• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_6

I've had a corneal ulcer in my eye for about a week so I've had my PC off since I couldn't see well enough to play anything. Turned it on last night since my vision has gotten better and it hung on the MSI 'Bios' screen for about 20 secs then automatically restarted. On the restart it booted up quickly and properly like it is supposed to. Any idea what may have caused the freeze and restart? Little shit like this is the kind of stuff that frustrates me.

?

Skytylz

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/DvKrVCo.jpg?1IMG]

Here they are! The CPU is the 3570k. I'm quite satisfied with it even if I havn't played any games besides TF2 as the Steam Sale refuses to start. Do you recommend any easy OC to gain some extra performance? I haven't had time to read about it but I hope to do it soon.

Just wanna thank all the users that helped me pick these parts and I'll be sticking in this thread cause the seed is now planted in me.[/QUOTE]

You should post some impressions of that monitor. I thought it looked great for a multimonitor set up.

Hi guys, I guess this would be the best place to ask, I'll soon be building my first PC, and if anyone could give me a quick second opinion that'd be awesome.

Budget: I'm in the UK and my budget is £1,150 (at the moment, I'd like to get ordering parts and building ASAP but I could add ~£150 at the end of each month, starting July, if necessary)

Main Use: Emulation (Dolphin is a priority) but gaming in general, also a priority is streaming games in HD. I have a separate capture card already and I want to be able to stream HD (say over Twitch) and some general Web usage + 1080p playback

Monitor Resolution: I'll use my HDTV as a monitor to start with, I'll upgrade to a monitor later.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: To be very specific, games such as Xenoblade Chronicles and Super Mario Galaxy and other Dolphin games at 1080p and 60fps when applicable, I'm not sure how feasible it is, (I'm still doing some research) but I have a HD PVR 2 and would like to stream these games using XSplit on Twitch. But I would like to be able to run newer, more graphically intensive games as well.

When will you build?: As soon as I can, if I need a bit more £££ then I get paid at the end of every month, and would be able to add around £150 each month, but I've been saving slowly for a while, I've just been paid and I'm itching to get going!

Will you be overclocking?: Maybe, we'll see how confident I am with the whole thing, but I'd like the potential to.

With this in mind, I've used the PCPartPicker in the OP and come up with the following:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard: Asus Z87-K ATX LGA1150
Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333
Storage: Seagate SV35.5 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX
PSU: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

This comes to £1,166, I'll be adding a monitor/optical drive etc later. For it's purpose, is it lacking in a particular direction? I realise that the website has a function to share the build but I was directed to a log in screen, it's 2am here and I'm up for work in 5 hours, but I'll sort it out tomorrow if it helps. I apologise if I've left any important information out and if so, again, I'll edit tomorrow with more info. I just wanted second/third opinions before I delve in since it's an expensive endeavor.

Thanks in advance, GAF!

sholvaco

Neo Member
That said, Little Devil never sent the replacement front USB cables they initially forgot and said they'd re-send out. Again, I've said this before - the case is wonderful, it really is. But I gotta be honest, I don't think I'd ever buy a case from them again. For nearly $500, I feel like I'm constantly "needing" things and/or something doesn't match. Also... how am I supposed to mount the front power and reset buttons? Seems like another piece is possibly missing - I wouldn't know; the case comes with zero documentation.

I don't know if the switches come with the case but you are supposed to use anti vandal switches like these:
vandal_switch_lamptron_bulgin_mnpctech.com_2010.jpg

Take the nut off, push the button through the front of the designated 5.25 bracket and then use the nut to fasten it from the back. If it doesn't come prewired you are going to have to take care of that too.

Varna

Something really odd just happened.

I've been running on latest Nvidia WHQL drivers for a while now and haven't had a single issue. I haven't been gaming too much these last couple of days but I'm pretty confident I've played a pretty long game of FFXIV, Killing Floor and The Witcher 2 with this set. Few minutes ago I attempt to start up FFXIV and I am greeted with a flickering display and a hard lock. I restart my PC and try it again. Same thing... over and over again. At first I think the servers are just having issues but then I try a few other games. Guild Wars 2, Witcher 2, Killing Floor and they exhibit the same. Flickering display and it certain games things that look like artifacts.

I'm pretty freaked out about this. This is like my third RMA 690 and I really don't want to go through this again. But I'm stuck, it's a thousand dollar card. I can't just forget about it.

Anyhow, I do a clean reinstall of the latest beta and now everything seems good. Now I'm just confused. What could have been causing the issues? Driver set seemed solid and I had no issues until today. Or is my card just getting ready to go? Seems to be running fine, heat is good, performance is good. No hitching or anything.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I don't know if the switches come with the case but you are supposed to use anti vandal switches like these:
vandal_switch_lamptron_bulgin_mnpctech.com_2010.jpg

Take the nut off, push the button through the front of the designated 5.25 bracket and then use the nut to fasten it from the back. If it doesn't come prewired you are going to have to take care of that too.

Haha, yeah - thank you! I actually *just* realized this right before you posted. I *thought* that was what I was supposed to do - but the nut was ridiculously tight - eventually had to get a wrench and a vise and use my body weight to get it undone.

Thanks!

luiztfc

I've been meaning to a 120 HZ monitor and the BenQ xl2420t seems to be the best option. Do you guys recommend any other brand/model. I don't care that much about IQ as long as I have no lag and the image is smooth.

Also, as someone who has two 6790, I won't benefit from the 3d, right?

Flaxh

Oh no I agree, it's a great looking monitor. Just find ASUS' general cocky marketing funny, like a chef praising his own food to high heavens :p

They feel really confident about their products. :p

You should post some impressions of that monitor. I thought it looked great for a multimonitor set up.

I'll be a bit biased because I was using a laptop with 5 years before getting this computer but I couldn't be happier with it. There's probably a lot of displays better than this one but if 1080p is enough for your gaming and you also value highly other things like watching movies/series, then this is a great choice under 250€. I'm not an hardware expert but I did a lot of research and it just seemed like the better choice for me:
+ amazing design;
+ really good color reproduction;
+ great sound for a display;
+ 2 HDMI ports;
+ I've tried playing some FPS and racing games on the X360 and the response is perfectly fine for me;
- doesn't adjust height;

Hi guys, I have my 770 installed on my PC now but I want to see if this is the expected performance:

Gaming at 1080p here.

Shogun 2 with every single thing cranked up (even DX11) brings FPS down to ~40 when zooming it to the ground.

Just Cause 2, everything on high/turned on (including Bokeh, which is apparently horribly taxing for no reason in this game), in-game 8xAA, pulls down as low as ~45 in the Concrete Jungle benchmark. Booted up the actual game and drove around the jungle biome, ran at a smoother 60.

Is that about right? The reason I'm asking is that I'm running off a 3-year old system with an overclocked i5-750 @ 3.8GHz. Has anyone here run either of those two games/benchmarks and pulled off 60 FPS for sure in those circumstances? I want to see if I'm being bottlenecked by anything.

Diablos

Those temps sound fine. Under 70 degrees is all good.
I took off the HSF and applied some Arctic Silver 5. CPU 0 temp stays under 60 which is awesome but the Fintek reading is still >60 after 8 passes of Prime95 in Blend mode.

I am just trying to determine what reading is more accurate - CPU 0 or Fintek. If it's CPU 0 then I am definitely in the clear.

62C is apparently the max any FX series should have to put up with under load for extended periods of time (i.e. gaming).

Note:

Concerning your question regarding the temperatures with your processor. (1090) the maximum temperature threshold is 62 Celsius which set for the internal die (core) temperature of the chip. The core temperatures have an equational offset to determine temperature which equalizes at about 45 Celsius thus giving you more accurate readings at peak temperatures. The hindrance in this is the sub ambient idle temperature readings you speak of.
The silicon and adhesives used in manufacturing these processors has a peak temperature rating of 97+ Celsius before any form of degradation will take place. The processor also has a thermal shut off safe guard in place that shuts the processor down at 90 Celsius.

The Cpu temperature is read form a sensor embedded within the socket of your motherboard causing about a 7-10 Celsius variance form the actual Cpu temperature, which may be what you are reading about on the net.
I hope I was able to answer your questions, If you have any more inquiries don't hesitate to contact us.

You can use an application called AMD overdrive, that will allow you to monitor your temperatures accurately.

As long as your core temperature has not exceeded the high side of the 60 degree mark for extended periods of time you should be ok. 62 degrees holds a generous safety net to begin with.

Thank You

Alex Cromwell
Senior Technology Director
Advanced Micro Devices
Fort Collins, Colorado
2950 East Harmony Road
Suite 300
Fort Collins, CO
80528-9558

Roland1979

Alright so I have the following received, going to order the rest from a different store in a short while. If there are any "crucial mistakes" just let me know.

So far I have:
  • sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Z)
  • case fans (Scythe Gentle Typhoon, 120mm)
  • CPU fan (Cooler Master Hyper 412S)
  • HDD (Seagate Baracuda ST31000524AS, 1TB)
  • RAM (Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600MHz CL8 2 x 4 GB, 1.35v)

That leaves unchecked on my list:
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (ATX)
PSU: Sea Sonic X-650 v2
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 770 JetStream (2GB)
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 500GB

Any comments are welcome. Still not sure about the PSU though.
EDIT: going for a mild to medium overclock, where silence comes first, then temperatures then performance (CPU & RAM). GPU Get's replaced every few years so i don't mind mistreating it, as long as the sound levels are good.

The top fan in my Cooler Master 922 case is having issues. I need to replace it. Any suggestions on reliable 200mm fans is appreciated.

Mad Max

*Exasperated sigh* .... I've dropped more than $300 on this acrylic tubing by itself... and I'm very close to just cutting my losses. First I ordered the Primochill rigid tubing - their half-inch stuff - and their rigid ghost compression fittings. Well, unfortunately, those new fittings just weren't very good as most people know by now.

So I ordered e22 tube and their fittings. Freaking crap I can't find ANYTHING to put inside to bend. I bought the heat gun. I bought the bending tool. $30 and $30. I bought a hobby hack saw. etc.

I've purchased every size spring I can find. I've driven miles and miles trying to find silicone or something like it that will fit. Nobody has it. I've ordered some online, it doesn't work. Every freaking thing I try causes kinks in the bend, the bend breaks, or the object gets stuck in the tube. Arg.

I have one more thing coming - from Australia - that is supposedly perfectly sized and works well. I gotta wait a couple weeks for it to get here :( If that doesn't work, I think I'll cut my loses and go with regular tubing. I don't want to - but I don't know what else to try. I've been patient, I've tried low heat, high heat, making sure I turn regularly - I've given it every idea I've got. *sad face*

Everything else looks great, though! Cables arrived today and they look fantastic. A bit loose right now and not perfectly aligned, but I'll get to it. They're beautiful - thanks mkenyon! I've got the res attached to my radiator in front, it looks great. The fittings themselevs are surprisingly nice looking and match well. PSU is installed.Also got the GPU all fixed up after EK sent me an extra screw. I got the PCI slot covers screwed in. I've decided to forgo the HDD cages, and I'll mount my two SSDs on the back. I can use external drives for media - besides, at this point, why do I want anything other than flash, anyway. Fans are all installed - wires are routed to the back.

At this point, other than getting the Blu-Ray drive matte'd up and installed, everything is pretty much good for installation.

That said, Little Devil never sent the replacement front USB cables they initially forgot and said they'd re-send out. Again, I've said this before - the case is wonderful, it really is. But I gotta be honest, I don't think I'd ever buy a case from them again. For nearly $500, I feel like I'm constantly "needing" things and/or something doesn't match. Also... how am I supposed to mount the front power and reset buttons? Seems like another piece is possibly missing - I wouldn't know; the case comes with zero documentation.

Eh, I'm being a bit negative - I'm just sick of spending more and more money, and buying the best of the best - not cheaping out - and still having problems. About two months into the project and I'm getting kind of anxious - especially considering I could very well have a faulty mobo or PSU or anything - who knows if stuff was DOA.

I know when it's all said and done - assuming I don't run into any more critical issues - it'll be beautiful and I'll love it. But I'm a tad frustrated right this moment :(

Well atleast the parts you have installed look nice:p. But the closer you get to trying to do everything perfectly the longer it's going to take.

In the meantime try to test if the main parts are working using the stock coolers (not sure if the 3820 comes with one though). It's going to suck if it turns out your mobo or some other part turns out to be dead.

maneil99

If somebody could answer this that would be amazing?

Here is an issue I'd like you guys to help me with. Okay lets go back 3 months, my UD3H Bios dies and I RMA it sell it and get a Gene V. I also RMA the CPU (3570k) I uninstall all the previous junk from the old mother board and test out the new chip running windows 7 SP1. I find I need 1.280 vcore to be stable ( Using Offsets ) with LLC at Ultra High. I run into random freezing issues where my computer would freeze for a few seconds, unthaw with a beep through the computer speakers and return to normal. I reformated to basic windows 7 no SP1 and managed to get my OC to 1.256v however there was vdroop, it hit 1.248v in rpime and 1.256v in normal use. Here is the weird thing it was the exact same offset as before, nothing was changed between formats. So I had network and ping issues so I did some windows updates, lo and behold vcore returns to previous levels, vdroop disappears and random freezes return.

So I have isolated the reason for the Vcore, it is related to AVX, a Intel Instruction Set for windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8. I just upgraded to windows 8 and found out I was using the ASmedia Sata Port and kept getting BSODS. Switched to Intel and its fine now. So I think that accounts for the Freezing.

Back to AVX, when I use a command line to disable AVX things go back down ( freezes still happen this is how I knew it was not an OC issue) temps I get at 73c after 9 hour test 100% fan speed with AVX, 69c with 50% without AVX

What I want to know is

Why does my vdroop disappear? Is this good or bad? Anyone using offets experience this?

Should I leave AVX on or off?

How much time have I killed off my chip by running prime regularly for the last month and a bit?

I have my HDD plugged into the top slot of the intel sata row? it should not effect performance right? (Only have 1 HDD )?

I get 65c max in LoL vsync off (100% CPU Usage) which seems high but considering it was maxing out my CPU I am not sure

Well after updating my PC I ordered the other components that I kept out of my old PC to have another fully working PC to sell, so I'm just wondering what you guys think is a fair price for this build:

CPU - Core i7 860 with a stable overclock of 3.3GHz
CPU Cooler - Corsair closed loop watercooler, cant remember exact model but its one with a 120mm fan
RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600 Mushkin brand
Motherboard - Asus Maximus III Formula
GPU - GeForce GTX 650
PSU - Corsair CX430
HDD - I have 2 Western Digital Black HDDs that I could use, 1 is 500GB and 1 is 1.5TB, I would probably just charge $50 more if they wanted the 1.5TB
Plextor PX-755SA Dual-Layer DVD burner
the case is a mid-tower Cooler Master case as seen here:

longdi

Banned
If somebody could answer this that would be amazing?

Here is an issue I'd like you guys to help me with. Okay lets go back 3 months, my UD3H Bios dies and I RMA it sell it and get a Gene V. I also RMA the CPU (3570k) I uninstall all the previous junk from the old mother board and test out the new chip running windows 7 SP1. I find I need 1.280 vcore to be stable ( Using Offsets ) with LLC at Ultra High. I run into random freezing issues where my computer would freeze for a few seconds, unthaw with a beep through the computer speakers and return to normal. I reformated to basic windows 7 no SP1 and managed to get my OC to 1.256v however there was vdroop, it hit 1.248v in rpime and 1.256v in normal use. Here is the weird thing it was the exact same offset as before, nothing was changed between formats. So I had network and ping issues so I did some windows updates, lo and behold vcore returns to previous levels, vdroop disappears and random freezes return.

So I have isolated the reason for the Vcore, it is related to AVX, a Intel Instruction Set for windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8. I just upgraded to windows 8 and found out I was using the ASmedia Sata Port and kept getting BSODS. Switched to Intel and its fine now. So I think that accounts for the Freezing.

Back to AVX, when I use a command line to disable AVX things go back down ( freezes still happen this is how I knew it was not an OC issue) temps I get at 73c after 9 hour test 100% fan speed with AVX, 69c with 50% without AVX

What I want to know is

Why does my vdroop disappear? Is this good or bad? Anyone using offets experience this?

Should I leave AVX on or off?

How much time have I killed off my chip by running prime regularly for the last month and a bit?

I have my HDD plugged into the top slot of the intel sata row? it should not effect performance right? (Only have 1 HDD )?

I get 65c max in LoL vsync off (100% CPU Usage) which seems high but considering it was maxing out my CPU I am not sure

vdroop occurs when you are stressing your cpu. For asus boards, at ultra high LLC, it should actually boost the vcore in stress situation. I dont like that imo. Temps shoot way too high. Just turn to normal or high.

AVX i dont think you can or should leave it off it, It is a good thing. If your PC crashed with AVX on, that means your OC is not stable. Try with other settings. If not, you are just lying to yourself.

I just think your OC settings is not stable. what speeds are you at? 4.2 to 4.4 ghz on i5 3570k shouldnt need anything more than 1.2-1.25v

I've asked laptop GAF already, but I figured I might as well ask here as well:

What's the word on Haswell's performance in laptops? My girlfriend's brother needs one for college and right now I'm hunting for one with the requisite of it having a 4th gen CPU. Is it worth it?

GHG

Gold Member
Hi guys, I guess this would be the best place to ask, I'll soon be building my first PC, and if anyone could give me a quick second opinion that'd be awesome.

Budget: I'm in the UK and my budget is £1,150 (at the moment, I'd like to get ordering parts and building ASAP but I could add ~£150 at the end of each month, starting July, if necessary)

Main Use: Emulation (Dolphin is a priority) but gaming in general, also a priority is streaming games in HD. I have a separate capture card already and I want to be able to stream HD (say over Twitch) and some general Web usage + 1080p playback

Monitor Resolution: I'll use my HDTV as a monitor to start with, I'll upgrade to a monitor later.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: To be very specific, games such as Xenoblade Chronicles and Super Mario Galaxy and other Dolphin games at 1080p and 60fps when applicable, I'm not sure how feasible it is, (I'm still doing some research) but I have a HD PVR 2 and would like to stream these games using XSplit on Twitch. But I would like to be able to run newer, more graphically intensive games as well.

When will you build?: As soon as I can, if I need a bit more £££ then I get paid at the end of every month, and would be able to add around £150 each month, but I've been saving slowly for a while, I've just been paid and I'm itching to get going!

Will you be overclocking?: Maybe, we'll see how confident I am with the whole thing, but I'd like the potential to.

With this in mind, I've used the PCPartPicker in the OP and come up with the following:

This comes to £1,166, I'll be adding a monitor/optical drive etc later. For it's purpose, is it lacking in a particular direction? I realise that the website has a function to share the build but I was directed to a log in screen, it's 2am here and I'm up for work in 5 hours, but I'll sort it out tomorrow if it helps. I apologise if I've left any important information out and if so, again, I'll edit tomorrow with more info. I just wanted second/third opinions before I delve in since it's an expensive endeavor.

Thanks in advance, GAF!

Looks good for what you want to use it for although i wouldnt get a 680 these days. Get the 770 or if budget permits, the 780. The 780 will last you a long time, most OC past titan levels.

kharma45

Thanks in advance, GAF!

Are you just gaming? If so you don't need that much RAM. Also that PSU is junk, I'll throw something else together for you in a minute.

kharma45

Right I've thrown together this

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1bNBi

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£263.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£116.34 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£70.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.20 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£329.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£76.78 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Be Quiet Pure Power 630W Modular PSU (£70 @ Ebuyer)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.35 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1123.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-30 13:57 BST+0100)

and then for internet get a set of HomePlugs http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004INVKP4/

I just replaced the thermal paste for my i3-2100. I went from 68c/85c down to 55c/64c.

It was my first time and I was too worried I put too much that I had to take it off. I saw that it couldn't have possibly been better. The paste got evenly distributed across the entire surface.

Still too hot and I don't want to bother thoroughly cleaning the heatsink.

Just for comparison, my HD5850 goes 43c/61c.

kennah

I just replaced the thermal paste for my i3-2100. I went from 68c/85c down to 55c/64c.

It was my first time and I was too worried I put too much that I had to take it off. I saw that it couldn't have possibly been better. The paste got evenly distributed across the entire surface.

Still too hot and I don't want to bother thoroughly cleaning the heatsink.

Just for comparison, my HD5850 goes 43c/61c.
Which cooler?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Hey guys, I'm lookin to replace my dead laptop with a new PC and finally get a computer that's at least capable of playing games (the intel express graphics on this laptop have been a pain in my ass for over half a decade now).

I'm looking at the OP and the big jpg of Hazaro's builds. My sub-$1k budget means I'm looking at his "Standard - Very Capable" build and that seems like it would do fine by me, but I'm trying to find something pre-fab that's similar so I don't have to put it together myself, not that I'm incapable, I'm just older and don't care as much as I used to so I don't wanna mess around electronics anymore. Is there any reason not to get something like the basement tier Alienware here which seems to have pretty comparable specs when it's almost the exact same price?

If so anybody got any other recommendations for a capable pre-built machine I can just buy and call it a day?
Is this thread only for people that are building? Just looking for some help finding a functional low/mid tier system from a good dealer at a decent price. I've been looking at sites like tigerdirect and newegg for two days now and I'm drowning in options and don't want to make a bad choice and end up with a rig with awful integrated graphics like the one I've been using for 6 years.

What about a low end laptop with dedicated graphics that will run modern games even on low/mid settings? I think I'd prefer that over a desktop.

diamount

Banned

Thanks in advance, GAF!

I suggest swapping out the 680 for a 7970 Ghz, better performance most of the time and cheaper. With the saving you could get a better heatsink.

hey, guys. I have a question on my recent computer order. I just bought a gigabyte GTX 770 4GB and realized that my Corsair HX620W may not have enough power connectors to power it. Should it be fine? I can't find what comes in the box. Does it come with cable adapters?

I should be fine as Gigabyte supplies a 2x4-pin molex to 8 pin pci-e adapter with the card.

hey, guys. I have a question on my recent computer order. I just bought a gigabyte GTX 770 4GB and realized that my Corsair HX620W may not have enough power connectors to power it. Should it be fine? I can't find what comes in the box. Does it come with cable adapters?

clav

Wow that HD 7790 bundle with Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and Tomb Raider is an excellent deal ($100) for budget minded gamers.

Thinking about finally pulling the trigger on my final component (outside of OS): the CPU.

I was planning to wait for a sale or price drop, but those are so sporadic that I'm beginning to feel like it's not worth the wait. So, as I was advised earlier, I think I'm going with the i5. In the NewEgg videos I've watched, it's mentioned that Intel's stock heatsinks are a little unreliable. Should I go ahead and get a separate heatsink, even if I'm not planning on overclocking? Similarly, do I need to get thermal paste?

clav

Thinking about finally pulling the trigger on my final component (outside of OS): the CPU.

I was planning to wait for a sale or price drop, but those are so sporadic that I'm beginning to feel like it's not worth the wait. So, as I was advised earlier, I think I'm going with the i5. In the NewEgg videos I've watched, it's mentioned that Intel's stock heatsinks are a little unreliable. Should I go ahead and get a separate heatsink, even if I'm not planning on overclocking? Similarly, do I need to get thermal paste?

Stock heatsinks are fine for non-overclockers. If you really think the performance is terrible, then buy an aftermarket. Try it out first.

On my setup, my temps are 36 idle and 50 load.

Yes. I find the thermal paste pre-applied on graphics cards and CPUs terrible. Up to you though. Some other people may offer different experiences.

Why are you buying the 3570K if you're not overclocking?

Stock heatsinks are fine for non-overclockers. If you really think the performance is terrible, then buy an aftermarket. Try it out first.

On my setup, my temps are 36 idle and 50 load.

Yes. I find the thermal paste pre-applied on graphics cards and CPUs terrible. Up to you though. Some other people may offer different experiences.

Why are you buying the 3570K if you're not overclocking?

Well there's only a five dollar difference between the 3570 and the 3570K, and the K is listed as containing Intel HD Graphics 4000 over Intel HD Graphics 2500 (Which I assume is an improvement) and should I feel more comfortable with the whole thing, I'll at least have the option to overclock in the future.

Part of me is still tempted to go for an i7. Is there really no large difference when it comes to gaming/basic performance?

RoKKeR

Ugh, is this a joke? My 770 can't handle ACIII with everything maxed + TXAA? In the theater scene I got drops into the teens, could barely hold 60fps, shit. I'm sick of pinning this on the drivers. 320.49 Beta here. There are moments where everything is just fine but then it just breaks down other times. Is this normal for ACIII?

clav

You cannot keep the games from what i understood (timelocked). But they give you more then plenty time to finish every sp.

Source?

I don't see anything about expiration dates aside from redeeming the promo code.
Well there's only a five dollar difference between the 3570 and the 3570K, and the K is listed as containing Intel HD Graphics 4000 over Intel HD Graphics 2500 (Which I assume is an improvement) and should I feel more comfortable with the whole thing, I'll at least have the option to overclock in the future.

Part of me is still tempted to go for an i7. Is there really no large difference when it comes to gaming/basic performance?

OK. Just wondering your rationale. I would just overclock on day 1, and I assume you bought a Z motherboard, not H or B (i.e. H77).

Not at all and not worth it in terms of the cost difference. You can surf the web, check e-mail, and even play a few games on Netbook power-level processors. I have a low-powered AMD setup (E-450) specifically for this.

clav

Are we expecting the AMD 8000 series soon? Rumors say Q3 2013.

Q3 2013 refers to July 1 -> Sept 30 unless there is something about Q number scheme differing from tax dates and graphics cards release dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom