• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Unrelated to my melting overclocks, one of my HDDs is showing up as bad in Windows and S.M.A.R.T. I've had it for a while now, so it's not like a DoA new drive or anything.

Luckily, it's my "TV & Movies" drive. Unluckly, it's 2TB so will a) cost a bit to replace, and b) take forever to transfer the data.

It's the "Spin-Up Time" criteria, so there's no bad sectors or anything. Is this a lost cause/replace ASAP, or are we OK for now?

I generally replace a hard drive anytime it starts to act up. Hell I'll replace one if I drop it more than a few inches.

yatesl

£70 seems such a waste though, for data that's so... Well, pointless really, but I like to have a 'library' of videos for XBMC

gabbo

If you are running it to a 5.1 setup, I assume it's both powered and probably has it's own DAC. In that case, you'll just want undecoded out, which you can do through optical or HDMI depending on your specific setup.

Given how old the 5.1 system is, unsure if HDMI is really an option (logitech g51), but then I'm not the most informed on the intricacies of sound setups either.

HoosTrax

So I ordered that electric canned air that everyone's been raving about. Was about to ask if I should take the thing outside, or if it was sufficient just to blow it towards an open window.

Then I saw this video. Okkk, so I'll be taking that out into the garage at the very least :|...

tarheel91

Friend's got some RAM he doesn't need, and it's very similar to mine, but I had some questions:

-I've got 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw Series (CL9-9-9-24)

-He's got 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X Series (exact same specs)

-He's got 1x8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X series (CL10-10-10-30)

Are there any real differences between the 2 "series?" As far as I can tell the only difference is the cooler.

Any chance I could run 2x8GB + 2x4GB or would the different latencies be less than ideal and I'd be better off going 4x4GB?

Bumping since it was ignored on the last page.

brentech

Looks like one of those systems that has never been cleaned before. I have the same brand blower made for drying cars. Same size, slightly more powerful. I wouldn't use it on a PC.

bro1

Banned
I have an Asus DGX sound card with Dolby Surround for Headphones. Do I need special headphones for that or will my Sennheiser 595 work in that mode? Or should they just stay in 2 channel?

also I'm seeing this pci 3.0 on the boxes?? I have an older pic express slot on my motherboard. Its about 1 years old so maybe thats considered 2.0? Card still works with that right?

Damian.

Banned
also I'm seeing this pci 3.0 on the boxes?? I have an older pic express slot on my motherboard. Its about 1 years old so maybe thats considered 2.0? Card still works with that right?

Card will still work fine with the added benefit of a possible 5% or more performance increase if you ever upgrade to a PCI 3.0 motherboard.

bro1

Banned

I have the MSI one and it's good. Drivers suck right now, but the card is quiet. Just wish I wouldn't get once a day "driver has stopped responding error" on an entirely stock and stable system. Every single morning. Rest of the day is fine.

mkenyon

Banned
I have an Asus DGX sound card with Dolby Surround for Headphones. Do I need special headphones for that or will my Sennheiser 595 work in that mode? Or should they just stay in 2 channel?
Dolby Headphone is virtualized surround sound. Your 595s will work great with that.
Card will still work fine with the added benefit of a possible 5% or more performance increase if you ever upgrade to a PCI 3.0 motherboard.
Nah, it's not bottlenecked at all. 690 is the only one still, and Titan in some rare instances.

Any headphones will work with it.

Use n0n44m's guide: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=65549131
or
This Steam forums guide: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33899621&postcount=27

That helped me. The surround simulation works on my mediocre headphones. I was hearing a running faucet behind while that gangster guy yelled at me in Sleeping Dogs, yay!

Addnan

I have the MSI one and it's good. Drivers suck right now, but the card is quiet. Just wish I wouldn't get once a day "driver has stopped responding error" on an entirely stock and stable system. Every single morning. Rest of the day is fine.

Tried the new beta drivers?

Just ordered the gigabyte one off amazon. Will be here on tuesday. Pop that bad boy in to my pc that already has 24gigs of ram. Gonna start off with the Witcher 2!!!

bro1

Banned
Tried the new beta drivers?

Yup. It's only in the morning though after it's been sitting there for 12 hours or so. Not is sleep mode, just the monitor shut off.

Games that I've played on the drivers are CODMW3 and DA:2. Both are fine and run well. On the last WHQL drivers, BF3 and TR were a complete mess. Haven't tried them yet

What do you guys think about this comp I'm considering buying? It's 700.

Dell Outlet XPS 8500 Desktop
Processor: Intel Core 3rd Gen i7-3770 Processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)
8GB, DDR3 UDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, Non-ECC (2 DIMMs)
1TB Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, 7200rpm, SATA
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0
Windows 8
Black Chassis w/19:1 media card reader
English Keyboard
Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
XPS 8500: 1 Year Premium Protection Package (Premium Phone Support + In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis + Acc Dam Svc) (Included in Price)

Replaced stock graphics card with
MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Would I be able to upgrade this? Should I just build my own?

So I've been screwing around with some image-quality related stuff and I need some clarification of a few things.

Regarding triple-buffering: I've seen triple-buffering being referred to as "cost-free", and I've also seen it being referred to as "if your graphics card can handle it...". So which is it? Is triple buffering more taxing on a GPU than v-sync?

Regarding triple-buffering + v-sync: I've read that you shouldn't have both enabled at once, and that triple-buffering is clearly better than v-sync. However, when I play Team Fortress 2 I get a very jittery camera on mouselook unless I have BOTH triple-buffering + v-sync on. Enabling just one, either one, gives the jittery mouselook. That jitter is not related to framerate, as I get 120+ FPS with v-sync off and like I mentioned, even with triple-buffering and no v-sync there's that jitter at 120+ FPS. It might be related only to TF2, since that game is kind of a mess on a technical level at this point.

Regarding D3DOverrider: Should I be using that for practically every game? Any disadvantages, in terms of some games not playing nice with it?

Smokey

What do you guys think about this comp I'm considering buying? It's 700.

Dell Outlet XPS 8500 Desktop
Processor: Intel Core 3rd Gen i7-3770 Processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)
8GB, DDR3 UDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, Non-ECC (2 DIMMs)i
1TB Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, 7200rpm, SATA
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0
Windows 8
Black Chassis w/19:1 media card reader
English Keyboard
Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
XPS 8500: 1 Year Premium Protection Package (Premium Phone Support + In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis + Acc Dam Svc) (Included in Price)

Replaced stock graphics card with
MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Would I be able to upgrade this? Should I just build my own?

Bro you buy that I'm putting you on ignore and taking your soul everytime in nba2k14

Diablos

Question: I'm using a 95W FX 6300 CPU and running Prime95.

Using HWiNFO64 I'm noticing a 10C variance between two sensors.

The CPU 0 sensor states a max of 57-58C while running Prime95.
However, there is also a Fintek sensor that has it at 67-68C. Which one is accurate? I believe max TDP for FX series CPU's is 61-62C if you don't want to significantly shorten its lifespan (for the 125W ones anyway - not sure about mine)

There is also an 'Auxiliary' reading of 58C and a "T1/D1+" reading of 67-68C while benching. Anyway know what these are?
Anyone? :-\

mkenyon

Banned
More on the ModMic

It sounds basically identical to my Sennhesier PC-350 mic (which was broken last week), which means that it's fucking great. It feels a bit cheapish in comparison, but it's solidly on the headphones. Bumping/messing with it didn't make it fall off or anything. Absolutely fantastic part that I 100% fully endorse now.

But since I didn't want double mics on my PC-350s, I rationalized the purchase of some more equipment to fully upgrade my system to ultimate gaming audio.

Today these arrived:

2a20487e_quincy.jpg

$169 from Amazon Warehouse. F yeah. There's a few left at $174.

Also ordered this on Newegg, as it's $75 off:

Supposedly Creative's virtualized 5.1 is a bit better than Dolby Headphone. I'll let you guys know next week.

I have also ordered the ZXR card for my 595's. Very interested to hear your impressions. I guess I could post some of my own in time, but I have to actually build my comp first.

For those interested, the Creative ZXR deal ends in a couple of days (6/30 or 7/01, i dunno the add got replaced this morning), so you better hurry

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
GAF, I'm building a new PC from the ground up. I'm tired of my shitbox at home being unable to run anything. My Surface Pro runs games smoother.

Here is basically the list of parts I'm thinking of ordering. Any input on better components or anything I should add would be super helpful.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ceallach/saved/1HEo

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Combo or $349.99
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM $62.18
Motherboard ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Combo or $174.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 $159.99
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM $115.53
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB $499.99
Sound Card Asus Xonar DG $27.99
Wireless Network Adapter D-Link DWA-182 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 2.0 $55.85
Case Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower $110.49
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Geoff9920

So tempted to build a PC when I see this thread... nothing celebrates my government job being furloughed quite like spending ~$1500 on a new PC. :p

current machine:
CPU: i7 860 @ 3.4
Motherboard: Asus P7P55DE-D
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333
Video Card: GTX 680 (This would stay)

hmm... worth upgrading? Too soon? I prefer 1080p @ 60fps.

tarheel91

So tempted to build a PC when I see this thread... nothing celebrates my government job being furloughed quite like spending ~$1500 on a new PC. :p

current machine:

I dunno if you're going to see much improvement. Might as well wait until 800/9000 series video cards come out.

mkenyon

Banned

current machine:

You could OC your processor more and wait till Ivy-E or Haswell-E drops.

Geoff9920

I dunno if you're going to see much improvement. Might as well wait until 800/9000 series video cards come out.
Yeah, I guess I should add a bit more background info...

- Current machine is prebuilt from falcon northwest... The outside looks great but the inside is not so great. So a new more build friendly case would be very welcome.
- Current HDD is 500GB... no SSD. I would switch the main drive to an SSD. Switching out HDDs in the current case is a pain.
- CPU upgrade i7 860 -> Haswell

Roland1979

I think you should see how you feel after running it from onboard. If you don't like it then get a sound card, but onboard stuff has improved a lot.

You could say the same for onboard graphics. Sound is important as well, it's just you need good headphones or speakers as well (headphones are preferred). Otherwise it's pointless.

kennah

Yeah, I guess I should add a bit more background info...

- Current machine is prebuilt from falcon northwest... The outside looks great but the inside is not so great. So a new more build friendly case would be very welcome.
- Current HDD is 500GB... no SSD. I would switch the main drive to an SSD. Switching out HDDs in the current case is a pain.
- CPU upgrade i7 860 -> Haswell

Hmmm. Well looks like you're looking for an excuse to upgrade. You could probably get a couple hundred for your old parts still. That i7 isn't far behind from a gaming perspective. Go for it man. If you got the money and the will then go ahead. Just don't expect a signifigant upgrade in your performance.

Geoff9920

Hmmm. Well looks like you're looking for an excuse to upgrade. You could probably get a couple hundred for your old parts still. That i7 isn't far behind from a gaming perspective. Go for it man. If you got the money and the will then go ahead. Just don't expect a signifigant upgrade in your performance.
Yeah, I think I'll be better off just waiting for Ivy-E or Haswell-E.

Thanks all. :)

n0n44m

Any headphones will work with it.

Use n0n44m's guide: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=65549131
or
This Steam forums guide: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33899621&postcount=27

That helped me. The surround simulation works on my mediocre headphones. I was hearing a running faucet behind while that gangster guy yelled at me in Sleeping Dogs, yay!

yeah I've got a 595 + DGX as well myself, works great

also I just kinda totally ripped that Steam post for my "guide" , but it would be nice to have something on virtual surround audio in the OP as the Xonar DGX is mentioned in most builds and is quite capable IMHO :) also there's that Razer software that's free at the moment ... haven't tried that yet

More on the ModMic

It sounds basically identical to my Sennhesier PC-350 mic (which was broken last week), which means that it's fucking great. It feels a bit cheapish in comparison, but it's solidly on the headphones. Bumping/messing with it didn't make it fall off or anything. Absolutely fantastic part that I 100% fully endorse now.

(...)

Supposedly Creative's virtualized 5.1 is a bit better than Dolby Headphone. I'll let you guys know next week.

hmm I should order one of those ModMic's I guess

that Creative looks good ... will be interesting to hear how it sounds !

GAF, I'm building a new PC from the ground up. I'm tired of my shitbox at home being unable to run anything. My Surface Pro runs games smoother.

Sound Card Asus Xonar DG $27.99

get the DGX as it's PCI-e, unless you need a PCI sound card for some reason

Nightz

My GTX 670 is coming back from Gigabyte RMA today. Took exactly 2 weeks from when I started the process. Not bad considering the horror stories I've read. The real test though is if it actually works when I plug it in.

bro1

Banned
More on the ModMic

But since I didn't want double mics on my PC-350s, I rationalized the purchase of some more equipment to fully upgrade my system to ultimate gaming audio.

Today these arrived:

$169 from Amazon Warehouse. F yeah. There's a few left at $174.

Also ordered this on Newegg, as it's $75 off:

what slots does that card go in? Everytime I looked at sound cards they take up the pci slot that I need for the video card?

vilmer_

So the 900D just got here and holy hell is it ever MASSIVE. I knew it would be big but this thing is an absolute monster :lol

silentQ

Hi so I finally have my build up and running..sort of(My Graphics Card is on its way) but I was wondering what is the best temperature monitoring software or what do you guys use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom