• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kydd BlaZe

There's room for both.
Yeah, I'm still picking up a PS4 this fall, and may get an Xbox One sometime next year. I'd hate to miss out on any console exclusives.

Get a 360 controller and a long ass HDMI cable (depending...) and you can still have a console style experience on vastly superior hardware and content delivery system.

That's the plan. My PC is going to be hooked up to my 50 inch LCD in my entertainment set up. Definitely grabbing a 360 contoller for the PC, and once the Xbox One controllers are available I'll switch over to that.

I'm looking into a new build, but I keep kind of balking at the price for what I'm trying to build and I'm looking to shave some off the top by waiting on a new video card purchase. How crippled am I going to be by trying to sit on my current card (a Radeon HD 6870) for another six to nine months? I would say the most GPU-intensive title I'm looking at playing in that window is probably PlanetSide 2, and I don't need it running with full bells and whistles. I'm targeting an i7-3770k for a chip (I do some video work on and off for friends).

Planetside 2 is not a very gpu demanding game, all it needs is a super high clocked high end intel cpu.

A 6870 will be fine to play on high @45-60 fps with most of the bells and whistles.

Addnan

so I'm in the process of looking for parts for my first gaming desktop. My current budget is $875 and I'm located in the U.S. for reference. my desktop is going to be used for gaming(with graphics between medium and high/ 60FPS) and designing games for the unity engine in the future. The games that i want to play would be games that come out later this year and earlier. So, here's what I have so far:

CPU:intel i7-3770k ivy bridge 3.5Ghz LGA 1155

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

GPU: EVGA 02G-P3-2639-KR GeForce GT 630 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

so, am I doing it right so far GAF? If so, what power supply and motherboard would you recommend for it?

it's the 4770k and I found it on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

okay, how the fuck did that happen, i could have sworn it said 4770k. anyways, updated the list.

Check out the OP. Theres a very good build for the $800# range.

The GT630 is not a gaming card, with a budget of $875you might be able to squeeze a 760 into it.

Fill out the questions in the OP

Mad Max

A couple of days ago I managed to find a suitable vise for delidding my 4670k: so I decided it was time to just get it over with.

First I practiced on an old P4 northwood I found in my personal PC scapyard, to get a bit of a feel for it:
Tpb7p5e.jpg

It took quite a few hits to get the lid to pop off, probably because I was a bit too soft on it at first. After a while I gave it a good whack and the PCB went airborne and landed directly onto the pins, messing up a row or 2 of them :D. However the CPU did actually work after I spent 5 minutes bending everything back, so I was pleased.

Today I opened up my main rig to take out the 4670k. But I was somewhat careless while removing the cpu and it slipped from my fingers, and of course the cpu just had to land directly onto the mobo's socket pins, bending about 3 or 4 of them pretty badly.. After cursing for a bit and removing the mobo from my case I was able to bend them back with some patience and a tiny screwdriver though. The PC booted fine after that. :p
So I proceded further: first I removed the cpu retention bracket and installed the direct to die mounting parts.

After that I decided to finally take care of the CPU.

I had to cpu attached to the vise with some electrical tape this time, to prevent it from being launched. Giving the CPU 3 good whacks made it pop of nicely, without anything getting thrown around this time:

A quick removal of (most) glue and thermal paste with nailpolish remover resulted in this:

I put the cpu back into the socket and secured it with electrical tape to provide a bit of retention.

Then I put everything back in the case. I used 4 pieces of 0.5mm thickness thermal pad to make sure the cooler goes on straight. The TIM used is promilatech PK1.

After all of this I put the supremacy back onto the cpu, making sure the pressure was evenly divided.

After getting all cables and ram back into the system I pushed to power button on the mobo, and to my suprise the PC booted immediately, I didn't even have to mess around with the mounting pressure.

When windows had booted up I decided to test my settings for an earlier 4.7GHz overclock, which had resulted in average temps of >90°C in prime 95 small fft. However this time core temps stayed around the 70°C mark, which gives a ~20°C improvement, much better than I expected.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the results of delidding so far, and using the vise method the process was actually quite simple.

Mad Max

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing that.

Did you get the EK delid kit?

Thanks.

And yeah I got their mounting kit. It's nothing crazy, but for €4 it saves you the trouble of having to modify the standard mounting screws to account for the missing heatspreader.

Danj

Get a 360 controller and a long ass HDMI cable (depending...) and you can still have a console style experience on vastly superior hardware and content delivery system.

Oh that's a good point, I should buy a 360 wireless controller for Windows if I do an SFF PC build.

Kydd BlaZe

terribad in all shooters confirmed
Lol oh I know I'm gonna get rocked in the PC competitive multiplayer scene. Luckily I'll still have a PS4 to scratch that itch lol. I probably won't play too much multiplayer on the PC because I know I suck balls with kb&m, and I'll be going up against kb&m gods with a damn controller, lulz.

Addnan

Lol oh I know I'm gonna get rocked in the PC competitive multiplayer scene. Luckily I'll still have a PS4 to scratch that itch lol. I probably won't play too much multiplayer on the PC because I know I suck balls with kb&m, and I'll be going up against kb&m gods with a damn controller, lulz.

It starts hard, but you get the hang of it.

Kydd BlaZe

It starts hard, but you get the hang of it.
I appreciate the precision that the mouse provides, but I can just never get the hang of controlling the character's movement with WASD. It just feels...wrong to me, idk. I guess I'm just so used to analog input,

Zezboob

Hi guys, I have a little question to those who have a Z87-G45 motherboard.

Does it keep charging USB devices when the computer is off? (using the OS, not speaking about powering off the power supply)

Currently my motherboard (a Gigabyte) keeps all my USB devices on after I shut down my PC, and I really hate it.

I can't find anything about it in the manual.

Thank you in advance.
Quoting for (if lucky) answers. =)

I read that Asus Z87-A keeps USB on after shutting down. Maybe disabling the USB charger+ function resolves this issue.

But I'm still interested to know about the MSI Z87-G45.

Bumhead

Banned
Got a bit of an issue with my rig and a microphone.

Trying to hook one up for some voice chat and my PC isn't having any of it. Won't even recognise one exists. Tried plugging it into the jack at the front of my case and tried it on all the jacks at the rear on the motherboard, but no dice.

One thing that may or may not be key is that I don't have a sound card installed. I was advised it was an unnecessary expense when I built my rig and so I don't have one. Do I in order to voice chat? Or should I be able to run a mic from the motherboard?

Tried some Googling but not having much luck.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

I was worried about this too... but I'm totally destroying folks in PC BF3 Team DM. The feeling of the precise, assist-free aiming is amazing.

Is there any way to just buy a Windows 7 key without having to purchase a disk? I really don't want to give Best Buy any more business than I have to (if they even have it — I hear they mostly push Windows 8 now) and I don't want to have to order a disk online and wait for it to arrive.

kennah

Is there any way to just buy a Windows 7 key without having to purchase a disk? I really don't want to give Best Buy any more business than I have to (if they even have it — I hear they mostly push Windows 8 now) and I don't want to have to order a disk online and wait for it to arrive.

Hmm... I might have a spare if you're not sketched out by that.

EDIT: I do indeed have a spare. PM me if you want.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Build done! :D

Parts arrived yesterday, building into the R4 was a dream, except for one fact that is easily missed. The Corsair H90, despite having a "140mm" radiator won't fit properly in the rear exhaust fan spot, the extra depth of the radiator doesn't allow it to fit properly, it could be placed there upside down, with the tubing to the top, but this is less than ideal as this leads the very top of the radiator, where any air would eventually settle, to be the feed into the tubing, so air would continue to circulate. I ended up using the top exhaust rather than the rear exhaust just to be safe.

As far as the Haswell chip lottery goes, how does 4.2Ghz at 1.10v sound? =D

jmMkGxz.jpg

AIDA64 stress test tops out at 59 degrees C, and that with both Noctuas using the Low Noise Adapters =D

Tried at 4.5Ghz, could do that on 1.2v but the temps would have meant sacrificing the silence I want so 4.2Ghz and silent is plenty good enough for my needs.

My old PC (i5-750 & AMD 7750) could manage 40 frames per second in Planetside 2 with everything on medium and no AA, my new build does everything on high/ultra with 4xAA at 90 frames per second. (sorry mkenyon! :p)

The MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr really is silent too,I mean really silent, very impressed!

Seanspeed

Banned
Is it pointless to get a ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms monitor using a msi 770 twin frozr gaming video card?
You'd probably have to sacrifice on the settings if you're playing a demanding game.

Its not pointless, you just have to figure out what your priorities are.

Sober

Done with my build and installing windows now. Quick question ... When I was installing the 212 evo, I fucked up and dropped too much paste. I swabbed it off with some q-tips but I only used 70% isopropyl to remove what was left.

My bios says that the CPU (Haswell) is sitting around the 45C mark when I started it up. My room is a little warmer than the other rooms in my house but should I be worried and try buying something to clean the CPU and try again?

rybrad

I asked this in the mechanical keyboard thread but figured I would give it a shot here too. Has anyone had experience switching from Cherry Blue to Cherry Red switches?

I am currently using a Rosewill KB with Cherry Blue switches and am getting a Corsair K70 for my new build but they only come with Cherry Red switches right now. I really like the Blues and I use my computer for work about the same amount as gaming so I am concerned about switching. I picked up a sample switch kit from WASD keyboards but it is pretty hard to gauge the change with just one switch. If anyone has switched and has opinions I would love to here them.

t-ramp

Done with my build and installing windows now. Quick question ... When I was installing the 212 evo, I fucked up and dropped too much paste. I swabbed it off with some q-tips but I only used 70% isopropyl to remove what was left.

My bios says that the CPU (Haswell) is sitting around the 45C mark when I started it up. My room is a little warmer than the other rooms in my house but should I be worried and try buying something to clean the CPU and try again?
Idle doesn't mean much. If you cleaned it off and reapplied it correctly, it's probably fine. Run a stress test and you'll have something more useful to go from.

Roland1979

I don't even. . . I've never met someone in the esports world who has said a single kind thing about the DeathAdder.

I will speak frankly. The DeathAdder is a piece of shit that falls apart constantly. It is in fact representative of the very thing most people give Razer crap about. It's used as a joke. The sensor is meh.

Sensei is king.

I don't know if it's one of those things that's popular to hate on or there's a base to it (probably is), and i can't speak about build quality. But i read almost nothing but good things about it. If the sensor is so bad then why does it get reported and tested often as good. In other words what is bad about it? And saying things like "Sensei is king" (even though it might be good) makes me a little uncomfortable. There are probably many good mice out there. Maybe it is the best, but i would like it see backed up by facts if possible.

Razer DeathAdder 2013 Gaming Mouse test
Seems there's a updated version of the DeathAdder, know idea if they made any real improvements.

I ended up getting a Razer Mamba used instead of the Sensei or Deathadder.

ibmSJGz0htZnWc.gif

Seriously, i'll give it some time to adjust but I'm worried that I can't adjust. I guess thats what happens when you are use to a design for a decade. It feels so foreign, I can't seem to get the sensitivity right and the weight is much different than my G500. I miss being able to toggle scroll speeds and just wiz down web pages. Also the back and forward buttons aren't as good as the G500.

I made another mistake by installing the drivers before plugging in the mouse, it doesn't really show up in the hardware device list, instead its just generic HID controller. For those who own this mouse, how do you know what firmware its on because I downloaded 1.13 and in the config settings it shows 1.13 but I suspect its just reading the installer and not the actual mouse firmware.

And lastly, is it better to use max dpi with a lower windows sensitivity or medium and medium? I have no idea how some people use anything over 4k.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
New monitor has a stuck (bright green) pixel. :(

Anybody have any success getting rid of one of these? All the solutions I'm reading for them sound like wacky folk remedies. I guess I'll run a seizure video overnight to see if that does anything.

Dave_6

What can I use to monitor my CPU temps when playing a game? I did a quick OC of my 3570K but I have no idea what it is doing now. :/

t-ramp

What can I use to monitor my CPU temps when playing a game? I did a quick OC of my 3570K but I have no idea what it is doing now. :/
I don't know what you can use to monitor your CPU temperature while in-game, but I usually just leave HWMonitor up while playing for a bit and check the max temp afterward, or Alt-Tab.

brentech

I don't know what you can use to monitor your CPU temperature while in-game, but I usually just leave HWMonitor up while playing for a bit and check the max temp afterward, or Alt-Tab.
Yea. This, regardless of what monitoring app you use. I do the same with GPU-Z for GPU temps.

Dave_6

That will work; just something that will show me what it is running at.

Roland1979

And lastly, is it better to use max dpi with a lower windows sensitivity or medium and medium? I have no idea how some people use anything over 4k.

Never change Windows sensitivity. From what i understand it's not linear but exponential, making it totally unreliable. leave it at default. what should be the sixth notch. Also make sure that "Enhance pointer precision" is OFF. So use higher DPI settings if necessary.

Azzurri

So I finally OC'ed my 2500k to 4.4 on my closed loop Corsair liquid cooler. So far so good, nothing to extreme, but should help performance along with my new Asus DCIIOC 780 GTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom