• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Thinking of getting a second Titan for SLI. How does it scale? Before the Titan I had 2x7950's. Ran into a few problems here and there but I heard SLI is better?
SLI is so much better than CF. Love my SLI Titans.
Is the 780 any good?

Wondering if it is an upgrade from my 460m.
A huge upgrade from what you are currently running.
Bought a new Geforce 660 2Gb GC for my PC, also a new PSU. But my Bios is still giving me errors. I replaced the battery and sometimes the PC wont turn on. Have to switch the PSU off then on and push the on switch. And it takes me to the Bios screen with the Following errors:

CMOS Setting Wrong
CMOS Date/Time not Set
CMOS Checksum Bad

Fuck! Any help here?
Already reseted to factory settings and nothing. Heres hoping its not the MOBO.
Yep. Sounds like a bad MB. Most often, they are the problem.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Bought a new Geforce 660 2Gb GC for my PC, also a new PSU. But my Bios is still giving me errors. I replaced the battery and sometimes the PC wont turn on. Have to switch the PSU off then on and push the on switch. And it takes me to the Bios screen with the Following errors:

CMOS Setting Wrong
CMOS Date/Time not Set
CMOS Checksum Bad

Fuck! Any help here?
Already reseted to factory settings and nothing. Heres hoping its not the MOBO.

All those CMOS errors stem from a battery failure. Basically, your BIOS is reporting "wrong" settings because your battery is failing to keep bios and date settings.

I had a mobo with a battery issue for years, all it meant was that I had to do the "restore bios from" option dealie in the bios menu. Kinda annoying, but not worth spending 100-200 bucks on a new mobo for.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
All those CMOS errors stem from a battery failure. Basically, your BIOS is reporting "wrong" settings because your battery is failing to keep bios and date settings.

I had a mobo with a battery issue for years, all it meant was that I had to do the "restore bios from" option dealie in the bios menu. Kinda annoying, but not worth spending 100-200 bucks on a new mobo for.

You can replace the battery.

Addnan

Nvidia are giving Black List with new cards boo. Lets hope Scan are nice and can still give me the game :(. They should go back and give it to people that have already bought the 7xx series!

Thanks for the replies. If the Z87N is no good, is there any acceptable substitute for the Maximus VI Impact? I can't find it anywhere in the UK, and it's not listed on Newegg in the USA either.

He was suggesting going for the Ivy Bridge build instead. The Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe + a 3570K/3770K. If you want to go Haswell you can still got with Asus P87I-PRO which seems like a pretty decent board http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-bluetooth-dp-hdmi-mini-it

Putting together a build for my brother since I'm visiting him in a few weeks... He'll be going from my hand-me-down q6600 + 9800gt PC, the jump's gonna be huge for him. :D

Budget: $800 / USA
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Witcher 2, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Guild Wars 2
Looking to reuse any parts?: OS - Windows 7 Pro OEM, 600w PSU, HDD, Optical Drive, Mouse
When will you build?: The last week of July.
Will you be overclocking?: Yep.

Here's my initial list, just going by Haz's "great" build in the OP and price comparisons. I haven't been keeping up with parts recently, so please let me know if this is alright...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1f2Yn
That is the best you will get in that budget. It's a good build. Wouldn't change much much. I would add an SSD if you can squeeze it into the budget. Really makes the world of difference.

Danj

He was suggesting going for the Ivy Bridge build instead. The Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe + a 3570K/3770K. If you want to go Haswell you can still got with Asus P87I-PRO which seems like a pretty decent board http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-bluetooth-dp-hdmi-mini-it

For the amount of money I'm planning on spending on this I don't see a good reason to go with last generation parts :) thanks for the information about the Asus P87I-PRO, it looks good.

But I'm Canadian :(

Also, it's not a huge deal. I ordered an extra side panel anyway, so I'm not out anything... and the damage I got is really frigging minor compared to what some others had happen to their cases. The guy has enough problems right now.

I'm more worried about what to do about those cable lengths. Gonna have to snip and recrimp

Man I should've gone with the S3 from the start, tempted to cancel, but like you said, SLE's got enough problems.

The blue looks good in the first shot though, could still be a super cool build.

Is there any software to control fan speeds outside of your CPU/GPU fans? My CPU fan is near silent at idle and pretty quiet under load, but the other fans in my case are running full tilt seemingly at all times.

You can get fan controllers that are installed in an optical drive bay. Hook all your case fans up to it and it'll monitor and allow you to adjust their speeds.
You may be able to adjust case fans via Speedfan provided they are PWM fans and your motherboard supports it.

Blizzard

Banned
Since my Oculus arrived I finally installed Windows 7 on the new PC and got drivers etc. set up.

And then I installed the UDK and...promptly discovered that with an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz, and a GTX 770, I still can't run the night and day UDK demo at 60 fps at 1680x1050. :( It drops to 40 fps in places and is sometimes jerky, and that was basically the only thing running on the system.

I was hoping this combination would get decent gaming performance since the video card was pretty expensive, but this is a disconcerting sign. Does anyone else get solid 60 fps all through that demo at high resolution?

Also, what are the recommended utilities for viewing nVidia usage and temperature, and Intel CPU temperature? The nVidia control panel seems capable but doesn't show usage/temperature. I am currently running RealTemp, which shows idle temperatures of a little under 40C, varying between cores. Does that sound reasonable? I'm using one of the recommended 212 coolers if I recall the number correctly.

Also, what are the recommended utilities for viewing nVidia usage and temperature, and Intel CPU temperature? The nVidia control panel seems capable but doesn't show usage/temperature. I am currently running RealTemp, which shows idle temperatures of a little under 40C, varying between cores. Does that sound reasonable? I'm using one of the recommended 212 coolers if I recall the number correctly.

RealTemp would be one of the best options for CPU temp monitoring. I use either that or CoreTemp.

GPU wise there's GPU-Z, or the various overclocking utilities (MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision-X etc) that monitor temps.

Addnan

Since my Oculus arrived I finally installed Windows 7 on the new PC and got drivers etc. set up.

And then I installed the UDK and...promptly discovered that with an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz, and a GTX 770, I still can't run the night and day UDK demo at 60 fps at 1680x1050. :( It drops to 40 fps in places and is sometimes jerky, and that was basically the only thing running on the system.

I was hoping this combination would get decent gaming performance since the video card was pretty expensive, but this is a disconcerting sign. Does anyone else get solid 60 fps all through that demo at high resolution?

How do I test that demo? I could compare how it performs. Same setup.

Blizzard

Banned
How do I test that demo? I could compare how it performs. Same setup.
If you're really curious to try it yourself, I'm using the Oculus version of the UDK (www.oculusvr.com, anyone can make an account and download it from the old SDK page). It should be similar to the normal UDK though (http://www.unrealengine.com/en/udk/downloads/).

After you install you will want to edit UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini and change ResX and ResY to match your monitor. Also change Fullscreen to True somewhere else in that file.

Then run Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe, choose instant action, select map, night and day.

Thanks!

RealTemp would be one of the best options for CPU temp monitoring. I use either that or CoreTemp.

GPU wise there's GPU-Z, or the various overclocking utilities (MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision-X etc) that monitor temps.
Thanks. I might check out GPU-Z.

Addnan

If you're really curious to try it yourself, I'm using the Oculus version of the UDK (www.oculusvr.com, anyone can make an account and download it from the old SDK page). It should be similar to the normal UDK though (http://www.unrealengine.com/en/udk/downloads/).

After you install you will want to edit UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini and change ResX and ResY to match your monitor. Also change Fullscreen to True somewhere else in that file.

Then run Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe, choose instant action, select map, night and day.

Thanks!
I think some of the scenes in that demo are just very intense. The bit where its turning night and its raining quite a bit my fps dipped to high 30s, was at 1080p. I run my 3570K at 4.5 and a 770.

Blizzard

Banned
I think some of the scenes in that demo are just very intense. The bit where its turning night and its raining quite a bit my fps dipped to high 30s, was at 1080p. I run my 3570K at 4.5 and a 770.
Thanks, that makes me feel better. They may not be optimized that well.

Also, after running Rift stuff with the UDK for a while, it looks like my core maximums went to 57/52/57/55. For a 3570k, what is the danger zone I need to watch for? Over 60-65C?

Addnan

Thanks, that makes me feel better. They may not be optimized that well.

Also, after running Rift stuff with the UDK for a while, it looks like my core maximums went to 57/52/57/55. For a 3570k, what is the danger zone I need to watch for? Over 60-65C?
Temps can go much higher. Can go into 80s without any problems. I like to keep it high 60s to 70s at most under stress testing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice to see all the part posts. New monitors (BenQ and the Korean panel) sound nice.
Haven't really poked at my 2600K yet after setting the voltage up and running it at 4.6Ghz. Been solid so far so that is good.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wow, that's some awful luck :/
Only thing I'd consider would be lapping.

TPC Contact:
j5lCSUP.jpg

(Rotated)
uTDwykQ.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It'd be worth it going by those pics.
I've lapped two chips similar to that contact amount (I'm using Phobya HeGrease) and only seen drops of 3-4C. It really shouldn't be that large a difference.

I'll use another sheet of contact paper to test the X60 mount when I have more free time, and see where my max 24/7 OC lies.

Honestly considered selling it and getting a used 3770K to delid.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I've lapped two chips similar to that contact amount (I'm using Phobya HeGrease) and only seen drops of 3-4C. It really shouldn't be that large a difference.

I'll use another sheet of contact paper to test the X60 mount when I have more free time, and see where my max 24/7 OC lies.

Honestly considered selling it and getting a used 3770K to delid.

That might actually be the better idea given how bad your 2600K is. Uggh, can't believe I just said that.

So general consensus is that over provisioning is not necessary on a Samsung 840 Pro? Installed it yesterday, formatted as a whole , no over provisioning, blazing fast.

tarheel91

You can get fan controllers that are installed in an optical drive bay. Hook all your case fans up to it and it'll monitor and allow you to adjust their speeds.
You may be able to adjust case fans via Speedfan provided they are PWM fans and your motherboard supports it.

Fans are PWM but the motherboard doesn't support it. Oh well.

kennah

Man I should've gone with the S3 from the start, tempted to cancel, but like you said, SLE's got enough problems.

The blue looks good in the first shot though, could still be a super cool build.

It is going to be a trial for sure but I have no regrets. Still going to be a couple months before it is done though :(

Interfectum

Currently floating the idea of making some upgrades to my current PC (thinking GPU, adding SSD).

Current noteworthy specs:
570GTX (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XVMAKU/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
Intel i5 2500k (overclocked)
8GB RAM
650W PS

I'd like a GPU that has a lot of power but still remains cool(ish) and quiet (like my current one). For the SSD I'm thinking of Samsung Pro 250 GB.

Any suggestions for GPU? I'm probably not ready to drop a grand on Titan yet.

Addnan

Currently floating the idea of making some upgrades to my current PC (thinking GPU, adding SSD).

8GB RAM
650W PS

I'd like a GPU that has a lot of power but still remains cool(ish) and quiet (like my current one). For the SSD I'm thinking of Samsung Pro 250 GB.

What's your budget? Most non reference cards will run cool and quiet.

kharma45

8GB RAM
650W PS

What's your budget? Most non reference cards will run cool and quiet.

Yeah depends on what you can spend. 760 is a nice card for the price.

SSD wise get the non-Pro, the Pro doesn't warrant the extra unless you're doing an awful lot of writing all day long.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

8GB RAM
650W PS

760/770?

Interfectum

Budget would be anywhere between $400-600 (but I'm willing to go as cheap as possible too! :p). I just want the performance gain from my 570GTX to be worth my while.

Thanks for the advice on getting the non-pro. Wasn't really sure what the difference was.

Addnan

Budget would be anywhere between $400-600.

Thanks for the advice on getting the non-pro. Wasn't really sure what the difference was.

Then 7970/770 at $400 or 780 will just be breaking that $600 barrier. It is a beast of a card though.

Sapphire (non reference), MSI Twin Frozr, Gigabyte Windforce, Asus Direct CU II or the reference 780 cooler are all good. Just pick one of those card and you will be good.

kbozz71

Banned

8GB RAM
650W PS

Just got a GTX 760. Super quiet and and fairly future-proof with 4gb of ram for under 300USD.

Yeah but does it have to take long to turn on. I mean the fans run. But the time to boot is like 5 to 7 minutes. Sometimes the fans don't even turn on. Like there is no power. Like I told before, I have to swith the PSU Power off, then on for the PC to turn on. Kind of like giving an electric power jump to it.

Yep. Sounds like a bad MB. Most often, they are the problem.
Heres hoping I dont have to buy a new one dude.

Interfectum

8GB RAM
650W PS

Okay as per some of the suggestions here I'm looking at:

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

SAMSUNG 840 Series 500 GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147190

A bit pricy but seems like it should hold me for a couple years. Anything that I should dial back due to overspending on performance? (ie do I need 4GB GPU?)

What do you guys recommend between the SteelSeries Sensei RAW mouse and the Corsair M65?

Honestly, I value comfort and performance equally and I'm worried that the corsair might be too big for gaming. I'm currently using a G500 that is broken but its alright, the side buttons get a bit irritating.
Sorry guys I just want to throw in one more suggestion, the Razer deathadder. All three are the same price. I'm sorta leaning towards the Sensei.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom