• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use a full copy to upgrade too. Also, if you have an 8.1 disc, you can just upgrade straight to 8.1.

The problem with upgrading from 7 to 8.1 is that you lose all of your applications and settings. An upgrade from 7 to 8 gives you an option to keep your install applications and settings and then you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 no problem.

My particular case is that I have a full 8.1 key but no product key for Windows 8. I have the Windows 8 iso, so my hope is I can upgrade to Windows 8 with that and skip the product key activation portion, since I believe you have 30 days. Then I want to use the Windows 8.1 media to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 and at that point use my Windows 8.1 product key. It just seems like a potential corner case that MS might not have considered, but we'll see. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and I have to do a clean install.

JustinBB7

I've been having random freezes/random BSOD for a long time now. I've replaced my power supply once, memory once or twice, cooling fans like 5 times, got a new grapics card, and just recently an SSD and did a fresh windows 7 install. Sill random freezes/bsod. Even more than ever. It's hard to be on my computer for more than 5 minutes now.

I looked around and it seems a lot of people have problems with this motherboard I think.

My specs are:

amd phenom II X4 965
asus m4a79t deluxe
4GB Corsair RAM
Geforce GTX 580
Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000w power suppy
CM 680 II case
Samsum 840 EVO 250GB SSD

Usually it would be once a day, but lately it's more and more, I've been tinkering with my Ram placement today but no luck. Did memtest with my old ram before I bought this one but didn't even find anything if I remember it right.

Does anybody have experience with this motherboard? Is it worth trying to fix it or should I just give up and buy new stuff. I bought this about almost 4 years ago so an upgrade is not a bad idea anyway.

Mogwai

The problem with upgrading from 7 to 8.1 is that you lose all of your applications and settings. An upgrade from 7 to 8 gives you an option to keep your install applications and settings and then you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 no problem.

My particular case is that I have a full 8.1 key but no product key for Windows 8. I have the Windows 8 iso, so my hope is I can upgrade to Windows 8 with that and skip the product key activation portion, since I believe you have 30 days. Then I want to use the Windows 8.1 media to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 and at that point use my Windows 8.1 product key. It just seems like a potential corner case that MS might not have considered, but we'll see. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and I have to do a clean install.

As far as I'm aware, you can't upgrade an OS that's not activated.

As far as I'm aware, you can't upgrade an OS that's not activated.

Damn. It's a full 8.1 license, not an upgrade license. Legally and all that, it should be doable but technically, it's an unusual case, so you're probably right. I have a 3 day weekend. I was hoping to spend my free time playing BF4, not clean installing an OS.

Newline

Ok so heres my battlefield 4 build. Should arrive tomorrow! Will be coupled with my i5 2500k which i'll overclock with the aftermarket cooler.
Wish me luck, first indepth build. Will post success/failures tomorrow.

1yjw1PR.png

How hard is it to pull the stock cooler off and install an aftermarket one?

I'm seriously starting to consider ovetclocking my i5 2500k but I've been using the stock cooler for around 18 months.

IMACOMPUTA

Is a 700w PSU enough for
2x280x
I5 3570k (4.3 OC)
?

I'm thinking not.
Any good deals on power supply's? Modular preferred obviously but not required.

Knch

How hard is it to pull the stock cooler off and install an aftermarket one?

I'm seriously starting to consider ovetclocking my i5 2500k but I've been using the stock cooler for around 18 months.

Pulling the stock cooler off is easy as pie. (If it's the same as the newer stock cooler, four quarter turns, 4 tugs, done.)

Difficulty of mounting the aftermarket cooler is dependent on which cooler you buy. (And if you mount it in the case or outside, or ...)

JustinBB7

I've been having random freezes/random BSOD for a long time now. I've replaced my power supply once, memory once or twice, cooling fans like 5 times, got a new grapics card, and just recently an SSD and did a fresh windows 7 install. Sill random freezes/bsod. Even more than ever. It's hard to be on my computer for more than 5 minutes now.

I looked around and it seems a lot of people have problems with this motherboard I think.

My specs are:

amd phenom II X4 965
asus m4a79t deluxe
4GB Corsair RAM
Geforce GTX 580
Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000w power suppy
CM 680 II case
Samsum 840 EVO 250GB SSD

Usually it would be once a day, but lately it's more and more, I've been tinkering with my Ram placement today but no luck. Did memtest with my old ram before I bought this one but didn't even find anything if I remember it right.

Does anybody have experience with this motherboard? Is it worth trying to fix it or should I just give up and buy new stuff. I bought this about almost 4 years ago so an upgrade is not a bad idea anyway.

Been reading more and more about it and it really seems it's my motherboard. Usually with the same processor as well. So I'm gonna get a new processor/motherboard/case and ram, since my power supply, graphic card and hard drives are still good.

I used the OP and came up with this:

Processor Intel Core i7-4770K,s1150
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming,s1150
RAM corsair-vengeance-1600-16gb-2x8gb
Case fractal-design-define-r4-black-pearl

Is that a safe build and will it last me 3/4 years?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ugh, I want to install windows from scratch on this SSD but I can't format it. The samsung secure erase tool won't put a dos boot disk on my usb stick. It just fails for some reason. Wish I could just wipe it without all that non.

kennah

Ugh, I want to install windows from scratch on this SSD but I can't format it. The samsung secure erase tool won't put a dos boot disk on my usb stick. It just fails for some reason. Wish I could just wipe it without all that non.

Just repartition it from within the Windows installer

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Just repartition it from within the Windows installer

Sorry, I meant that windows is already on this ssd that I'm using right now and I want to format it, but it doesn't let you format the drive that is using windows. Unless you are talking about that. I tried booting from the windows dvd to see if it would let me do that, but I didn't really get anywhere.

Pulling the stock cooler off is easy as pie. (If it's the same as the newer stock cooler, four quarter turns, 4 tugs, done.)

Difficulty of mounting the aftermarket cooler is dependent on which cooler you buy. (And if you mount it in the case or outside, or ...)

It's kind of a pain but well worth the effort especially with your i5 2500K.

Removing the stock cooler looks easy (though slightly unnerving because of the force it seems necessary to pull it out) but I watched a video of the Hyper 212 installation and that looked a bit intense with the mounting brace plus its enormous.

Even after seeing that, I'm a little more concerned with removing and reapplying the thermal paste which from what I read is going to be necessary.

la_briola

How does the GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD compare to similar 770s?
€ 279 + NVIDIA AC IV Black Flag DC / SC Blacklist
The price seems good?!

edit: nvm. its a 760, not a 770, my bad.

Don't know too much about PC hardware and upgrading. I was thinking about getting an nvidia gtx 650 for my PC but apparently it can only support low profile cards. Are there any low profile cards similar to the one i mentioned above?

Thanks.

Knch

Sorry, I meant that windows is already on this ssd that I'm using right now and I want to format it, but it doesn't let you format the drive that is using windows. Unless you are talking about that. I tried booting from the windows dvd to see if it would let me do that, but I didn't really get anywhere.

Boot from the Windows DVD, choose to do a clean install, at the disk selection screen, click the advanced button, remove all partitions, create a new partition, format said partition and you're done.

Removing the stock cooler looks easy (though slightly unnerving because of the force it seems necessary to pull it out) but I watched a video of the Hyper 212 installation and that looked a bit intense with the mounting brace plus its enormous.

Even after seeing that, I'm a little more concerned with removing and reapplying the thermal paste which from what I read is going to be necessary.

Removing the stock cooler does not require all that much force, just make sure you unlocked the push pins correctly and it should pretty much pull right off.

A hyper 212 is not that big! (Try mounting a Noctua NH-D14 inside a 600T, getting those fan clips on is a real ...)

Thermal paste is nothing to be concerned about. To remove the thermal paste: remove CPU from socket, wipe down with alcohol wipes (or equivalent.) To apply, insert CPU in socket, apply a small dot in the middle of your CPU and mount your cooler.

kennah

Yeah... you can't format the drive that currently is running the os you're currently running... Follow the directions above :)

JustinBB7

Sorry for the triple bump, just want to make sure :(

Also added PC Part picker stuff to make a list of all the things I will have combined then:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Vxq2
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Vxq2/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Vxq2/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($162.84 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1044.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-31 11:29 EDT-0400)

I live in Holland so prices won't matter much, it will mostly be for gaming, sometimes streaming and just want it to last 3/4 years with maybe a new graphics card at some point. Just sick of living in fear of crashing/freezing every time I move my mouse.

Been reading more and more about it and it really seems it's my motherboard. Usually with the same processor as well. So I'm gonna get a new processor/motherboard/case and ram, since my power supply, graphic card and hard drives are still good.

I used the OP and came up with this:

Processor Intel Core i7-4770K,s1150
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming,s1150
RAM corsair-vengeance-1600-16gb-2x8gb
Case fractal-design-define-r4-black-pearl

Is that a safe build and will it last me 3/4 years?

Have hard drive and ram prices gone up over the last couple years, or am I fucking crazy? I was looking over my last build and prices on both those parts seem to be almost double what I paid in 2011.

JustinBB7

Have hard driver and ram prices gone up over the last couple years, or am I fucking crazy? I was looking over my last build and prices on both those parts seem to be almost double what I paid in 2011.

Wasn't there a flood at a lot of big hard drive companies a while ago that made all prices go up? Think that might be a reason.

Addnan

Also added PC Part picker stuff to make a list of all the things I will have combined then:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($157.99 @ Newegg)

I live in Holland so prices won't matter much, it will mostly be for gaming, sometimes streaming and just want it to last 3/4 years with maybe a new graphics card at some point. Just sick of living in fear of crashing/freezing every time I move my mouse.
I was about to say don't get that insane PSU, seems you already own it. Get a cooler for your CPU and change to low profile RAM.

JustinBB7

I was about to say don't get that insane PSU, seems you already own it. Get a cooler for your CPU and change to low profile RAM.

Yea I bought that PSU a while ago hoping it would fix my problems, it didn't but oh well.

What cooler and ram would you suggest? I messed around with installing different coolers and it didn't go so well. I'm not that great with the whole paste thing for some reason.

Addnan

Yea I bought that PSU a while ago hoping it would fix my problems, it didn't but oh well.

What cooler and ram would you suggest? I messed around with installing different coolers and it didn't go so well. I'm not that great with the whole paste thing for some reason.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is still the one to get. As for paste how are you doing it? All you need to do is place a pea sized amount on to the centre of the CPU. The rest will be done by the heatsink. No need to spread with anything else.

RAM, Corsair vengeance LP is good. Basically anything without the fins.

kennah

Have hard drive and ram prices gone up over the last couple years, or am I fucking crazy? I was looking over my last build and prices on both those parts seem to be almost double what I paid in 2011.

Yep. Both have pretty well doubled.

Hard drives: flood took out most of the plants plus many major players stopped making hard drives so now there are only two manufacturers who have basically a monopoly (WD + Seagate)

RAM: Reduced manufacturing of DDR3 has made it rarer plus a fire recently that knocked down the production of the memory by about 20%.

JustinBB7

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is still the one to get. As for paste how are you doing it? All you need to do is place a pea sized amount on to the centre of the CPU. The rest will be done by the heatsink. No need to spread with anything else.

RAM, Corsair vengeance LP is good. Basically anything without the fins.

I tried to do it multiple times with this one and I kept getting 100+ Celcius degrees the second I would boot so I quickly turned it off. I tried like 5 different coolers. Then putting back on the stock one was the lowest temp I could get. But I'll try again I guess! I think I might even have that Cooler Master Hyper already.. gonna double check that. Edit I have a ISGC-400 from thermaltake, looked similair.

For RAM: http://mycom.nl/componenten/geheugen/9649/corsair-vengeance-lp-1600-16gb-2x8gb that one should do then right.

maneil99

Have most of the windows 8.1 issues gone away. I am running windows 8, just want to make sure its stable. Will there be any differences stabilty wise in terms of games vs windows 8

Addnan

This card or a 280x? Seems like this is a no brainer.

I would go with this. Plus remember it comes with batman, splinter cell and Assassins's creed 4 AND $100 off shield if you are interested. FTW edition, ACX cooler. Amazing card.

I tried to do it multiple times with this one and I kept getting 100+ Celcius degrees the second I would boot so I quickly turned it off. I tried like 5 different coolers. Then putting back on the stock one was the lowest temp I could get. But I'll try again I guess! I think I might even have that Cooler Master Hyper already.. gonna double check that.

For RAM: http://mycom.nl/componenten/geheugen/9649/corsair-vengeance-lp-1600-16gb-2x8gb that one should do then right.
Yep, that RAM is fine. When you get your cooler drop by here and post. We can walk you through it if need be.

I always hesitate about picking a 4770K instead of a 4670K. Obviously it will not be worse, but there is not really a benefit in game performance, while it is quite a lot higher priced.

Unless you do specific stuff that makes use of hyperthreading I'd say just get a 4670K. But I must note that I do not know whether upcoming games will make use of hyperthreading (if they are CPU limited at all) or that you use programs that make use of hyperthreading.

And what graphics card are you gonna pick?

Also, you can pick RAM that takes less space in your case if it is cheaper. Unless you like how this looks.

I'd recommend the Tweakers pricewatch btw if you are shopping for Dutch parts.

EDIT: How long it will go with the times pretty much is going to depend on what graphics card you are going to take, the rest is fine.

I always hesitate about picking a 4770K instead of a 4670K. Obviously it will not be worse, but there is not really a benefit in game performance, while it is quite a lot higher priced.

Unless you do specific stuff that makes use of hyperthreading I'd say just get a 4670K. But I must note that I do not know whether upcoming games will make use of hyperthreading (if they are CPU limited at all) or that you use programs that make use of hyperthreading.

Watchdogs recommends the i7 3770, which is the ivy bridge version, no? So I guess if you were going haswell the 4770 would be the equivalent.

Course this is all based on the Watchdogs requirements.

Watchdogs recommends the i7 3770, which is the ivy bridge version, no? So I guess if you were going haswell the 4770 would be the equivalent.

Course this is all based on the Watchdogs requirements.

Yeah, I kinda doubt it will matter.

1. I do not trust Ubisoft and their PC ports all that much.
2. I doubt the game is CPU bottlenecked.
3. If they suddenly use some process that magically requires hyperthreading to perform well, just turn it off.
4. I believe it said 8 cores in that requirement or something with next to it the 4770K, it is not the same as having 8 cores so I do not think there has been put a whole lot of thought into those requirements.

It may be possible that hyperthreading will be used in future games and suddenly will make a big difference, but I doubt so.

Hi guys.

When I look in Nvidia Geforce Experience it says that I have 7.92GB RAM usable. Shouldn't this be 8?

However, when I check system in the control panel it says that I have 8GB.

Tablo

And what graphics card are you gonna pick?

Also, you can pick RAM that takes less space in your case if it is cheaper. Unless you like how this looks.

I'd recommend the Tweakers pricewatch btw if you are shopping for Dutch parts.

EDIT: How long it will go with the times pretty much is going to depend on what graphics card you are going to take, the rest is fine.

Battlefield 4 benefits from hyperthreading and so will future games so... 4770K is a good investment.

Hi guys.

When I look in Nvidia Geforce Experience it says that I have 7.92GB RAM usable. Shouldn't this be 8?

However, when I check system in the control panel it says that I have 8GB.

Do not worry about it, many programs report a slightly different number. As long as it is not significantly different.

Battlefield 4 benefits from hyperthreading and so will future games so... 4770K is a good investment.

I did not know about that, I would like to see a benchmark, but if that is the case I could agree it is not a bad investment. Even then spending the money on a better graphics card probably makes more of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom