• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris.

Banned
Haha. I think the longest I had to wait between my first components to actually booting up a new PC was two weeks. Although if there's a large enough gap between the announcement of the 8xx series and its actual release date, I'll probably put myself in a similar situation.

On a side note, I've never actually bothered hooking up my PC to my plasma TV yet to see how it looks for movies and games...it's pretty goddamn heavy to lug around. Going to be giving it a thorough cleaning today, so while I'm at it, I'm going to actually put this mini HDMI adapter plug to use and see if I have anything extra to look forward to with my next build, since I'm trying to go for portability.

Yeah, I've been forced to buy piece by piece each payday. It kinda sucks, but eh, I have a laptop to contain my internet urges and a PS3 for gaming while I wait. It's been so long since I've built a desktop, though.

I always hear people talking about having a good quality PSU. Can someone recommend me a 750w modular one.

I have a 750w corsair bronze and there are so many wires it's just making a mess of my case.

kennah

Yeah, I've been forced to buy piece by piece each payday. It kinda sucks, but eh, I have a laptop to contain my internet urges and a PS3 for gaming while I wait. It's been so long since I've built a desktop, though.
I started my build in August of 2012. I'm hoping to complete it this year.

Any thoughts on the Silverstone SG09/10 SFF case?
The SG09 is a little ugly in my opinion, but I love the SG05/6. These should be good. SUPER TIGHT though, so be careful of your PSU choice.

I always hear people talking about having a good quality PSU. Can someone recommend me a 750w modular one.

I have a 750w corsair bronze and there are so many wires it's just making a mess of my case.
Budget?

JimPanzer

ok I'm currently running the i5 3570k at 4.4 GHz and set the voltage to 1.25 V. however, in CPU-Z the voltage doesn't get this high when running the prime95 stress test. is this normal behaviour?
CPU is at 43°C and fan at 1200 RPM while stress testing.

ok I'm currently running the i5 3570k at 4.4 GHz and set the voltage to 1.25 V. however, in CPU-Z the voltage doesn't get this high when running the prime95 stress test. is this normal behaviour?
CPU is at 43°C and fan at 1200 RPM while stress testing.

I think Windows runs all CPUs at like .05v lower as a safety measure.

I started my build in August of 2012. I'm hoping to complete it this year.

The SG09 is a little ugly in my opinion, but I love the SG05/6. These should be good. SUPER TIGHT though, so be careful of your PSU choice.

Budget?

I have a Corsair HX750 and also running a GTX770 ACX. I think the SG05/06 might be too tight of a case.

Dawg

Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe is the best Z77 mITX board for overclocking and gaming, right?

That one, with a Noctua NH-U12S should fit the prodigy, right?

kennah

Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe is the best Z77 mITX board for overclocking and gaming, right?

That one, with a Noctua NH-U12S should fit the prodigy, right?

Yep and Yep.

uzhyS.jpg

What happened to the IMPACT deal? (Or am I thinking of someone else?)

So I bought a new PSU. No luck.
Took it to a tech and it turns out my motherboard is fried.

It was a Asrock Z77 pro4. Had it for less than a year.

Fuck my life.
Fuck it hard.

No idea what to do next. Everything has gone to shit.

AcridMeat

Banned
Hey guys. I read through the OP as to get an idea of what sort of parts I'd like for a new build. I'm going to order parts around November/cyber Monday depending on if there are sales for individual parts I want.

I'm going to strip out the hard drives (2tb & 500gb), PSU (650w), GPU (560ti) and dvd drive out of my current PC,

which leaves me with the case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, an SSD (for the OS), and the OS to buy.

I know the 560ti is old by now, but in the current machine it has never been pushed at all, so I'm happy just slotting it into this new build for now unless people can convince me otherwise to drop the extra couple hundred on a new card as well.

As for parts I know I'd like an i7 this time around, as I went for a modest e8400 back in 2008 and it was a bottleneck earlier than I'd like. So I want to future proof this system more. If you can convince me the 4670k will be fine for that, then I won't need a 4770k and that would be nice.

As for the RAM, I'm not sure which is the best anymore and the case, I have an antec 300 currently, though it has been a little beat up over the years. I'd like to try a different case for this build, as my hands are big and it was a bit tough getting in certain spots at times.

Thank you guys!

Sanctuary

What happened to the IMPACT deal? (Or am I thinking of someone else?)

It was Dawg. Anyway, the inside of that case is just so smart. Cable management might be a chore, but it was in the majority of cases prior to the Corsair series and a few more expensive cases before that. I love flat motherboard designs. It's just soooo good for moving the case around. The layout looks boss for cooling too. Too bad it still doesn't support an external soundcard though, and I don't care how good the Maximus is supposed to be, there's no way it's as good as an STX, so I'll be staying with mATX for now.

BPoole

I'm considering one of these 2 combination of parts to finish up my friends build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $720.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-15 08:39 EDT-0400)

OR...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $730.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-15 08:40 EDT-0400)

He has specific need of an optical digital output for his motherboard. I will be overclocking the system for him. The 7970 here only makes sense because it combos with the memory reducing the cost by $19. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward the IvyBridge because it seems like I'll have fewer overclocking concerns.

Parts I already have:
Corsair 200R
Corsair TX650
CM Hyper 212 Plus
You did notice that the motherboard in your second build is a Micro ATX, right? That may have been intentional but the motherboard in the first build is regular ATX so I wasn't sure if you were aware

You did notice that the motherboard in your second build is a Micro ATX, right? That may have been intentional but the motherboard in the first build is regular ATX so I wasn't sure if you were aware

Yup, I noticed. The case will handle either. The 1150 motherboard just happens to be part of a combo deal with the CPU and I'm bending over backward here to get the absolute most out of his budget.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on the IvyBridge components.

BPoole

Yup, I noticed. The case will handle either. The 1150 motherboard just happens to be part of a combo deal with the CPU and I'm bending over backward here to get the absolute most out of his budget.
Gotcha

Any reason in particular why you're going with the 7970 over the 280x?

Gotcha

The 7970 and the memory are part of a combo deal so it's -$19 for the combo and -$20 for MIR so a 280X ends up making the total cost at least an additional $40. Possibly more with shipping and having to find different memory because that particular memory can only be purchased as part of a combo. It also has a nice little factory overclock, so the difference performance-wise should be negligible. (There's also the 3 free game promo, though that isn't too big a deal)

kennah

Hey guys. I read through the OP as to get an idea of what sort of parts I'd like for a new build. I'm going to order parts around November/cyber Monday depending on if there are sales for individual parts I want.

I'm going to strip out the hard drives (2tb & 500gb), PSU (650w), GPU (560ti) and dvd drive out of my current PC,

which leaves me with the case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, an SSD (for the OS), and the OS to buy.

I know the 560ti is old by now, but in the current machine it has never been pushed at all, so I'm happy just slotting it into this new build for now unless people can convince me otherwise to drop the extra couple hundred on a new card as well.

As for parts I know I'd like an i7 this time around, as I went for a modest e8400 back in 2008 and it was a bottleneck earlier than I'd like. So I want to future proof this system more. If you can convince me the 4670k will be fine for that, then I won't need a 4770k and that would be nice.

As for the RAM, I'm not sure which is the best anymore and the case, I have an antec 300 currently, though it has been a little beat up over the years. I'd like to try a different case for this build, as my hands are big and it was a bit tough getting in certain spots at times.

Thank you guys!

Go for it! Your 560ti is still 'good enough' to tide you over until the next batch of cards. Use the money you save on the 4770K. There isn't a 'best' RAM anymore. Get something that is 1.5volts, low profile and cheap. Case - look into the Fractal R4. Beautiful case to work with.

I love flat motherboard designs. It's just soooo good for moving the case around.

Me too. Some really great designs coming out of this trend.

Gotcha

They are literally the same card. Just different names and stickers.

Guy who wanted to trade it sold it faster than I could say "Sure!" ;-;

Worst news ever :( I'm sorry for your loss.

BPoole

The 7970 and the memory are part of a combo deal so it's -$19 for the combo and -$20 for MIR so a 280X ends up making the total cost at least an additional $40. Possibly more with shipping and having to find different memory because that particular memory can only be purchased as part of a combo. It also has a nice little factory overclock, so the difference performance-wise should be negligible.
I understand you're trying to budget this, but when you're already spending $700+ dollars, is $40 really that much more? Especially considering the performance upgrade. Afaik, the 280x is faster than the 7970GE, so you would get better performance, and possibly more longevity out of the card. You could also get memory that is a bit cheaper and just got for 1600Mhz rather than 1833Mhz

I understand you're trying to budget this, but when you're already spending $700+ dollars, is $40 really that much more? Especially considering the performance upgrade. Afaik, the 280x is faster than the 7970GE, so you would get better performance, and possibly more longevity out of the card. You could also get memory that is a bit cheaper and just got for 1600Mhz rather than 1833Mhz

Personally, my recommendation to my friend is that whatever performance difference there is between a 7970 clocked at 950Mhz and a 280X at 1050Mhz is not worth $40+. I did consider it though because some of the 280X cards are clocked quite high. In the end, he has a pretty specific budget and exceeding it would really need serious justification.

kennah

Personally, my recommendation to my friend is that whatever performance difference there is between a 7970 clocked at 950Mhz and a 280X at 1050Mhz is not worth $40+. I did consider it though because some of the 280X cards are clocked quite high. In the end, he has a pretty specific budget and exceeding it would really need serious justification.

I agree with you.

adg1034

Finally decided to jump on the SSD bandwagon and will get one in December (yeah I know I'm early), have a question about the difference between some Samsung models, specifically:

This
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147253

vs

This
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147186

aside from being $60 more expensive ?

Actually, they look about $10 apart (the EVO kit is $198, while the vanilla 840 runs $210). Still, according to Anandtech's comparisons, you're very, very safe going with the EVO. Which, actually, is kind of a step up from the vanilla 840, not a downgrade.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I couldn't stand the wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and ordered these. AMD 8350,Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, NZXT Source 210 case and Hyper 212 EVO. My dilemma is that this I can't afford a new harddrive and currently using a prebuilt HP PC. I never experienced this before but HP spanned(I think that's the word) 2 500gb harddrives into 1TB. Would the new motherboard be able to detect this spanned harddrive?

PxZpXJS.jpg

kennah

An HP coming pre RAIDed makes no sense.

Have you looked inside the computer and seen that there are two physical drives there?

You'd need to reload your operating system anyway. Windows doesn't really like having the hardware changed on it in that large a scale.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
An HP coming pre RAIDed makes no sense.

Have you looked inside the computer and seen that there are two physical drives there?

You'd need to reload your operating system anyway. Windows doesn't really like having the hardware changed on it in that large a scale.

yeah theres 2 physical hard drives. I guess I'll start backing up the important stuff and then google how to "unraid" the harddrives? oh man why did I go prebuilt before

AcridMeat

Banned
Go for it! Your 560ti is still 'good enough' to tide you over until the next batch of cards. Use the money you save on the 4770K. There isn't a 'best' RAM anymore. Get something that is 1.5volts, low profile and cheap. Case - look into the Fractal R4. Beautiful case to work with.
Thanks this was my exact thought process as well. That fractal case looks beautiful, I think that may be the one.

Now, which 4770k exactly is the one I want? Aren't there a few out there?

kennah

yeah theres 2 physical hard drives. I guess I'll start backing up the important stuff and then google how to "unraid" the harddrives? oh man why did I go prebuilt before

You won't need to unraid anything. After backing them up just plug them in and the Windows reinstall will take care of formatting/partitioning.

Lum1n3s

Anyone know of a good PSU that I could get that could comfortably run a R280x for now and a crossfire setup of the two in the future. Looking at a budget of like 75-80$?

AcridMeat

Banned
no. Intel 4770K. 4770K is the exact specific model. 4770 or 4770K (also T , S) with the "K" meaning it will hate you with every waking moment if you do not overclock it :)
I don't want my cpu to hate me, but I don't plan on overclocking to start with. So should I just get a 4770 then? :p

Anton668

I don't want my cpu to hate me, but I don't plan on overclocking to start with. So should I just get a 4770 then? :p

if you absolutely never plan to overclock it is a complete waste of money to get a K chip.

but, overclocking is SO easy anymore and the price/performance gains are very worth it.

so, as you say "I don't plan on overclocking to start with" i'd grab the K chip which will leave you the option to OC in the future. Grab a 212 evo or the like while your at it as further incentive to OC.

kharma45

Acrid pls.

As a fellow F1 2011 leaguer, get a K model, Hyper 212 and a Z87 mobo. Overclocking is easy and you'll get a 20-30% performance boost for doing virtually nothing. Plus it'll help with frame times and help online too, as well as stuff like emulation.

AcridMeat

Banned
That was written more as a joke, I was going to get the K. Thanks for the advice on the motherboard though, can anyone vou- wait that's a generic model type isn't it? There are tons of them, which one would were you suggesting?

I've got a 212 in this current computer I can harvest as well.

kharma45

That was written more as a joke, I was going to get the K. Thanks for the advice on the motherboard though, can anyone vou- wait that's a generic model type isn't it? There are tons of them, which one would were you suggesting?

I've got a 212 in this current computer I can harvest as well.

Z87 is the chipset.

My recommendations are the Biostar Z87X, MSI G45 Gaming or the Gigabyte UD3H.

Lum1n3s

I see a good bit of Intel chip/Motherboard talk on this page, I have a couple questions along those lines.

I'm currently running an all-AMD system with a 7970 and a Phenom II x4 @ 4.0 Ghz.

1. Is my CPU bottlenecking me? For gaming specifically.
2. Would I be better off switching out my whole motherboard and getting a good Intel CPU? As opposed to just updating my CPU to, say, an FX-9370 8-core.

Either way I have an H80i that I will continue to use for cooling. I would really prefer to not spend more than $300, as I will also be updating to an R9 290x later this month.

kharma45

I see a good bit of Intel chip/Motherboard talk on this page, I have a couple questions along those lines.

I'm currently running an all-AMD system with a 7970 and a Phenom II x4 @ 4.0 Ghz.

1. Is my CPU bottlenecking me? For gaming specifically.
2. Would I be better off switching out my whole motherboard and getting a good Intel CPU? As opposed to just updating my CPU to, say, an FX-9370 8-core.

Either way I have an H80i that I will continue to use for cooling. I would really prefer to not spend more than $300, as I will also be updating to an R9 290x later this month.

That's still a generally capable CPU. If you want to upgrade save towards a Haswell-E build next year.

93xx chips from AMD are a joke frankly, steer welllllllllllllllll clear.

Thank you thank you, I had a question earlier here not sure if you saw it but the Sapphire Vapor R280x requires 750w minimum just for one card and 1000w for Crossfire. Are those specs accurate?

No, they're just to keep AMD safe from people with dodgy PSUs. What CPU are you running?

valouris

Quick question:

How does in-game AA and AF usually compare to same level ATi/Nvidia AA and AF (with in-game options off) in terms of:

1) Image Quality
2) Performance cost

Edit: I am completely OT aren't I? I don't think this question fits in any other PC thread better though :/

That's still a generally capable CPU. If you want to upgrade save towards a Haswell-E build next year.

93xx chips from AMD are a joke frankly, steer welllllllllllllllll clear.

I would be happy to not have to spend any more money! I think the Battlefield 4 beta spooked me a bit because of the absurd CPU usage, but that could just be a result of a poorly optimized beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom