• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about building a new beast PC sometimes around New Year.

What are you thinking about this config?
I'm not really sure about cooler and case but it's least improtant.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K(Ivy bridge) 3.40 Ghz or maybe 4770k Haswell is better?
Cooler: Corsair H110
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Video card: MSI GTX780 Lightning 3GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 64 GB 1600 Mhz
HDD: Seagate Constellation CS 3TB 7200 rpm, SATA III, 3TB
SSD: Samsung 840 PRO Series SSD 256ГБ
Case: Thermaltake Armor REVO
Power Supply(too much?): 1350W Thermaltake ToughPower,
Sound card(do i need one?): ASUS Xonar Essence ST/A
System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Hyper 212 can be fiddly and the instructions are a load of piss but once you get two corners of the bracket screwed in on the front it's plain sailing.

If you've a magnetic screwdriver or can borrow one from someone they are extremely handy.
Well I have no idea about these brackets you refer to but I guess I will find out tomorrow hopefully lol.

kharma45

Well I have no idea about these brackets you refer to but I guess I will find out tomorrow hopefully lol.

This thing here

1990beabd8b1358d301f27d11abd2c03.image.350x262.jpg

Worth it though, such a good cooler for the price.

RedSwirl

Last year I was looking at a Z77 motherboard to go together with an i5-3570k. This year I've replaced the latter with a 4670k, so I imagine the Z87 would be the logical choice for that?

lazybum

Neo Member
yeah, the instructions on the Hyper 212 were almost useless. I ended up using some youtube videos to figure out how to put it on, but once it all made sense where everything went it wasn't bad.

One thing I didn't see anywhere but figured out after some trial and error, the screws on the end of that bracket pictured above can be moved between the two slots by pulling up on the bottom spring and sliding the screw over. For my board (Gigabyte UD3H) I had to leave 3 screws in the inner slot and 1 screw in the outer slot to fit the board.

I know that feel man. I bought a gaming laptop a couple years ago and only lasted me two years. Turned back to desktop and never looked back.
Yeah. Pretty bad time to invest in gaming laptop too with next gen here. My $1500 laptop i just purchased was only getting like 35 fps in bf4 beta lol

Addnan

Thanks.

So, is that the general concensus now -- Win 8 is better than 7?

General consensus. No. Still hotly debated. With Start8 installed I just don't care anymore since I don't have to use that awful UI, it's the faster OS, BF4 runs better on it and yeah, the rest feels like W7.

Nice, that GTX 760 should serve you pretty well.
And yeah, the stuff you kept are what you keep usually and they're still good components.

Plan on overclocking?

I don't have an SSD atm, but plan on getting one as soon as the prices are a bit lower.

I might do some overclocking when I feel like I need to. Honestly, right now everything is running so smoothly at normal settings that I don't feel the need to overclock much.

And getting an SSD is a solid investment. Even if you it doesn't have a huge impact on games, just how snappy it makes things feel is worth it.

RedSwirl

Trying to decide between a GTX 760 and an HD 7870. Trying to figure out why the 7870 is like $50 cheaper but looks similar specs-wise.

Trying to decide between a GTX 760 and an HD 7870. Trying to figure out why the 7870 is like $50 cheaper but looks similar specs-wise.

760 is more powerful than a 7870, it competes more with the 7950 performance wise. 7870 are going for bargain basement prices last I looked though, like ~$160.

nbthedude

Thanks.

So, is that the general concensus now -- Win 8 is better than 7?

Well there is one objection I can think of:

Windows 8.1 HATES Games for Windows Live.

Getting Dark Souls to run on it is a monumental task that takes hours and hours.

It fucking sucks.

kharma45

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Amazing price for Radeon R9 290X + Battlefield 4 Bundle announced.

So that's pretty much £400 for a radeon-r9-290x if you consider the cost of Battlefield 4 bundle which includes premium right? as that totals £55/60.

Radeon r9 290 to be £350.

Fucking amazing AMD.

Do pounds/euros/funnymonies usually translate 1:1 to the USD like video game consoles? $519 for the r90x bundle in the states?

I didn't like SLI. Probably would like CF even less. But man, I could switch out my Titan for two of these....

Sanjay

Do pounds/euros/funnymonies usually translate 1:1 to the USD like video game consoles? $519 for the r90x bundle in the states?

I didn't like SLI. Probably would like CF even less. But man, I could switch out my Titan for two of these....

€519.99/$716.81/£443.35 = r90x bundle

But Battlefield 4 with Premium would set Americans back 100 dollars right so $600 seems about right for naked r90x and for r90 $499.99.

But we pay VAT so it might be even less for you Americans!

Switch that MSI 760 GTX to a Gigabyte 760 GTX. I have the MSI one and I wish I bought the Gigabyte one.

Same cooling capabilities, about the same noise output, and a lot more core clock on the Gigabyte card.

Ty4on

I don't want to OC.

Not for a good while anyway. What about fans/cooling in general? Do cases just come with them?

Pretty much all come with some fans. For a regular build you don't need much, but most cases come with 3pin fans so I would suggest a mobo that can control the speed of the fans if the case can't. 4pin fans are usually used in CPU coolers.

Vitacat

Well there is one objection I can think of:

Windows 8.1 HATES Games for Windows Live.

Getting Dark Souls to run on it is a monumental task that takes hours and hours.

It fucking sucks.

Please tell me more about Win Live games not working in Win 8.

I just recently bought several Win Live games on Steam, i.e. SF4AE, Dead Rising 2 etc. Will I have problems with them on Win 8?

PatzCU

Any RAM guru's in the house? I have two easy questions:

1. Can I run just one stick of RAM in a parallel slot? I very foolishly bought one stick of 8GB RAM thinking it was a 2x4GB pack (stupid, stupid, stupid)

2. Will these two types of RAM play nice in the sandbox together? CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB and G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB. Both are DDR3 1600 but it looks like they have different timing so I wasn't sure if that excludes the ability to use both.

Thank you!!!

maneil99

So I installed YTdownloader, gave me a bunch of advertisements and tooldbars ect. manually uninstalled everything I could. Im oCD about this kind of stuff, I reformat my computer alot, should I do it again? Just downloaded malware bytes and it detected 6 infections, removed them all. Doing a full scan now ( did a quick scan before ) What should I do? Will these lower my performance

Sanctuary

I don't know if it's like this on the non OEM versions of Windows 8.1, but whoever decided on how to print the key needs to be slapped a few times.

I have no issues reading small print, yet three-fourths of the black print is on a dark blue background. Even that isn't too awful (but it's bad) until you try to read specific characters. With the way they printed this, it could be D or 0, and 8 or B. There are also two of the same characters side by side that are not even the same size, while every other character is the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom