• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about HDD. I have a 2TB and it makes a constant stuttering or light rattling noise. It does it every few seconds and it's constant. A friend of mine tells me it's nothing and only worry about clicking noises.

Is this stuttering normal with HDDs? Is that the difference between HDD and SSD?

kharma45

Is it me or did the price of RAM double from 12 months ago?

I tried pricing out 32GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM and found it was ~$300 bucks. My build from last year pegged the same type and amount of RAM at $164.

Did something happen to cause this?

Production is ramping down.

Hey PcGaf

My mom just dropped me the task to build/buy a comp for my grandma... so yeah the needs are web browsing and playing cards game i guess.

Trying to go under 400$ canadian, a small form factor would be nice, but not necessary. Monitor, mouse, keyboard we already have, it's to replace this super old tower she got.

I'm not to sure what i should get.

Thanks for the help.

Stubo

Am I correct in thinking that Broadwell will still be DDR3 and Skylake is when the non enthusiast boards make the jump to DDR4?

kharma45

Am I correct in thinking that Broadwell will still be DDR3 and Skylake is when the non enthusiast boards make the jump to DDR4?

Yes.

Hey PcGaf

My mom just dropped me the task to build/buy a comp for my grandma... so yeah the needs are web browsing and playing cards game i guess.

Trying to go under 400$ canadian, a small form factor would be nice, but not necessary. Monitor, mouse, keyboard we already have, it's to replace this super old tower she got.

Thanks for the help.

She could honestly get away with something like this. Not SFF but very cheap and would fulfil her needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.74 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($40.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 400W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $298.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-05 19:29 EST-0500)

SFF wise

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.74 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($65.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($49.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 400W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $338.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-05 19:31 EST-0500)

AMDs Kaveri could be decent too come January 14th. Also depending on what size of hard drive space she needs you could ditch that 1TB HDD for an SSD and give her a real speed boost.

She'll not need a massively powerful machine for those tasks, anything over an i3 is overkill. Pentium would suit well enough imo.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
This is so weird! I don't remember DD2 going up in price until well-after DD3 started hitting mainstream.

DDR4 isn't even out yet and DD3 has already doubled in price?

NoRéN

This is so weird! I don't remember DD2 going up in price until well-after DD3 started hitting mainstream.

DDR4 isn't even out yet and DD3 has already doubled in price?

Has it really? This time last year I paid $45 for 2x4gb ddr3 ram.
This year I paid $52 for 3x4gb ddr3 ram.

Where are you located?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
NoRéN;92575177 said:
Has it really? This time last year I paid $45 for 2x4gb ddr3 ram.
This year I paid $52 for 3x4gb ddr3 ram.

Where are you located?

USA.

I'm pretty sure because I still have the receipt my build list for the 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 DD3 I bought last year where I bought it for $164 but now it's ~$300 for a 4x8GB kit :(

EDIT: unless it only went up for higher density chips?

kennah

Hey PcGaf

Thanks for the help.
Where in Canada? I'll put together a great grandma machine later. Do you have an os for her?

Anton668

OK, so my 750 Hive showed up a day early. (yay)
opened up the box and..... none of the wires are sleeved :(
least they are all black.... bah, hate to have to turn around and send it back but... dont think I can handle unsleeved wires....

anybody else who got in on the 750 Hive deal report back and lemme know if theirs has sleeving?

OK, so my 750 Hive showed up a day early. (yay)
opened up the box and..... none of the wires are sleeved :(
least they are all black.... bah, hate to have to turn around and send it back but... dont think I can handle unsleeved wires....

anybody else who got in on the 750 Hive deal report back and lemme know if theirs has sleeving?

I just received one and there were no sleeves.

Where in Canada? I'll put together a great grandma machine later. Do you have an os for her?

In Quebec City, I do have an OS and i have no problem putting it together, but thanks anyways! It's just i had i no idea what is good and not at that price range :p

It's funny how this will cost less the my GPU i bought last week for my new build t.t

guek

Banned
So I want to clarify again about using multiple types of ram. During black friday weekend, I ended up purchasing 3 different types of ram.

1x CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (1600)
2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (2133)
2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (1600)

What happened was I initially bought the corsair but then decided to go with the G. SKILL instead by Monday because I realized I needed 2 sticks. So the corsair is getting returned for sure. I thought about it some more and went back to order another 2 sticks for 16GB but accidentally ordered a different pair at a higher speed. By the time I realized it, the original set of ram I had bought was sold out and I ended up with 2 sets of ram at 2 different speeds.

Poking around online, I found this tidbit from intel's site:

To achieve dual-channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

Same memory size. Examples: 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB.
Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
Matched in symmetrical memory slots

Configurations that do not match the above conditions revert to single-channel mode.

The following conditions do not need to be met:

Same brand
Same timing specifications
Same speed (MHz)
The slowest DIMM module populated in the system decides memory channel speed.

So, after considering it, I realized I want to keep the two different sets and run them both. To return one and buy a matching set for the other would cost me an extra $30 over what I initially spent. I know that doing this will cause the faster ram to run slower at 1600 but I don't really care since that's the speed I originally wanted anyway. I want to clarify though that this is 100% safe and a fairly benign configuration.

I'm not having as much luck with this i7 3770K. I tried 4.4 Ghz @ 1.25 volts and it crashed after 3 hours of Prime95. I then tried 4.3Ghz and it crashed much sooner. I upped the volts to 1.27 and it crashed again. I'll give 4.2 a try I guess. I don't want to up the volts much more.

GHG

Gold Member
Whats the best version of the 780 ti you can get at the moment? Looking for a combination of the best cooling and factory overclock.

GHG

Gold Member

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm not having as much luck with this i7 3770K. I tried 4.4 Ghz @ 1.25 volts and it crashed after 3 hours of Prime95. I then tried 4.3Ghz and it crashed much sooner. I upped the volts to 1.27 and it crashed again. I'll give 4.2 a try I guess. I don't want to up the volts much more.

i thought ivy could handle a lot more. My default on this 3570 is about 1.25 volts you can take them in to 1.3X range with some safety. Intel max is about 1.5 and good ocs don't need the 1.4 on some machines I've seen.

i thought ivy could handle a lot more. My default on this 3570 is about 1.25 volts you can take them in to 1.3X range with some safety. Intel max is about 1.5 and good ocs don't need the 1.4 on some machines I've seen.

What I've found is, typically you'd try to stay below 1.3-1.35v with 1.4v being the max you'd ever consider for a 24/7 OC. This isn't my machine so I'm staying on the safe side. Temps have been fine though.

LCGeek

formerly sane
What I've found is, typically you'd try to stay below 1.3-1.35v with 1.4v being the max you'd ever consider for a 24/7 OC. This isn't my machine so I'm staying on the safe side. Temps have been fine though.

the main guide I started ocing from says that's the max, not that you should start there for a long term goal. I'm not saying you should go there but you're pretty low and have plenty of room considering where you're at.

1.35 is perfect place to run stress test and take things down if it's stable other wise you may have found your max. Unsure what your experience is so I'm not trying to ride you just point what I've done with ivy bridge myself. I barely needed anything on my vcore compared to quad or c2d machines required.

Yeah your right, if it was my machine, I'd go about it differently but for this build, I'm intentionally staying conservative with a low target voltage. Stock volts at load for this particular chip is 1.06v so I am giving it a nice little bump even at 1.25v.

kennah

In Quebec City, I do have an OS and i have no problem putting it together, but thanks anyways! It's just i had i no idea what is good and not at that price range :p

It's funny how this will cost less the my GPU i bought last week for my new build t.t
I meant price out not literally build :)

Can anyone comment on a comfortable overclocking speed for an i7 4770K without needing liquid cooling? I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo and currently have my CPU OC'ed to 4.0. I'm curious if I can push it a bit more?

On a side note, I'm only wanting to OC when I am playing my Dolphin emulator. I noticed a considerable jump in FPS for Xenoblade Chronicles when I went from 3.5 to 4.0

LCGeek

formerly sane
Can anyone comment on a comfortable overclocking speed for an i7 4770K without needing liquid cooling? I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo and currently have my CPU OC'ed to 4.0. I'm curious if I can push it a bit more?

On a side note, I'm only wanting to OC when I am playing my Dolphin emulator. I noticed a considerable jump in FPS for Xenoblade Chronicles when I went from 3.5 to 4.0

What are your temps that's what matters. Get one of the programs mentioned in OP and then we can talk about how you can push.

IIRC some gaffers in the thread said 4.2 on 4770k is really good.

What are your temps that's what matters. Get one of the programs mentioned in OP and then we can talk about how you can push.

IIRC some gaffers in the thread said 4.2 on 4770k is really good.
Will do. I have Prime95, CPU-Z and Speccy installed, but completely overlooked the posts farther down with specific OC guides. This is a ton of information....I'll read through and come back to bug about questions later.

NoRéN

Will do. I have Prime95, CPU-Z and Speccy installed, but completely overlooked the posts farther down with specific OC guides. This is a ton of information....I'll read through and come back to bug about questions later.

Please do and share your experience. I'm hoping to do the same with the same cpu and cooler.

CRS

Is frozencpu.com the main place to buy water cooling equipment for the US?

Trying to find other options and Amazon has very little and the items that are on there aren't on Prime.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Yesterday I oc'd my 7970 to 1050mhz and it worked fine. Today I had to restart it to get the audio to work through HDM and now when I try to overclock the core speed seems locked at the stock 925mhz. What's strange is that if I use Afterburner to OC the slider in Overdrive will be set to the 1050mhz, but the GPU speed remains at 925. Any ideas?

Edit: Seems to have corrected itself, but I have no idea why. Oh well!

NoRéN;92614654 said:
Please do and share your experience. I'm hoping to do the same with the same cpu and cooler.
I'm not the best at overclocking here....using an MSI Z87-G45 mobo. I tried testing the quality of my CPU by pushing it to 4.8, but couldn't get my system to boot. At 4.6, it would boot. However, running Prime95 froze my PC. I must have my voltage off, but I can't quite get a grasp on how to understand the amount of voltage to throw at your CPU. I lowered my CPU to 4.2 GHZ and am finally able to get Prime95 to run. But I'm also trying a different formula. With 1.0 voltage as my base at 4.0 GHZ, I'm adding .0125 extra voltage for every .1 GHZ OC'ed.

Prime95 stress test at 4.2 has my CPU at 72 degrees on average. I had brief spikes of 79/80.
Core 1: 75
Core 2: 73
Core 3: 73
Core 4: 69

On the same topic, how many fans do people recommend for a case? I'm using the Bitfenix Shinobi, and curious if I should purchase at least 1 or 2 more fans for inside the case.

snack

Hello all. So I upgraded my computer in August (3570k w/ p8z77vlk mobo) with new ram (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) and using the same gpu and psu from the build previous. Sometimes when I boot up the computer (cold boot), I get no video on the monitor. Fans are running, and there are no beeps. If I restart the computer, I get a signal on the monitor. I see video and everything is fine.

I never had this problem before on my previous build. I have no idea what the fuck is causing this. I can bring it to my local computer store (NCIX), they want a 35 dollar diagnostic fee. What should I do?

Hello all. So I upgraded my computer in August (3570k w/ p8z77vlk mobo) with new ram (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) and using the same gpu and psu from the build previous. Sometimes when I boot up the computer (cold boot), I get no video on the monitor. Fans are running, and there are no beeps. If I restart the computer, I get a signal on the monitor. I see video and everything is fine
Has this issue been going on since you upgraded in August? Or did it just begin recently?

snack

Has this issue been going on since you upgraded in August? Or did it just begin recently?

It's been a problem since August. I know I really should've fixed it back then, but I was busy with school and still am. But my break is coming up and I wanna game without this annoying problem.

It's been a problem since August. I know I really should've fixed it back then, but I was busy with school and still am. But my break is coming up and I wanna game without this annoying problem.
Hrmmm....hard to say. You really didn't add much to the system, else I'd think your PSU is causing the issue. And after the cold boot fails and you restart, does it always work then? And if you want to eliminate RAM being the issue (as it was one of your new pieces), I'd remove a stick of RAM and test if a cold boot loads normal then. Whatever the result, then try the other stick of RAM and see what happens there as well.

Really, it's just a matter of narrowing down what new piece of hardware is causing your problem. I doubt the RAM, but who knows.

So after a previous poster snagged an Alienware, I've been looking on Craigslist in my area as well, to see if anything pops up. I've found one guy who is selling a custom build for $800 dollars, and is throwing in a Razer-brand keyboard, mouse and Dell monitor for free, but I'm not sure if the PC itself is a good deal, or if something similar/better could be created with less money. I've scanned Google and Newegg, and it seems on the surface I'm getting it for less than what the parts are worth individually, more so if the keyboard, mouse and monitor are included. Specs he listed are:

Intel i5 3570k Processor
Nvidia GTX 660 TI
8 GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM
600 Watt Power supply
AS Rock A4 Motherboard
Corsair 300R Case
1 TB HD
Windows 8 OS

He claims it can run BF4 on Ultra at 60 FPS, but YouTube vids have me kinda skeptical on that :\ Not that I need Ultra settings or anything. And of course there's always that concern that the PC is dead, or that there's something wrong with it, but I guess that goes with buying anything second hand.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom