• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Fully expect anyone who is jumping into litecoin mining soon is in for a rude awakening.
When a 40+ year old co-worker says he wants to build a PC to mine litecoins, that's basically asking for the difficulty to spike way the hell up real soon. Recall mining bitcoins aaaaaages ago and I have some litecoins in the bank from swapping over late last year, but I'd imagine it's going to be a busy time for miners these days.

Anyway...
Upgrade my 680 or not guys?
I can't decide and I have a wad of money burning in my pocket.
Feels like such a small jump unless I drop like 700 big ones and even then I'm not one for bleeding edge gpus.

antonz

Woo My R9 290 has arrived! Gonna do a full system cleaning on the inside with canned air etc. before I install it but looking forward to BF4 later going from a 6970 to a 290 hopefully unlocked 290x :D

studyguy

Woo My R9 290 has arrived! Gonna do a full system cleaning on the inside with canned air etc. before I install it but looking forward to BF4 later going from a 6970 to a 290 hopefully unlocked 290x :D

I love breaking everything down and cleaning things out after a year of simply blasting them with some compressed air.

My idle/load temps always look so great afterwards.

So yeah 280x is my first AMD card ever. Works fine and everything but I find it weird to try to figure out the software/driver version on the website. I see it says 13.11 in the version I have on my PC but the website has 13.11 betas 1-5. I've no idea which version I have. Anyway to determine?

antonz

So yeah 280x is my first AMD card ever. Works fine and everything but I find it weird to try to figure out the software/driver version on the website. I see it says 13.11 in the version I have on my PC but the website has 13.11 betas 1-5. I've no idea which version I have. Anyway to determine?

Beta drivers are optional downloads that are testing fixes that could be for specific games etc. Default downloads will never be the beta drivers.

Something tells me longterm PC gamers are going to get hosed with graphics cards until all these virtual currencies die down.

On why someone bought a 290

800-900kh (upto 1mh if unlockable) while only drawing 250-300W (card alone) for Litecoin mining. Compair that to 200-225W for my hd6950 cards @ 425-450kh, this card is WELL worth the money! ROI est is 1 month, however I'm expecting more along the lines of 2-3 months due to renewed interest in LTC/BTC. I read this card can do 10-11b md5 hashes / sec with hashcat, old card does 4.5b /sec.

Do your research, and it will pay off! Was going to buy hd7990s.

All the cards are being gobbled up by assholes who are never going to actually game with them.

Beta drivers are optional downloads that are testing fixes that could be for specific games etc. Default downloads will never be the beta drivers.

Something tells me longterm PC gamers are going to get hosed with graphics cards until all these virtual currencies die down.

On why someone bought a 290

All the cards are being gobbled up by assholes who are never going to actually game with them.

All those kids buying my mining cards for games!

Reposting for new page

So I built my PC in the summer with the help of this thread and it is excellent, now that Christmas approaches it's time to upgrade this god-awful monitor I have my PC hooked up to. From looking at the OP I was all for the Dell U2412M but I'm put off by the fact that it's 16:10 how often am I going to run in to issues with black borders on games?

The other option in the OP is the ASUS VG23AH but sadly it isn't even available on Amazon UK. If there are better options available for around the same price then great, I just want a monitor that is 1080p and will look great playing games any help would be greatly appreciated.

maneil99

Happened to me as well. Twice. Totally random. System is running fine. No clue what's the cause.

Quick Tip: Don't waste your time trying to find out what it was. I'll spare you the trouble, there's no explanation. might jsut be a game bug or a driver bug (I'm using a GTX 780).

See you on the Battlefield =D

I have the same card, did your bf4 shut down in game/ while quitting or just your pc shut down not related to bf4?

diaspora

Glad I got the Asus DCUII 7970 when I did ($260). Not the Ghz ed sure, but the excellent cooling system lends itself to great overclocking.

CRS

This is what I'm considering for my water cooling setup. To anyone with water cooling experience, I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc. before I hit buy today.

kgp1g3G.jpg

Thanks.

Restrain This

Neo Member
I'm thinking about building a new PC with the R9 290 as my gpu.

Is it safe for me to just take the Excellent/Enthusiast builds on the OP and substitute the gpu in? Are there any considerations that I would need to be mindful of in doing this?

antonz

I'm thinking about building a new PC with the R9 290 as my gpu.

Is it safe for me to just take the Excellent/Enthusiast builds on the OP and substitute the gpu in? Are there any considerations that I would need to be mindful of in doing this?

You should be fine doing that. 290 is simply a new card so not listed.

golem

Corsair Air 540. Will be mounting the pump/top.

Nice. One thing in hindsight I should have accommodated in my setup was a quick disconnect port or other way for draining/filling my loop. Kind of annoying to have to open the plug on the res top all the time.

Rubius

So, I got my vacation pay, and it kind of came out of the blue, so I was wondering if it's a good time to buy a new PC, or if I should wait for next year. I would like a 1500-1700 PC to keep me company for the next 6 years. Any idea or update for the front page build?
I have a 3 year old PC right now and it's starting to show, and it was far from a mega beast to start with.
Would like to see the particle effects of the new games without too much problems.

CRS

Nice. One thing in hindsight I should have accommodated in my setup was a quick disconnect port or other way for draining/filling my loop. Kind of annoying to have to open the plug on the res top all the time.

Yeah, was looking at rigs and I noticed a drain valve on some. I'm planning on putting a drain valve on my 360mm radiator since it'll be at the lowest point of my case and I don't need any extra attachments. But if not, I'll probably attach a "T" close to the pump, and put the drain there.

Thanks for the input.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Coming from an Nvidia card....why does audio over HDMI on AMD cards have to be such a pain in the ass? I fixed it before by disabling my onboard sound. A few hours later and it's busted again.

TChirath

Neo Member
I'm gaming on PC exclusively on 1080p big screen TV (not going to upgrade to 4k anytime soon).

Would it be worth it to upgrade my Geforce 660TI to Geforce780 right now? Would it be a good complement to my PS4 or redundant? Thank you.

maneil99

I'm gaming on PC exclusively on 1080p big screen TV (not going to upgrade to 4k anytime soon).

Would it be worth it to upgrade my Geforce 660TI to Geforce780 right now? Would it be a good complement to my PS4 or redundant? Thank you.

If you feel like your ps4 can hold you until summer do it. maxwell is coming. The difference will be big. GM100 will be replacing the 780. 580 (GF110) -> 780 ( GK110 ) - > 880 GTX ( GM100 , the 10 stands for revision)

Rubius

If you feel like your ps4 can hold you until summer do it. maxwell is coming. The difference will be big. GM100 will be replacing the 780. 580 (GF110) -> 780 ( GK110 ) - > 880 GTX ( GM100 , the 10 stands for revision)

Yeah, I think I will hold to. I just added the enthusiast built with a 780 and it get to 1866$ with shipping on Newegg.ca.
If you tell me that in 6 months, the 780 will be obsolete, I will stay on my current PC for an another year.
Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
But you left out the kink.

The 680 came out before the 780, and was based on GK104. Heck, we didnt see GK110 until the Titan was released. Given the process limitations the industry is facing, I'd fully expect the same thing to happen again. I'd even avatar bet the 880 being a GM104.

tmarg

I don't really know much about bitcoins, but I did get one of the 7950s from Neweggs black friday sale. Should I seriously be considering selling this thing? Would I realistically get enough from it to trade up for a better (for gaming) card?

Parablank

I don't really know much about bitcoins, but I did get one of the 7950s from Neweggs black friday sale. Should I seriously be considering selling this thing? Would I realistically get enough from it to trade up for a better (for gaming) card?

seems like they're selling for about $300-400 on eBay, which you could definitely use to upgrade to a 280x or 290.

maneil99

But you left out the kink.

The 680 came out before the 780, and was based on GK104. Heck, we didnt see GK110 until the Titan was released. Given the process limitations the industry is facing, I'd fully expect the same thing to happen again. I'd even avatar bet the 880 being a GM104.

That was only because the 680 wasn't a 100/110 diedue to the fact that they could compete with AMD with a medium ranged card

I have an older PC with an i7 2600 CPU and a 6850. I want to upgrade my card. Would my CPU be a bottleneck if I got a 290 or something? Would it be a waste?

maneil99

I have an older PC with an i7 2600 CPU and a 6850. I want to upgrade my card. Would my CPU be a bottleneck if I got a 290 or something? Would it be a waste?

2600 or 2600k? Either way its still a great CPU and shouldn't bottleneck you in most games, of course there are games will performance will increaese but thats a given.

AJLma

What do yall think is the better long term plan?

1. Sell my Vapor-X 7970 GHz for $400ish, and buy a GTX 780 for $450-$500

or 2. Keep my 7970 for the next year, year and a half, and upgrade to a R9 290 after a year or so.

Trying to balance the possibility of performance boosts things like Mantle(AMD) and SteamOS(nVidia working with Valve on performance supposedly).

mkenyon

Banned
That was only because the 680 wasn't a 100/110 diedue to the fact that they could compete with AMD with a medium ranged card
That's speculation, not for certain. Even if we were to take it as a true statement, it's probably going to happen again next gen. The days are over when each side would release its whole lineup at once. We'll see a staggered release spread over two gens again from AMD and NVIDIA.

Read more here if you are interested on why. Great great article.
What do yall think is the better long term plan?

1. Sell my Vapor-X 7970 GHz for $400ish, and buy a GTX 780 for $450-$500

or 2. Keep my 7970 for the next year, year and a half, and upgrade to a R9 290 after a year or so.

Trying to balance the possibility of performance boosts things like Mantle(AMD) and SteamOS(nVidia working with Valve on performance supposedly).
Facing the same dilemma myself. Don't forget about G-Sync either.

I'll probably stick it out with my Matrix 7970. The thing is a beast at 1200MHz.

AJLma

That's speculation, not for certain. Even if we were to take it as a true statement, it's probably going to happen again next gen. The days are over when each side would release its whole lineup at once. We'll see a staggered release spread over two gens again from AMD and NVIDIA.

Facing the same dilemma myself. Don't forget about G-Sync either.

I'll probably stick it out with my Matrix 7970. The thing is a beast at 1200MHz.

I really want to see what Mantle is about, and if I had the choice I'd get a modded 290, but I don't think I can wait that long. Gsync is exciting but it'd be a while before I actually put it to use.

Is PhysX something that's worth making a decision over?

Gambit61

Coming from an Nvidia card....why does audio over HDMI on AMD cards have to be such a pain in the ass? I fixed it before by disabling my onboard sound. A few hours later and it's busted again.

Wow so it isn't just me. I've been having problems with hdmi randomly outputting no sound for the past 2 weeks. My GTX 460 I had for 2.5 years gave me zero problems with hdmi.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Wow so it isn't just me. I've been having problems with hdmi randomly outputting no sound for the past 2 weeks. My GTX 460 I had for 2.5 years gave me zero problems with hdmi.

I tried the beta drivers after I posted that and it seems to be working fine now. Give it a shot.

tr4656

This is what I'm considering for my water cooling setup. To anyone with water cooling experience, I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc. before I hit buy today.

Thanks.
Why not raystorm? Also, never heard of those rads, are you sure they are good?

snack

From what I've been reading, it looks like AMD has made some pretty good gpus lately and is stealing some of the spotlight of Nvidia. Is this correct?

CRS

When I was looking up CPU water blocks, I came across is big CPU water block round up and the Supremacy looked like the obvious choice. And for only 10 or so bucks more, that was more more than reasonable.

I think so. They seem to be extremely consistent from low to high fan speeds.

Funny enough, I updated my cart and that water block just sold out. ;_;

GHG

Gold Member

So basically a 780/780 ti is a safe buy right now and wont get outclassed by anything nvidia put out over the next 12/18 months?. I'm ok with this since I'll be looking to get one over the next couple of months.

jediyoshi

Was looking at upgrading my cpu/gpu lately. Jesus, they really just dropped everything lga1156. I still feel like I have one more cpu upgrade before throwin out my mobo, but these are pretty slim pickings left.

mkenyon

Banned
Was looking at upgrading my cpu/gpu lately. Jesus, they really just dropped everything lga1156. I still feel like I have one more cpu upgrade before throwin out my mobo, but these are pretty slim pickings left.
They switch sockets every two generations. Been that way since 1366/1156.
So basically a 780/780 ti is a safe buy right now and wont get outclassed by anything nvidia put out over the next 12/18 months?. I'm ok with this since I'll be looking to get one over the next couple of months.
580 was outclassed by the 680. Regardless if they release something that outclasses it, that doesn't REDUCE the performance of the current part :p
Rads are some of the best in the business. Raystorm is a p'good option, but it'll be hard for me to recommend it after having used EK, Aquacomputer, and Heatkiller stuff. The build quality, fit and finish is just not on the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom