• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaxh

DvKrVCo.jpg

Here they are! The CPU is the 3570k. I'm quite satisfied with it even if I havn't played any games besides TF2 as the Steam Sale refuses to start. Do you recommend any easy OC to gain some extra performance? I haven't had time to read about it but I hope to do it soon.

Just wanna thank all the users that helped me pick these parts and I'll be sticking in this thread cause the seed is now planted in me.

Roland1979

What kind of RAM speed (and latency) would a i5-3750k on a ASRock Z77 Extreme6 allow, assuming you overclock? I've read a lot about the 1600Mhz sweet spot, but since I'm "only" getting 8GB of RAM and the price jumps are so low for G Skill i at least want to know. I've also read to go with speed over latency. Is it a good approach to first know what speed it will support then to choose that speed's model with as low a latency for the best price possible?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Hey guys, I'm lookin to replace my dead laptop with a new PC and finally get a computer that's at least capable of playing games (the intel express graphics on this laptop have been a pain in my ass for over half a decade now).

I'm looking at the OP and the big jpg of Hazaro's builds. My sub-$1k budget means I'm looking at his "Standard - Very Capable" build and that seems like it would do fine by me, but I'm trying to find something pre-fab that's similar so I don't have to put it together myself, not that I'm incapable, I'm just older and don't care as much as I used to so I don't wanna mess around electronics anymore. Is there any reason not to get something like the basement tier Alienware here which seems to have pretty comparable specs when it's almost the exact same price?

If so anybody got any other recommendations for a capable pre-built machine I can just buy and call it a day?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just ordered a GTX TITAN, can't wait to get back into pc gaming :)
What drivers are best for a titan these days? I heard about the issues with the 320.18 drivers.

kennah

What kind of RAM speed (and latency) would a i5-3750k on a ASRock Z77 Extreme6 allow, assuming you overclock? I've read a lot about the 1600Mhz sweet spot, but since I'm "only" getting 8GB of RAM and the price jumps are so low for G Skill i at least want to know. I've also read to go with speed over latency. Is it a good approach to first know what speed it will support then to choose that speed's model with as low a latency for the best price possible?

Go with 1600 mhz. Unless you are trying to benchmark or using extremely ram intensive workstation software there is minimal difference between the speeds.

What drivers are best for a titan these days? I heard about the issues with the 320.18 drivers.
The issues are only with BF3 or older cards. You're fine with whichever for the Titan

Addnan

Titan is quite the way to get back into PC gaming!

Shouldn't be a problem, but if you want to be really careful you can jump on to the beta drivers which solves any issues that 320.18 had.

knitoe

Lastest beta drivers. And, I didn't have any issues with 320.18 drivers running SLI Titans. From I read, possible issues with older cards.

Durante

I just noticed that if you want an overclockable i7, going LGA 2011 is actually not much more expensive than going with the mainstream sockets. I always thought the price differential would be larger.

Mr. Hyde

Bloody hell. I ran Aida 64 for 15 hours stressing the fpu, CPU, ram and cache. It maxed out at 78c on a i5-4670k at 4ghz 1.15v locked. I decided this morning to just stress the fpu and it went to 100c. I think I might replace my hyper 212 evo with the Noctua I keep hearing about. I miss the size of the Tuniq tower I used to have.

kennah

I just noticed that if you want an overclockable i7, going LGA 2011 is actually not much more expensive than going with the mainstream sockets. I always thought the price differential would be larger.
The cpu is about the same but the motherboards can be a fair bit more expensive.

TheStevo

Banned
Been rocking the GTX 480 since April of 2010, and I'm trying to debate whether it's time to upgrade--but I don't think I want to drop over $500 again on a graphics card. The GTX 760 looks really good at this point giving 670ish performance for only $250. And in the future, I can always grab a second one and SLI it. Good idea to look down this path?

Durante

The cpu is about the same but the motherboards can be a fair bit more expensive.
Yeah, here you pay around 40€ more for a similarly featured LGA2011 MB compared to a 1155. However, the CPU is actually slightly cheaper, and that doesn't seem such a high price to pay for the doubled memory bus width and increase in PCIe lanes and cache. I just thought the 2011 stuff was more overpriced.

What is the better 760? The EVGA ACX 760 or the MSI Twin Frozr 760?

Looking at reviews, it seems like performance wise they're basically the same but sound and cooling wise, a lot of reviews seem like the MSI is really good. Yet there was a Newegg review for the MSI saying the Twin Frozr fans are cheap? I've never had an MSI card, so I don't know.

With the EVGA, I keep reading reviews saying that the ACX cooling system actually isn't that much better cooling than the stock configuration and its not that quiet either.

Is either 760 likely fine?

kennah

Yeah, here you pay around 40€ more for a similarly featured LGA2011 MB compared to a 1155. However, the CPU is actually slightly cheaper, and that doesn't seem such a high price to pay for the doubled memory bus width and increase in PCIe lanes and cache. I just thought the 2011 stuff was more overpriced.
Totally. If you have the means it is the much better choice these days.

I just installed windows 8 on my main machine because I'm apparently a masochist.

Is there any way to let steam modify its contents without having to right-click run as administrator?

I gave everything write access to everything on that drive and everything.

edit: changing the owner of the drive seemed to fix it.

Addnan

Looking at reviews, it seems like performance wise they're basically the same but sound and cooling wise, a lot of reviews seem like the MSI is really good. Yet there was a Newegg review for the MSI saying the Twin Frozr fans are cheap? I've never had an MSI card, so I don't know.

With the EVGA, I keep reading reviews saying that the ACX cooling system actually isn't that much better cooling than the stock configuration and its not that quiet either.

Shouldn't matter either way, but I've heard nothing but great thing about twin frozr version of cards.

kharma45

both are good, go EVGA for the warranty/RMA service.

both are good, go EVGA for the warranty/RMA service.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the EVGA, if only because I had an old EVGA 7900 back in the day and even when I had to have it replaced, their customer service was really good in getting it replaced quickly and without any hassle.

And it looks like the EVGA 760 is a little shorter than the MSI version. Both would likely fit in my case (Storm Scout, only fits 10.5" cards) but the EVGA would give me some wiggle room.

PhaZZe

Banned
I need help guys, i dont know what i need to upgrade.
im playing games like Dota 2, Bioshock Infinite and the last games in 1920x1080 and i always try achieve 60 fps.
I want to change my AMD VGA for Nvidia (i always have problems with AMD like artifacts)
What i need next? CPU (maybe intel), RAM? please give me suggestions.

Thanks

This is my actual PC

M3z_

I have 2 ACX 780's and I can keep them both under 70c while running at over 1200mhz with not that much noise. From what I have seen the stock coolers routinely hit 80c in there attempts to overclock.

So I was finalizing the costs of the parts for the PC I'm gonna build, and I remembered that I'm gonna have to install Windows (duh, I know). Jesus, I had no idea Windows 7 was still $100! Wtf, why is it so expensive?

Anyway, that's when I got wondering about the Windows 7 on my laptop. I heard that mass-produced computers like mine often have a different Windows 7 key than the one that is actually shown on the sticker. I downloaded ProduKey and yep, my working Windows 7 key does not match the key that's on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop. Does that mean... I can use the key on the sticker for my new PC? All I'd have to do is find a Windows 7 installation CD right? I think my friends have some.

Tomas

Banned
So I was finalizing the costs of the parts for the PC I'm gonna build, and I remembered that I'm gonna have to install Windows (duh, I know). Jesus, I had no idea Windows 7 was still $100! Wtf, why is it so expensive?

Anyway, that's when I got wondering about the Windows 7 on my laptop. I heard that mass-produced computers like mine often have a different Windows 7 key than the one that is actually shown on the sticker. I downloaded ProduKey and yep, my working Windows 7 key does not match the key that's on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop. Does that mean... I can use the key on the sticker for my new PC? All I'd have to do is find a Windows 7 installation CD right? I think my friends have some.

I think you can download Windows installation officially (TPB also has a copy). There is a tool to load Windows into USB.

Increase the offset number until you hit 1.28V or more. Another way, some settings, like LLC, add more voltages the higher the settings you use under CPU load. Going this route could lead to you to using a smaller offset number and still reach 1.28V under load.

Late to replay but thanks for the tip, took a while but I finally found the sweet spot and ran the stress test for 14+ hours with temps peaking at the high 80s, very happy about the results.

Credo

I've been considering upgrading my PC sometime in the next year, and I hoped to get some thoughts about the CPU to buy or if I even need to bother upgrading. And just for reference, I can follow instructions enough to put my own PC together, but when it comes to OCing and things like that, I'm pretty ignorant.

I use my PC primarily for gaming and was thinking about buying an i7-4770k to replace my current i7-950. However, a friend who just upgraded his PC said that Haswells are known for running hot and that he would look into going back a generation to buy an i7-3770k.

Based on any press releases or on Intel's past actions, do any of you think Intel will release revised versions of the Haswell CPUs that run cooler? If not, would you consider buying an i7-3770k to replace the current CPU or wait until Intel releases its next generation of processors, whenever that may be?

Addnan

I've been considering upgrading my PC sometime in the next year, and I hoped to get some thoughts about the CPU to buy or if I even need to bother upgrading. And just for reference, I can follow instructions enough to put my own PC together, but when it comes to OCing and things like that, I'm pretty ignorant.

I use my PC primarily for gaming and was thinking about buying an i7-4770k to replace my current i7-950. However, a friend who just upgraded his PC said that Haswells are known for running hot and that he would look into going back a generation to buy an i7-3770k.

Based on any press releases or on Intel's past actions, do any of you think Intel will release revised versions of the Haswell CPUs that run cooler? If not, would you consider buying an i7-3770k to replace the current CPU or wait until Intel releases its next generation of processors, whenever that may be?

A lot of people in here are going with Ivy over Haswell because of heat and OC issues.

You should OC you i7 and get some free performance from that and then see whether you want to upgrade.

They are supposed to be updating the Haswell next year, but doubt they are going to make it more OC friendly.

Mad Max

Honestly the difference in OC potential isn't that big between IB and Haswell.
Most Haswell K chips seem to end up somewhere around 4.5GHz stable if you have decent cooling, above that most people run into the heat wall. For IB I'd say your average stable OC is similar (around 4.5), however there have been a few great batches that can sometimes do 5Ghz even on a high end air cooler (a delid is often needed for this though, since IB also has a TIM problem).

The difference in per clock performance is about ~5% in favor of Haswell for most stuff excluding emulation.

Therefore I'd advise you to make the decision based on price and chipset features. In the US IB chips can be had for pretty low prices compared to haswell it seems, so in that case IB is probably the best option unless you want more native sata3 or USB3 ports maybe. In the EU the price difference is often only a few €, so in that case I'd go with haswell (which I did) since the socket will be supported by intel for atleast 1.5 years or so and the boards are often nicely featured.

I think you can download Windows installation officially (TPB also has a copy). There is a tool to load Windows into USB.

Ok cool. So I'll just download it and install, and I read that I might have to call Microsoft and tell them that I'm no longer using the Windows 7 on my old computer? I read this on the Tom's Hardware board:

I've moved OEM copies of XP and Vista to new computers that I've built.

When you get to the activation step, you're prompted to call MS. Sometimes I've gotten an automated system and other times I've gotten a live rep.

I explain that I've either had to replace the MB or that I've built a new computer and disassembled the old one. If dealing with the automated system, the main question to listen for is when it asks how many computers this copy of Windows will be installed on. You have to answer 'One'.

I've never been refused an activation. I've always been honest and told them I'm either upgrading or building a new computer and that the old one has been disassembled and some of the parts sold on Ebay and some used in the new computer.

I haven't tried it yet with Win 7, and I know that although the EULA on all OEM copies technically ties it to just one MB, I've never been refused a re-activation. If you had bought a computer from, say.., Dell..., they wouldn't refuse an activation if you had to replace a defective MB.

As I said, I'm always honest about what I'm doing and don't try to install it on more than one computer at a time. They've always been helpful..., (so far).

*sigh* Been here before and got good info on upgrading since my computer was acting up. It stopped for a while so I held off on upgrade. Now 2 of my 4 ram slots randomly stopped working (all memory works in the good ones, i get errors in the other two, 4x 2gb).

So now with having to get new ram, it cuts into my processor budget. Do I lose a lot if I go with the i3 3220 over an i5? It's close to 100 bucks difference. I figure it wouldn't be a big deal as a 'temporary' cpu until I can get an i5 (sometime in the fall/winter).

kharma45

*sigh* Been here before and got good info on upgrading since my computer was acting up. It stopped for a while so I held off on upgrade. Now 2 of my 4 ram slots randomly stopped working (all memory works in the good ones, i get errors in the other two, 4x 2gb).

So now with having to get new ram, it cuts into my processor budget. Do I lose a lot if I go with the i3 3220 over an i5? It's close to 100 bucks difference. I figure it wouldn't be a big deal as a 'temporary' cpu until I can get an i5 (sometime in the fall/winter).

Why would you need new RAM if it all works?

Some of the boards on Newegg come with 8GB of RAM for free if that's of any use? You could pair it with one of the faster DIMMS giving you 10GB of dual channel.

Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130687or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645

That's about what I was going to pay anyway for both mobo and ram so ill just get the ram at a later date. My budget is tight right now.

Also combining two different speeds of ram shouldn't be an issue. Most 8gb ends up being 2x4gb so theoretically I could use two of the good sticks I have for 12gb or will I run into weird issues doing that?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
*Exasperated sigh* .... I've dropped more than $300 on this acrylic tubing by itself... and I'm very close to just cutting my losses. First I ordered the Primochill rigid tubing - their half-inch stuff - and their rigid ghost compression fittings. Well, unfortunately, those new fittings just weren't very good as most people know by now.

So I ordered e22 tube and their fittings. Freaking crap I can't find ANYTHING to put inside to bend. I bought the heat gun. I bought the bending tool. $30 and $30. I bought a hobby hack saw. etc.

I've purchased every size spring I can find. I've driven miles and miles trying to find silicone or something like it that will fit. Nobody has it. I've ordered some online, it doesn't work. Every freaking thing I try causes kinks in the bend, the bend breaks, or the object gets stuck in the tube. Arg.

I have one more thing coming - from Australia - that is supposedly perfectly sized and works well. I gotta wait a couple weeks for it to get here :( If that doesn't work, I think I'll cut my loses and go with regular tubing. I don't want to - but I don't know what else to try. I've been patient, I've tried low heat, high heat, making sure I turn regularly - I've given it every idea I've got. *sad face*

Everything else looks great, though! Cables arrived today and they look fantastic. A bit loose right now and not perfectly aligned, but I'll get to it. They're beautiful - thanks mkenyon! I've got the res attached to my radiator in front, it looks great. The fittings themselevs are surprisingly nice looking and match well. PSU is installed.Also got the GPU all fixed up after EK sent me an extra screw. I got the PCI slot covers screwed in. I've decided to forgo the HDD cages, and I'll mount my two SSDs on the back. I can use external drives for media - besides, at this point, why do I want anything other than flash, anyway. Fans are all installed - wires are routed to the back.

At this point, other than getting the Blu-Ray drive matte'd up and installed, everything is pretty much good for installation.

That said, Little Devil never sent the replacement front USB cables they initially forgot and said they'd re-send out. Again, I've said this before - the case is wonderful, it really is. But I gotta be honest, I don't think I'd ever buy a case from them again. For nearly $500, I feel like I'm constantly "needing" things and/or something doesn't match. Also... how am I supposed to mount the front power and reset buttons? Seems like another piece is possibly missing - I wouldn't know; the case comes with zero documentation.

Eh, I'm being a bit negative - I'm just sick of spending more and more money, and buying the best of the best - not cheaping out - and still having problems. About two months into the project and I'm getting kind of anxious - especially considering I could very well have a faulty mobo or PSU or anything - who knows if stuff was DOA.

I know when it's all said and done - assuming I don't run into any more critical issues - it'll be beautiful and I'll love it. But I'm a tad frustrated right this moment :(

9170743084_08633ac102_c.jpg

9168521723_204d5068f4_c.jpg

9168522303_e22b474471_c.jpg

9170741686_75aa816742_c.jpg

9168520779_cacfdec776_c.jpg

9168521317_93be62fbbd_c.jpg

9168519103_85a63c9c69_c.jpg

Sheaths installed:

9170739856_eef31c0acd_c.jpg

And all that wasted money:

9170741332_0382d75dd0_c.jpg

Oh so you're not going for a Z75/77 board then? If you're getting a K series i5 it's best to do so to make full use of it.

Nah. Spent more money on a better gpu instead.

Also could I do 2x4gb in the two slots then use two of the 2gb sticks for 12gb or am I going to run into issues that way? I don't think it should be?

I am buying a massive new TV for the living room and I am wanting to take advantage of comfy couch PC gaming. I want to keep my desktop PC in my own room though so that I can play stuff like Counter Strike and RTS games on my keyboard and mouse.

So my questions are twofold:

1. is a long HDMI cable (about 15m) going from my PC to the living room viable? it won't introduce input lag?
2. will the 360 controller's wireless signal be able to handle a 10-15m range and penetrate two thin walls separating the rooms? Edit: nevermind on this, used my 360 to test and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom