• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

I have another question:

My PC currently runs a heatsink(hyper 212 evo, 2500k...4.4ghz OC at 30c). I am building a new PC and planning to sell the current one I have. I have made the decision to go with the i7 4770k(and yes, I am OC the processor to the max), and I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Cooler Master Hyper 101i or should I just step into the water cooling arena and go with the CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i High Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler?

The heat problems with Haswell mean that unless you are going to delid the processor you'll only see minor improvements (if any at all) from anything beyond the hyper 212 and H60/80.

Go with he Hydro series. They're nice and quiet and look great in a case too.

Couple questions. When connecting system fan they are 3 pins while mobo has 4...do you just connect and leave one empty pin? Next. For connecting stuff like power and reset switches how do you tell which is positive and negative. Some are labeled some aren't.

kennah

Couple questions. When connecting system fan they are 3 pins while mobo has 4...do you just connect and leave one empty pin? Next. For connecting stuff like power and reset switches how do you tell which is positive and negative. Some are labeled some aren't.

Yep, just leave an empty pin.

And ones that aren't labelled don't matter because all the switch does is close the loop.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
If the warranty is the same. The AX760 is a steal.

Unfortunately it's only one year:

Refurbished or Factory Reconditioned Products

Corsair offers a 30-day, replacement-only warranty for refurbished or factory reconditioned Memory, SSD and USB parts.
Corsair offers a 90-day, replacement-only warranty for refurbished or factory reconditioned Audio and Gaming Peripheral units.
Corsair offers a 1 year, replacement-only warranty for refurbished or factory reconditioned PSUs, Cases and Cooling units.

http://www.corsair.com/us/support/warranty/

maneil99

So my GPU has been rock solid so far with its OC on a modded bios. 3 months no issues really. A few BF3 Hardlocks but those seem to have been driver related. Anyways, Batman Arkham origins randomly downclocked me while in game from 1254/6600 to 575/6010

Now my modded bios removes Power limits and GPU Boost so its not that. Even other games did the same, had to reboot to fix this. Changing clocks in EVGA PX didn't help either. Nothing in the event log aswell....

bump since it was 2 am when I posted

Azulsky

So based on the reviews of the 290x, it looks like its the same as a 780 when both are OC'ed

Hopefully it will make Nvidia drop the price of the 780 to match.

kennah

You will probably find it hard to find much help here since I can't imagine many messing about with modded bios.

That and I think people are a bit reluctant to try to help after the whole '3570K is dying thing'. maneil is on a whole other plane of existence when it comes to computers :)

No Love

Banned
So my GPU has been rock solid so far with its OC on a modded bios. 3 months no issues really. A few BF3 Hardlocks but those seem to have been driver related. Anyways, Batman Arkham origins randomly downclocked me while in game from 1254/6600 to 575/6010

Now my modded bios removes Power limits and GPU Boost so its not that. Even other games did the same, had to reboot to fix this. Changing clocks in EVGA PX didn't help either. Nothing in the event log aswell....

That and I think people are a bit reluctant to try to help after the whole '3570K is dying thing'. maneil is on a whole other plane of existence when it comes to computers :)

Maneil is in luck, as I have BIOS modded quite a few cards, including Kepler cards.

Maneil, I ran into the exact same issue with my 780's just 2 days ago. OC was locked down to low power 3D state even at full load, on both cards.

Here's the solution: Uninstall and reinstall EVGA PrecisionX, and upgrade it if you don't have the latest version. Reset all your OC's and voltage.

This should clear up the issue. PrecisionX seems to have a temporary issue with modded BIOSes, and it seemed to manifest after I modded the vBIOS and it got mixed up with what clocks should be applied. After doing the above, my 780's went back to full OC @ 1.2 Ghz, no more getitng hung up at low power 3D clocks (5xx mhz).

Redx508

ok so i got 8.1 But iam getting the secure boot isn't configured correctly on the desktop
but it looks like my XFX 7870 does not have a uefi bios on it so i can't enable secure boot on my Z77A-GD65 Any help on updating my card

maneil99

Maneil is in luck, as I have BIOS modded quite a few cards, including Kepler cards.

Maneil, I ran into the exact same issue with my 780's just 2 days ago. OC was locked down to low power 3D state even at full load, on both cards.

Here's the solution: Uninstall and reinstall EVGA PrecisionX, and upgrade it if you don't have the latest version. Reset all your OC's and voltage.

This should clear up the issue. PrecisionX seems to have a temporary issue with modded BIOSes, and it seemed to manifest after I modded the vBIOS and it got mixed up with what clocks should be applied. After doing the above, my 780's went back to full OC @ 1.2 Ghz, no more getitng hung up at low power 3D clocks (5xx mhz).

Thanks will do. Seems like batman is weird. GPU is rock solid OCed, turned off vsync, game crashed with a driver error in event log right away. This normally happens if a GPU isn't stable but I have tested this gpu ALOT. Anyways, rebooted and it works fine now. Guess its a game issue?

No Love

Banned
Thanks will do. Seems like batman is weird. GPU is rock solid OCed, turned off vsync, game crashed with a driver error in event log right away. This normally happens if a GPU isn't stable but I have tested this gpu ALOT. Anyways, rebooted and it works fine now. Guess its a game issue?

Game was doing the same thing to me whenever I'd change any setting. It'd just freeze the whole system.

Raised voltage on CPU + GPU, problem went away. Check your CPU vcore first.

505zoom

I'm about to order stuff for my first build, and was hoping you fine folks would take a gander at my list and let me know if anything looks bad (and I should feel bad).

Going to use this in the living room, where I have a 32" 1080p Samsung and a 65" 1080i Mitsubishi. Mainly will be using it for streaming from the WiiU/GC/N64, but would like it to run games decently as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.99 @ Mac Mall)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
Total: $980.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-25 16:57 EDT-0400)

I'm about to order stuff for my first build, and was hoping you fine folks would take a gander at my list and let me know if anything looks bad (and I should feel bad).

Going to use this in the living room, where I have a 32" 1080p Samsung and a 65" 1080i Mitsubishi. Mainly will be using it for streaming from the WiiU/GC/N64, but would like it to run games decently as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.99 @ Mac Mall)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
Total: $980.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-25 16:57 EDT-0400)

I'd recommend you get low-profile ram modules. Those Patriots look like they jut upwards quite a bit, which could cause CPU Cooler clearance issues.

maneil99

Game was doing the same thing to me whenever I'd change any setting. It'd just freeze the whole system.

Raised voltage on CPU + GPU, problem went away. Check your CPU vcore first.

Yea mine just instantly crashed to desktop and I'd have a driver crashed error in the windows event log. CPU vcore didn't help. Did you get driver crashes or just hardlocks?

505zoom

I'd recommend you get low-profile ram modules. Those Patriots look like they jut upwards quite a bit, which could cause CPU Cooler clearance issues.

Phew good catch there, I didn't even notice the extra bit there on those... I had some Mushkin sticks on the list for 89 bucks, but they went unavailable right before I posted so I swapped over to the Patriot's without really looking.

Thanks bud.

Addnan

Is there a software to stress cpu to test? What should temps be while idle/stressed?
Prime95 is the go to CPU stress test. Just run a normal blend test. Idle is not so important under load it is safe into the 90s. Although with the hyper 212 at stock speeds with Haswell(?) it shouldn't go close to that.

Is there a software to stress cpu to test? What should temps be while idle/stressed?

Prime95 is great stress-test software that many people use for overclocking.

If you CPU is under 60C at load, you're right as rain. Some CPUs are fine at higher temps, but 60 is a good, generic temperature to aim for. Your idle temperature doesn't matter much as long as it isn't much over 60. My CPU, for example, idles at 60C, but is steady as 50C when my fans and pump kicks in at load.

Ok trying to install windows. I see my drives but it won't format any of them. Also there are 2 broke pins on one of the usb 3 connectors on the mobo. Should I rma it?

Redx508

Anyone with the same thing

ok so i got 8.1 But iam getting the secure boot isn't configured correctly on the desktop
but it looks like my XFX 7870 does not have a uefi bios on it so i can't enable secure boot on my Z77A-GD65 Any help on updating my card

hey brothers, this thead helped me to build a great PC back in 2011 and now i'm looking into building another one but basically for my TV..... so i suppose like what steambox is supposed to be.

i was looking around and saw the alienware x51. i did a bit of research on it and it technically is what i'm looking for but i figured i'd see if there is a way to build something similar myself. as i said earlier this will strictly be used on my 1080p plasma TV.... so i won't be running anything over 1080p. price is technically a factor (i don't feel like spending $900 on the alienware version) but i COULD afford that if i felt it was an amazing PC.

anyone have any experience with building a "console" PC that can provide some guidance? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom