• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton668

Calm down buddy. Someone on GAF posted that and I didn't verify it since I've decided to go NVIDIA for a short while now.

no worries, I'm quite calm. Though for future reference, it would probably be better to verify things before hand as not to spread misinformation around.

Roland1979

The games are just keys for steam/uplay and they are definitely permanent.

Yes and it 's a sweet deal if they're yours to keep for sure (which i know understand they are). I did read "as long as supplies last" just now in the conditions, but i don't think you have to worry about that for a while, and when they are about to run out they'll probably make a announced to entice people to quickly buy their GPU with the last keys.
If you where going AMD anyways then it's more then a sweet deal, it's just pure bonus.
I would go with the 7970 hz edition myself if i weren't going with a 144hz monitor with almost 0 input lag and response time that also supports 3D.

WolvenOne

Hello thread!

Now, right now, I don't need a new PC, however I am looking to upgrade one or two components. I want this desktop to get me by for at least another 18 months, but I also don't want to spend more than I have to in order to do it.

For full context, here's what I'm expecting to do with this machine.

Right now, I'm using my PC, to play multiplat PS360 titles that I missed earlier this generation. I'm also occasionally hosting livestreams while doing this. During the next 18 months, I expect the games that'll push this machine the hardest are going to be.

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, and Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls 1 plays okay on my current set-up, but while livestreaming I have to drop the resolution down to 720p to maintain a mostly steady frame rate. The Final Fantasy XIV Beta, similarly runs mostly smooth on my computer, but it sometimes slows down during hectic periods, and I'd like to set the settings higher if I could.

Here are the specs of my current rig, I'm i'll underline the components I'm most tempted to swap out.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3400mhz
Radeon HD 6850, 1024MB GDDR5RAM
4GB DDR3 System memory, 1334mhz, Corsair
1TB HDD, RPM Unkown

I realize that games often see a benefit from an SSD, and that my CPU is a bit on the old side, but the former is too expensive for the benefit I'd expect, and I'm fairly certain to get a substantially more powerful CPU, I'd have to swap out the entire motherboard.

So, I guess I have two questions. First, would additional system RAM be at all beneficial to my gaming, or should I focus on the GPU. Second, for what I'm intending to do, what videocard would get me the best bang for my buck? Should I stick with AMD? Go nVidia, or what?

Or is this far too antiquated to be worth upgrading? Well, okay I guess that makes it three questions, my bad.

Anyhow, any advice I could get on this matter would be most appreciated, thank you. :)

Roland1979

1TB HDD, RPM Unkown

I'm no expert, so hope others will give you some better advice, but i do know most games do NOT benefit from a SSD, they just boot up much faster. For streaming and recording you want lots of cheap RAM, other then that the most logical upgrade would be a GPU for the best price/quality ratio you can find. Maybe the 7950, maybe you can get the Boost edition or the Ghz edition if it's released already for the same price as the regular if you shop around. maybe keep the CPU.

kharma45

Hello thread!

Now, right now, I don't need a new PC, however I am looking to upgrade one or two components. I want this desktop to get me by for at least another 18 months, but I also don't want to spend more than I have to in order to do it.

For full context, here's what I'm expecting to do with this machine.

Right now, I'm using my PC, to play multiplat PS360 titles that I missed earlier this generation. I'm also occasionally hosting livestreams while doing this. During the next 18 months, I expect the games that'll push this machine the hardest are going to be.

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, and Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls 1 plays okay on my current set-up, but while livestreaming I have to drop the resolution down to 720p to maintain a mostly steady frame rate. The Final Fantasy XIV Beta, similarly runs mostly smooth on my computer, but it sometimes slows down during hectic periods, and I'd like to set the settings higher if I could.

Here are the specs of my current rig, I'm i'll underline the components I'm most tempted to swap out.

1TB HDD, RPM Unkown

I realize that games often see a benefit from an SSD, and that my CPU is a bit on the old side, but the former is too expensive for the benefit I'd expect, and I'm fairly certain to get a substantially more powerful CPU, I'd have to swap out the entire motherboard.

So, I guess I have two questions. First, would additional system RAM be at all beneficial to my gaming, or should I focus on the GPU. Second, for what I'm intending to do, what videocard would get me the best bang for my buck? Should I stick with AMD? Go nVidia, or what?

Or is this far too antiquated to be worth upgrading? Well, okay I guess that makes it three questions, my bad.

Anyhow, any advice I could get on this matter would be most appreciated, thank you. :)

You don't have to swap your motherboard for a better CPU, so long as the one you have supports CPUs with a 125w TDP you can slot in an FX 8320 or an 8350. What I would do though rather than that is buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and overclock your 965, you should be able to get it up to around 4GHz. RAM wise maybe bump it up to 8GB. How many DIMMs do you have installed already?

Best bang for buck video card depends on what you can afford.

I took off the HSF and applied some Arctic Silver 5. CPU 0 temp stays under 60 which is awesome but the Fintek reading is still >60 after 8 passes of Prime95 in Blend mode.

I am just trying to determine what reading is more accurate - CPU 0 or Fintek. If it's CPU 0 then I am definitely in the clear.

62C is apparently the max any FX series should have to put up with under load for extended periods of time (i.e. gaming).

Note:

Sounds like AMD just being a bit cautious. From a quick Google apparently the max 24/7 temp for the FX-6300 is 70C. For the 8-core FX processors it's 61C.

WolvenOne

I'm no expert, so hope others will give you some better advice, but i do know most games do NOT benefit from a SSD, they just boot up much faster. For streaming and recording you want lots of cheap RAM, other then that the most logical upgrade would be a GPU for the best price/quality ratio you can find. Maybe the 7950, maybe you can get the Boost edition or the Ghz edition if it's released already for the same price as the regular if you shop around. maybe keep the CPU.

For a rig that I intend to last only 12-18 months before I do an entire rebuild, those GPU's are probably a little overkill. You're probably right about cheap RAM being beneficial to livesteaming however, so depending on prices, an additional 4-to-8 GB of Ram is going straight to the top of the list.

You don't have to swap your motherboard for a better CPU, so long as the one you have supports CPUs with a 125w TDP you can slot in an FX 8320 or an 8350. What I would do though rather than that is buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and overclock your 965, you should be able to get it up to around 4GHz. RAM wise maybe bump it up to 8GB. How many DIMMs do you have installed already?

Best bang for buck video card depends on what you can afford.

2 DIMMS, with slots for another two available, it shouldn't be difficult to bump things up to 8GB.

I hadn't considered overclocking before actually. That's been one of those things I'd frequently considered, but dismissed in favor of new parts. Considering this is a, "get me by," solution, that's probably a really good idea.

As for GPU, 200usd is probably my budget, but it might be a good idea to wait till mid-august before biting the bullet. I only want something with a bit more on board RAM, a couple hundred extra Stream processors, and doesn't sound like a jet taking off. (No more XFX cards for me.)

To that purpose, the 200usd range cards should be fine, but they'll probably drop 20-30 dollars during AMD's next hardware refresh.

So basically, I'm thinking I'll grab this, or something similar, once it drops to $175 or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161411&IsVirtualParent=1

kharma45

For a rig that I intend to last only 12-18 months before I do an entire rebuild, those GPU's are probably a little overkill. You're probably right about cheap RAM being beneficial to livesteaming however, so depending on prices, an additional 4-to-8 GB of Ram is going straight to the top of the list.

2 DIMMS, with slots for another two available, it shouldn't be difficult to bump things up to 8GB.

I hadn't considered overclocking before actually. That's been one of those things I'd frequently considered, but dismissed in favor of new parts. Considering this is a, "get me by," solution, that's probably a really good idea.

As for GPU, 200usd is probably my budget, but it might be a good idea to wait till mid-august before biting the bullet. I only want something with a bit more on board RAM, a couple hundred extra Stream processors, and doesn't sound like a jet taking off. (No more XFX cards for me.)

To that purpose, the 200usd range cards should be fine, but they'll probably drop 20-30 dollars during AMD's next hardware refresh.

So basically, I'm thinking I'll grab this, or something similar, once it drops to $175 or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161411&IsVirtualParent=1

The Hyper 212 Plus is $15 after rebate atm, you'd be crazy not to get it and overclock :p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

If you're after a 7870 go for this, only $170 after rebate so it might tempt you to jump in now ;) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

For RAM you could throw in this $25 stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= same speed as your current stuff so should work off the bat.

diaspora

You don't have to swap your motherboard for a better CPU, so long as the one you have supports CPUs with a 125w TDP you can slot in an FX 8320 or an 8350.

The 965 is a 125W CPU anyway, so if he's using it now it should stand to reason his mobo currently supports CPUs with a 125W TDP right?

kharma45

The 965 is a 125W CPU anyway, so if he's using it now it should stand to reason his mobo currently supports CPUs with a 125W TDP right?

Yep it would, didn't realise the 965 was a 125w part. Thought it was 95w but I was wrong. For the sake of $15 I'd overclock first and then see how that goes.

Looks good for what you want to use it for although i wouldnt get a 680 these days. Get the 770 or if budget permits, the 780. The 780 will last you a long time, most OC past titan levels.

I suggest swapping out the 680 for a 7970 Ghz, better performance most of the time and cheaper. With the saving you could get a better heatsink.

Thanks guys for your input! Much appreciated <3

Are you just gaming? If so you don't need that much RAM. Also that PSU is junk, I'll throw something else together for you in a minute.

Gaming is a priority, yes, aswell as HD livestreaming game footage, I wasn't sure how much of an impact that'd have.

Right I've thrown together this

Thanks a lot for putting the time into this for me, I've still got a lot to look into but wanted to make sure I wasn't heading in the wrong direction. I can upgrade the smaller parts again a bit later on, but I've got itchy feet and really want to start as soon as I can. Again, thanks for heads up. I appreciate it.

DorianD

Hey Gaf, so I'm planning on helping my brother build a solid 1080P gaming rig that will have potential for upgrades down the road. Here are the parts I have selected with prices and an estimated total:

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $229.99

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $28.79

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 $124.99

Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $64.99

Storage A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" SSD $109.99
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM $89.79

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB $269.20

Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower $129.99

Power Supply Corsair 700W ATX12V $129.73

Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $68.00

Total: $1245.46

I was thinking of doing an Haswell build, but not 100% sure just yet. My own gaming rig is 3770 non K with a GTX 670 with 8GB's of Ram at 1600mhz which runs everything I need. Link to my PC part Picker

Does anyone want a copy of 3D Mark Advanced Benchmark? It came for free when I bought my 7850 card a few months ago, but I forgot about it and don't exactly plan on using it. First person to reply who wants it, gets it.

Edit: I'm throwing the paper out, so whoever wants it can use it.

WolvenOne

The Hyper 212 Plus is $15 after rebate atm, you'd be crazy not to get it and overclock :p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

If you're after a 7870 go for this, only $170 after rebate so it might tempt you to jump in now ;) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

For RAM you could throw in this $25 stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= same speed as your current stuff so should work off the bat.

Well, I've contacted a local friend of mine about overclocking the CPU, and he's agreed to help. He's also advising me to let him help me overclock my videocard as well. He's pretty much in agreement that the card you linked above is an awesome deal, but he seems to think that if I overclock my CPU and GPU, and add a little RAM I should be good for the games I want to play until the end of the year.

Not a bad deal on RAM, though I think that'd only get me upto 6GB. Which, albeit, would probably be just fine for my purposes.

There is a good chance however, that if I can pull all this off for less than a hundred, that it may move up the schedule on my rebuild. From, 18 months from now, to potentially early next year. Saving a couple hundred dollars now after all, makes that easier to justify, and I'm all about gaming responsibly.

I am however, going to bookmark the link to that, and stare wistfully for many a long hour. *siiiigh*

DorianD

700W PSU is overkill. Case seems very large. Do you need a BD-rewriter?

Otherwise looks quite good.

Thanks. Perhaps 700W is overkill, but it may come to be handy for a possible two way SLI setup. The case looks to be awesome and probably beastly for cable management, but I'm thinking perhaps a r4 or arc mid r2 would be good, and my bro wants Blu-ray so that is all I can do haha.

kharma45

Hey Gaf, so I'm planning on helping my brother build a solid 1080P gaming rig that will have potential for upgrades down the road. Here are the parts I have selected with prices and an estimated total:

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $229.99

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $28.79

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 $124.99

Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $64.99

Storage A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" SSD $109.99
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM $89.79

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB $269.20

Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower $129.99

Power Supply Corsair 700W ATX12V $129.73

Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $68.00

Total: $1245.46

I was thinking of doing an Haswell build, but not 100% sure just yet. My own gaming rig is 3770 non K with a GTX 670 with 8GB's of Ram at 1600mhz which runs everything I need. Link to my PC part Picker

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($120.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.13 @ TigerDirect)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $969.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-30 19:32 EDT-0400)

Better PSU, lower profile RAM, you can upgrade the HDD to 2TB if you really think he'll need it. No need for a disc drive and a mid tower case is easily big enough.

kharma45

Well, I've contacted a local friend of mine about overclocking the CPU, and he's agreed to help. He's also advising me to let him help me overclock my videocard as well. He's pretty much in agreement that the card you linked above is an awesome deal, but he seems to think that if I overclock my CPU and GPU, and add a little RAM I should be good for the games I want to play until the end of the year.

Not a bad deal on RAM, though I think that'd only get me upto 6GB. Which, albeit, would probably be just fine for my purposes.

There is a good chance however, that if I can pull all this off for less than a hundred, that it may move up the schedule on my rebuild. From, 18 months from now, to potentially early next year. Saving a couple hundred dollars now after all, makes that easier to justify, and I'm all about gaming responsibly.

I am however, going to bookmark the link to that, and stare wistfully for many a long hour. *siiiigh*

Yeah you can easily OC that 7870 to 7950 levels. OCing the CPU is easy enough too. Doing those two things alone will help a lot with your performance. By the end of the year AMD has Steamroller out on AM3+ and if it's good you could upgrade to it without changing mobo.

Why would the RAM take you to 6GB? 4 +4 = 8? Linked the wrong fucking stuff lol http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251

DorianD

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($120.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.13 @ TigerDirect)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $969.29
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-30 19:32 EDT-0400)

Better PSU, lower profile RAM, you can upgrade the HDD to 2TB if you really think he'll need it. No need for a disc drive and a mid tower case is easily big enough.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look and compare this for sure with PC part Picker Canada with the prices of the items you have suggested.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1bYaw) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1bYaw/by_merchant/) / [Benchmarks](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1bYaw/benchmarks/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53570k) | $229.99 @ Amazon Canada
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrb10212pg1) | $25.30 @ DirectCanada
**Motherboard** | [MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z77agd55) | $128.78 @ DirectCanada
**Memory** | [Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls2kit4g3d1609ds1s00) | $70.13 @ NCIX
**Storage** | [Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sh103s3120g) | $123.04 @ DirectCanada
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex) | $67.79 @ DirectCanada
**Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42763kr) | $269.20 @ TigerDirect Canada
**Case** | [Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4bl) | $109.99 @ Memory Express
**Power Supply** | [SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm) | $119.99 @ NCIX
**Optical Drive** | [Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-optical-drive-bw12b1stblkgas) | $67.99 @ Newegg Canada
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. | $1212.20
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-30 19:49 EDT-0400 |

Edit* So I added everything plus an asus blu ray drive and the price in from Canadian PC part picker is $1212.20

kharma45

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look and compare this for sure with PC part Picker Canada with the prices of the items you have suggested.

Oh sorry I didn't realise you were using the Canadian one, instead it'd be like this

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.30 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.20 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($98.38 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1081.62
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-30 19:51 EDT-0400)

What does your brother want Blu ray for?

DorianD

Wants to be able to watch and burn large files on discs so he can archive them. Other than that, not much else to it I suppose.

kennah

Do you get any discount at BestBuy?

Too bad you're asking now. Just missed out on the intel retail program. Could've got a 3770K for less than that 3570

DorianD

Do you get any discount at BestBuy?

Too bad you're asking now. Just missed out on the intel retail program. Could've got a 3770K for less than that 3570

Haha. Man I guess I haven't updated my profile for a while. I used to work at Best Buy before all the stores closed on Vancouver Island. Discount on that stuff would have been solid for sure.

kharma45

Wants to be able to watch and burn large files on discs so he can archive them. Other than that, not much else to it I suppose.

Comes to $1157 then, changed that RAM as I accidentally put in 1.65v stuff

[PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.30 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($128.78 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.30 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.79 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($98.38 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($68.00 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1161.72
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-30 20:05 EDT-0400)

DorianD

Comes to $1157 then, changed that RAM as I accidentally put in 1.65v stuff

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.30 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($68.00 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1157.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-30 19:56 EDT-0400)

Thank you good sir for the advice and tips. I'll log this build on my pc part picker for sure. I'll pitch this to him and get his take on it. Looks like a rock solid machine for sure.

kharma45

Thank you good sir for the advice and tips. I'll log this build on my pc part picker for sure. I'll pitch this to him and get his take on it. Looks like a rock solid machine for sure.

No problem. I updated it there now to change the mobo but bar that I would be happy to recommend that build.

asdad123

I went to micro center to pick up an open box 7870 for my brother for $200 today, and as I pick it up, I notice an open box EVGA 670 FTW for $323, and they were running a 20% off clearance so I felt like I couldn't pass up the deal and bought that instead for him.

Ended up walking out with it for $270 acter tax and it has the full 3 years of warranty. Good deal?

He was also gonna get a 3570k with a z77, but I bought him a 4670k with a asrock pro 4 since it ended up only being $10 more.

He went from a x4 640 and a 768mb gtx460 to a 4670k and a 2gb 670. He better be happy lol.

I went to micro center to pick up an open box 7870 for my brother for $200 today, and as I pick it up, I notice an open box EVGA 670 FTW for $323, and they were running a 20% off clearance so I felt like I couldn't pass up the deal and bought that instead for him.

Ended up walking out with it for $270 acter tax and it has the full 3 years of warranty. Good deal?

He was also gonna get a 3570k with a z77, but I bought him a 4670k with a asrock pro 4 since it ended up only being $10 more.

He went from a x4 640 and a 768mb gtx460 to a 4670k and a 2gb 670. He better be happy lol.

Pretty good deal especially for buying brick and mortar. Although the GTX 760 just came out for 249 that is close to as fast as a 670...IIRC the 670 might still be 10% faster.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I am way too indecisive right now. I want to spend a lot, but I can't decide if now is the time. I'm almost thinking of a cheap rig and a PS4 combo.

DorianD

I have the same GTX 670 FTW. I don't think he will be disappointed with the performance and the tempes as it stays cool for a blower style card.

I'm looking to upgrade my mobo/cpu; I'm still rocking an i5 750, coupled with 16gb of ram and a Titan.

Should I go haswell or not? I don't need to upgrade right now, just debating on whether to wait some more or not.

I'll be overclocking and I want to go liquid cooled, this time around.

damisa

I was thinking of either upgrading or building a new PC, can't decide which.

Current PC:
Intel i5-760 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3.36GHz, can probably go higher
4GB system ram
amd 5870 1GB
already has an ssd, hard drive, 700W power supply
motherboard has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (motherboard)

I can build a completely new system with a new processor, gtx770, case, etc. It came out to ~1400 for everything.

If I upgrade, I would just replace the 5870 with a gtx770 and upgrade the ram to 8GB. The price would be much less (500-600) Would games be held back by the CPU or PCI Express 2.0? I primarily game at 1080p although I may upgrade later to a 1440p monitor.

Roland1979

4670k ? I though of the i5 series that there was nothing more powerful then the 3570(k).
Are there more competitive i5 CPU's?
EDIT: is it true that the 3570k overclocks better? Just read IB overclocks better then Haswell and is more power efficient.

Mr. Hyde

I am assuming it is a seating problem if my cpu temperature is reaching 94C on a fpu stress test at stock settings, eh? I know haswell chips (I am using the 4670k) runs hot but that would be ridiculous if it hit that on a hyper 212 evo. I've reseated it a couple times but I think it never goes on properly. I guess I will wait until my noctua comes in the mail to try this again. I hope that is the problem..

WolvenOne

Yeah you can easily OC that 7870 to 7950 levels. OCing the CPU is easy enough too. Doing those two things alone will help a lot with your performance. By the end of the year AMD has Steamroller out on AM3+ and if it's good you could upgrade to it without changing mobo.

Why would the RAM take you to 6GB? 4 +4 = 8? Linked the wrong fucking stuff lol http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251

Ah, thanks. Gonna bookmark that and order it after my next pay period. I've gone ahead and ordered that heatsink and some Silver Lake contact gel to go with it.

h#shdem0n

Random question: How hot should I let my 660Ti get before adjusting performance to get the temp lower? I don't think I've seen it go above 70C, and aren't they meant to function at temps higher than that?

clav

Random question: How hot should I let my 660Ti get before adjusting performance to get the temp lower? I don't think I've seen it go above 70C, and aren't they meant to function at temps higher than that?

I have a Geforce 8600 GTS (very old card) that idles at 70 degrees. Yes, idles. Not under load.

You will be fine.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The newer 326.01 WHQL driver is doing wonders for my temps. Did a quick BF3 run and temps are down from 6-8C and I'm not getting the weird landscape texture glitch (randomly) anymore.

Solid 98hz (custom refresh) with no drops in MP. I was on the 320.14 driver before this but refused to upgrade until I read some of the feedback. Full endorsement on these so far.

Running SLI 670's.

I am assuming it is a seating problem if my cpu temperature is reaching 94C on a fpu stress test at stock settings, eh? I know haswell chips (I am using the 4670k) runs hot but that would be ridiculous if it hit that on a hyper 212 evo. I've reseated it a couple times but I think it never goes on properly. I guess I will wait until my noctua comes in the mail to try this again. I hope that is the problem..
This is definitely not normal. I have a 4670K and Noctua NH-D14, idleing at 26-30C, under OCCT stress test maxing at 62C.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Check some install videos online. Make sure the screws are in the middle position. If it screws in, you've basically done it correctly. You took the plastic off and reapplied a proper amount of thermal paste?

If it's Small FFT I wouldn't be that surprised. Even with a light OC, Haswell can hit 95C load on an open bench with an H100. It's just stupid.
4670k ? I though of the i5 series that there was nothing more powerful then the 3570(k).
Are there more competitive i5 CPU's?
EDIT: is it true that the 3570k overclocks better? Just read IB overclocks better then Haswell and is more power efficient.
In terms of Ghz it OC's better. Performance is roughly similar after a final 24/7 overclock (Accounting for 3-8% better work efficiency of Haswell), but the Ivy will use less power, make less heat, and run cooler (lowering your HS requirements).
This is definitely not normal. I have a 4670K and Noctua NH-D14, idleing at 26-30C, under OCCT stress test maxing at 62C.
62C load under OCCT at stock is just dumb. OCCT defaults to large FFT which is not that demanding as far as stress testing goes.

peakish

It's finally time for me to update my rig, I'd just like to double check if this is an okay setup. The power is probably where I want it to be for playing gamz at 1080p, I'm not expecting to max out Metro or whatnot; just play modern games decently (also, perhaps go for some Dolphin emulation).

MB: Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE mITX
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4 GHz
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 2048MB DirectCUII
SSD: Samsung SSD Kit 840-Series 120GB
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Svart mITX

I'll salvage a Seasonic s12 430w from my previous build as a PSU, from what I've seen that should be enough for something like this. When I upgrade the GPU sometime in the future I'll get a new one at the same time. I'll get Windows through MSDNAA.

Thinking about adding a Noctua U12S while I'm at it since I value silence. Am I missing anything in particular?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom