• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3z_

Trying to put together a new PC but since i havent done it in awhile i need some advice so far its like this

CPU = I7-4770
Mobo = Gigabyte Z878-WIFI
Ram = 16gb G.skill Ripjaws
SSD = Samsung Pro 840 128gb
HDD = Whatever is 2tbs??
GFX = Gigabyte GTX770 4Gb OC
DVD = Something Black... Pioneer
CASE = BitFennix Prodigy Green
PSU = Corsair RM-650 80
OS = Windows 8

Are SSD's worth it? Do i really need one?
Is the GTX770 a decent card? I am completely lost with GTX cards.
What Brand/type HDD is reliable these days?
And will i need to spend on an aftermarket heatsink for the CPU? or is stock ok?

I would get a R9 280x over a GTX 770 4GB. It is a ton cheaper and will be every bit as powerful. If you think the 3GB v 4GB is going to matter give that thinking up. For one the 4GB 770's are on a 256 bus v. 384 bus. The AMD card can actually use all it's frame buffer efficiently the 770 can't.

It looks like the model 770 you have listed cost $450. Either save yourself $150 and get a R9 280x that will literally run side by side with that card or wait for AMD to release the R9 290 and see where that falls in terms of price.

I currently own 2 GTX 780's right now so please don't assume that I am just some AMD guy pushing that sort of agenda. AMD just currently wipes the floor of Nvidia in terms of value at the range of GFX card you are looking at.

solid mike

Mental ray is one of 3dsmax's render engines (the other ones being scanline, iray and quicksilver).
Mental ray doesn't use any gpu power to render...I don't know about vray (a famous renderer), but most of the ones included in 3DSMax doesn't use GPU when rendering...apart from iRay, which can use CPU and GPU (cuda graphic cards...so nvidia cards) and maybe quicksilver render (I'm not sure about this one).

Basically, when rendering 3d you need a LOT of CPU power (and a lot of ram). So go for the more cpu cores you can possibly get.

The GPUs will be mainly used for previews/ displaying the viewport.

Thanks for clearing this up. I already put more funds into CPU and RAM, while also adapting Quadro. Will probably post here about the new specs in a while.

Trying to put together a new PC but since i havent done it in awhile i need some advice so far its like this

CPU = I7-4770
Mobo = Gigabyte Z878-WIFI
Ram = 16gb G.skill Ripjaws
SSD = Samsung Pro 840 128gb
HDD = Whatever is 2tbs??
GFX = Gigabyte GTX770 4Gb OC
DVD = Something Black... Pioneer
CASE = BitFennix Prodigy Green
PSU = Corsair RM-650 80
OS = Windows 8

Are SSD's worth it? Do i really need one?
Is the GTX770 a decent card? I am completely lost with GTX cards.
What Brand/type HDD is reliable these days?
And will i need to spend on an aftermarket heatsink for the CPU? or is stock ok?

Do you have a 120 hz or 1440p monitor? If not i'd recommend an nvidia card so you can downsample to actually make use of that gpu power in most games.

Otherwise you could go with amd to save some money (and take a gamble with the drivers:p)
An alternative is a gtx 760, it's equivalent to the gtx 670 (the card everyone was buying before) , it has a much better price/performance ratio than the 770, it's like 15 percent slower I believe (but more than 100 euros cheaper)
the guy above is right , nvidia cards are overpriced right now, the high end especially.
If you want to downsample (can't see why anyone would not need this unless they have a multimonitor setup/1440p monitor/120hz monitor) you have no choice but to go nvidia though.

Your other questions are answered in the OP

WD blue are good hdds now (avoid WD black they are noisy and I think still use older 500GB platters)
I'd highly recommend getting an aftermarket cooler since you bought a k model cpu, intended for OCing
Stock coolers are noisy little shits, and a better cooler (also listed in the OP) gets you better cooling at much lower noise.

You definitely don't need an ssd, it's a choice wether you want it.
You get faster boot times (windows already boots pretty fast on a hdd) , opening browser etc will be a bit snappier and the games you install on them will load a faster
(not that loading times are an issue on pc...my 4 year old haggard hdd with damaged sectors still loads most games in seconds, hdds are very good at sequential read so they are good at loading games, it's random reads and access time that they suck at)

There are a few games that actually have some benifit from being installed on an ssd during gameplay (arma and Rage, maybe planetside 2) but they are few and far between
If you play them and have issues you could always install one afterwards.

If you want to save money on a gaming pc the ssd would be the obvious place to skim the fat. (saving on anything else is going to cost you performance or noise or build quality/reliability)

New post for a question:

anyone else have shit performance in youtube lately?
in 1080p /1440p mode many videos were getting awful framerates.

Randomly saw there's a way to force youtube to use html 5 instead of flash for playing videos (www.youtube.com/html5) and enabling that seems to have solved my issues.

Maybe this 'll help someone else, maybe it was old news:p

jfoul

Anybody have experience with Solid State Hybrid Drives(SSHD)? I'm thinking about buying a 1TB to mess around with.

Anybody have experience with Solid State Hybrid Drives(SSHD)? I'm thinking about buying a 1TB to mess around with.

Can't talk from experience (noone can as they aren't around long enough for any patterns to emerge) but it would seem like a bad idea to me to buy a hybrid drive.

If either the mechanical drive or the ssd crap out you are left with a dud (I assume, unless the hdd is designed to be recognised and function without the ssd)
Twice the chance of a crap out and hdds (and ssds) already are the least reliable part of a pc by far.

Also with such a small capacity for the ssd part, and using that as install partition, I can't imagine the lifetime will be very good.
SSDs are designed to move shit around to prevent reading and writing the same cells over and over, to protect their lifespan, but you need to actually have the room to do that (which you don't on a tiny 8GB/16GB SSD)
For this same reason you're not supposed to have a page file or at least not put your page file on the SSD.

it'll be interesting to watch the statistics and impressions for these things over the next 2-4 years.

No Love

Banned
I would get a R9 280x over a GTX 770 4GB. It is a ton cheaper and will be every bit as powerful. If you think the 3GB v 4GB is going to matter give that thinking up. For one the 4GB 770's are on a 256 bus v. 384 bus. The AMD card can actually use all it's frame buffer efficiently the 770 can't.

It looks like the model 770 you have listed cost $450. Either save yourself $150 and get a R9 280x that will literally run side by side with that card or wait for AMD to release the R9 290 and see where that falls in terms of price.

I currently own 2 GTX 780's right now so please don't assume that I am just some AMD guy pushing that sort of agenda. AMD just currently wipes the floor of Nvidia in terms of value at the range of GFX card you are looking at.

Agreed, absolutely no reason to buy a 770 anymore. R9 280x costs far less, comes with games, and is a better overall card.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I've had a few drinks so I'll keep this concise, stick to Intel.

Agreed, Until the time cometh when the consensus sways

Stick to Intel for gaming right now. And TIM is not cheap, it's the gap it fills is too large.

If someone brings it up later when I can reply in depth I will.
Fair enough. I can definitely admit that I'm way in over my head with these posts. And I just noticed the thread title, so I clearly did not stumble upon some buried secret, which makes me feel silly for even bringing it up. If you don't mind though I would like to hear why Intel is such a clear choice, as I can't see it.

Jawmuncher

I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my wife's X51. Probably going to move it to a Bitfenix Prodigy. I saw another guy on an alienware forum did it with no problems. Here's a youtube video of a complete breakdown of the X51.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...BMtkWA&usg=AFQjCNHbVV4MWXlVGyIAWvp_UPoUefUSHA

Honestly though, it may just be easier to sale it and start over it. The more I think about moving it the more I'm leaning towards selling it and using the money for a new build.

Yeah im definitely contemplating just selling it.
Thanks for that link though, i'll bookmark it just in case I dont.

Tablo

Fair enough. I can definitely admit that I'm way in over my head with these posts. And I just noticed the thread title, so I clearly did not stumble upon some buried secret, which makes me feel silly for even bringing it up. If you don't mind though I would like to hear why Intel is such a clear choice, as I can't see it.

Single threaded performance, which is very relevant in many games/applications (Emulation) and especially older titles that aren't multithreaded. You also get the integrated GPU which frankly is a good bonus, and can come in handy. Motherboard choice/quality is arguably also in Intel's favor, you can't really do a FX 8350 SFF build to same extent you can with Intel.

PandaL

Yes I also don't understand whey everyone is inclined towards intel and tease/make-fun-of people who go with AMD CPU and scare the hell out of them and make them to buy intel.

I'm building a PC and I'm going with 8350 (and also support AMD to build better CPU & GPU). I did my research and I don't want to spend more on intel for the same performance.

Even the game developers prefer 8350, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc

And that youtube reviewer, Tek Syndicate is also being looked down my many people becasue they can't accept the truth.

Here is a video of 8150 (Zambezi and not vishera) OC to 4.8 running BF4 @ 1080p, ultra & 4x msaa getting 55fps average, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdaOi2aaX0.

And 8350, 1080p, ultra & 4x msaa, around 40-60fps, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eVvejVW1ZU

Single threaded performance, which is very relevant in many games/applications (Emulation) and especially older titles that aren't multithreaded. You also get the integrated GPU which frankly is a good bonus, and can come in handy. Motherboard choice/quality is arguably also in Intel's favor, you can't really do a FX 8350 SFF build to same extent you can with Intel.

Most of the people who build a new PC are looking forward to play the upcoming titles and not the older titles.

Motherboard choice/quality is arguably also in Intel's favor

lol seriously? Do you have any proof that AMD MB's are bad quality boards?

TheD

The Detective
Yes I also don't understand whey everyone is inclined towards intel and tease/make-fun-of people who go with AMD CPU and scare the hell out of them and make them to buy intel.

I'm building a PC and I'm going with 8350. I did my research and I don't want to spend more on intel for the same performance.

Even the game developers prefer 8350, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc

And that youtube reviewer, Tek Syndicate is also being looked down my many people becasue they can't accept the truth.

Here is a video of 8150 (Zambezi and not vishera) OC to 4.8 running BF4 @ 1080p, ultra & 4x msaa getting 55fps average, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdaOi2aaX0.

And 8350, 1080p, ultra & 4x msaa, around 40-60fps, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eVvejVW1ZU

The reason that people like Intel CPUs over AMD CPUs is due to the fact that with programs that have anything less than 8 heavy threads, Intel CPUs are faster (AMD CPUs also use a lot more power.).

Tek Syndicate is being looked down at because he posted some dodgy benchmarks that are bare of a lot of details and that go against all the better done benchmarks out there!

Claiming that people don't like it because it is "the truth" makes you look like a fanboy.

P.S: A 8150 running at 4.8Ghz pushes system power draw to nearly 600W! when running Prime95 vs just over 300W for a 2600K at 5Ghz!

Another reason gamers don't use AMD chips is frame latencies, it was shown Intel chips do a lot better in that regard http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed
Of course the FX-8350 does well in certain types of tasks, which is good if you don't want to game much and power consumption is not a problem (in some countries the electric bill is a real issue), but once intel switches to 8 cores at a hopefully affordable prices, there will be absolutely no reason to use AMD CPU. And AMD itself doesn't seem to care much about that.
I hope a PS4-like architecture hits the pc market soon though, I'm constantly impressed by what that low powered box can do, although I don't plan to buy one.

big_z

my crt is on its death bed. when it goes im thinking of maybe trying a Dell P2414H since tftcentral rated it well saying dell fixed the issues the other lines have. im also considering one of those Korean monitors. which are considered the best? im super picky about image quality and it cant have any electrical buzz.

Unstable

Hey Gaf, Building a new pc in November for next gen. The Graphics card is temporary because I assuming
hoping
290x will be around $600 or a 780 price drop to $500. I'm buying everything keyboard/mouse, 120-144hz Monitors (Wanted 3 but can't fit them on my desk so 2 for now) . I have a completely irrational fear of water cooling, the idea of water anywhere near my PC freaks the hell out of me so I went with air cooling. My budget is around $3,500.

The PC it's self
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme EATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Intel 335 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (Place holder until 290x or prices drops on the 780)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Grey) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V (For 3 way crossfire/sli)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)

full build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NnVg

Any suggestions gaf? I want to be able to Crossfire/sli up to 3 way later down the line and be able to play mainstream titles at 1080p mostly maxed (I'll give up AA) at 90+ fps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ekim

Hey Gaf, Building a new pc in November for next gen. The Graphics card is temporary because I assuming
hoping
290x will be around $600 or a 780 price drop to $500. I'm buying everything keyboard/mouse, 120-144hz Monitors (Wanted 3 but can't fit them on my desk so 2 for now) . I have a completely irrational fear of water cooling, the idea of water anywhere near my PC freaks the hell out of me so I went with air cooling. My budget is around $3,500.

The PC it's self
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme EATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Intel 335 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (Place holder until 290x or prices drops on the 780)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Grey) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V (For 3 way crossfire/sli)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)

full build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NnVg

Any suggestions gaf? I want to be able to Crossfire/sli up to 3 way later down the line and be able to play mainstream titles at 1080p mostly maxed (I'll give up AA) at 90+ fps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would say go with a Haswell CPU (4770K) because the 1150 socket is more future proof and should support the next 2 Intel CPU generations.

edit: Prices aren't really different - don't forget to pick another mainboard.

I would say go with a Haswell CPU (4770K) because the 1150 socket is more future proof and should support the next 2 Intel CPU generations.
AFAIK, Broadwell is going to be an even smaller jump in performance than IB -> Haswell and Skylake will be on another socket entirely. (Or even socketless? Haven't quite been keeping up with that.)

For that kind of money, I would strongly suggest Ivy Bridge-E.

PandaL

The reason that people like Intel CPUs over AMD CPUs is due to the fact that with programs that have anything less than 8 heavy threads, Intel CPUs are faster (AMD CPUs also use a lot more power.).

Tek Syndicate is being looked down at because he posted some dodgy benchmarks that are bare of a lot of details and that go against all the better done benchmarks out there!

Claiming that people don't like it because it is "the truth" makes you look like a fanboy.

P.S: A 8150 running at 4.8Ghz pushes system power draw to nearly 600W! when running Prime95 vs just over 300W for a 2600K at 5Ghz!

Exactly what I'm talking about when the benchmark settings are listed in this link, http://teksyndicate.com/videos/amd-fx-8350-oc-vs-i5-3570k-oc-battle-continues makes who look like a fanboy?, lol

And also that there is a bigger power comsumption myth is also mentioned in this video, http://youtu.be/4et7kDGSRfc?t=10m39s

Because they build better CPUs. Despite not even really trying on the desktop since 2010.

So we gotta pay more price for the same performance?

Another reason gamers don't use AMD chips is frame latencies, it was shown Intel chips do a lot better in that regard http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed
Of course the FX-8350 does well in certain types of tasks, which is good if you don't want to game much and power consumption is not a problem (in some countries the electric bill is a real issue), but once intel switches to 8 cores at a hopefully affordable prices, there will be absolutely no reason to use AMD CPU. And AMD itself doesn't seem to care much about that.
I hope a PS4-like architecture hits the pc market soon though, I'm constantly impressed by what that low powered box can do, although I don't plan to buy one.

That frame latency difference is not that much big and you can't see much difference while gaming, unless you are going to bench.

Before anyone panics over the gap between Intel and AMD in this latency-sensitive gaming test, we'll want to ground our analysis in reality by considering the amount of time spent on truly long-latency frames. Once we do so, some of the practical concerns about FX-8350 performance dissipate. Virtually none of the processors spend any time working on frames for more than 50 milliseconds, our usual threshold for "badness." That means you're looking at reasonably fluid animation with most of these CPUs, including the FX-8350.

http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/5

chunk3rvd

Just had a colleague tell me his son has asked for a gaming PC for Christmas. I'm pretty sure his definition of a gaming PC will be different to most here as he said they'd been looking at a model on Amazon for £400. We're obvioculy not talking a Crysis slaying rig here

Does anyone have any idea of: a) the best pre built machine you'd find around that price and b) how much better you could do with off the shelf parts within the same budget? I'm guessing both a monitor and windows would be required which makes his requirements all the more difficult but any help or advice would be appreciated

kharma45

NoRéN;86065378 said:
If I upgrade my motherboard and CPU do I have to reinstall windows? Or do I just start up an deactivate the key?

It'll need re-authorised by Microsoft. Call them up and they'll get the key transferred over.

You can't do a SFF build at all on AM3+, no boards exist AFAIK.

So we gotta pay more price for the same performance?

That frame latency difference is not that much big and you can't see much difference while gaming, unless you are going to bench.

There is no point trying to guesstimate what might happen. At this point in time Intel is by far the better choice over AMD. Stronger single thread performance, better selection of motherboards and more modern ones at that, use less power, put out less heat and they hold their value better.

Something like the AMD FX 83xx does have some times when it can be recommended but it's only a very small number of scenarios.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How is the new R9 280x compared to the GTX700-series?

I have always been an Nvidia man, but now I'm not sure what to do with my next upgrade. The R9 seems to have so good specs for its price, it's almost fishy lol

PandaL

There is no point trying to guesstimate what might happen. At this point in time Intel is by far the better choice over AMD. Stronger single thread performance, better selection of motherboards and more modern ones at that, use less power, put out less heat and they hold their value better.

Something like the AMD FX 83xx does have some times when it can be recommended but it's only a very small number of scenarios.

I've heard this answer tons of times even though in real world gaming scenario, there is no much difference.

I have always been an Nvidia man, but now I'm not sure what to do with my next upgrade. The R9 seems to have so good specs for its price, it's almost fishy lol

280x ~= 770 and also 100$ cheaper.

Addnan

It's a 7970 so compares to the GTX770. They trade blows in games, pretty much on par. The 280x is $100 cheaper though.

Mogwai

It's a 7970 so compares to the GTX770. They trade blows in games, pretty much on par. The 280x is $100 cheaper though.

However, you get Arkham Origins at select retailers when you buy the GTX 770. So there's some value in that too. The R9 doesn't come with any games for the time being.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard this answer tons of times even though in real world gaming scenario, there is no much difference.

280x ~= 770 and also 100$ cheaper.

However, you get Arkham Origins at select retailers when you buy the GTX 770. So there's some value in that too. The R9 doesn't come with any games for the time being.

So what's the catch? Apart from no Arkham Origins :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You'll get more value for your money. Depending on how you decide to carry out the calculation you can deduct the price for Arkham Origins, in case you were going to buy it anyway :p

Is this the general consensus?

On the upside, you get mantle support which AMD & DICE are so much hyping about.

lol - now I'm more confused than I was to begin with

Mogwai

Is this the general consensus?
There's the question of whether 2GB (unless you pick a 770 with 4GB) will be enough for the next wave of games. The R9 280X is more balanced with a 3GB, which should suffice for most people. As already pointed out, the 280X and the 770 are trading blows in gaming performance. The 280X has a nice price tag, no doubt. The 770 has CUDA, PhysX, adaptive Vsync if that's what you want. The mantle support for AMD sounds nice, but I have no doubt if it will leave NVIDIA in the dust...

It's a give or take, and a bit of GPU religion.

Ty4on

I don't, but Anand talks a bit about them being crap when talking about the iMac in their latest podcast. He talks about Fusion Drive actually working really well because has a gigantic cache (128GB).

1 hour 31 min is where it starts, 1.34.48 is when he says they're all crap.

Lucid07

So my laptops has started to slowdown. It was alright one day the next its like this. Its taking 30 minutes to boot up and then another hour just to open chrome. I have reinstalled windows on it and its still the same. Is there any other checks I can do on it?

kharma45

Some CPU dependent games

c3-99th.png

c3-50ms.png

fc3-99th.png

arkham-99th.gif

arkham-beyond-50.gif

skyrim-99th.gif

skyrim-beyond-16.gif

Difference is even bigger when it comes to multiplayer as they're even more CPU dependent.

Overclocked, you can get a 20-35% linear bump with the Intel processors. With Vishera, it's more like 10-25%. Now, where things really start to go wonky, is that Vishera will be using 225-275W when overclocked, and also requires a decent motherboard. So you end up spending a bit more with 8 phase power compared to 4 or 6 that you can use with Intel. Then you also need to wave goodbye to inexpensive power supplies if you want a decent GPU too.

Things might well change in the future but there is absolutely no guarantee of that until we see some hard evidence.

I'm considering one of these 2 combination of parts to finish up my friends build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $720.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-15 08:39 EDT-0400)

OR...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $730.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-15 08:40 EDT-0400)

He has specific need of an optical digital output for his motherboard. I will be overclocking the system for him. The 7970 here only makes sense because it combos with the memory reducing the cost by $19. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward the IvyBridge because it seems like I'll have fewer overclocking concerns.

Parts I already have:
Corsair 200R
Corsair TX650
CM Hyper 212 Plus

Tomodachi

A friend's Corsair CX500M probably died just now after less than a month of use, is it safe to replace it with another unit of the same model or should we go straight for something different? The Antec from the OP maybe?

Addnan

A friend's Corsair CX500M probably died just now after less than a month of use, is it safe to replace it with another unit of the same model or should we go straight for something different? The Antec from the OP maybe?

Get the Antec, or a Seasonic/XFX/any other re branded Seasonic unit if there are any on sale.

JimPanzer

so I now got my new asus p8z77-v lk and an cm 212 evo sitting on top of my i5 3570k.

which way of overclocking you guys recommend to reach 4.4 GHz? Should I set up everything manually or just adjust the multiplier and let the board find the right voltage?

edit: second (6:10) or third (10:08) method shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20rCMNzkwJo

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
so I now got my new asus p8z77-v lk and an cm 212 evo sitting on top of my i5 3570k.

which way of overclocking you guys recommend to reach 4.4 GHz? Should I set up everything manually or just adjust the multiplier and let the board find the right voltage?

Personally, I find it easiest to start with a lot of volts (e.g, 1.28 - 1.29) and then dial it in with prime95 to find a stable point. Down tick your volts in 0.50 increments after successfully running prime95 for 20-30 mins.

Sanctuary

Most of the people who build a new PC are looking forward to play the upcoming titles and not the older titles.

Yeah, that's probably true. My next build is going to be primarily for newer games and downsampling, but I also want a system that can run Dolphin at higher settings without appreciable slowdown in both graphics and audio. There are a handful of games that I've never been able to finish due to the graphics. That might sound shallow or superficial, but Wii games are not a joy to look at on a modern television at all.

There's the question of whether 2GB (unless you pick a 770 with 4GB) will be enough for the next wave of games. The R9 280X is more balanced with a 3GB, which should suffice for most people. As already pointed out, the 280X and the 770 are trading blows in gaming performance. The 280X has a nice price tag, no doubt. The 770 has CUDA, PhysX, adaptive Vsync if that's what you want. The mantle support for AMD sounds nice, but I have no doubt if it will leave NVIDIA in the dust...

It's a give or take, and a bit of GPU religion.

It honestly feels like the largest factor with AMD vs Nvidia comes down to driver support. With AMD it seems like it comes in waves. First it's ultra shitty, then it's awesome. I've had my share of AMD cards over the years, and I've never been letdown by them when it comes to cost/performance, but in a sense this makes me think of XBL vs PSN. While you might be spending more than it's worth, you do get a bump in service for the additional cost.

We'll know soon enough how good the R9 280X is.

kris.

Banned
so my mobo and RAM are being delivered today

this is actually happening oh man

still gonna be a few weeks while i save up for a gfx card and cpu but oh man oh man oh man

Sanctuary

I think my first, and only AMD processor has been a K7, and it was on the first and only computer I purchased prebuilt (Cybermax). Had so many problems with that system too, and I must have shipped it back three times before finding a better solution locally. I was pretty green back then too, but I never had so many issues as I did with that system when it came to system freeze or BSOD. That doesn't really say anything about AMD though, only my experience with a system that used one of their chips. I just decided to go with Intel from there on due to familiarity and reliability at both normal and overclocks. I also always build my systems with overclocking and gaming in mind, and I wasn't looking to build the cheapest "value" gaming system that I could.

so my mobo and RAM are being delivered today

this is actually happening oh man

still gonna be a few weeks while i save up for a gfx card and cpu but oh man oh man oh man

Haha. I think the longest I had to wait between my first components to actually booting up a new PC was two weeks. Although if there's a large enough gap between the announcement of the 8xx series and its actual release date, I'll probably put myself in a similar situation.

On a side note, I've never actually bothered hooking up my PC to my plasma TV yet to see how it looks for movies and games...it's pretty goddamn heavy to lug around. Going to be giving it a thorough cleaning today, so while I'm at it, I'm going to actually put this mini HDMI adapter plug to use and see if I have anything extra to look forward to with my next build, since I'm trying to go for portability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom