• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Had you left the windows drive in when you installed chimera? Sounds like it changed the boot sector on the other drive. What might even be happening is that it is booting mac os from that hard drive even though the files are stored on the other one.

I'd research hackintosh multiboot techniques to see if you can invent a way to fix it but you might need to reload (and you should always remove hard drives when setting these kinds of things up)

xJavonta

Banned
Had you left the windows drive in when you installed chimera? Sounds like it changed the boot sector on the other drive. What might even be happening is that it is booting mac os from that hard drive even though the files are stored on the other one.

I'd research hackintosh multiboot techniques to see if you can invent a way to fix it but you might need to reload (and you should always remove hard drives when setting these kinds of things up)

Yeah I left it in. Hopefully that didn't screw anything up :/

I read before installing that I was supposed to make my OS X drive the primary drive the PC boots from and just select the OS I want to boot from Chimera's start screen. When I do Windows from that it gives me an error...

I wonder if startup repair will fix it. Guess I have to re-download Windows 8.

(the DreamSpark servers are so slow)

sfried

Huzzah! I now have this as my graphics card courtesy of dante81.

So an update on specs:

-AMD FX 4350 Black Edition 4.2GHz Quad-Core Socket AM3+ Boxed Processor
-Antec VSK-3000E MicroATX Case (Cannot exceed this size.)
-Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ mATX 760G AMD Motherboard
*XFX Core Edition FX-787A-CNFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB purchased from dante81 - $125.00
-CX Series CX500M 500 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply
-Toshiba 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive DT01ACA100 - Bare Drive
*G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR - $65
-24x Super Multi Internal SATA DVDRW DL Drive - Bare Drive (If you guys can find a Int BluRay drive for the same price, I'll take that.)
*S19B150N 18.5" LED Monitor - $88 (Though not really part of the budget, so you can count it out.)

(The * indicates items I have already purchased and aquired.)

Goal: $500 maximum spendning budget. ($100 leeway for tax/parts that cost extra until rebates)
Spent so far: $190 ($283 w/ monitor+ applicable tax)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

So an update on specs:

*XFX Core Edition FX-787A-CNFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB purchased from dante81 - $125.00
-Toshiba 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive DT01ACA100 - Bare Drive
*G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR - $65
-24x Super Multi Internal SATA DVDRW DL Drive - Bare Drive (If you guys can find a Int BluRay drive for the same price, I'll take that.)
*S19B150N 18.5" LED Monitor - $88 (Though not really part of the budget, so you can count it out.)

Goal: $500 maximum spendning budget. ($100 leeway for tax/parts that cost extra until rebates)
It's not Modular, but you can let me know how this is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012

Hente

Not really a "I need a new PC" question, but In what order would it be best to upgrade?
Was thinking of doing this: another 4 GB & getting some more case fans (only have one, which is a back exhaust) -> used 3570k -> SSD & 1 TB hard drive -> better monitors to replace TV and old monitor, probably one of those cheap 1440p monitors.

i7NT3Rp.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So I guess EKWB announced their R9 290X Water Block, and I have a question. If I buy this, what else would I need to set up my 290x with liquid cooling? With the card running at 95c, it seems like a good idea.

Completely from scratch?

Reservoir
Pump with a top (the top converts the pump to be usable with tubing)
Radiators (at least 2x 120mm)
tubing and fittings

Probably looking at about $250-$350 + the block and a decent time investment. More if you want to cool the CPU, too. I did my first water build this summer; definitely quite a bit more difficult than air, and WAY more worrisome at first. But still totally doable and definitely worth it!

Completely from scratch?

Reservoir
Pump with a top (the top converts the pump to be usable with tubing)
Radiators (at least 2x 120mm)
tubing and fittings

Probably looking at about $250-$350 + the block and a decent time investment. More if you want to cool the CPU, too. I did my first water build this summer; definitely quite a bit more difficult than air, and WAY more worrisome at first. But still totally doable and definitely worth it!

Oh wow. Definitely something I'm going to do, but maybe I'll save for a while first.

Jzero

Not really a "I need a new PC" question, but In what order would it be best to upgrade?
Was thinking of doing this: another 4 GB & getting some more case fans (only have one, which is a back exhaust) -> used 3570k -> SSD & 1 TB hard drive -> better monitors to replace TV and old monitor, probably one of those cheap 1440p monitors.

Since you're not replacing the motherboard any order should be good. I would personally buy stuff that is on sale first.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

i7NT3Rp.jpg
I'd add 4GB, a side or front intake (Not really needed though), put in a quad core CPU (2500K is fine too), 1TB, SSD, Monitor.

So who can diagnose this problem

Just had a similar freeze pop up on me

forgot my specs

Cpu: Intel i5 3570k stock
Gpu: Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Memory: GSkill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB SSD
Psu: Corsair HX750 750 Watt

Sanctuary

So I just assembled my PC, and it's the first time I've used an SSD. Talk about being astonished.

So who can diagnose this problem

Just had a similar freeze pop up on me

forgot my specs

Cpu: Intel i5 3570k stock
Gpu: Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Memory: GSkill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB SSD
Psu: Corsair HX750 750 Watt

Overheating or dying card. My screen looked very similar when a card died on me in 2005.
Driver or cable issue.

LordAlu

I think I have 10 characters left in the OP to work with, what the hell do I edit to include 290X stuff :(
You could change areas of heavy text to images since it needs less characters for the image tag stuff? It's amazing how much it frees up. Or even remove some images, like the little icons before the shops etc.

jbpaz

What does it mean to not have it be modular?

Modular means all the PSU cables are removable and you can connect the cables you need rather than having all the cables connected to the PSU (unremovable). Advantages to a modular PSU is that it looks cleaner and improves air flow in your case since you'll have less cables running throughout your case.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I need a new hard drive. I don't want to reinstall Windows if possible (since I'm scared the product key won't work since I used it a bunch, albeit legitimately. I bought Windows 7.)

So I'm looking at either an SSD or a Hybrid SSD / Hard drive. Since it'll be used for a while as just storage, I'm thinking going the hybrid route. Problem is I can only find 2.5" ones which are for laptops.

I'm looking to spend under $100 Canadian for about 500 GB (or more).

This is what I was looking at, but it's for laptops?
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=80985&promoid=1145

EDIT: Oh hey, this looks like what I need.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=89407&vpn=ST1000DX001&manufacture=Others&promoid=1145

I don't need anything else, right? Just stick it in my bay and connect the cables? Or would I need to buy something to install it..

Just buy the 2.5" drive and use an adapter, I've got two 2.5" drives in my tower.

Knch

Amazon.fr doesn't seem to have all that much to choose from, found a few things there. Where else would you look for components in Belgium? I'll try and get a shortlist of options.

tweakers.nl has a pricewatch section, where you can select you want delivery to Belgium. (Afuture.nl usually has good prices, low delivery cost, Azerty.nl is also good, but (way) higher delivery cost, ...)

tones.be is the only local store I can remember (have never used it though)
amazon.de, amazon.co.uk are also options.

maneil99

So my GPU has been rock solid so far with its OC on a modded bios. 3 months no issues really. A few BF3 Hardlocks but those seem to have been driver related. Anyways, Batman Arkham origins randomly downclocked me while in game from 1254/6600 to 575/6010

Now my modded bios removes Power limits and GPU Boost so its not that. Even other games did the same, had to reboot to fix this. Changing clocks in EVGA PX didn't help either. Nothing in the event log aswell....

i7NT3Rp.jpg
Another 4GB sounds reasonable considering you're running single channel.

Get more fans. Two are good, three are better, after that it's diminishing returns.

You couldn't OC a 3570K on this motherboard, so either replace that as well, or get a non-K model.

WD Blue 1TB + 128GB/256GB 840 EVO or Sandisk Ultra should do nicely.

A 560Ti will have a hard time playing a lot of modern games on high settings at 1440p.

kharma45

Not sure how it works on Windows, but on Linux (and MAC, I think) there is a libblurary which is made by the VideoLAN people. The players I use use that.

https://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html

(Although, usually I just rip the Blurays and watch the mkvs.)

It only works with un-encrypted BRs.

So an update on specs:

Do not get an AMD FX 43xx CPU. Corsair CX PSUs are poor too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($117.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.47 @ Mwave)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $326.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-25 06:47 EDT-0400)

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I think I have 10 characters left in the OP to work with, what the hell do I edit to include 290X stuff :(

Well, I did notice something rather minor that can save a couple of characters, and also needs updating I think. This part right here, you could wrap the image and the text into the same url. That would effectively save you like... 10 more characters! More importantly though, you should upgrade the image (since it's now GPU 2013/2012 instead of 2012/2011) and making the link point to the '13 benchmarks instead of the '12 that it is currently pointing to:
PICKING YOUR PARTS
Vnp7oxv.png

Anandtech's 'Bench' CPU and GPU Benchmarks - A great resource. Helpful for getting a general idea of performance or comparing hardware.

Since I'm already halfway there I just couldn't help myself, ready for copy and paste:
PICKING YOUR PARTS
Vnp7oxv.png

Anandtech's 'Bench' CPU and GPU Benchmarks
- A great resource. Helpful for getting a general idea of performance or comparing hardware.

Edit: and while I'm at it, you might as well also wrap the SFF/PC Build Sheet under the Neogaf PC Builds parts into one instead of having the same links 3 times in a row.

Couple questions on hypercooler 212 installation.instructions suck. Bracket installation says not to peal protection film. Wtf is that don't see that. Also comes with these 4 little rubber sticky things. Where do those go? Watched some install videos but never saw that.

Edit: think I see where those rubber things go. Over the screws on a 2nd fan

Sethos

Banned
Got my new motherboard and of course there's problems. Luckily not hardware related as such however under the new installation of Windows I had to do, the mouse is EXTREMELY sluggish on the second monitor now =/ Like it gets stuck for just a few milliseconds.

Ingram

Planning on building a new box in March for Titanfall. Currently using a laptop for games which has a decent gfx and gets me by quite well for now. Found a good deal on a G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and I'm tempted to grab it now for use with my laptop and later on my new box.

Seems to be a solid choice for gaming?

Schlocky

hello gaf! I currently have an i5 2500k, a 560ti and 12GB ram I bought a couple of years ago, and am noticing with new batman and things its starting to show its age a little, especially all the fancy pants physX shit flying around in that game.

I'm willing to throw a couple of hundred pounds at a new GPU, but I'm wondering if the i5 is going to be a bottle neck and need upgrading as well?

I want things to run nicely at 1080p, nothing much fancier than that! Thanks!

Anton668

Planning on building a new box in March for Titanfall. Currently using a laptop for games which has a decent gfx and gets me by quite well for now. Found a good deal on a G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and I'm tempted to grab it now for use with my laptop and later on my new box.

Seems to be a solid choice for gaming?

I had a G19 before and I liked it. never had one of those though.......
you could ask in here.. Lez talk mechanical keyboards

kharma45

hello gaf! I currently have an i5 2500k, a 560ti and 12GB ram I bought a couple of years ago, and am noticing with new batman and things its starting to show its age a little, especially all the fancy pants physX shit flying around in that game.

I'm willing to throw a couple of hundred pounds at a new GPU, but I'm wondering if the i5 is going to be a bottle neck and need upgrading as well?

Overclock your i5 and it'll be fine, talking £25 or so for a cooler if you don't have one.

GPU wise you could look to the 7970, 680 and 770.

Anton668

is your 2500K overclocked? if not, overclock that puppy!

Overclock the i5 if you can, but you should still upgrade the GPU anyways.

What do you guys think are the odds that, by January or February, Nvidia comes out with something or adjusts price points to compete with the R290's hitting the field with 3rd party cooling systems?

That's about when I'm planning to build, but I'd hate to do it just before a price war hits full swing.

Smokey

What do you guys think are the odds that, by January or February, Nvidia comes out with something or adjusts price points to compete with the R290's hitting the field with 3rd party cooling systems?

That's about when I'm planning to build, but I'd hate to do it just before a price war hits full swing.

Mid November the 780ti will be available. Possibly a new TITAN down the road, but that's just speculation.

U imagine they'll have to do something with the prices. Nvidia stubborn though so who knows.

I have not yet received my case but does it come with screws to mount hdd? The ssd came with screws but the bare western digital did not and I have no screws for it.

man/man

Banned
No as backwards compatibility matters to me. SteamOS is too limiting and I don't want to be tied in to one platform.

True.

I think my intention is to have a high-powered Windows server for non-Linux compatible games and then stream those from a modest HTPC type thing to my TV. Should be grand.

Josh378

I have another question:

My PC currently runs a heatsink(hyper 212 evo, 2500k...4.4ghz OC at 30c). I am building a new PC and planning to sell the current one I have. I have made the decision to go with the i7 4770k(and yes, I am OC the processor to the max), and I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Cooler Master Hyper 101i or should I just step into the water cooling arena and go with the CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i High Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom