• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Is there any real difference in performance between the 7970 925Mhz ahd the 7970 GHz Edition? Or is the GHz Edition just an OC'd 7970 out of the box?

P.S: My PC might arrive Sunday! Can't wait!

Is there any real difference in performance between the 7970 925Mhz ahd the 7970 GHz Edition? Or is the GHz Edition just an OC'd 7970 out of the box?

Yeah, Ghz edition gives you guaranteed overclock, but if your 7970 overclocks to the same speeds you will get the same performance.

maneil99

What are the best games for testing GPU OC? I am 99% its Batman not my GPU since I can't get it to repeat but want to make sure. GPU has been stable for months, only BF3 hardlocks which were from the beta drivers and BF4 pre patch caused any issues. I've played a ton of Far Cry 3 fine and FireStrike Extreme. Don't really know about metro last light, remember alot of issues with pre OC cards. Any Ideas?

poodpick

Not sure where this should go. Is it possible to hook up a modern graphics card with all digital inputs (770 gtx) to a crt television? It's a 32 inch sony wega with component, composite, and s-video inputs I believe. With the 1.0 release of pcsx2 and my discovery of xebra I thought I would play some older games with a better framerate on a crt :)

Celcius

°Temp. member
What are the best games for testing GPU OC? I am 99% its Batman not my GPU since I can't get it to repeat but want to make sure. GPU has been stable for months, only BF3 hardlocks which were from the beta drivers and BF4 pre patch caused any issues. I've played a ton of Far Cry 3 fine and FireStrike Extreme. Don't really know about metro last light, remember alot of issues with pre OC cards. Any Ideas?

My favorite game for stress testing is BF3, but I guess you could also try Crysis 2 or 3 if you have it. Have you tried evga's oc scanner?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Since the GTX 780 Ti should basically be like the existing 780, do you think we'll see non-reference versions on day 1?

Hey guys, can you tell me if these numbers are good/reasonable for an Intel 520 120GB drive?

jHZAYyiW9vWsv.png

I was trying to compare it to http://www.anandtech.com/show/5508/intel-ssd-520-review-cherryville-brings-reliability-to-sandforce/3 but my numbers seem lower? Thanks.

maneil99

My favorite game for stress testing is BF3, but I guess you could also try Crysis 2 or 3 if you have it. Have you tried evga's oc scanner?

I have Crysis 3 which was really good in finding a good stable point, haven't tried it since modding my Bios though. What is OC scanner for?

velociraptor

So I decided to use Bootracer to test my boot up time (Windows 7 x64, i5 2500k stock, 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung F3 HDD).

I got:
282 seconds Windows Boot
26 seconds Desktop Boot

Total 308 seconds.

Abysmal! No idea why my PC boots up so slowly!

I'm going to buy an SSD and reinstall my PC, starting fresh with Windows 8.1.

Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3 with Adapter
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E391KA8/

I have found the above two SSDs. Which one should I buy?

Also, is it possible to install Windows 8 on the SSD while retaining all my data from my 1TB HDD?

kharma45

So I decided to use Bootracer to test my boot up time (Windows 7 x64, i5 2500k stock, 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung F3 HDD).

I got:
282 seconds Windows Boot
26 seconds Desktop Boot

Total 308 seconds.

Abysmal! No idea why my PC boots up so slowly!

I'm going to buy an SSD and reinstall my PC, starting fresh with Windows 8.1.

Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3 with Adapter
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E391KA8/

I have found the above two SSDs. Which one should I buy?

Also, is it possible to install Windows 8 on the SSD while retaining all my data from my 1TB HDD?

Both SSDs are good, just depends on what you want to spend. Evo is a bit faster but in day to day computing both will feel equally quick.

You should be able to yeah, not sure how mind without using Google as it's not something i have done before.

Afro

so is Fraps the best, most lightweight app to take uncompressed screenshots (for the high res screenshot thread)?

and i'm assuming i'd need the full version?

Addnan

so is Fraps the best, most lightweight app to take uncompressed screenshots (for the high res screenshot thread)?

and i'm assuming i'd need the full version?

For screenshots Fraps is great. I think the free version adds a watermark. I've had the program for so long I don't remember. edit: not sure if they add watermark to screenshots. Give it a go.

velociraptor

Both SSDs are good, just depends on what you want to spend. Evo is a bit faster but in day to day computing both will feel equally quick.

You should be able to yeah, not sure how mind without using Google as it's not something i have done before.
How would I set it up?

Omiee

hey fellow gaf,

got a question:

I currently have a 60gb ssd. I desperately want to buy an 256 gb one.

My question is: How can i make a 1 on 1 copy of my current SSD so i keep my files my bookmarks my settings etc so that i wont need to install windows again.

Also should i update my intel i5 2500k to a new version now or wait a year untill next generation intel cpu's come out?

many thanks in advance

velociraptor

Hi guys!

I'm going to visit New York in 2 weeks and I was thinking of buying some parts there.

I checked Best Buy for some price points but I would your opinion on some other places and if you think I'll have some problems bringing the parts back to sweden (customs, taxes, etc).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just got the titans under water, 25c idle 45c load! Now for a modded bios, any recommendations?

XGQFj2O.jpg

Damn son! That's some serious horsepower. But all that money... ... you need some sleeved cables and three backplates ;)

I am having a major issue. All of my games are being displayed in this strange 3d mode. The only changes that I've made recently is upgrading to windows 8.1. I know Im being very vague, and Im sorry, but does anyone have any advice for me?

Addnan

I am having a major issue. All of my games are being displayed in this strange 3d mode. The only changes that I've made recently is upgrading to windows 8.1. I know Im being very vague, and Im sorry, but does anyone have any advice for me?

Nvidia control panel, disable stereoscopic 3D. Enabled after 8.1 for some reason.

Update drivers, maybe? You're being far too ambiguous to expect more specific advice than that.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Yeah, it's an 8.1 glitch with the Nvidia control panel. Right click your desktop. Toggle the 3D settings on/off, apply, and restart. Hopefully that helps!

EDIT: Here's a link - look like this isn't a solution for everyone, but they are working on it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...bled-for/bbb1be6a-215e-4555-ad24-28c1ee3e8dda

so my benq xl2420te came in yesterday.

sigh... compared to my asus asus pa248q, its a let down. colors are verry off.

I was telling people this. Would rather 60hz over the xl2420te's color quality. Try setting it in Movie or Photo mode (i think) and then setting the contrast to 5 and see how you like it then. Was around those settings, and messing with a few other things that I could get it to look the best, but still had shit black levels.

Yeah, it's an 8.1 glitch with the Nvidia control panel. Right click your desktop. Toggle the 3D settings on/off, apply, and restart. Hopefully that helps!

EDIT: Here's a link - look like this isn't a solution for everyone, but they are working on it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...bled-for/bbb1be6a-215e-4555-ad24-28c1ee3e8dda

Nvidia control panel, disable stereoscopic 3D. Enabled after 8.1 for some reason.

You guys are like detectives, I love it! Thanks so much, PC gaf always comes through for me

kakashi08

Someone please HELP.
I get this on my screen whenever I play COD, like after 15-20 mins of gameplay this pops up, every time in the same spot. and It only does it for COD, not for battlefield or any other game. Only for COD. Whyyyyyyy? lol

This stays even after I close up COD, it remains on the screen. I'm running 7970CF.
That's just the wallpaper for "last of us" (best game ever)
codpixels.jpg

Someone please HELP.
I get this on my screen whenever I play COD, like after 15-20 mins of gameplay this pops up, every time in the same spot. and It only does it for COD, not for battlefield or any other game. Only for COD. Whyyyyyyy? lol

This stays even after I close up COD, it remains on the screen. I'm running 7970CF.
That's just the wallpaper for "last of us" (best game ever)

I might be completely wrong, but it looks like the problem might be the screen. GPU artifacts don't usually appear on the same spot

Can anybody hazard a guess as to why a monitor goes to sleep right before the Windows 7 welcome screen appears? It literally turns off after Windows 7 finishes loading but before the welcome screen appears, after a second the monitor turns back on.

LordAlu

Can anybody hazard a guess as to why a monitor goes to sleep right before the Windows 7 welcome screen appears? It literally turns off after Windows 7 finishes loading but before the welcome screen appears, after a second the monitor turns back on.
Could be switching resolution from the one used during bootup to the one you have Windows set to?

Ieu

That's weird, an iPad has higher resolution than that. I can't be the only one who doesn't like enormous monitors / likes high pixel density.

When making the panels for a monitor there is always a possibility that there will be a defect such as a stuck pixel. Nobody wants to buy a screen which has defects so those panels are either cut down to size (if possible) or binned.

The issue is that as you increase the size of a panel or increase the pixel density the probability it having a fault increases exponentially. More faults = more wasted panels = higher cost to manufacture.

Then there's also the bandwidth to drive that screen. A 9.7 inch 264 PPI screen such as the iPad needs at least 6 Gbps of bandwidth to feed the screen (assuming a 59Hz refresh rate and 32 bpp). No biggie really.

A 24 inch screen however would have a resolution of around 5735 x 3226 at the same pixel density and would require at least 35 Gbps to drive it! It's worth pointing out that a standard 4K Ultra HD display has half as many pixels and so only needs half that bandwidth however DP and HDMI still needed upgrades just to cope with ONE!

Then there's also the fact that there is currently NOTHING on the market powerful enough to render a game at that resolution. You are essentially talking about rendering the equivalent of two 4K monitors which at that combined resolution even if your card doesn't run out of power the VRAM almost certainly will!

Sure you could SLI GTX 780s or Crossfire R9 290Xs for the raw horsepower but remember that the total VRAM available is not pooled together but instead limited to the lowest individual card as each one is rendering a full frame independently of the rest.

To cut to the chase; while manufacturing a 'retina' 24 inch screen is technically possible it would be far more expensive than anyone would be prepared to pay for and even then there's no way to provide enough data to drive that screen unless you ran 2 DisplayPort cables running in concert. Finally there isn't any hardware you can buy that could generate those images in the first place.

(Sorry about all that, I got a bit giddy when I started running the numbers!)

Hente

Another 4GB sounds reasonable considering you're running single channel.
Get more fans. Two are good, three are better, after that it's diminishing returns.
You couldn't OC a 3570K on this motherboard, so either replace that as well, or get a non-K model.
WD Blue 1TB + 128GB/256GB 840 EVO or Sandisk Ultra should do nicely.
A 560Ti will have a hard time playing a lot of modern games on high settings at 1440p.

Thanks for the advice to anyone that's given me any.
For the fans, I'm probably just going to stop at one front intake and either a top exhaust or bottom intake, can anyone give me some advice for this? Final config is going to end up as rear exhaust, front intake and either bottom intake or top exhaust. I can get another front intake to replace bottom or top fans, but I don't know if that will help much.
I figured as much for the 560ti, just wanna get the 1440p just in case I choose to upgrade the gpu in a couple of years. I don't mind playing at 1080 on a 1440 screen if it doesn't look too bad.

Dex815

I'm thinking in upgrading my GPU until I buy a whole new rig in 2014 Q1 or Q2 (I don't want to expend 1800€ right before Christmas).

My current rig:

AMD 965 @3,4GHz
8GB RAM
Gigabyte GTX 470 Super OC 1280MB

I love the WindForce x3 from Gigabyte so I though of repeating and buy Gigabyte's OC edition of the 770 or maybe 780. Do you think the CPU and RAM will create a bottleneck to run the games from the incoming months? (would be just until the first months of next year when I buy the whole new rig).

Also what do you think about the GPU? 470? 480? Wait some weeks for the 780Ti? I don't really look for the last of the last, but that GPU will be the one that I will carry for the new rig (so, it will be for the next 2-3 years).

Musician

Here's a nut for you all to crack!

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU. I currently have a GTX680 2GB. It's worth noting that I've gotten into the wonderful world of downsampling.

Should I -

1. Buy another 680 and upgrade my PSU (currently running a bronze 650w powering 2ssd's, 1 hdd, OC'd 2700k and OC'd 680)

2. Sell the 680 and get one of them fancy new cards like 780ti or r9 290x (which should be a beast at downsampling since it apparently eats high resolutions for breakfast, right?).

3. Quit my gaming habit, sell all of my gear and live out the rest of my days as a Buddhist monk.

Please crack my nut.

bigace33

Ok guys, I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now. I have an older model computer. I'm wondering should I go ahead and build a better comp, or would it be worth it to slap a 760ti in this old rig. Current specs:

AMD Phenom II X4
945 processor
3.00 GHz
8.00 GB Ram
560ti GPU
600 watt PSU
2 TB HDD

Would I get much better performance from this rig by adding a 760ti or is it not worth it with my specs being so low? How bad would my rig hold back that card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom