• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
AIDA64 just crashed on me during the stress test for the first time after an hour running my 3570K at 4.2. I use the stock OC settings from my Asus z77 Sabertooth. I've run Prime95 for 24 hours and never had a problem before. Thoughts?

Groof

Okay guys, one of my chassi fans seems to be on the fritz as it started to buzz like a mechanical screwdriver. I think it's the top most one (Fractal Design R3) and I was thinking of replacing it.
Earlier I was suggested to get Noiseblocker NB-Multiframes, however the only Noiseblocker fans in stock at nearby stores (I'd rather exchange it ASAP) are these: NoiseBlocker NB-ELoop B12-3. Are these in a similar category?

Thanks!

Anyone with experience with Micro Center in store pick up, the FAQ says you have 3 calendar days to pick up your reservation. Just to clarify, does that mean if I order first thing Tuesday morning, I will have all day Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to pick it up?

bro1

Banned
Anyone with experience with Micro Center in store pick up, the FAQ says you have 3 calendar days to pick up your reservation. Just to clarify, does that mean if I order first thing Tuesday morning, I will have all day Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to pick it up?

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work. I know the MC that I used to live near was super cool. Just give them a call if you are running late.

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work. I know the MC that I used to live near was super cool. Just give them a call if you are running late.

Thanks. It's a little tricky for me. The Micro Center is 2 hours 45 min away but a co-worker is going to be there Thursday for an appointment and offered to pick it up, which is the only reason that the deal is viable. I'd like to order as soon as possible because I fear that the price is on the verge of jumping up $60 based on their latest catalog.

Seanspeed

Banned
AIDA64 just crashed on me during the stress test for the first time after an hour running my 3570K at 4.2. I use the stock OC settings from my Asus z77 Sabertooth. I've run Prime95 for 24 hours and never had a problem before. Thoughts?
Running too high voltage and overheating, maybe? Motherboard 'stock overclocks' are supposedly not terribly reliable settings to use. It might be better to manually overclock and find a lower voltage setting.

JustinBB7

I'm getting a SSD drive tomorrow. So right now I'm messing around with my hard drives and backing up stuff (just to be safe).

Problem is my Steam folder was huge (around 750GB or so) so I'm deleting games like crazy, but it's still too big.

Now Steam is on C: of course. and I have an E: partition on the same drive. After I install windows on my new SSD. What's the best way to keep my Steam folder and merge my old C: and E: together so I can just use Steam mover? I don't have enough space to move my Steam folder to E: currently.

I will need to uninstall windows from my C: and merge it with E:, while keeping my Steam folder. Any tips?

So I've got this build lined up so far

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($78.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.99 @ Mac Mall)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 47.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($8.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($47.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1094.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-28 11:37 EDT-0400)

I'm thinking I might upgrade to a GTX 770 though in light of the price cuts (and since the 760 didnt get one :/ ). I just wanna be sure the extra $100 is worth it though. Are the benchmark differences in here based on stock? And if so, could I get similar performance on the 760 via OC? I'll be doing most of my gaming at 1080p, btw.

kharma45

So I've got this build lined up so far

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($78.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.99 @ Mac Mall)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1094.33
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-28 11:37 EDT-0400)

I'm thinking I might upgrade to a GTX 770 though in light of the price cuts (and since the 760 didnt get one :/ ). I just wanna be sure the extra $100 is worth it though. Are the benchmark differences in here based on stock? And if so, could I get similar performance on the 760 via OC? I'll be doing most of my gaming at 1080p, btw.

They're at stock yes. 760 will, if you don't get unlucky in the silicon lottery, OC to stock 770 levels.

A few things to change here

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR - Use promo code EMCYTZT4725 ($59.49)
Total: $956.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-28 11:54 EDT-0400)

This brings you in under $1K. Changes are the 212 Plus is cheaper and performs practically the same. Cheaper RAM. Cheaper PSU, still quality though (the 750w version is the same price as the Antec btw, if you ever wanted to have the extra headroom for SLI) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

You can also save $20 with this SSD over the Evo http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - Benchmark of the speed difference http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/758?vs=966 If it were me I'd save the $20, the V300 is still a fast drive.

IMACOMPUTA

How much do ultra GPUs like the 290x come down in price? Do they ever go down to the $200-300 range?

I'm asking because I doubt I'll be able to put another $600 into a GPU to crossfire them down the road.

riflen

How much do ultra GPUs like the 290x come down in price? Do they ever go down to the $200-300 range?

I'm asking because I doubt I'll be able to put another $600 into a GPU to crossfire them down the road.

They probably will eventually. You can pay that today for a new 3GB GTX580. Of course, spending that today on a 3-year-old card is kind of bonkers so....

kennah

We have no way of knowing.

Idle temps don't really matter. But here is a list of some factors which could cause this.

Dust in the fan
Higher ambient temperature
Wear and tear on the fan
Wear and tear on the chip itself
GPU using malware
Obstructed airflow on the case itself

They're at stock yes. 760 will, if you don't get unlucky in the silicon lottery, OC to stock 770 levels.

A few things to change here

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR - Use promo code EMCYTZT4725 ($59.49)
Total: $956.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-28 11:54 EDT-0400)

This brings you in under $1K. Changes are the 212 Plus is cheaper and performs practically the same. Cheaper RAM. Cheaper PSU, still quality though (the 750w version is the same price as the Antec btw, if you ever wanted to have the extra headroom for SLI) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

You can also save $20 with this SSD over the Evo http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - Benchmark of the speed difference http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/758?vs=966 If it were me I'd save the $20, the V300 is still a fast drive.

Thanks. I split the difference, went with the cheaper PSU and RAM and found it actually for a dollar less with a combo with the GPU on newegg (man has RAM gone up in the last month. That fab fire must have done a lot more damage than they let on). Kept the SSD on the samsung, and I figured the $5 on the cooler was small enough to not really matter much.

I notice the deal on the PSU closes out at the end of the month though. Should I jump on that now? I was honestly waiting til BF/CM to pull the trigger, but if this is as low as something like that is gonna get I'll go ahead and get it now.

Yes and then some.

DO IT

Fuck, it's definitely eating me up inside

Pros: Pretty much, I wouldn't have to think about not running games at Ultra settings. There's no game I really want from the new consoles right now. A lot of games are 30fps or even 720p on the newer consoles, especially the xbox one.
Cons: $1400. What if the 800 series is that much better? SLI hiccups and issues. What if I can't find the new consoles or afford them when an exclusive does come out for them?

Addnan

Fuck, it's definitely eating me up inside

Pros: Pretty much, I wouldn't have to think about not running games at Ultra settings. There's no game I really want from the new consoles right now. A lot of games are 30fps or even 720p on the newer consoles, especially the xbox one.
Cons: $1400. What if the 800 series is that much better? SLI hiccups and issues. What if I can't find the new consoles or afford them when an exclusive does come out for them?

I'm gonna answer a few.

Card always get better, that's just how computers progress. There is no wrong/right time to buy.

SLI. Mutli card setups are a lot better now. We always say only go multi when 1 of the best card is not enough, well this is it.

Why would you not be able to find the console? Outside of launch month the thing will be available everywhere. Afford is another matter that I can't answer though!

zeroOman

here is the build I am going for:
Main Use: gaming and General Use and a little Video Editing

ps: inter are very expensive here that why I chose amd it's cheaper

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1UgBO
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1UgBO/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1UgBO/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($112.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($93.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 500GB 2.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $566.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-28 13:26 EDT-0400)

I'm gonna answer a few.

Card always get better, that's just how computers progress. There is no wrong/right time to buy.

SLI. Mutli card setups are a lot better now. We always say only go multi when 1 of the best card is not enough, well this is it.

Why would you not be able to find the console? Outside of launch month the thing will be available everywhere. Afford is another matter that I can't answer though!

I know they get better. I have a sickness when it comes to gpus. I don't mind waiting on the cpus, but the gpus have given me the upgrade sickness at least once a year. I've held out this year so far... I agree with you on SLI. I remember not being able to find a Wii and a 360 for 6 months to a year. I wasn't as diligent as some people, but I wanted to be able to just walk into a store and pick them up. The affordability thing relates to me moving to California in the not too distant future and the higher cost of living.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well thank you guys for the help. I solved the PC's wake from sleep problems. The power supply was the culprit. I replaced it and no more issues.

question about factory oc models. like what is the $40 extra getting you that you can't do yourself?

looking at say, evga, i think they all use the same acx fans.

Addnan

question about factory oc models. like what is the $40 extra getting you that you can't do yourself?

looking at say, evga, i think they all use the same acx fans.

You get higher clocks that stock versions can't promise, but will probably reach. There is no promise though. Some cards refuse to go above the speeds they ship at. If you go with Gigabyte or Asus they just come factory overclocked as per standard. There is no superclocked version of theirs.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Guys I am going to be gaming on 1080p only for quite a while. I was leaning towards 290x, especially seeing the price and performance, but now I wonder if I should get a 780 only and overclock it if the need be. After seeing the heat, power usage issues (and the fact that 290x cant be overclocked much while an overclocked 780 beats it at 1080p) and the price drop, I am confused again! I just want a fast card with decent amount of future-proofing at 1080p. 780ti seems very expensive so I wont get that. It all is so confusing. Every card has its own advantages and disadvantages.
What to do??

Guys I am going to be gaming on 1080p only for quite a while. I was leaning towards 290x, especially seeing the price and performance, but now I wonder if I should get a 780 only and overclock it if the need be. After seeing the heat, power usage issues (and the fact that 290x cant be overclocked much while an overclocked 780 beats it at 1080p) and the price drop, I am confused again! I just want a fast card with decent amount of future-proofing at 1080p. 780ti seems very expensive so I wont get that. It all is so confusing. Every card has its own advantages and disadvantages.
What to do??

Depends on your timeline. The 290x has plenty of room to grow since the fans are hard coded to run at 40%. Once Asus, Saphire, and the rest start coming out with their models with bigger heatsinks and multiple fans the 290x will really come into its own.

I don't know when that'll happen. I heard some people say January, but that seems late. I don't know why it would take that long.

Hey people, I'm looking to build a new PC, but I'm very inexperienced with anything PC tech related. My current PC (1GB RAM, Windows XP, more terrible specs, etc.), after 5-6 years of service, has been getting real slow. I already have long given up on playing games on it, but recently it has been tough to do proper work on it too. So, I want to build a new PC, and I was hoping you could help me with that.

I've never bought a (pre-built) PC before, and I've never replaced components in a PC, so building one from scratch is a really overwhelming task from where I'm sitting. I have a lot to educate myself on, but I'm willing to learn. I'm reading through the OP and other sites to collect a few resources to help me build a PC, and I have a few questions about these:

1. Are there any good pc component comparison site for people for the Netherlands? pcpartpicker seems really useful, but you can't set it to pick the best prices in the Netherlands (the closest it can do is Germany).

2. I'm trying to put together the 'excellent' PC listed in the OP in pcpartpicker, just to get a sense of what components a pc is made off, and how much they cost. However, the Intel i5 4670K CPU doesn't seem to be listed on there, only the Intel i5 4670. Are those the same? If not, what is the difference?

3. The 'notes' column on the CPU section says 'K models can overclock to 4.2 GHz easily'. I'm overwhelmed enough by building a PC in the first place, so I don't think I will get into overclocking anytime soon. Is the 4670K still the prefered choice if I won't overclock?

4. I also filled in the help form in the OP, does that look realistic?

If you want help with a build fill this out AND try making one of your own from the resources in the OP :)
Use PCPartPickerhttp://pcpartpicker.com/ to find the best prices and have a nice list of parts (Check if items are in stock!). I highly recommend Amazon, Newegg, and NCIXUS in North America.

Basic Desktop Questions:
  • Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
    -Is this for my current PC or the PC I plan to build? If the question is about my current parts, I don't know how much use that info will be since I plan to get rid of it all. I'm not at my PC right now (at the library), and the only thing I know for the top off my head is that it has 1GB RAM. No idea about the other parts.
    If the question is about my planned parts, the 'excellent' PC listed in the OP seems like a good choice.
  • Budget: Price Range + Country
    -€800-€1500, I guess? I have no idea how much a PC that does what I want (see 'main use') is going to cost, but I have about €3000 saved up for this so I should be more than fine. Country is the Netherlands.
  • Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
    -Playing current and next-gen videogames (I want to be able to play next-gen games at mid-high settings for at least a while, if that's doable for a normal price), browsing the internet, watching stuff on Netflix (1080p), and doing work (nothing demanding, just Word/Excel). So, 3-4 I guess?
  • Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
    -I'm getting a new monitor, probably 1080p.
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
    Nothing specific, just next-gen games at medium to high settings for a while. I'm fine with 30fps.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
    -No.
  • When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
    -No hard deadline, but the sooner the better, off course.
  • Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)
    -No, I doubt it. Building a PC is plenty scary enough.

These are a lot of questions, so feel free to answer only one or two. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey people, I'm looking to build a new PC, but I'm very inexperienced with anything PC tech related. My current PC (1GB RAM, Windows XP, more terrible specs, etc.), after 5-6 years of service, has been getting real slow. I already have long given up on playing games on it, but recently it has been tough to do proper work on it too. So, I want to build a new PC, and I was hoping you could help me with that.

I've never bought a (pre-built) PC before, and I've never replaced components in a PC, so building one from scratch is a really overwhelming task from where I'm sitting. I have a lot to educate myself on, but I'm willing to learn. I'm reading through the OP and other sites to collect a few resources to help me build a PC, and I have a few questions about these:

1. Are there any good pc component comparison site for people for the Netherlands? pcpartpicker seems really useful, but you can't set it to pick the best prices in the Netherlands (the closest it can do is Germany).

2. I'm trying to put together the 'excellent' PC listed in the OP in pcpartpicker, just to get a sense of what components a pc is made off, and how much they cost. However, the Intel i5 4670K CPU doesn't seem to be listed on there, only the Intel i5 4670. Are those the same? If not, what is the difference?

3. The 'notes' column on the CPU section says 'K models can overclock to 4.2 GHz easily'. I'm overwhelmed enough by building a PC in the first place, so I don't think I will get into overclocking anytime soon. Is the 4670K still the prefered choice if I won't overclock?

4. I also filled in the help form in the OP, does that look realistic?

These are a lot of questions, so feel free to answer only one or two. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1. Tweakers, definitely Tweakers. Their Pricewatch is good and you can add all kinds of stuff to a wishlist and make it calculate the delivery costs and such.

2. Difference between K and non-K versions is that you cannot overclock the non-K ones, would not recommend it since I do not think the price difference is too much.

3. It is probably still recommended. The price difference here (so also The Netherlands) for the 4670 and 4670K is only ten euros. Just go for it at that price.

4. Very realistic. For about 1000 euros (excluding windows and other stuff) you have about the best PC you can get imo before getting too much diminishing returns.

Feel free to PM me.

Which if the best GTX780 from this page: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?catid=1914&groupid=701&sortby=priceDesc&subid=1341

Also, is my CPU (i7 920) ok for future games at 2.6Ghz or would I need to OC back to 3.5Ghz? Or would I need a new CPU? Also, is 6GB or RAM ok (what I have now) or should I upgrade? Was looking at maybe getting 16GB RAM for the future.

You would definitely at least need to overclock if you are looking at the GTX 780. And even then I am not completely sure it is enough (it depends on the game of course). Why would disable the overclock anyway? And 6GB RAM is probably enough, but more cannot really hurt.

Zomba13

You would definitely at least need to overclock if you are looking at the GTX 780. And even then I am not completely sure it is enough (it depends on the game of course). Why would disable the overclock anyway? And 6GB RAM is probably enough, but more cannot really hurt.

FFXIV was crashing my system all the time and I didn't know why (did the usual, upgrade drivers, uninstall/reinstall, monitor temps etc) Only thing that has stopped the system crashes was when I reset the OC. Well, first time I reset it it didn't fix it, then I tried to put the OC back to 3.5 but messed up somewhere and the system wouldn't get start so I reset using the motherboard reset switch and now FFXIV hasn't crashed for me since and I've not been playing much on the PC that is that intensive (FFXIV runs fine, could run better but it works).

If I do get a GTX780 I'd need a new motherboard for an i5-4670k. What would be the bext motherboard? I'm not that great at most computer part stuff but I'm super not good at what makes a decent mobo. All I know is the socket type I'd need and to have 2 slots for a gfx card in case I want to SLI in the future rather than buy a new single card.

My price range is pretty big. I want to reuse what I can but I don't think it'd be much. Power supply is around 600-650W Can't remember because My original needed to be returned under warranty and my dad gave me a spare he had while waiting so I can't remember off the top of my head. I've got a corsair closed circuit CPU cooler I think I can reuse for OCing.

FFXIV was crashing my system all the time and I didn't know why (did the usual, upgrade drivers, uninstall/reinstall, monitor temps etc) Only thing that has stopped the system crashes was when I reset the OC. Well, first time I reset it it didn't fix it, then I tried to put the OC back to 3.5 but messed up somewhere and the system wouldn't get start so I reset using the motherboard reset switch and now FFXIV hasn't crashed for me since and I've not been playing much on the PC that is that intensive (FFXIV runs fine, could run better but it works).

If I do get a GTX780 I'd need a new motherboard for an i5-4670k. What would be the bext motherboard? I'm not that great at most computer part stuff but I'm super not good at what makes a decent mobo. All I know is the socket type I'd need and to have 2 slots for a gfx card in case I want to SLI in the future rather than buy a new single card.

My price range is pretty big. I want to reuse what I can but I don't think it'd be much. Power supply is around 600-650W Can't remember because My original needed to be returned under warranty and my dad gave me a spare he had while waiting so I can't remember off the top of my head. I've got a corsair closed circuit CPU cooler I think I can reuse for OCing.

Wait for a different opinion, I am not sure whether a new CPU is necessary.

Astr00

Hello GAF! I would like to play BF4 at ultra settings in 1920*1200 at 60 FPS. My rig has the following specs.

• i5 3570K
  • 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • AMD HD 7870
I was thinking of buying a CM 212 Hyper Evo cooler for my i5 and overcloking it a bit (4.2 GHz, I hope) but I guess my GPU would still be a bottleneck, so I am looking for a replacement. Will an R9 280X be enough with the rest of my specs, or should I spring for an R9 290X or GTX 780? As I said, I will be gaming in 1920*1200 and would like to hit 60 FPS at max quality in BF4. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom