• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

My old hdd that I'm trying to copy some stuff off doesn't really seem to be recognized on my new pc or installation of windows. I'd like to copy my stuff over before taking it out again but it keeps disappearing after a short time.

Trying to boot into it but it bsods ... gonna try the startup repair now. If I knew this was gonna happen I wouldve just copied my stuff over to an external hdd earlier.

Diomedes

I asked this in the mechanical keyboard thread but figured I would give it a shot here too. Has anyone had experience switching from Cherry Blue to Cherry Red switches?

I am currently using a Rosewill KB with Cherry Blue switches and am getting a Corsair K70 for my new build but they only come with Cherry Red switches right now. I really like the Blues and I use my computer for work about the same amount as gaming so I am concerned about switching. I picked up a sample switch kit from WASD keyboards but it is pretty hard to gauge the change with just one switch. If anyone has switched and has opinions I would love to here them.

Coming from browns, which are tactile but not clicky like blues, to reds, I have really enjoyed the change. Less noise (though I was sloppy and bottoming out the browns), and lighter force is nice. Depends on what you're looking for though.

So I decided, fuck it, going to save myself some cash and build my PC by myself. So far so good, except my gaming case "ultra defender 2" seems to have a fan on the bottom front that will not reach the CHA input on the mother board. Any help?

t-ramp

So I decided, fuck it, going to save myself some cash and build my PC by myself. So far so good, except my gaming case "ultra defender 2" seems to have a fan on the bottom front that will not reach the CHA input on the mother board. Any help?
Do you have a fan header closer to the front? It doesn't have to plug into the one labeled CHA.

wutwutwut

Let's talk about the Asus VG23AH. I understand you can see horizontal lines when looking through it with polarized lenses, and I'm super worried about this. I wear eyeglasses (without which I'm blind, so not wearing them is not an option). As far as I know my glasses are not polarized, but they do have a glare-reducing filter meant for computers.

I can't find any in a store near me, nor with any of my friends. Should I roll the dice?

I'm wondering whether I should order one from Amazon and just return it if I see the horizontal lines. Amazon has pretty good return policies, right?

conBLACK

Neo Member

Blizzard

Banned
A comparison

Prime 95, 15 minutes, no overclock, no Hyper 212
http://i.imgur.com/4BQ6dYw.jpg

Prime 95, 15 minutes, no overclock, yes Hyper 212
http://i.imgur.com/ZkipLXi.jpg
Yeesh, I wonder if I put too much thermal stuff. With a Hyper 212 I'm like just under 40C idle and just under 60C playing Mirror's Edge for an hour or so, 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz.

GPU-Z says my 770 is idling at 30C, which is nice. I am envious of the 4GB GDDR5 people already though, less money for a 760 with that probably beats my 770. :p I suppose that's the eternal march of technology, though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeesh, I wonder if I put too much thermal stuff. With a Hyper 212 I'm like just under 40C idle and just under 60C playing Mirror's Edge for an hour or so, 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz.

GPU-Z says my 770 is idling at 30C, which is nice. I am envious of the 4GB GDDR5 people already though, less money for a 760 with that probably beats my 770. :p I suppose that's the eternal march of technology, though.
It's Ivy it's fine.

I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon but I'm not too sure what I should be upgrading first. I got this build a little over two years ago and it plays most games on med-high settings but that'll probably change in the upcoming year.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3
CPU: Intel i5 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
RAM: 4GB DDR3

So what should my priorities be?

I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon but I'm not too sure what I should be upgrading first. I got this build a little over two years ago and it plays most games on med-high settings but that'll probably change in the upcoming year.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3
CPU: Intel i5 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
RAM: 4GB DDR3

So what should my priorities be?

GPU and RAM. How much RAM can your mothervpard handle? 8GB or 16GB. 8 is enouhh for gaming. Then look for a good and within your price range Video card. Also remember that with a good GPU you need a higher PSU.

GPU and RAM. How much RAM can your mothervpard handle? 8GB or 16GB. 8 is enouhh for gaming. Then look for a good and within your price range Video card. Also remember that with a good GPU you need a higher PSU.

It supports up to 16GB. I'm not too familiar with the PSU. I currently have a 650W Corsair PSU. Would I need to upgrade to a 800W PSU if I were to upgrade my GPU to say a GTX 760?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It supports up to 16GB. I'm not too familiar with the PSU. I currently have a 650W Corsair PSU. Would I need to upgrade to a 800W PSU if I were to upgrade my GPU to say a GTX 760?
Your 650W is more than enough. Upgrading to a GTX 760 would be like adding 2 HDDs in power consumption.

Also overclock your CPU to 3.6Ghz at least.
Is it wise to check if all my components are working before applying the thermal paste and cpu cooler on my cpu?
Doesn't matter, but can make it easier to move around if you need to troubleshoot.

Sober

My RAM is rated ddr3-1600 but I had to override them to that speed as they were 1333 ... should I be concerned?

And what is the driver cleaning utility people are using now? Or is DriverSweeper enough?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My RAM is rated ddr3-1600 but I had to override them to that speed as they were 1333 ... should I be concerned?

And what is the driver cleaning utility people are using now? Or is DriverSweeper enough?
Setting manual is fairly normal, no problem. Just make sure the timings and voltage are also correctly set.

Shouldn't need to anymore, but I use CCleaner anyway. DriverSweeper if you have issues.

kharma45

My 7850 is finally being returned from MSI. RMA service I think will be the main deciding factor in my next GPU, being without it for 4 weeks (5 by the time it actually arrives) is pretty crap.

Gigabyte probably will by next OEM, them or KFA2 or EVGA.

gribbles

Banned
Hey guys, I need some advice on whether or not my card is faulty and if I should RMA it. I recently purchased a GTX 670 for a really good price, and while it's worked perfectly fine in some games (like Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider), in other games I get really weird graphical glitches and even crashes. For example

- in the FF14 ARR Beta, every 10-15 minutes of gameplay the framerate in my game slows to a crawl (from 80 fps to roughly 10fps) and then CTDs.
- in Neverwinter Online, I get this really annoying flickering effect at the bottom of the screen where the experience bar is.
- in The Secret World, the game crashes with an "Out of Memory" error roughly every hour of gameplay or so.

I've tested the card with both the stock drivers that came with the card (310.90) as well as the 314.22 drivers that others have been recommending, but I still get the same problems with both, leading me to believe that this may be a faulty hardware issue. And no, I haven't overclocked it at all, its running at stock speeds, same as my CPU. Should I go ahead and RMA it or not?

Thorgal

Friend wants to upgrade his PC .

Currently he's contemplating between buying a titan or waiting for the 800 series.

He is heavily into modding (skyrim etc..)

what would be best ?

Addnan

Friend wants to upgrade his PC .

Currently he's contemplating between buying a titan or waiting for the 800 series.

He is heavily into modding (skyrim etc..)

what would be best ?
800 is a long way off and we have no real idea how performance will compare.

Whats a solid brand to get for a 780?

And is a 780 a solid card that will last a while?

I'm just not happy at all with my 7950 at all and refuse to buy an AMD again.

Addnan

Whats a solid brand to get for a 780?

And is a 780 a solid card that will last a while?

I'm just not happy at all with my 7950 at all and refuse to buy an AMD again.

780 is an amazing card. If you get reference design (Titan cooler) get whichever has the best warranty in your country. Otherwise Asus Direct CU II and Gigabyte windforce are both great coolers.

Kydd BlaZe

Another quick question. I plan on using my current 50 inch LCD to hook my PC up to once I get it up and running. Now, this TV only has a refresh rate of 60hz. I know with the specs of my new rig, I'll be able to run games like BioShock Infinite at 120 fps. Will my TV even be able to support games at that framerate, seeing as it only has a refresh rate of 60hz as opposed to 120hz?

Raymo

Another quick question. I plan on using my current 50 inch LCD to hook my PC up to once I get it up and running. Now, this TV only has a refresh rate of 60hz. I know with the specs of my new rig, I'll be able to run games like BioShock Infinite at 120 fps. Will my TV even be able to support games at that framerate, seeing as it only has a refresh rate of 60hz as opposed to 120hz?

It will display the games at 60 fps for anything your PC is outputting >60fps. I've heard that some 3D TV's can be overclocked to display 120fps if you really need that framerate.

Are you playing on that TV with a controller or M/KB? I personally think you can get away with lower framerates when using a controller. So, 60 would be fine in that case.

Kydd BlaZe

It will display the games at 60 fps for anything your PC is outputting >60fps.

Are you playing on that TV with a controller or M/KB? I personally think you can get away with lower framerates when using a controller. So, 60 would be fine in that case.

I'll be using a 360 controller. But hold on a sec, are you saying that it won't even display 60fps properly on this TV?

Raymo

I'll be using a 360 controller. But hold on a sec, are you saying that it won't even display 60fps properly on this TV?

No, I'm saying your GPU might be rendering 120 fps but your TV will only be displaying that at 60 fps. You can turn on vsync and your GPU will render at 60 fps with no tearing. I would recommend that as you don't want to overwork your GPU.

Kydd BlaZe

No, I'm saying your GPU might be rendering 120 fps but your TV will only be displaying that at 60 fps. You can turn on vsync and your GPU will render at 60 fps with no tearing. I would recommend that as you don't want to overwork your GPU.

Ah. Ok gotcha. Thanks, bro.

Danj

When I was installing the 212 evo, I fucked up and dropped too much paste. I swabbed it off with some q-tips but I only used 70% isopropyl to remove what was left.

Does that heatsink and fan come with its own thermal paste, or did you have to provide your own?

Thorgal

If money isn't an issue and he likes modding then a Titan seems like a good bet. Can install 256 high-res texture mods and still have VRAM left over.

That is one of the reasons me and him are considering getting a titan. :b

660 2 GB is not cutting it by a long mile.

Well that and the fact that it is the strongest GPU out now .

I see it like this : You pay a lot of cash for it but you will be settled for a long time to come.

Just to be sure : Can my current system handle a titan without bottle necking or needanything that would need to be upgraded ?

i7 3770 quad core
Coolermaster case CHIEFTEC
power supply 550w
16 GB ram
HD 2tb
motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
GTX 660 2GB
Windows 7

kennah

That is one of the reasons me and him are considering getting a titan. :b

660 2 GB is not cutting it by a long mile.

Well that and the fact that it is the strongest GPU out now .

I see it like this : You pay a lot of cash for it but you will be settled for a long time to come.

Just to be sure : Can my current system handle a titan without bottle necking or needanything that would need to be upgraded ?

i7 3770 quad core
Coolermaster case CHIEFTEC
power supply 550w
16 GB ram
HD 2tb
motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
GTX 660 2GB
Windows 7

Powers supply might not be able to handle it. Also you sadly have a non-overclockable processor (unless you just didn't put the K). So the processor will hold you back a little bit.

I ordered Windows 7 from Amazon but it won't be getting here for another 5-8 days. I'd like to be up and running before then. My friend said I can download the ISO and install Windows that way, and it will give me a grace period before I have to enter my key? If that's true it would be pretty cool, since I could load my programs and stuff without having to wait for the key to get here.

tauke

I ordered Windows 7 from Amazon but it won't be getting here for another 5-8 days. I'd like to be up and running before then. My friend said I can download the ISO and install Windows that way, and it will give me a grace period before I have to enter my key? If that's true it would be pretty cool, since I could load my programs and stuff without having to wait for the key to get here.

Windows will give you 30 days to activate the key so you should be fine in setting it up earlier by downloading the ISO.

If possible, setup the ISO on a USB flash drive. It install much more quicker than from a DVD.

I was going to upgrade right before BF4 to a 4770k and a GTX780, two Samsung 840 Pros in RAID. Mobo and RAM will be needed, too.

Now I'm getting antsy and wondering if I should just do it now. With only a few months, how much cheaper is that hardware really going to get? I don't expect any official price cuts before then. Does anyone else?

Granted, my current setup is pretty good: 2600k, GTX 590, two Corsair Force GT SSDs in RAID, but I figure I can get a decent amount selling those and take a nice chunk out of the total price for the new equipment.

The 590 is starting to show its age a bit. I just got a 30" monitor and some of the newer games on 2560x1600 dip below 30fps on max settings. I figure I can resolve that and be ready for BF4, but I've normally been the kind of person who, whenever I decide to upgrade, force myself to wait a few more months after that.

Should I wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom