7

So far this amounts to 15,300 NOK (with delivery) (1,890.46€/2,562.64 USD)

I'm definitely not eager (and most likely can't) afford for a more expensive build. How does it look so far? Will it run FFXIV perfectly and smooth even at high settings? I currently own a 3 year old DELL display of 21 inches also! Not sure if it matters. I might upgrade eventually but haven't given it much thought.

Thanks everyone for reading! I'll be here waiting, because I'm like a kid, waiting to go to the toy store. u_u

ekim

Hello everyone! Never posted in this thread and I've been suggested to post here before finishing my purchase of a built PC. I'll add a little background to help a bit!

I am looking to buy a PC that can run FFXIV very well (preferably on High settings) as my current one is in dire need of some renewal. I like to play other videogames on PC but more often than not, MMO(s) end up taking most of my time, as well as console gaming (heresy!).

I need to add that I am currently living in Norway, and thus it seems the prices are quite much higher than US ones. I was directed to this website called komplett.no where you basically select a model or a ballpark of what kind of PC you're looking for and they offer a wide variety of components to go with it. I'm sure most of you will suggest that I myself can build it (saving some pennies) but I want to get it right and I tend to get very stressed when things go wrong. Along with a friend of mine, we're been stalking this thread and somewhat selected components that seem of good choice and trying to fit into the budget.

This is what I'm looking to order, after hearing your opinion, PC-GAF:

OS - Windows Pro 7

So far this amounts to 15,300 NOK (with delivery) (1,890.46€/2,562.64 USD)

I'm definitely not eager (and most likely can't) afford for a more expensive build. How does it look so far? Will it run FFXIV perfectly and smooth even at high settings? I currently own a 3 year old DELL display of 21 inches also! Not sure if it matters. I might upgrade eventually but haven't given it much thought.

Thanks everyone for reading! I'll be here waiting, because I'm like a kid, waiting to go to the toy store. u_u

I would say, go for it. People might suggest you to go down to an i5 and 8GB RAM but next gen is coming and I wouldn't be surprised if more and more games make use of 8 cores/threads.

Btw - FFXIV should run perfectly on that rig.

PatzCU

PC-GAF, I am in need of a quick seal of approval on some minor (but major) updates I'm making to my PC.

Current Relevant Parts:

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

My CPU is ancient at this point and a major bottleneck for my somewhat relevant GTX 570 vid card. I'm not looking to make a destroyer of PC games, just updates that will allow me to get the most out of the 570 and play recent games at mostly high settings and stable framerates at 1680x1050. I may upgrade the vid card next year, but for now it's CPU time.

Upgraded Parts:

CPU - INTEL Core i5-4670K
MOBO - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM - Upgrade to 8GB?
HEATSINK - Coolermaster 212 EVO (don't plan on OC'ing)

Does this look OK? People say 4GB of RAM is fine, but I feel like that's a little low and I should upgrade to 8GB.

Thank you PC GAF!

I had the tri slot Asus GTX 570 CU II. It concerned me how it sagged. I ended up upgrading to a EVGA GTX 670 FTW. Otherwise, the card ran very cool and was more quiet than my current card.

Is it okay that my PC is setting on carpet? I know the PC creates a lot of heat, and I know carpet traps heat. I just dont know if it traps so much heat that it becomes dangerous

LordAlu

PC-GAF, I am in need of a quick seal of approval on some minor (but major) updates I'm making to my PC.

Current Relevant Parts:

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

My CPU is ancient at this point and a major bottleneck for my somewhat relevant GTX 570 vid card. I'm not looking to make a destroyer of PC games, just updates that will allow me to get the most out of the 570 and play recent games at mostly high settings and stable framerates at 1680x1050. I may upgrade the vid card next year, but for now it's CPU time.

Upgraded Parts:

CPU - INTEL Core i5-4670K
MOBO - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM - Upgrade to 8GB?
HEATSINK - Coolermaster 212 EVO (don't plan on OC'ing)

Does this look OK? People say 4GB of RAM is fine, but I feel like that's a little low and I should upgrade to 8GB.

Thank you PC GAF!
That's an excellent upgrade, and at 1650x1050 a 570 is still a good card. Since you're getting a K processor and an aftermarket cooler you might as well overclock too - it's literally changing a few values and you get free performance!

Is it okay that my PC is setting on carpet? I know the PC creates a lot of heat, and I know carpet traps heat. I just dont know if it traps so much heat that it becomes dangerous
It's fne, although you might want to clean it or your dust filters regularly as you'll likely pick up a bit more dust.

BlazeDSM

Hi GAF,

I'm using a computer that was given to me and I want to do what I can with it since my funds are being spent in November for the XBone.

It's a Dell E521 w/Win7 x64, 5GB DDR2 Ram (kingston brand with some other mixed brands), I just changed the processor to an AMD Athlon 64x2 5200+ at 2.60Ghz.

My gaming card I have is an ATI Radeon 5450 w/1GB DDR3.

I want the best performance I can with what i'm working with. I can play games like Skyrim, Deadpool, and DOTA on medium settings but would you guys recommend for me to increase optimal performance to run games like Battlefield 4 (i'm not expecting much). I just scored a job at a local computer shop so I'll be able to get parts and whatnot at cost so that's a plus on my end...but I'm not working with much money since I just got hired.

Here are some pics that I took for SnG's..
shits n giggles

M3z_

Wasn't ASRock the company that lied about specs? Do we like them again?

Their Z87 might be better, but we are still not trusting them. Stick with MSI, Gigabyte or Asus.

Edit: few biostar boards too.

Regardless Asrock still puts out boards that review well and don't have any particular glaring issues from what I have seen on forums. I had an Asrock exrtreme 6 back when I was on sandy bridge and it was a very nice board that I had zero issue with.

Sofo

I would say, go for it. People might suggest you to go down to an i5 and 8GB RAM but next gen is coming and I wouldn't be surprised if more and more games make use of 8 cores/threads.

Btw - FFXIV should run perfectly on that rig.

Hmm! I understand, but I'd like it to last "updated" for quite a bit as I will not be looking to upgrading it slowly but maybe in a year or two, so maybe not worth double-dipping so soon, right?

Thanks a much for the input!

Anton668

Regardless Asrock still puts out boards that review well and don't have any particular glaring issues from what I have seen on forums. I had an Asrock exrtreme 6 back when I was on sandy bridge and it was a very nice board that I had zero issue with.

it seemed to be only the extreme 3 MB that was at fault. other than that they were fine

kharma45

it seemed to be only the extreme 3 MB that was at fault. other than that they were fine

It was the Extreme4.

Hi GAF,

I'm using a computer that was given to me and I want to do what I can with it since my funds are being spent in November for the XBone.

It's a Dell E521 w/Win7 x64, 5GB DDR2 Ram (kingston brand with some other mixed brands), I just changed the processor to an AMD Athlon 64x2 5200+ at 2.60Ghz.

My gaming card I have is an ATI Radeon 5450 w/1GB DDR3.

I want the best performance I can with what i'm working with. I can play games like Skyrim, Deadpool, and DOTA on medium settings but would you guys recommend for me to increase optimal performance to run games like Battlefield 4 (i'm not expecting much). I just scored a job at a local computer shop so I'll be able to get parts and whatnot at cost so that's a plus on my end...but I'm not working with much money since I just got hired.

Here are some pics that I took for SnG's..
shits n giggles

I still have an E521 kicking around, mine has the mighty AMD 64 X2 4400+ in it.

GPU wise I guess something like a 7790 maybe would suit it.

luiztfc

Hi Gaf.

I have two HD 6970 in CrossFire, but apparently, even though CF is enabled in Catalyst, I'm using only one GPU. I downloaded Furmark to test and it showed that only one GPU is enabled.

gaf.png

Same happens in HWMonitor:

hwmonitor.png

GPU Id shows the two GPU's but only one is using memory:

gpu%20ID.gif

What should I do? I just did a fresh reinstall and the problems persists.

OS - Windows Pro 7

I recommend windows 8. It's better than win7 for sure and is more future proof. Also if you are not going to use the PC for io heavy tasks such as video editing or a server, samsung ssd evo will give more bang for your bucks (if it's available in that site. If not you can't go wrong with pro). The psu seems to be a bit over powered as well since that setup looks like 600W will be more than enough.

fader

Haswell, green HDD, you can even sneak in a 550W tbh. whats the point of buying a Haswell and a green drive if your not gonna take advantage of them ;)

jbpaz

I'm building my first build next week. I already picked some parts out and I have some questions.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xemnyx/saved/2wcU

Is the 770 a worthwhile upgrade compared to the 7950 or 7970? or would I be better off with the latter? How about the case? Sufficient air flow for this build? Thanks to whoever takes the time to answer these questions. Much appreciated.

Gav47

Has it been confirmed that Broadwell will be released next year or is it a Haswell refresh? If it is a refresh should I upgrade my i5 760 to a 4760k, I really don't want to overcloack as my PC gets loud enough as it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom