• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
280x is enough of a GPU to handle BF4 at the settings you're looking at.

Whether or not your CPU is enough to handle it, I don't know. If not, then the CPU has become the bottleneck. Upgrading your GPU won't matter.

Thanks! I know where to start looking now. One more question, could you clarify answer 2 for me?

2. Difference between K and non-K versions is that you cannot the non-K ones, would not recommend it since I do not think the price difference is too much.

You forgot a word there between the two words I bolded, I assume you meant 'overclock'? And would you not recommend getting the 4670K or not recommend switching to the 4670?

280x is enough of a GPU to handle BF4 at the settings you're looking at.

Whether or not your CPU is enough to handle it, I don't know. If not, then the CPU has become the bottleneck. Upgrading your GPU won't matter.

That CPU should be fine. Reports on performance for the actual game sound significantly better than what was reported during the beta.

Ieu

Hello GAF! I would like to play BF4 at ultra settings in 1920*1200 at 60 FPS. My rig has the following specs.

• i5 3570K
  • 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • AMD HD 7870
I was thinking of buying a CM 212 Hyper Evo cooler for my i5 and overcloking it a bit (4.2 GHz, I hope) but I guess my GPU would still be a bottleneck, so I am looking for a replacement. Will an R9 280X be enough with the rest of my specs, or should I spring for an R9 290X or GTX 780? As I said, I will be gaming in 1920*1200 and would like to hit 60 FPS at max quality in BF4. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Overclocking isn't a bad idea but I think the GPU is the bigger problem. A 280X will annihilate BF4 but if you want a 290X or 780 then go nuts.

Zomba13

Thanks! I know where to start looking now. One more question, could you clarify answer 2 for me?

You forgot a word there between the two words I bolded, I assume you meant 'overclock'? And would you not recommend getting the 4670K or not recommend switching to the 4670?

I think he's saying to get the K because even if you don't OC you may want to in the future and then you have the option and the price difference isn't that much. If you don't get the K then you won't be able to overclock and you'd only save around £10 or so.

Whoops, overclocking yes. I'd say stay with the 4670K so you still have the option to overclock since the price difference is so low. It is quite easy and safe now. Although sadly the newest CPUs are a bit less suitable for casual overclocking.

Crisco

Banned
Amazon has the Logitech G500S for $49 right now. I really love my MX518, but I want a mouse with a high polling rate and it may be time to retire the old girl :(

Zomba13

Is this a good bundle?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-Cor...9?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item27d8433405

CPU I'd like, amount of RAM I'd like (there is a package with 8GB less for £40 less but I have the money for more). Is that Mother Board any good? Will it play nice with a GTX780? What wattage would you recommend for a PSU? The one I have is 600W. Would that be ok to run all that? I also have 2 HDDs and a DVD and a Blu-ray drive (if that affects the power usuage much). I also want to grab an SSD too as it takes forever fro my windows to load up to where I can launch stuff.

Vitacat

Any opinions/thoughts on the Shuttle SZ87R6 as the basis for a SFF PC I want to build?

http://www.shuttle.eu/products/mini-pc/sz87r6/

57e843642a.jpg

Would make things simple for me as a noob, and the size is perfect for me. 500W power supply, decent cooling, MB etc. Plan to install a 4770K, decent (but not top of line) nVidia GPU, SSD, HDD.

Will be available in USA in November apparently.

is general rule, not buy factory overclocked stuff when have the option?

if I wanna use a 780 for a few more years, worth paying the $80 more for classified or w/e equivalent of asus and gigabit for easier OC?

kharma45

Is this a good bundle?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-Cor...9?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item27d8433405

CPU I'd like, amount of RAM I'd like (there is a package with 8GB less for £40 less but I have the money for more). Is that Mother Board any good? Will it play nice with a GTX780? What wattage would you recommend for a PSU? The one I have is 600W. Would that be ok to run all that? I also have 2 HDDs and a DVD and a Blu-ray drive (if that affects the power usuage much). I also want to grab an SSD too as it takes forever fro my windows to load up to where I can launch stuff.

It's not, this is better as you get a motherboard that can overclock

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £332.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-28 21:22 GMT+0000)

What 600w do you have?

Edit - Don't get the CPU from Aria, they rip the arse out of delivery. If you're an AVForums member you can get free delivery at Scan or pony up the extra and get it from Amazon. Either way, it's a better bundle.

Jzero

Holy shit. Installing my MSDNAA copy of Windows
on an SSD by booting from a flash drive on USB 3.0 is lightning fast. I literally finished installing Windows in way less than 10 minutes. Maybe i just got too used with servicing old computers.

Zomba13

It's not, this is better as you get a motherboard that can overclock

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £332.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-28 21:22 GMT+0000)

What 600w do you have?

Edit - Don't get the CPU from Aria, they rip the arse out of delivery. If you're an AVForums member you can get free delivery at Scan or pony up the extra and get it from Amazon. Either way, it's a better bundle.

Thanks. PSU is OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Ready Modular Power Supply

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't know if this is the right thread but I couldn't find a better one. (Sorry)

If I go to the weird Windows "We rate your PC" system screen, it informs me that only 4GB of my 6 are usable. The Geforce Experience thing also says 6GB (4GB usable).
I do have a 64x system (Win8) and f.e. dxdiag tells me I have the 6GB, as does CPU-Z.

As far as I can tell BIOS also only detects 4GB.

If I go to the Advanced Options in the msconfig menu, the maximum memory thing was not checked, but when I check it it only shows 2GB.

Any ideas?

diaspora

Holy shit. Installing my MSDNAA copy of Windows
on an SSD by booting from a flash drive on USB 3.0 is lightning fast. I literally finished installing Windows in way less than 10 minutes. Maybe i just got too used with servicing old computers.

Windows 8 and 8.1 are really slim OSs too, especially after the past few clusterfucks.

scottzorus

Neo Member
I don't know if this is the right thread but I couldn't find a better one. (Sorry)

If I go to the weird Windows "We rate your PC" system screen, it informs me that only 4GB of my 6 are usable. The Geforce Experience thing also says 6GB (4GB usable).
I do have a 64x system (Win8) and f.e. dxdiag tells me I have the 6GB, as does CPU-Z.

If I go to the Advanced Options in the msconfig menu, the maximum memory thing was not checked, but when I check it it only shows 2GB.

Any ideas?

Are your motherboard drivers up to date? When my computer showed RAM in the BIOS but not in Windows, updating my drivers fixed the problem.

Ieu

Any ideas?

Try booting with each RAM stick individually. If the system does not boot then you've found a bad stick which needs to be replaced.

Now try booting with a RAM stick in just one RAM slot at a time. If the system does not boot then you have found a bad slot.

Vortex566

Looking to move from a i3-2100 to a i53570K. My graphics card is a GTX 660 TI and the system has 8GB of RAM. I'm going to guess the CPU is now going to hold me back in games?

Phloxy

Gaf jus need quick help, I'm rocking an old core i7 920, 12 gigs of triple channel ddr3 ram an just got myself a new ssd. However, getting really tired of my 480 and how loud it is and the heat it puts out. I plan on getting a new card to hold me over for a couple more years. I only play at 1080p, is it worth it to get a 760gtx, or a 770 gtx.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Try booting with each RAM stick individually. If the system does not boot then you've found a bad stick which needs to be replaced.

Now try booting with a RAM stick in just one RAM slot at a time. If the system does not boot then you have found a bad slot.

I did that and each one worked. Then I put them all in and now it works. I don't know why, but who cares. At least it works :D

Celcius

°Temp. member
Man, the last part I'll need for my end of year upgrades is a new gpu and I was set on getting a titan for the 6gb vram next-gen usage (plus I always like to have nvidia's fastest card), but now that newegg has the gtx 780's for $499, you could literally have gtx 780 SLI for the price of one titan. Hmm, I'll wait and see if the gtx 780ti is 3gb or 6gb before making any decisions...

maneil99

Man, the last part I'll need for my end of year upgrades is a new gpu and I was set on getting a titan for the 6gb vram next-gen usage (plus I always like to have nvidia's fastest card), but now that newegg has the gtx 780's for $499, you could literally have gtx 780 SLI for the price of one titan. Hmm, I'll wait and see if the gtx 780ti is 3gb or 6gb before making any decisions...

780ti is a OCed titan for 699$

Oxn

How does Nvidia justify the Titan 1k price when the 780 Ti is better and cost less?

I would buy a Titan for 550 if they can get its price down to that by end of Nov.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I checked in Can You Run It if my PC would run Battlefield 4. And just because I don't have Windows 8 (I have 7), it's telling me my PC won't run the game at recommended specs.

Is this for real? I'll be damned if I can run a game just because I don't have the latest OS.

kharma45

So I checked in Can You Run It if my PC would run Battlefield 4. And just because I don't have Windows 8 (I have 7), it's telling me my PC won't run the game at recommended specs.

Is this for real? I'll be damned if I can run a game just because I don't have the latest OS.

You're fine.

BiggNife

I'm looking into building a new PC and I'm definitely leaning towards Nvidia for my card because Shadowplay is something that sounds extremely appealing to me.

But I'm wondering if getting a 770 over a 760 is really worth it, even with the price drop. I can't really find concrete evidence as to how much better the 770 is. A 760 should be totally fine if I wanted to play most games in, lets say, 1080p, right?

kharma45

I'm looking into building a new PC and I'm definitely leaning towards Nvidia for my card because Shadowplay is something that sounds extremely appealing to me.

But I'm wondering if getting a 770 over a 760 is really worth it, even with the price drop. I can't really find concrete evidence as to how much better the 770 is. A 760 should be totally fine if I wanted to play most games in, lets say, 1080p, right?

Some rough ideas

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/854?vs=829

perfrel_1920.gif

If it were me I'd grab the 760 as it's perfectly capable at 1080p and put the money saved towards a fund for a 20nm GPU.

No Love

Banned

Get the 760. The 770 is not worth the price premium for the small increase in performance. Just give it an OC and it'll be at 680/770ish speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom