• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Hay,

The PS4 no media nonsense gave me my final push to start my PC build

Im building a system that vastly outperforms the next gen consoles framerate wise and plays all modern and upcoming games for the next few years at 60FPS minimum.

I also want to play alot of emulators and MAME with minmal hassle

A bonus will be the ability to video edit using adobe premier, Photo edit using photoshop and a little after effects/in motion work

Resolution is going to be fixed at 1080p, Im not really interested in going higher.

I want my system to be as quiet as possible as it will be doubling up as a media pc for ripped films, DVDs, Music and Blurays

Ive already bought:-

Silverstone SST-GD08B USB 3.0 HTPC Case

OCZ OCZ-ZS750W-UK ZS Series 750W 80+ Bronze PSU with 135mm Fan & single +12V Rail

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

I have my eye on :-

Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Corsair CW-9060007-WW Hydro Series H60 High Performance 120mm Rad All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair CO-9050006-WW Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition 120mm Low Noise High Pressure Fan Dual Pack x 2

Pioneer BDC-207DBK 8x SATA Internal Blu-ray Player DVD/CD Burner Combo Drive

But where im getting Unstuck is I have no idea what kind of ram, motherboard, GPU SSD and HDD im going to need.

I want the best bang for my buck but the most important things are:-

I never want to game under 60FPs at 1080p even if that means lowering settings

Im not too fussed about extra processing like downsampling etc

Im willing to pay extra for a GPU that will last me a long time.

any ideas?

What is your budget for the rest of your bits? What version of Premiere are you running? Is it this one? http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/05/improved-gpu-support-in-adobe-premiere-pro-cc.html

What is your budget for the rest of your bits? What version of Premiere are you running? Is it this one? http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/05/improved-gpu-support-in-adobe-premiere-pro-cc.html

My total budget is probably going to be about £1500 pounds. (£1300 left) Id like to spend closer to £1000 tbh , but im operating on the principle that once its built, I want to do minimal upgrades for the next 4-5 years. Maybe throw in a another graphics card to do SLI/Crossfire. That's it.

Im spending what I consider a fuckton of money so I want something that's quality, quiet and long lasting.

I don't really want to mess with overclocking or any of that jazz. Put the parts in, turn on, job done.

Edit: Im not using premire or photoshop at present. Ill be buying whatever the latest one is once ive built the machine.

ekim

My total budget is probably going to be about £1500 pounds. (£1300 left) Id like to spend closer to £1000 tbh , but im operating on the principle that once its built, I want to do minimal upgrades for the next 4-5 years. Maybe throw in a another graphics card to do SLI/Crossfire. That's it.

Im spending what I consider a fuckton of money so I want something that's quality, quiet and long lasting.

I don't really want to mess with overclocking or any of that jazz. Put the parts in, turn on, job done.

Edit: Im not using premire or photoshop at present. Ill be buying whatever the latest one is once ive built the machine.

If you're doing lots of video editing and photo stuff I would suggest going for 16 GB RAM. It's not that much eating more money than 8GB.
As for the graphics card, wait for a non-reference 290X (the reference model is very loud). It's currently the best performance for your money card in the high end sector.

Edit: the GTX 780/780GHZ edition is also worth looking at.

kharma45

My total budget is probably going to be about £1500 pounds. Id like to spend closer to £1000 tbh honest, but im operating on the principle that once its built, I want to do minimal upgrades for the next 4-5 years. Maybe throw in a another graphics card to do SLI/Crossfire. That's it.

I'll presume then you're not on Premiere CC? If so then Nvidia is the way to go for your GPU. This a rough idea based on the parts you've chosen. Bumped the cooler up to an H80 as the difference was just over a tenner. Overclocking is very easy btw, you'll be able to get your 4770K up to 4.2GHz or so easily enough, and you'll get a 25-30% performance bump. Well worth doing

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£233.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£74.03 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£114.28 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£114.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£199.24 @ CCL Computers)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£25.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Silverstone SST-GD04B-USB3.0 (Black) HTPC Case (Purchased For £111.89)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (£42.26 @ CCL Computers)
Other: OCZ OCZ-ZS750W-UK ZS Series 750W 80+ Bronze PSU with 135mm Fan & single +12V Rail (Purchased For £64.99)
Total: £1092.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 23:41 GMT+0000)

You could just go for broke and get the best card Nvidia does (bar the Titan)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£399.98 @ Aria PC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£25.98 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (£42.26 @ CCL Computers)
Other: OCZ OCZ-ZS750W-UK ZS Series 750W 80+ Bronze PSU with 135mm Fan & single +12V Rail (Purchased For £64.99)
Total: £1293.62
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 23:43 GMT+0000)

Would there be any appreciable difference in gaming between an i5-4670K and an i7-4770K? I'm looking to upgrade my CPU (and motherboard) from my Phenom II x4 965.

I'll presume then you're not on Premiere CC? If so then Nvidia is the way to go for your GPU. This a rough idea based on the parts you've chosen. Bumped the cooler up to an H80 as the difference was just over a tenner. Overclocking is very easy btw, you'll be able to get your 4770K up to 4.2GHz or so easily enough, and you'll get a 25-30% performance bump. Well worth doing

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£199.24 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1092.88
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 23:41 GMT+0000)

You could just go for broke and get the best card Nvidia does (bar the Titan)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£399.98 @ Aria PC)
Total: £1293.62
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 23:43 GMT+0000)

Thanks.

Just a quick question though, doesn't the AMD 290x outperform the 780? Or is the performance bump negligible at 1080p?

Would there be any appreciable difference in gaming between an i5-4670K and an i7-4770K? I'm looking to upgrade my CPU (and motherboard) from my Phenom II x4 965.

Not yet anyway. I'd say just go with a 4670K.

Thanks.

Just a quick question though, doesn't the AMD 290x outperform the 780? Or is the performance bump negligible at 1080p?

It does outperform the 780, but the price is higher, it is louder, it consumes more, it has no Nvidia features, it gets hotter. Only on higher resolutions the performance difference may be worth it. But you can still overclock the 780 and it will compete pretty well with the AMD 290x.

kharma45

Thanks.

It does but it's a hot, noisy fucker atm. Until non-reference ones appear I can't recommend it.

Also if you get Premiere Pro CS6 an AMD is useless, only Nvidia works with it. You have to get Premiere Pro CC to use AMD, just fyi.

If you're just gaming I'd stick to the i5.

It does outperform the 780, but the price is higher, it is louder, it consumes more, it has no Nvidia features, it gets hotter. Only on higher resolutions the performance difference may be worth it. But you can still overclock the 780 and it will compete pretty well with the AMD 290x.

It does but it's a hot, noisy fucker atm. Until non-reference ones appear I can't recommend it.

Also if you get Premiere Pro CS6 an AMD is useless, only Nvidia works with it. You have to get Premiere Pro CC to use AMD, just fyi.

Thanks guys. Another question, what difference does the amount of ram in a video card make? ive seen video cards with up to 6gb of ram. is that more for multi monitor setups?

Thanks guys. Another question, what difference does the amount of ram in a video card make? ive seen video cards with up to 6gb of ram. is that more for multi monitor setups?

Well, there is only one 6gb one I think and that is the Titan. But yeah, higher resolutions, so also multi monitor setups will benefit from more VRAM.

Well, there is only one 6gb one I think and that is the Titan. But yeah, higher resolutions, so also multi monitor setups will benefit from more VRAM.

If you're gaming at 1080p though 3GB will be a nice sweet spot for a good while yet.

excellent. I do have one last question sorry, apart from extra ports/space, am I missing much going with a Micro ATX over a full ATX board?

reading the spec, I don't think ill need anything else, but its always nice to know.

If you're gaming at 1080p though 3GB will be a nice sweet spot for a good while yet.

I game at 1440p and have a GTX 680 4GB. Although I've been recommended to buy a 780 as an upgrade (I'm selling my card to my partner who I'm making a PC for), it's lower vram will eventually catch up with me right? Whereas the 690 or 290x or hd 7990 etc have more vram and would be a better future investment? I know I can OC a 780, but is the vram going to hold me back in a whiles time?

tarheel91

I game at 1440p and have a GTX 680 4GB. Although I've been recommended to buy a 780 as an upgrade (I'm selling my card to my partner who I'm making a PC for), it's lower vram will eventually catch up with me right? Whereas the 690 or 290x or hd 7990 etc have more vram and would be a better future investment? I know I can OC a 780, but is the vram going to hold me back in a whiles time?

I'd argue that the 290x's extra ROPS and the larger 512-bit bus are what are really going to help you at higher resolutions.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm gonna be good with 2 screens at 1920x1200 with a 7970? (Mind you, I won't be using both screens for games.)

Hmmm haven't had any issue with newegg RMA or amazon.

Is there some bad horror stories?

It's not about horror stories, its that returns couldn't possibly be any easier then on amazon. Don't need to wait for a response, just mark something for return with a reason, and pick if you want a print out label or a guy to show up to pick it up. This is based on US amazon with a prime account though, don't know how it is for elsewhere/without prime.

NoRéN

Hmmm haven't had any issue with newegg RMA or amazon.

Is there some bad horror stories?

I've heard some bad stuff about newegg RMAs. occassional, not the norm. But if I had to choose, i would choose amazon. Painless returns. their customer service is great. Up to you though. If one can save you money over the other(state tax) then choose that one.

It's not about horror stories, its that returns couldn't possibly be any easier then on amazon. Don't need to wait for a response, just mark something for return with a reason, and pick if you want a print out label or a guy to show up to pick it up. This is based on US amazon with a prime account though, don't know how it is for elsewhere/without prime.

prime customer here but returns are the same for everyone. Drop off the package yourself or have UPS pick it up. In my case, returns arrive next day. Leads to quick refunds.

Blackage

Hey guys, I'm rocking an i5-2500K OC'd to 4.3 GHz, 8GB RAM Corsair Vengeance RAM, and a 7950 video card, I was wondering if my CPU is bottlenecking my video card at this point and if I should upgrade? I usually upgrade my PC in parts as opposed to building an entirely new rig.

Hey guys, I'm rocking an i5-2500K OC'd to 4.3 GHz, 8GB RAM Corsair Vengeance RAM, and a 7950 video card, I was wondering if my CPU is bottlenecking my video card at this point and if I should upgrade? I usually upgrade my PC in parts as opposed to building an entirely new rig.

Nah that seems like a decent balance. Maybe push the OC a bit more. It seems OCs over 4.5 are common for that CPU. I'm rocking a 7970 with a i7 930 @ only 3.9 GHz and based on benchmarks, the CPU doesn't seem to be bottlenecking me at all.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
NoRéN;88105045 said:
Thanks, both of you! Fixed the problem!

One last question, should i enable GPU scaling?

Yes, it does that thing you did manually automatically and accurately.

My second monitor does the same black bar thing - gpu scaling fixes it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
When do 290X and GTX 780 Tis with aftermarket coolers come out? I'm not interested in the hair dryer + egg fryer combo with the reference design. As an engineer, I seriously don't see the point of the reference design having such laughable cooling when heat and noise are massively important aspects in GPUs. Did their marketing department demand having unicorns and women on horses and other nonsensical GPU artwork instead of quietly and effectively cooling the device?

I can get the Gigabyte 770 2GB for €290 or the Gigabyte 770 4GB for €320. I will be playing on a single 1080p monitor.

Is the extra GB worth it? Battlefield 4 seems to need more than 2GB at ultra setting at 1080p, but I don't know if Battlefield is just an outlier or if that's going to be the norm.

I can get the Gigabyte 770 2GB for €290 or the Gigabyte 770 4GB for €320. I will be playing on a single 1080p monitor.

Is the extra GB worth it? Battlefield 4 seems to need more than 2GB at ultra setting at 1080p, but I don't know if Battlefield is just an outlier or if that's going to be the norm.

Personally, for an additional 10% I would go for 4GB.

When do 290X and GTX 780 Tis with aftermarket coolers come out? I'm not interested in the hair dryer + egg fryer combo with the reference design. As an engineer, I seriously don't see the point of the reference design having such laughable cooling when heat and noise are massively important aspects in GPUs. Did their marketing department demand having unicorns and women on horses and other nonsensical GPU artwork instead of quietly and effectively cooling the device?

November for 290x, we have almost no info about 780 Ti right now.

kennah

I swapped out my 2x 660 Tis for a 780 and my Firestrike score went down. Have I made a terrible mistake?

Depends on your opinion of mistake. I guess your computer will consume less power now? (2x660Ti would be technically faster than a 780 but the 780 will have none of the issues associated with SLI)

EDIT: Lol, one of the answers that came up when I googled this was sk3tch saying that he might test it out on a whim)

NoRéN;88121801 said:
I've heard some bad stuff about newegg RMAs. occassional, not the norm. But if I had to choose, i would choose amazon. Painless returns. their customer service is great. Up to you though. If one can save you money over the other(state tax) then choose that one.

prime customer here but returns are the same for everyone. Drop off the package yourself or have UPS pick it up. In my case, returns arrive next day. Leads to quick refunds.

NoRéN;88121801 said:

hmmm this applies for gpu's too?. I've had good experiences as a prime user with CS and with chase freedom getting 5% back, that nearly cancels out the tax cost.

Will consider it. thanks!

That's very odd. Isn't 780ti coming out Nov 7th?

well gpu reviews tend to all appear and BAM the card is available for sale, so i'm thinking near the 7th is when embargos are up?

NoRéN

hmmm this applies for gpu's too?. I've had good experiences as a prime user with CS and with chase freedom getting 5% back, that nearly cancels out the tax cost.

Will consider it. thanks!
there you go. Amazon's service is top notch. And how could I forget the 5% cash back til December!

RedSwirl

Okay I gotta know: how important is it really to have eight threads? If I want a processor that'll last me a good five years of gaming is it really imperative I have eight threads? Right now I'm looking at an i5-4670k and this thread has noted repeatedly how unnecessary an i7 is for most tasks. But still, the consoles will have eight threads, and now I'm actually hearing of PC games that will make use of eight threads.

And is it really impossible to upgrade a CPU without taking a whole motherboard with it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I always buy Amazon first and suggest others do the same. Their selection has come a long way in the past year. Newegg's service has gone down and they are filling their marketplace with crap.

I had to return a router for work. Made a return slip in the late afternoon, got a new one next day at noon (Business). Paid return slip the norm.
They give you a good amount of time to return as well.
Okay I gotta know: how important is it really to have eight threads? If I want a processor that'll last me a good five years of gaming is it really imperative I have eight threads? Right now I'm looking at an i5-4670k and this thread has noted repeatedly how unnecessary an i7 is for most tasks. But still, the consoles will have eight threads, and now I'm actually hearing of PC games that will make use of eight threads.

And is it really impossible to upgrade a CPU without taking a whole motherboard with it?
Yeah but you have a quad core Intel that has double the power of an eight core AMD laptop chip (Consoles). Even more if you overclock.

Teggy

Depends on your opinion of mistake. I guess your computer will consume less power now? (2x660Ti would be technically faster than a 780 but the 780 will have none of the issues associated with SLI)

EDIT: Lol, one of the answers that came up when I googled this was sk3tch saying that he might test it out on a whim)

Weird - when I got the second 660ti benchmarks were showing the pair on par with a 680 on a good day and often a little under. I thought I'd be getting a small bump. Oh well, money-wise it should be about a wash after I sell everything and I gain 1gb of VRAM. And next year I can drop in a second 780.

I'll ask this in here but I'm not sure anyone actually knows. I have Windows 7 installed. I would like to buy a full transferable copy of Windows 8.1 but I also want to go the 7->8->8.1 upgrade path so that I don't need to reinstall all of my software. Is it possible to install Windows 8 without a key and then upgrade to windows 8.1 using the full key and media?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone download the new bios for the ASUS SABERTOOTH X79? The UEFI certainly changed and it seems like there's either new features or reworded one's across different parts. It has a nice blue tone now though.

And regarding nvidia CP, is there a way to backup your config like custom resolutions and settings so you don't have to redo them every time?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So my gtx 470 is giving me a hard time. Tried a 3 different drivers and they all bluescreen Windows on start up. I restored to when I have no drivers (I just built a new PC, this card is the only left over part from my old one, which it was giving the same problems.) It works without any drivers, just display with terrible resolution options, but I'm thinking the card is just messed up. In addition, windows boots up super slow now even on this brand new SSD, It booted really fast before I had these problems. I'm thinking I should just wipe everything and start from scratch...and I guess get a new card. Any ideas?

Edit: Now it failed even without the drivers... I guess I gotta get a new card and format because I have no idea.

I ordered an Asus VS239H-J online, but when I looked on the ASUS website it says the response time is 14ms, but the store says 5ms.
What the heck is the deal with that?
need to know i should cancel

Knch

I'll ask this in here but I'm not sure anyone actually knows. I have Windows 7 installed. I would like to buy a full transferable copy of Windows 8.1 but I also want to go the 7->8->8.1 upgrade path so that I don't need to reinstall all of my software. Is it possible to install Windows 8 without a key and then upgrade to windows 8.1 using the full key and media?

You can use a full copy to upgrade too. Also, if you have an 8.1 disc, you can just upgrade straight to 8.1.

red731

Just a quick question regarding the power supply, GFX demands and rest of the computer.

I have 7970 3GB GHz now with 750w PS.
If I would buy the newest R9 290x which has 750w power supply demands, would 750w that I own be enough or would that need to be upgraded to at least 1000w PS?

Also - new that new single R9 290x or second 7970 3GB Ghz for crossfire? I think that the second option would net me bigger performance increase in the long run, right?

kharma45

Just a quick question regarding the power supply, GFX demands and rest of the computer.

I have 7970 3GB GHz now with 750w PS.
If I would buy the newest R9 290x which has 750w power supply demands, would 750w that I own be enough or would that need to be upgraded to at least 1000w PS?

Also - new that new single R9 290x or second 7970 3GB Ghz for crossfire? I think that the second option would net me bigger performance increase in the long run, right?

750w is plenty for a 290X. I wouldn't buy one though until a non-reference cooler appears. Too hot and noisy otherwise.

amardilo

Can anyone tell me if they think I should be able to play Battlefield 4 at 1080p at 60fps on max settings with this approx build (will get a cheaper 750W power supply and I already own a copy of Windows 8 and a 1.5TB 5200RPM WD Green HDD) - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/amardilo/saved/2eP6

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Corsair Neutron Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition (2-Pack) 63.5 CFM 120mm Fans
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 23.0" Monitor[/url]

The other thing I would like to know is if people think this PC is more powerful and will play games at a 60fps and at 1080p and look at least as good as the next gen consoles?

My future plan is to add another GTX 780 but this will be a few years from now. By the sounds of it I need a power supply just over 700W so I am planning on getting a 750W power supply.

Addnan

That looks like a solid build. I don't know about the Corsair SSD, i'm sure someone else can chime in.

As for adding a second 780 in a few years. I can promise you that you won't. In a few year mid range card will most likely beat the 780 with ease.

red731

750w is plenty for a 290X. I wouldn't buy one though until a non-reference cooler appears. Too hot and noisy otherwise.

Thank you. All the immediate excitement of spending money made me forgot abou non-ref models with better cooling solutions.

Thank you too for confirmation that it would be enough.

Jordan

The guy I work with is having a very strange issue.

He has an MSI Z87-G43 and a HIS 7870 2GB... When the card is plugged into the first PCI-E slot then the machine refuses to POST... When it's plugged in the second PCI-E slot then machine boots.

He has had the board replaced and the issue still occurs. The graphics card works in other machines, and other graphics card work in the first slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom