• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Max

My OC'd i7-2600K is faster than Haswell, and cooler. As you already have a Sandy Bridge or Z77 motherboard you may as well just get a faster Sandy or Ivy Bridge chip and OC it.

There are older i5s out there, I assume he's got one of those.

@metareferential

Assuming you don't have an IB, SB chip: Go with Haswell if you want somewhat nicer mobo features, or with IB if you want to save €10.

tarheel91

I think this is worth a heads-up.

There's a new type of Korean 27" IPS (well PLS, which is like Samsung's version of eIPS, whatever) monitor model available: the QNIX QX2710

What makes it remarkable is that almost all of them run at 100 Hz, and many have been successfully used at 120 Hz. The last time this happened was with the Yamakasi Catleap, and it only lasted for a limited production run (the PCB was changed). Now, those command a premium.

The QX2710 is currently around 300 USD on ebay, and if history repeats itself that price will rise and/or the 120 Hz capability will be lost. So if you are interested I suggest acting earlier rather than later.

I told myself I was going to wait until Volcanic Islands to get a 1440p monitor. This is not making it easy.

Roland1979

Is steel series the go to brand for mouse pads?

They get good review, but any good cloth pad will do for optical. For laser use a harder surface. Optical is better for precision, like in fps games. Laser has it's strengths as well, dunno what it is. Might be RTS games. But a lot of people think laser is better since it's newer, this is not true. Depends on the game types you like to play. So just buy a pad that get's good reviews.

Roland1979

I use a Razer myself, honestly I've yet to notice much of a difference between any Razer/SteelSeries/Corsair cloth mats. Hard mats there's usually a more pronounced difference in quality or materials.

Exactly, as long as it's textured/rough the optical will read it well. There's not a point where it can read it even better, it has it's limits. I like pad that have a rubber bottom side though, prevents slipping, but most good pads probably have that as well.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Quick fan question.

The Fractal R4 has a cut out where the motherboard rests so one can access the rear heatsink screws without having to take out the motherboard. The case also has a side vent for an optional fan. Would it make sense to have a fan blow on the other side of the motherboard (at the cutout where the heatsink screws are)? Or would that be pointless? The other option would be to put an exhaust here to take out the heat that is probably being squished between the motherboard panel and the side of the case (about a couple inches thick).

Can't answer your question but consider the GeForce GTX 770 JetStream, a boosted card with 3 fans, should be able to overlclock a lot more (some claimed to have it oc'ed till it neared a 780)

I looked at the Palit but it honestly looks horrible to me. The windforce has 3 fans also and at least looks better, not to mention at least a black PCB. I am coming from an ASUS 680 with the amazing looking backplate and pretty much need one now :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I see. I guess it depends on a few other things as well, like are you going to want to use 3D and get those NVIDIA 3D goggles? DO you think you can get 100/120 fps in games often?

Not going to do nVidia 3D. Not yet anyway. Compatibility seems all over the place, and I'm waiting for Oculus Rift as my go-to 3D solution.

I probably won't hit 100+fps in many games. I am, after all, on a single GTX 670. Maybe I should rush ahead with a 120hz monitor, when shit like Last Light and Crysis 3 can't even hit 60fps :p.

Roland1979

Not going to do nVidia 3D. Not yet anyway. Compatibility seems all over the place, and I'm waiting for Oculus Rift as my go-to 3D solution.

I probably won't hit 100+fps in many games. I am, after all, on a single GTX 670. Maybe I should rush ahead with a 120hz monitor, when shit like Last Light and Crysis 3 can't even hit 60fps :p.

If you're going Oculus think dual Titans for some good performance on high resolution. Or dual GTX 780, at least from what i understand it will be super demanding, especially if you want lots of frames as well. I wouldn't be rushing this, besides Crysis isn't what is used to be, and when next gen titles all are released maybe most will be 60 fps. A monitor can easily outlast a gaming rig.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unless I land on a fortune I won't ever own something like a Titan. I adore my PC gaming, but I won't drop AU$1000+ on a single graphics card. That is a luxury reserved for others :p.

Well, before I fell asleep last night, I managed to get everything hooked up with the exception of the disc drive, which didn't include any SATA cables. I figure I can just open my current PC and get some from one of my two disc drives.

However, when booting the system I got no splash screen. The fans all turned on on the CPU, case, PSU, and GPU, so I think everything has power. Anyway to tell what's not right?

My OC'd i7-2600K is faster than Haswell, and cooler. As you already have a Sandy Bridge or Z77 motherboard you may as well just get a faster Sandy or Ivy Bridge chip and OC it.

Oh, my i5 is not a Sandy Bridge. It's a 750 i5. Waaay older than that. That's why I was asking whether to go Haswell or not, meaning Sandy or Ivy. ;)

So Ivy i7 3770k or Haswell i7 4770k? No big difference in price. I hear Haswell gets really hot compared to previous cpus, and I'd like to overclock.

Jag

I have a tethered laptop under my desk next to my PC (not visible) so I can do some gaming at work (via KVM) without being on a work PC. Unfortunately the old laptop isn't cutting it graphics wise, so I'm thinking of building a small form factor PC.

Are there any cases that are slim and narrow like a laptop that I can make a mid/low end gaming rig?

Well, my problem was pretty simple. GPU wasn't quite pushed into the slot all the way. Just got the flashscreen.

Now to hook up the disc drive and start the installation.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Oh, my i5 is not a Sandy Bridge. It's a 750 i5. Waaay older than that. That's why I was asking whether to go Haswell or not, meaning Sandy or Ivy. ;)

So Ivy i7 3770k or Haswell i7 4770k? No big difference in price. I hear Haswell gets really hot compared to previous cpus, and I'd like to overclock.

Haswell would probably be a better bet overall. Motherboards are better, there's room for future upgrades, it OCs a bit with a closed loop cooler, and there are architectural improvements that can help with things like Dolphin.

I have a tethered laptop under my desk next to my PC (not visible) so I can do some gaming at work (via KVM) without being on a work PC. Unfortunately the old laptop isn't cutting it graphics wise, so I'm thinking of building a small form factor PC.

Are there any cases that are slim and narrow like a laptop that I can make a mid/low end gaming rig?

There are many, many SFF cases on Newegg, but this is a good starting point: http://bit.ly/GAFBoxOne

kharma45

Is your 750 OC'd?

shoes

Neo Member

If you're starting fresh, go ahead and get a Haswell.
Better memory controller(so you won't feel any sting when DDR4 rolls around because you can already use high 2ghz ram)
All SATA ports are 6Gb/s
More USB3's.
Better idle power usage.
Same: Shit TIM, shit OCability when using it. Either way, you should easily hit 4.4-4.8 depending on quality of the chip on a simple water cooler(ie corsair H or other similar ones)/super good air

Or, if you're loaded, wait on Ivy Bridge-e in September.

mkenyon

Banned
If you're starting fresh, go ahead and get a Haswell.
Better memory controller(so you won't feel any sting when DDR4 rolls around because you can already use high 2ghz ram)
All SATA ports are 6Gb/s
More USB3's.
Better idle power usage.
Same: Shit TIM, shit OCability when using it. Either way, you should easily hit 4.4-4.8 depending on quality of the chip on a simple water cooler(ie corsair H or other similar ones)/super good air

Or, if you're loaded, wait on Ivy Bridge-e in September.
From everything I've seen, 4.2-4.5 is more realistic. A fancier cooler also adds cost. All said and done, $80-120 more for a system that is in no way faster just isn't worth it.

Dries

Don't know where to ask so I'll try here. I think I'm experiencing artifacts, but I'm not sure, so let me describe the situation. I have connected my Desktop PC to my Full HD TV using a HDMI cable so I can do the lazy couch thing and enjoy my PC graphics. Unfortunately, this distance is about 10/15 metres, so I'm using a 15 metre HDMI cable. When gaming, I see vague horizontal lines appear when I move the camera. The lines don't really stand out, but it's hard to unsee them. Do note that I have bought the cheapest HDMI cable there is to find in the 15m length range....

So the question is: are these indeed artifacts? And would buying a better HDMI cable fix my problem? There is another one that I'm interested in which has a lot of interference disabling functions, so..

No HDMI experts here?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So I was thinking how awesome it would be to feed a 25 ft usb extension cable along side my hdmi cable, and putting a powered USB hub next to my tv. That way I'd get to put my wireless 360 and keyboard receivers right next to the tv so i'd no longer worry about the random disconnects, and I can use wired controllers like fightsticks and the Oculus Rift in my living room when i eventually get them.

Does anyone know if the USB framework can handle it, or would signal loss screw me over? And would a 3 port usb hub handle the signal loss better than a 7 port one?

Gregorn

I've finally got my pc all working apart from the graphics card. My psu came with this weird ass dual pcie cable, is this the reason why? It says x2 and then came with 1 but split into 2.

Sorry for the weird picture.
DDaPcoQl.jpg

tarheel91

Is there any software to control fan speeds outside of your CPU/GPU fans? My CPU fan is near silent at idle and pretty quiet under load, but the other fans in my case are running full tilt seemingly at all times.

Addnan

I've finally got my pc all working apart from the graphics card. My psu came with this weird ass dual pcie cable, is this the reason why? It says x2 and then came with 1 but split into 2.

DDaPcoQl.jpg

Leave the extra 2 pin separate and plug the 2x 6pins in.

Spazo

DDaPcoQl.jpg

some videocard need 8pin and others need 6 pin

images

kennah

MY COMPACT SPLASH HAS ARRIVED!

Some minor damage, not super thrilled with the paint job, and wtf is up with those cable lengths. But pretty happy. Now to buy the rest of the parts I need :(

kennah

Dude.

I'd get him to reimburse you money to fix that.

But I'm Canadian :(

Also, it's not a huge deal. I ordered an extra side panel anyway, so I'm not out anything... and the damage I got is really frigging minor compared to what some others had happen to their cases. The guy has enough problems right now.

I'm more worried about what to do about those cable lengths. Gonna have to snip and recrimp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom