• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

I'm not doing your homework for you :p

Build two high end socket 2011 systems that are shared render computers + one high speed NAS and have basic prebuilt lenovos with a low profile gpu for the rest.

Hey guys! So for my computer architecture class, I was assigned to recommend a computer system for 30 graphics designers of a fictional company. Using Hazaro's spreadsheet, here's what I've come up with:

With a budget of $23,255:

Graphics Card - AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
CPU - Intel i5 3350P 4C
Motherboard - MSI B75MA-P45
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 1.35V / 1.5V 2x4GB (8GB)
Storage - 2TB Seagate ST2000VN000
Casing - NZXT Source 210
Keyboard - Logitech Media Keyboard K200
Mouse - CM Storm Xornet

All these cost a total of $20,700 which leaves me with $2555 to work with the software they will use (aside -- does anyone know of an example of what graphics designers use to make graphics? like a general photoshop but for game graphics design?).

What do you guys think? Are these parts good for a feasible computer system?

Maybe look into cloud computing services instead. And don't a lot of artists use WACOM tablets?

This seems more like a computer for 3D modeling and rendering.

solid mike

Seems a tight budget for what they really need which is Quadro GPUs, Socket 2011 CPUs and probably more RAM too.

Build two high end socket 2011 systems that are shared render computers + one high speed NAS and have basic prebuilt lenovos with a low profile gpu for the rest.

Maybe look into cloud computing services instead. And don't a lot of artists use WACOM tablets?

This seems more like a computer for 3D modeling and rendering.

So Quadro GPUs are superior compared to the Radeon when it comes to designing graphics?

solid mike

Pretty much what kharma said. Would need to know which software specifically to be able to look up what works best with it.

I asked my prof. and he said some examples of software this fictional company may use are "mental ray, Grome and 3ds Max". Any of those three ring a bell?

I've ordered the additional EVGA 680 Classified, can anybody recommend a power supply that will be sufficient for:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
CPU - Intel Core i7 3820
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i
Overclock - 4.4Ghz
RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2100 MHz
CPU - 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified X2
System Drive - 2TB Seagate Barracuda, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
DVD Drive - Samsung SH-224BB - 24X DVD Writer
SSD - 256GB SanDisk Ultra Plus
Case - Corsair 550D
Thanks

Need your help PC GAF.

I have a power supply cable going over the EVGA 780 ACX. There is no other way around it. Will the heat coming up the pipes degrade the cable?

Touch

I think my harddrive is about to fail. This morning my computer was completely off which I didn't do. At first it didn't want to boot, it stayed at the motherboard screen. I had to restart and then it booted but slower the usual. Also today I have getting have some lag in games I play and sometimes it takes a while to open things.

Sanctuary

Need your help PC GAF.

I have a power supply cable going over the EVGA 780 ACX. There is no other way around it. Will the heat coming up the pipes degrade the cable?

Shouldn't, unless the sheathing is made out of some exteremely cheap material. Is there any way you can post a picture?

Sanctuary

I've ordered the additional EVGA 680 Classified, can anybody recommend a power supply that will be sufficient for:

CPU - Intel Core i7 3820
Overclock - 4.4Ghz
Case - Corsair 550D
Thanks

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

kharma45

CPU - Intel Core i7 3820
Overclock - 4.4Ghz
Case - Corsair 550D
Thanks

Budget?

So, my iMac has been repaired again, and this time at no cost, which was nice of the technician. I would guess the graphics card would perform a little worse now though, and I have to be careful to have my fans at max speed at all times, but it would allow me to survive until I get a better budget and hopefully better deals, which would be sometime in january I guess.

So my next move is to get a 1440p monitor for both my PC (GTX780) & PS4. Going to wait for the holidays to see a better price reduction than what is offered now.

I will need hdmi (PS4) and display port (PC) correct? I may even buy a Wii U as well. So dual HDMI and display port?

Any of you running a current console on a 1440p set? How does it scale? Or do you run it on a separate input at 1080p?

Any help would be very much grateful.

Tensketch

you guys have never steered me wrong yet! Every time I have a PC query this is the first place I stop.

So my latest question is regarding SLI.

So I bought a 660 ti ftw back in April and I'm very happy with it. I was considering buying a second one to twin them up (partially because I cant face the idea of spending the same money on a 760 which came out a month later).

Anyway, turns out the 660 ti ftw is some kinda limited edition card because it doesn't seem to sell on many UK sites and it's gone up a few pounds on amazon since I bought it last (Flubit also only gave me a 2% discount, saving me about £4, still more expensive).

Anyway, I've heard that if I buy another 660 ti, it should work, but limited to the power of the weakest card (I think).

So what I am wondering is;

- should I even bother? It seems that the price of the card I own wont be going down as its a limited edition and I dont really wanna spend (more than) full price again.

- If I do bother, would any 660 ti work? and if so, would overclocking the new card to match the FTW yield better results?

- What 700 series card, if any, matches the power of a 660 ti sli setup and what prices am I looking at?

Once again, thank you.

NiukNiuk

Neo Member
I asked my prof. and he said some examples of software this fictional company may use are "mental ray, Grome and 3ds Max". Any of those three ring a bell?

Mental ray is one of 3dsmax's render engines (the other ones being scanline, iray and quicksilver).
Mental ray doesn't use any gpu power to render...I don't know about vray (a famous renderer), but most of the ones included in 3DSMax doesn't use GPU when rendering...apart from iRay, which can use CPU and GPU (cuda graphic cards...so nvidia cards) and maybe quicksilver render (I'm not sure about this one).

Basically, when rendering 3d you need a LOT of CPU power (and a lot of ram). So go for the more cpu cores you can possibly get.

The GPUs will be mainly used for previews/ displaying the viewport.

scoobs

Those of you who have home theater PCs, what case did u go with? Getting the urge to finally set up my home theater now that my desktop project is done

kennah

Depends what you want to do with it. You can get smaller cases if you don't need a discrete video card but more power if you have a larger case. Also is your media going to be streamed, internal or on a nas? The Node 504 is a good starting place but there are smaller options.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Urgh. Feel like I've hit a roadblock when it comes to choosing CPUs. Need halp.

i5 4670k
Pros:
- Fastest of the ones I'm looking at
- Seems to do well with both older games that don't utilize multiple cores and will presumably not be a bottleneck for any upcoming games for quite a while
Cons:
- Relatively expensive
- Apparently the build is quite shoddy and will have a shorter life span?
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/two-ways-to-cool-down-your-defective-overheating-intel-cpu/

i3 4130
Pros:
- Cheap
- Does not act as a bottleneck for current games
Cons:
- Might be a bottleneck in the future due to only dual core? Seems like dual cores will have a hard time keeping up in the future once next gen hits and most games will be taking advantage of quads or more.
- Build quality issues? See above

AMD FX-6300
Pros:
- Cheapest
-Them cores
Cons:
- Not really all that powerful, unsure if it will be enough with the upcoming games
- Does not perform well at all with games that can not take advantage of multiple cores, very significant drop in performance for even more recent games like Bioshock Infinite
- AMD? I don't know AMD, I don't know their mobos either.

AMD FX-8320
Same as above, except not as cheap but relatively more powerful. Still struggles with newer games.

If I also pick up something like an R9 280x I'm guessing the AMDs potential bottleneck for current games won't stop me from reaching 60+ anyhow, for the games that can't utilize all the cores. I'm also not sure whether or not my assumption about the importance of multiple cores is actually correct or even close to true. Cores cores cores. I'm out of my depth here. What to do.

Addnan

get the 4670K, the other CPUs don't even come close to it. Not sure what shorter lifespan they are talking about. They run a little warmer than Sandy and Ivy, but that's only in the high overclocks.

kennah

Anton668

trh

get the 4670K, the other CPUs don't even come close to it. Not sure what shorter lifespan they are talking about. They run a little warmer than Sandy and Ivy, but that's only in the high overclocks.

Well it's this part that has me worried:

PC Watch found thermal interface material – paste – instead of the fluxless solder Intel’s public relations department claimed. The difference between the two materials is pronounced. Fluxless solder doesn’t decay or dry out over time, whereas thermal compound, or TIM, loses its efficacy slowly. TIM can become desiccated in as little as two years, depending on the quality. This suggests that all Intel CPUs will experience a subtle creeping up of temperatures and, eventually, death.

But perhaps getting worked up over nothing. 4670k was the clear choice before I stumbled upon that article.

Edit:
... that reads like IS THE DRINKING WATER DANGEROUS FOR YOUR CHILDREN - FIND OUT TONIGHT AT 11

There's nothing wrong with the build quality unless you're trying to push super massive overclocks. Yes delidding is an option. But mostly people are upset because the Sandy Bridge ones were SO RIDICULOUSLY well made that everything else doesn't look as good.

Yeah that is kind of what I am thinking. It didn't really help that the guide over at Reddits /r/pcmasterrace pushed heavily for AMD over Intel (mostly because of that article), but they're practically the only ones doing so. I'm not really gonna bother with OCing anyhow.

kennah

Well it's this part that has me worried:

But perhaps getting worked up over nothing. 4670k was the clear choice before I stumbled upon that article.

Edit:
Yeah that is kind of what I am thinking. It didn't really help that the guide over at Reddits /r/pcmasterrace pushed heavily for AMD over Intel (mostly because of that article), but they're practically the only ones doing so. I'm not really gonna bother with OCing anyhow.

They're saying "this is a thing that CAN happen". Not "this is something that is PROVEN to happen".

Guess what - the Pentium 4 used a similar thermal paste on that CPU ten years ago and they are still working.

It's a link bait article with nothing backing it.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but anyone have any recommendations on internal PCI wireless cards? I'm going to be moving at the beginning of next month and a direct wired connection is not going to be possible.

trh

It's a link bait article with nothing backing it.
You have these articles backing up the somewhat trashy article I originally linked:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/ivy-bridge-proven-to-suffer-from-poor-thermal-grease/15844.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/165882/tim-is-behind-ivy-bridge-temperatures-after-all.html
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Inte...e-Better-Overclocking-in-Haswell-293719.shtml

At the same time the fx-8350 shows comparable results to the 3570k (which is more or less comparable to an fx-8320 vs a 4670k), while at the same time being a lot cheaper (where I live, prices being roughly $260 vs $200).

So I'm still a bit undecided if it's worth it to pay extra for the 4670k when the FX-8320 will perform similarly for a better price, and might even perform better once proper multi threading becomes standard. Take the articles as you will, but the potential poor build quality doesn't speak in Intel's favor, regardless of if it will actually have any impact or not. I'm not one to upgrade very often, however, so longevity is kind of important to me. I'm kind of learning as I go here, though, so I might be completely off base.

Deadstar

Has anyone ordered one of the Benq monitors that has the 0 flicker feature? Curious to know whether you are experiencing less eye strain while on the computer.

Sanctuary

Not sure how much (if at all really) it's already been mentioned in this thread, but when considering air flow in your case, you might really consider going for static pressure fans for the intake as opposed to the standard air flow fan. Basically for radiators and any fans that have a mesh, filter or obstructions like hard drives to deal with, air flow loses a lot of ground since they are designed to move air unimpeded. The exhaust fan(s) can be either really, unless it too has a filter of some kind, although I haven't seen any cases that do.

To keep dust down as well as cooling off graphics cards that do not have a completely enclosed cooling solution (many, if not most Nvidia cards) easier, a positive pressure setup is the way to go as well. You want more intake fans (or pressure/flow rather) than exhaust to do this.

Negative pressure in some cases can offer superior cooling (slight advantage), but at the cost of being a dust magnet since it pulls in air from all of the cracks of your case and not just the filtered intake areas. This is where you have more exhaust than intake.

the revelation suggests that Intel CPUs may not last longer than three to five years before succumbing to overheating.
The horror! Having to get another CPU in around five years. Most people do this anyway, if not sooner. Also liked where he said "shorter life expediences". Looks legit.

asdad123

Got my ITX rig up now. All Im waiting on is my GTX680 to come in and a slot load DVD drive.

Had to go buy a USB dvd drive to install all the chipset drivers and stuff (No cable near my monitor. Router is in the basement).

The cabling is terrible lol, but it works. So busy packed inside. The FT-03 mini is sooooo tiny compared to my Define R4. I love it. Ill take a picture showing the size difference later tonight.

Anton668

none of those articles say anything in regards to shorter life span. all they say is what we already know, cheaper TIM was used.

so.. meh, delid and get better results or just not overclock as much. no biggie

Azulsky

Not sure how much (if at all really) it's already been mentioned in this thread, but when considering air flow in your case, you might really consider going for static pressure fans for the intake as opposed to the standard air flow fan. Basically for radiators and any fans that have a mesh, filter or obstructions like hard drives to deal with, air flow loses a lot of ground since they are designed to move air unimpeded. The exhaust fan(s) can be either really, unless it too has a filter of some kind, although I haven't seen any cases that do.

To keep dust down as well as cooling off graphics cards that do not have a completely enclosed cooling solution (many, if not most Nvidia cards) easier, a positive pressure setup is the way to go as well. You want more intake fans (or pressure/flow rather) than exhaust to do this.

Negative pressure in some cases can offer superior cooling (slight advantage), but at the cost of being a dust magnet since it pulls in air from all of the cracks of your case and not just the filtered intake areas. This is where you have more exhaust than intake.

The horror! Having to get another CPU in around five years. Most people do this anyway, if not sooner. Also liked where he said "shorter life expediences". Looks legit.

Have you found any reviews that cover performance of static air fans for case intake/outtake. I have often wondered if screen type mesh was enough flow restriction to make static pressure worth it.

Seems like the foam type mesh would be just as restrictive as any radiator

I'm gonna wait for a price cut before I even consider it, but would it be worth it to plop the extra $$ for a 760 4GB over the stock 2GB one for 1080p gaming?

Azulsky

I'm gonna wait for a price cut before I even consider it, but would it be worth it to plop the extra $$ for a 760 4GB over the stock 2GB one for 1080p gaming?

No, save your money

The GPU and Memory bus is not specced to handle the extra memory efficiently and there are zero benchmarks which show performance improvements with the 4GB editions.

kharma45

You have these articles backing up the somewhat trashy article I originally linked:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/ivy-bridge-proven-to-suffer-from-poor-thermal-grease/15844.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/165882/tim-is-behind-ivy-bridge-temperatures-after-all.html
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Inte...e-Better-Overclocking-in-Haswell-293719.shtml

At the same time the fx-8350 shows comparable results to the 3570k (which is more or less comparable to an fx-8320 vs a 4670k), while at the same time being a lot cheaper (where I live, prices being roughly $260 vs $200).

So I'm still a bit undecided if it's worth it to pay extra for the 4670k when the FX-8320 will perform similarly for a better price, and might even perform better once proper multi threading becomes standard. Take the articles as you will, but the potential poor build quality doesn't speak in Intel's favor, regardless of if it will actually have any impact or not. I'm not one to upgrade very often, however, so longevity is kind of important to me. I'm kind of learning as I go here, though, so I might be completely off base.

I've had a few drinks so I'll keep this concise, stick to Intel.

No, save your money

The GPU and Memory bus is not specced to handle the extra memory efficiently and there are zero benchmarks which show performance improvements with the 4GB editions.

What I figured. So with this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($143.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.82 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($49.99 @ Adorama)
Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1109.65
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-14 19:50 EDT-0400)

Should I buy more than one case fan? And is the thermal paste that comes with the cpu cooler decent enough or should I get something better? The latter I'm not terribly worried about, as a lot of the OC's I've seen on the 4670k have gotten it to 4.2-4.3GHz on air alone, which is honestly probably more CPU clock than I'll ever need, even given PS2/GC/Wii emulation.

wumpy

Banned
im putting together a new gaming pc and was wanting some help

- money isnt really an issue
- i plan to go SLI when i need it, hence the big power supply
- i have an existing 60gb SSD which i was going to install windows on, and then the SSD below for games
- i dont know anything about cooling, or heatsinks. could someone pls make some suggestions?

CPU: i7-4770K 3.4ghz
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO
RAM: Kingston 2 x 8GB
GFX: 3GB 780 GTX - MSI
Case: Antec P280-W Black
Power supply: Antec HCG-850M
DVD-RW: Samsung
HDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 2TB
O/S: Windows 8 Home OEM
Cooling: ???
Heatsink: ???

Thanks

kennah

im putting together a new gaming pc and was wanting some help

- money isnt really an issue
- i plan to go SLI when i need it, hence the big power supply
- i have an existing 60gb SSD which i was going to install windows on, and then the SSD below for games
- i dont know anything about cooling, or heatsinks. could someone pls make some suggestions?

CPU: i7-4770K 3.4ghz
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO
RAM: Kingston 2 x 8GB
GFX: 3GB 780 GTX - MSI
Case: Antec P280-W Black
Power supply: Antec HCG-850M
DVD-RW: Samsung
HDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 2TB
O/S: Windows 8 Home OEM
Cooling: ???
Heatsink: ???

Thanks
Money is no object eh?

Custom water cooled in a better case.

And get a Seasonic PSU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stick to Intel for gaming right now. And TIM is not cheap, it's the gap it fills is too large.

If someone brings it up later when I can reply in depth I will.

Lum1n3s

Question guys/gals I was checking out the R280x and the Sapphire Vapor R280x is asking for a 750w or higher psu just for a single card and 1000w for Crossfire!!! Are those requirements right??? I though a single gpu card was normally fine with like a 500-600w psu?

Prowl

Trying to put together a new PC but since i havent done it in awhile i need some advice so far its like this

CPU = I7-4770
Mobo = Gigabyte Z878-WIFI
Ram = 16gb G.skill Ripjaws
SSD = Samsung Pro 840 128gb
HDD = Whatever is 2tbs??
GFX = Gigabyte GTX770 4Gb OC
DVD = Something Black... Pioneer
CASE = BitFennix Prodigy Green
PSU = Corsair RM-650 80
OS = Windows 8

Are SSD's worth it? Do i really need one?
Is the GTX770 a decent card? I am completely lost with GTX cards.
What Brand/type HDD is reliable these days?
And will i need to spend on an aftermarket heatsink for the CPU? or is stock ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom