• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Is AMD going to introduce the Never Settle program with their newer cards? I think I'm just going to go with the GTX 770. It's at a good price right now. Esp since it comes free with Arkham Origins and AC:4 and the Shield discount, which I could probably sell on ebay. Why isn't AMD being more competitive with bundles?

kennah

Why isn't AMD being more competitive with bundles? They started this fight with the offering of 6-9 games with their cards... It (usually) takes a long time for changes to make it down the chain - negotiating deals with software distributors/developers, making of marketing materials, setting up websites for redemptions, getting the cards out to suppliers... all of those things take time.

Noctix

Hi Guys, I am building a gaming pc. My friend recommended the following specs. What do you guys think? Any tips advices? Am I missing anything.

processor: i7-4930K
motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE IV Gene-X79
ssd Samsung 840 Series SATA3 250G
hdd 3TB WD RED NAS
ram 16 G.Skill Trident-X
gfx R9 290x
pws CoolerMaster V1000
case AeroCool Strike-X Advance Red

Why isn't AMD being more competitive with bundles? They started this fight with the offering of 6-9 games with their cards... It (usually) takes a long time for changes to make it down the chain - negotiating deals with software distributors/developers, making of marketing materials, setting up websites for redemptions, getting the cards out to suppliers... all of those things take time.

is the 290x part of the reloaded thing? Or do you ONLY get bf4?

A weird technical question I hope you guys can answer.

I'm looking to get a GTX 780, but I keep hearing stuff about having to update my Motherboard's BIOS to .CAP over the standard .RAM.

After looking around, it looks like I can't update my P8Z68-V PRO doesn't seem like it can be updated to .CAP.

Does that mean I can't get a GTX 780? Or am I just not going about this BIOS flashing the right way? Thanks.

I've been doing some research on motherboards, and I've made a shortlist of the ones that are most recommended around my price/performance tier. I'll list them here in order of price (in the Netherlands).

* ASRock Z87 Extreme4 - €116
* Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H - €120
* MSI Z87-G45 Gaming - €125
* Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H - €140
* ASRock Z87 Extreme6 - €148
* MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - €160

What motherboard would you people recommend for me? Will I be good with any one of them? A few questions/things to keep in mind:

-I'm building a mid-high end PC (CPU: i5 4670K, GPU: GTX 760 or 770). Will any of the boards be insufficiently fast, especially going into next-gen?
-I'm probably going to overclock somewhere down the line, seeing as it sounds easier and safer than I thought. Are any of the motherboards not/badly compatible with overclocking?
-All boards have ALC1150 audio codec, except the Gigabyte boards which have ALC898. Is this a big difference in quality?
-Do I want analogue or digital (and coaxial or optical) audio output? I intend to listen to most of the audio through a decent headset.
-I might buy the Xonar DGK soundcard mentioned in the OP; if I will, does that completely replace the onboard audio system (and invalidate the above two questions)?
-All motherboards have enough SATA and USB slots for my needs.

Sort of TL;DR:

The ASRock Z87 Extreme4 matches the more expensive boards on amount of slots and sound codec, but is significantly cheaper. It seems like the best choice, but a I missing something here (is it much weaker/unreliable/unable to overclock/etc.)?

kennah

What's that? :(

In seriousness - you really don't need that much gear unless you're doing serious workstation work. There's no advantage to gaming unless you're sk3tch.

That said, it's your money :p But the RED WD drives are designed to work in pairs in a NAS only and aren't recommended for regular use. Get a Black or Blue.

But for that kind of money be a man and go all SSD.

Also the 290X was the card to buy....before the 780 dropped in price to $50 cheaper than a 290X. Or wait a week and get the 780Ti for $700.

Also the power supply is pointless overkill and not a great brand. Get a 750W-850W Seasonic instead. you only need a 1kW PSU if you're doing Tri/Quad SLI or over clocking an AMD.

Also the case looks stupid.

maneil99

A weird technical question I hope you guys can answer.

I'm looking to get a GTX 780, but I keep hearing stuff about having to update my Motherboard's BIOS to .CAP over the standard .RAM.

After looking around, it looks like I can't update my P8Z68-V PRO doesn't seem like it can be updated to .CAP.

Does that mean I can't get a GTX 780? Or am I just not going about this BIOS flashing the right way? Thanks.

New 780's ( Post July ) All have a new bios that fixes the launch day compatibility issues. Update regardless though if possible
http://support.asus.com/download.as...m=P8Z68-V PRO&os=30&hashedid=JjlGHLJGJPFfGCFA

maneil99

Hi Guys, I am building a gaming pc. My friend recommended the following specs. What do you guys think? Any tips advices? Am I missing anything.

processor: i7-4930K
motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE IV Gene-X79
ssd Samsung 840 Series SATA3 250G
hdd 3TB WD RED NAS
ram 16 G.Skill Trident-X
gfx R9 290x
pws CoolerMaster V1000
case AeroCool Strike-X Advance Red
Do you plan on Overclocking at all?

If so this build is 2x the speed for the same cost

CPU - 3770k
Motherboard - Asus Zabertooth Z77
Cooling - Cooler Master 212 +
GPU 780 GTX ACX Sli
PSU - Corsair TX850vw

Everthing else can stay

kennah

I've been doing some research on motherboards, and I've made a shortlist of the ones that are most recommended around my price/performance tier. I'll list them here in order of price (in the Netherlands).

* ASRock Z87 Extreme4 - €116
* Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H - €120
* MSI Z87-G45 Gaming - €125
* Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H - €140
* ASRock Z87 Extreme6 - €148
* MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - €160

What motherboard would you people recommend for me? Will I be good with any one of them? A few questions/things to keep in mind:

-I'm building a mid-high end PC (CPU: i5 4670K, GPU: GTX 760 or 770). Will any of the boards be insufficiently fast, especially going into next-gen?

No

-I'm probably going to overclock somewhere down the line, seeing as it sounds easier and safer than I thought. Are any of the motherboards not/badly compatible with over clocking?

No, they all have the Z87 Chipset which is all you need.

-All boards have ALC1150 audio codec, except the Gigabyte boards which have ALC898. Is this a big difference in quality?

No

-Do I want analogue or digital (and coaxial or optical) audio output? I intend to listen to most of the audio through a decent headset.

Doesn't matter for onboard.

-I might buy the Xonar DGK soundcard mentioned in the OP; if I will, does that completely replace the onboard audio system (and invalidate the above two questions)?

Yes and yes

-All motherboards have enough SATA and USB slots for my needs.

Good.

Sort of TL;DR:

The ASRock Z87 Extreme4 matches the more expensive boards on amount of slots and sound codec, but is significantly cheaper. It seems like the best choice, but a I missing something here (is it much weaker/unreliable/unable to overclock/etc.)?
We're grumpy with Asrock for misrepresenting how they handle voltage on Z77 boards. That said, they're probably fine. I bolded the current recommendation for price to performance sweet spot.

Noctix

Thanks for the replies. My main purpose to get a PC was to play video games at best possible settings. I am a hardware noob. Thats why I came here. I don't plan to overclock. A mate of mine told me that if I am getting a powerful graphics card I need a powerful PSU. So right now R290x is 699 in australia. But are you guys recommending to wait for 780ti? RED NAS was also recommended to me by a mate. So do you guys think having a normal 7200rpm drive would be fine with an ssd.

--
EDIT: Don't really know about overclocking to be honest :(

Atomski

My ancient monitor died recently and I am looking to buy a new one. Anyone know of any great deals or recommend a good screen for a decent price? Ive been kinda out of the loop lately and not even sure what to get. Last monitor lasted me like 5 years.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I really do not need a 780 with a fantastic cooler at $510. Fuuuuuck
My ancient monitor died recently and I am looking to buy a new one. Anyone know of any great deals or recommend a good screen for a decent price? Ive been kinda out of the loop lately and not even sure what to get. Last monitor lasted me like 5 years.
See OP
Ask Questions

nbthedude

So I take it wind force is good stuff? Never bought from them before. Reliable?

It is a factory overclocked 680 with a nice cooler. It is quite and cool, and gets really damn close to Titan in a lot of benchmarks.

Some reviews from when it came out just a few months ago:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/gigabyte-gtx-780-oc-windforce/18/

The GTX 780 is probably best viewed as more of a refinement of Titan rather than direct successor to the 680, designed as something more accessible to the enthusiasts and gamers that aren’t well-heeled enough to afford the absurdly-priced Titan. That said, the performance here is certainly outstanding, as the GTX 780 OC Windforce overwhelms the competition, utterly embarassing the Radeon 7970. Frankly, there is no competition in fact; it’s not even close.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_780_windforce_oc_review,27.html

I've already stated in the GeForce GTX 780 reference review that the product is an astonishing piece of technology. Silky smooth and fluid framerates is what you'll get thanks to the tremendous horsepower at hand. It does so while hardly making any noise and with dynamically adjustable temperatures you can decide yourself how hot your GPU may run. The card is a nice chunk faster compared to the GeForce GTX 680 and the Radeon HD 7970 GHz edition. Compared to equivalent multi-GPU products that dynamic changes though but I'm not even certain if we should compare to that. The MSRP pricing for the GeForce GTX 780 is EUR 539.00 excl. VAT (US $649 incl. VAT / GBP £549 incl. VAT).

If you opt the Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3X OC edition, then you are in for a real treat. It's drop-dead silent and runs at Titan like performance (with small offsets here and there). Next to that there still remains to be room left for tweaking. Overall the product is just massively impressive and has great looks. As such we reward the Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3X OC edition with our top pick award, well deserved. Nice job Gigabyte ! Once it is available in the stores then please be careful, there will be a normal and an OC edition, our sample is the GV-N780OC-3GD SKU.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...igabyte-gtx-780-windforce-3x-oc-review-9.html

In a market that’s quickly becoming saturated by board partners vying for a segment shrinking in popularity, everyone has to bring their A-game to the table. That’s exactly what Gigabyte has done with the GTX 780 WindForce OC. It is an excellent all-round graphics card that offers TITAN-like performance and quiet operation without requiring a significant premium over the reference version. To us, that’s a winning combination that renders NVIDIA’s flagship nearly redundant at certain resolutions.

And those are when it launched at $680 just five months ago. Now it is $510 and it comes with free Batman Origins, Assassin's Creed IV, and Splinter Cell.

The bastards got me. And I thought I was sticking with my 7970 I got last year for a good long while...

jfoul

I might just go grab an i7 3770k, with Broadwell being delayed into Q4 2014 and the rumor of it being incompatible with 8 Series LGA 1150 motherboards.

Zomba13

It is a factory overclocked 680 with a nice cooler. It is quite and cool, and gets really damn close to Titan in a lot of benchmarks.

Some reviews from when it came out just a few months ago:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/gigabyte-gtx-780-oc-windforce/18/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_780_windforce_oc_review,27.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...igabyte-gtx-780-windforce-3x-oc-review-9.html

And those are when it launched at $680 just five months ago. Now it is $520 ans it comes with free Batman Origins, ASsasin's Creed IV, and Splinter Cell.

The fuckers got me. And I thought I was sticking with my 7970 I got last year for a good long while...

So the 780 I should grab should be the Windforce?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah I don't deserve a 780, nor do I need one. Still a good buy though.
So I take it wind force is good stuff? Never bought from them before. Reliable?
Very solid, equal to ASUS imo. My 670 WF is extremely cool and silent to boot and clocks great.
If I'm willing to spend a little bit more is the EVGA superclocked one worth it?
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...mhz-gddr5-gpu-967mhz-boost-1020mhz-cores-2304

The review and benchmarks I saw put it as good as or better than a Titan in every benchmark they run (with the windforce just below them).
ACX is nice and pretty.

maneil99

Groof

Okay guys, one of my chassi fans seems to be on the fritz as it started to buzz like a mechanical screwdriver. I think it's the top most one (Fractal Design R3) and I was thinking of replacing it.
Earlier I was suggested to get Noiseblocker NB-Multiframes, however the only Noiseblocker fans in stock at nearby stores (I'd rather exchange it ASAP) are these: NoiseBlocker NB-ELoop B12-3. Are these in a similar category?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Groof

I don't think you can go wrong with NB's from a quick glance.
Those are the 1900RPM version so they should be very audible unless you undervolt them. It doesn't seem like they have PWM.

I found the 1300rpm and the 800rpm versions as well, should I go for one of those instead?

edit: I went ahead with the 1300rpm one, seemed like the best compromise. Thanks for the help!

Jibbed

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my 2011 'budget' build this winter to something a bit more up-to-date, nothing too expensive.

i7 2600K
ASUS P8V68-V
ASUS GTX 560Ti 1GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Corsair H50 Water Cooler
NZXT Tempest Evo Case

That's how it is at the moment, it's served me well thus far but pCARS and the BF4 beta have shown me it could do with a bit of love soon. Any suggestions for upgrades would be appreciated.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my 2011 'budget' build this winter to something up-to-date, nothing too expensive.

i7 2600K
ASUS P8V68-V
ASUS GTX 560Ti 1GB
16GB RAM
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Corsair H50 Water Cooler
NZXT Tempest Evo Case

That's how it is at the moment, it's served me well thus far but pCARS and the BF4 beta have shown me it could do with a bit of love soon. Any suggestions for upgrades would be appreciated.
New graphics card and you'd probably be good. Something good, like a 290 or a 780 maybe.

Addnan

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my 2011 'budget' build this winter to something a bit more up-to-date, nothing too expensive.

i7 2600K
ASUS P8V68-V
ASUS GTX 560Ti 1GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Corsair H50 Water Cooler
NZXT Tempest Evo Case

GTX 780 is at a nice price in the UK right now. All depends how much you want to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom