• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are you sure you can't fit another fan in the roof? In my Prodigy, I could fit a 120mm fan just fine with a DVD-drive installed.

I tried by moving the standard front fan but it wouldn't like up with the screw holes.

if I could, would I make that exhaust and then make the radiator intake? even as an exhaust, the radiator will still be pulling some warm air from the GPU I guess.

I tried by moving the standard front fan but it wouldn't like up with the screw holes.

if I could, would I make that exhaust and then make the radiator intake? even as an exhaust, the radiator will still be pulling some warm air from the GPU I guess.
Do you mean the 120mm Spectre fan that came with the case? That thing should fit, try again. Or try mounting the rad in the roof spot and have the 120mm fan exhaust out the back.

Is the 780 as loud as this video presumes or is this only with the micro being that close to the fan ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ4g_J3CMfw

I don't mind it (headphones) but since my PC is in the living room it could become irritating to other people in the room or trying to watch TV.
Might be the mic. The Titan-esque cooler is supposed to be really good, especially considering it's a blower, but dual-fan coolers are generally quieter. Here's a chart I pulled from an Anandtech review:

58302.png

The (dual-fan) EVGA ACX beats the reference 780 by a pretty big margin.

Antec aren't too bad for the price - it's a little loud maybe for the airflow. There's a lot better ones though.

Edit: Just noticed the price. Not a chance in hell. Maybe if it was <$10 like it is at NCIX, but no way at $18. You could get one of these for that much.
Yeah I just looked on Newegg and fans there are like 1/3 the price lol...damn bestbuy. BTW anyone know what kind of performance to expect from the 280x in bf4?

Sethos

Banned
Need some quick help. My Rampage IV Extreme southbridge fan is being a bitch, this high-pitch whine that pisses me off to no end and it's starting to give me a headache. It's running at a silent profile so not much I can do.

Basically I want a new motherboard, something that will house my two Titans and 3930k / h100i plus 4 sticks of G.Skill. Normally I'd go do my research and find one I like but I'm lazy, any new contenders worth mentioning and it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Props for any quick answers as I'd love to get it by tomorrow.

EDIT: ASUS P9X79 any good?

kharma45

Yeah, you can get them as low as $135 but not from Microcenter, they don't seem to have much in stock. You could try going for the FX-4150 to see if that gives you budget room, otherwise the 7770 (or 7790) would be your only real choice!

I'll see if I can find these Athlon X4 760K processors or the FX-4150 (Actually, I'm having trouble searching for it. Is it a processor or a motherboard?). Do you think the 260X is a good substitute for the 7770?

Avoid the 4150, woeful CPU.

Addnan

Need some quick help. My Rampage IV Extreme southbridge fan is being a bitch, this high-pitch whine that pisses me off to no end and it's starting to give me a headache. It's running at a silent profile so not much I can do.

Basically I want a new motherboard, something that will house my two Titans and 3930k / h100i plus 4 sticks of G.Skill. Normally I'd go do my research and find one I like but I'm lazy, any new contenders worth mentioning and it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Props for any quick answers as I'd love to get it by tomorrow.

How much do you want to spend. The Asus stuff are probably the best in x79. Rampage IV Formula looks good. Gigabyte UD3 X79 is good for a cheaper board. Nothing really new though, new X79 stuff is slowing down.

Sethos

Banned
How much do you want to spend. The Asus stuff are probably the best in x79. Rampage IV Formula looks good. Gigabyte UD3 X79 is good for a cheaper board. Nothing really me though, new X79 stuff is slowing down.

Just updated my post with a suggestion. I don't want to blow big money but my selection is limited as I need it by tomorrow and only one store in Denmark ships all the way up till 19:00.

Thinking ASUS P9X79 Pro, mainly because it doesn't have a Southbridge fan. Southbridge fans are the bane of my existence.

I was able to get the Avermedia Live Gamer HD for $140, off of Newegg. The cheapest I've seen it was $170. Now I'll be able to stream the next generation consoles, at least as soon as Sony patches the PS4. They've been vague exactly when that will be.

1 x ($339.99) Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Qu $339.99
1 x ($309.99) MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit G $309.99
1 x ($159.99) GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA $159.99
1 x ($97.99) Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II $97.99
1 x ($79.99) Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM D $79.99
1 x ($79.99) Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W Continuous @40° $79.99
1 x ($69.99) Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB - OEM $69.99
1 x ($29.99) Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 D $29.99

What kind power draw am I looking at here anyway like under just normal usage like web browsing and then gaming

Addnan

Just updated my post with a suggestion. I don't want to blow big money but my selection is limited as I need it by tomorrow and only one store in Denmark ships all the way up till 19:00.

Thinking ASUS P9X79 Pro, mainly because it doesn't have a Southbridge fan. Southbridge fans are the bane of my existence.
Was on train couldn't reply. Anyway some googling shows very little difference between the two. I would just jump on the cheaper on. Also the Gigabyte is Hazaro approved product :p

Anton668

Well I'm not sure. Is that the max possible usage...is that what that number is? Like playing something like dota 2 will use 448 watts?

if you click on the number of the est wattage you get something like this..
jPiEjML.png

so its estimating that at max thats how much power your system will draw

and with that parts list you have I dont think dota will really be stressing your system...

Sethos

Banned
Can't you just unplug the fan? Can't see the SB producing too much heat?

Oh there's a reason why the fans are there. Southbridges can get really hot, especially on high-end boards. When they reach the magical threshold they will also trigger a safety shutdown.

Was on train couldn't reply. Anyway some googling shows very little difference between the two. I would just jump on the cheaper on. Also the Gigabyte is Hazaro approved product :p

Appreciate it. I did some quick googling and found some shaky reviews for that board, mainly quality issues. So I just jumped on the ASUS - Money wasn't really the key issue outside of not wasting them on ROG PRO IV EXTREME SHARK COOL SABERTOOTH boards.

Addnan

Oh there's a reason why the fans are there. Southbridges can get really hot, especially on high-end boards. When they reach the magical threshold they will also trigger a safety shutdown.

Appreciate it. I did some quick googling and found some shaky reviews for that board, mainly quality issues. So I just jumped on the ASUS - Money wasn't really the key issue outside of not wasting them on ROG PRO IV EXTREME SHARK COOL SABERTOOTH boards.

Fair enough, seems like a solid board and has been recommended in here before. It is a fair step down from your ROG board though. You not just gonna get that exchange and plug it back in?

Sethos

Banned
Fair enough, seems like a solid board and has been recommended in here before. It is a fair step down from your ROG board though. You not just gonna get that exchange and plug it back in?

Bought my PC last year, it's out of the first year warrenty at the dealer and second year warrenty you have to prove the fault was there to begin with and I'm simply not going through the hassle of dealing directly with Asus.

Plus I didn't really use the ROGs features. Never did the firmware thing, never used any of the fancy OCing features, none of it. Pointless board for me.

I'm the guy where money really isn't the main issue. I just want a hassle-free experience. So I'm just ordering a new decent board that suits my needs, ROG gets dumped in the basement, I'm happy.

MisterNoisy

That 120mm front fan should fit in the roof of the case. On my Prodigy build (strikingly similar to yours) I went with radiator and front fans as intake and used 2x120mm fans on the roof for exhaust.

Ragus

Banned
Guys, could you give me any clue, what the fuck is happening to my PC?

Windows 7 Ultimate
GTX 770
i5-3750 3.4GHz
MSI-7752
8GB DDR3

Every week I get 3-4 BSOD's. Sometimes while playing Battlefield, sometimes when I'm browsing the web. I updated my BIOS and all drivers using Live Update 5, but those goddamn BSOD's keep on coming. It realy makes me so damn mad.

Would anyone be so kind and could look into my minidump files?

The first download contains 4 dumps before updating bios/drivers, and the second one is from 20 minutes ago.

http://www.speedyshare.com/EpRE9/crashe.rar

http://www.speedyshare.com/rMg7z/102413-4149-01.dmp

No Love

Banned
Guys, could you give me any clue, what the fuck is happening to my PC?

Windows 7 Ultimate
GTX 770
i5-3750 3.4GHz
MSI-7752
8GB DDR3

Every week I get 3-4 BSOD's. Sometimes while playing Battlefield, sometimes when I'm browsing the web. I updated my BIOS and all drivers using Live Update 5, but those goddamn BSOD's keep on coming. It realy makes me so damn mad.

Would anyone be so kind and could look into my minidump files?

The first download contains 4 dumps before updating bios/drivers, and the second one is from 20 minutes ago.

http://www.speedyshare.com/EpRE9/crashe.rar

http://www.speedyshare.com/rMg7z/102413-4149-01.dmp

I'll look at it, hold on.

Edit: Ok, two things: like Kennah said, have you run Memtest to make sure it's not faulty RAM?

And do you have all of Intel's updated drivers, like RST and general Z77 drivers installed?

Thorgal

Might be the mic. The Titan-esque cooler is supposed to be really good, especially considering it's a blower, but dual-fan coolers are generally quieter. Here's a chart I pulled from an Anandtech review:

58302.png

The (dual-fan) EVGA ACX beats the reference 780 by a pretty big margin.

Thanks

That settles it then .

EVGA 780 3GB SC ACX cooler dual fans.
evga-gtx-780-acx-12.jpg

Great choice ?

kennah

My personal opinion is - if you're going nvidia the only card worth buying is the 780. (Or a used 670/new 760)

Liking the AMD shake up though. I wonder how it will do on video rendering.

Xdrive05

Can't wait for the real next-gen games to start rolling out for PC. We should start seeing these new high end cards put to use. Hopefully soon.

Ragus

Banned
I'll look at it, hold on.

Edit: Ok, two things: like Kennah said, have you run Memtest to make sure it's not faulty RAM?

And do you have all of Intel's updated drivers, like RST and general Z77 drivers installed?

Z77 general drivers are up to date, according to Live Update 5. Few minutes ago I've installed newest RST drivers.

As to memtest, I will have to do it tomorrow, as I have no CD's next to me.

So, you think it's probable, that my RAM is faulty?

Do you guys think that the Micro Center deal on the i7 3770K for $250 will still be going on next Thursday? A coworker of mine is going to be in the Philly area and is willing to pick one up for me.

Well I guess since you can order it 3 days prior for in store pickup, it only needs to last until Monday or Tuesday?

Anton668

Do you guys think that the Micro Center deal on the i7 3770K for $250 will still be going on next Thursday? A coworker of mine is going to be in the Philly area and is willing to pick one up for me.

Well I guess since you can order it 3 days prior for in store pickup, it only needs to last until Monday or Tuesday?

not sure, on the current catalog it says prices good til 10/27 so....
October Specials - Our hottest monthly offers and more

This is the price I want but on a card that I have a little confidence in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131468

hmmm.. it is tempting...

No Love

Banned
Thanks

One other thing and i am probably starting to sound like a broken record with this but what PSU would you reccomend with this ?

500w or higher would work fine. Make sure it's a high quality one. There have been some amazing Seasonics on sale recently, check this thread + Slickdeals.

Z77 general drivers are up to date, according to Live Update 5. Few minutes ago I've installed newest RST drivers.

As to memtest, I will have to do it tomorrow, as I have no CD's next to me.

So, you think it's probable, that my RAM is faulty?

Yep. You can use a USB flash drive too, don't need a CD.

ClearData

Hi Guys

I'm picking out parts for my second PC build for next generation. I had an AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.2ghz in my first PC.

Although I don't have any complaints I'd like to go Intel this time around. My question is that a few games I see are recommending up to 8 cores. As far as I can tell most Haswell processors are up to quad core.

People have been telling me that performance-wize Intel chips perform at or better than higher core AMD so I'll have plenty of power to run Watch Dogs or whatever comes around.

Is that the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom