• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

Would, say, a Phenom II X4 965 BE bottleneck a GTX 660? I currently have a GTX 460 768MB (built this rig right when the 460's came out, and the 1GB versions were much harder to find), and I've been thinking about upgrading in the near future when I get some cash. My 460 serves me well for right now since my monitor only goes up to 1440x900, but I plan on getting a 1080P monitor soon, as well.

OC'd to 4GHz, I don't think so imo.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Hey GAF,

Well my house got robbed and I think Im going to get a good money from the insurance

So I have been thinkin in buidling a badass desktop instead of a good laptop:

Here what Im up to

CPU: Intel Core i7-447 3.4Ghz
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
RAM: 16 gigs Corsari dominator platinium A2400C10
DVD burner
SSD Corsair 128GB
Western Digital 1tb disk
Video card: GTX770 2gigs Asus
PSU:Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W
Case: Thermal TAke TT chaser mk -1

Optional: Liquid Cooling

I want to know if Im missing something or overkilling some specs. I want to use it for design, and playing games for a long time :p

Let me know what you think!

Something doesn't add up with my performance with Bioshock Infinite. I have i3-2100, HD5850 and 8GB DDR3. At 1600x900, all maxed except for postprocessing (using Normal instead of Alternative), I get 60-80FPS. I checked some benchmarks for the game and found that I should only get roughly 30-35FPS.

Turning on Alternative post processing drops it to around 45-50FPS.

DKF590

Would, say, a Phenom II X4 965 BE bottleneck a GTX 660? I currently have a GTX 460 768MB (built this rig right when the 460's came out, and the 1GB versions were much harder to find), and I've been thinking about upgrading in the near future when I get some cash. My 460 serves me well for right now since my monitor only goes up to 1440x900, but I plan on getting a 1080P monitor soon, as well.

I was using a Phenom II X4 955 at 4.0ghz with a 7850 for about a year and I really did feel the bottleneck at 1080p in certain games. I would say it really depends on the games/genres you play though. In MMO's, SC2, and other CPU intensive games I doubled my framerate by upgrading to a 2500k at 4.5ghz. I will say that overall it did handle the vast majority of stuff I threw at it, but being locked at low FPS in some titles was a huge bummer.

Windam

Scaley member
I was using a Phenom II X4 955 at 4.0ghz with a 7850 for about a year and I really did feel the bottleneck at 1080p in certain games. I would say it really depends on the games/genres you play though. In MMO's, SC2, and other CPU intensive games I doubled my framerate by upgrading to a 2500k at 4.5ghz. I will say that overall it did handle the vast majority of stuff I threw at it, but being locked at low FPS in some titles was a huge bummer.

Currently going through The Witcher 2, then I'll be going on to Dark Souls. They run extremely well on my rig right now, and I don't want to upgrade my video card and monitor then have (big) performance dips. (I do love me some MMOs, too. I can just never commit to them, though. :/)

mkenyon

Banned
Hey GAF,

Well my house got robbed and I think Im going to get a good money from the insurance

So I have been thinkin in buidling a badass desktop instead of a good laptop:

Here what Im up to

CPU: Intel Core i7-447 3.4Ghz
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
RAM: 16 gigs Corsari dominator platinium A2400C10
DVD burner
SSD Corsair 128GB
Western Digital 1tb disk
Video card: GTX770 2gigs Asus
PSU:Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W
Case: Thermal TAke TT chaser mk -1

Optional: Liquid Cooling

I want to know if Im missing something or overkilling some specs. I want to use it for design, and playing games for a long time :p

Let me know what you think!
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
16 gigs of DDR3 1600 (you won't notice a difference unless you are benching as a pastime)
250 or 500GB Samsung 840 or Crucial M500 (no HDD)
GTX780
Seasonic G Series 650, or X650 PSU
Fractal Arc Midi R2

That's a much better system for around the same money. Thermaltake PSUs and Cases are sub-par. Memory is memory unless you are benching. Sabertooth doesn't offer a single feature outside of aesthetics over the MSI G45. Big SSD for all your games and needs is fucking rad, and those two 500GB SSD's are often found for $300-320. 780 is a 780, nuff said there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this, but I'm having problems with my new Asus 7970 DCII.

Can anyone tell me if this is just an ATI driver issue or do I have a faulty card?

Here is a screenshot I took of the WoW login page. This also happens to Guild Wars 2.
I already turned off my overclocks and tried tampering with the settings of each game.

I just wanted to be sure before I send it back in for RMA. Thanks in advance.
Looks like artifacting to me. You can try raising your voltage and lowering your memory to below stock if you want to keep using it in while you setup an RMA.

DKF590

Currently going through The Witcher 2, then I'll be going on to Dark Souls. They run extremely well on my rig right now, and I don't want to upgrade my video card and monitor then have (big) performance dips. (I do love me some MMOs, too. I can just never commit to them, though. :/)

You won't really have to worry about getting any performance dips, you just may not be able to get a full 60 fps. That's not to say that extra video power is wasted though, even though I was capped at like 35 FPS in Tera with the 965 I was still able to downsample from 2560x1440 with basically no performance hit. I would say it's still worth the upgrade as long as your expectations are in check.

snack

Today my desktop died on me...

I am running a MSI 790fxgd70 mobo with a x4 955 and I tried booting it up today but it wouldn't. It would not post and showed "FF" on the motherboard. It just loops over and over restarting the computer and does not actually boot into windows. I googled the error "FF" and it has to do with the cpu chip.

What's a good bang for buck CPU to replace it with. The motherboard looks like it can take AM2, AM3(+)?

Addnan

Hello yall.
Im in pretty bad need of an upgraded computer at this point. I made this list of my current computer which cant even play gianna sisters on Steam. It bottlenecks everywhere and chokes on everything. Its just really a pain in the ass at this point.

This was an Acer prebuilt computer.

Current Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 2.3 ghz / 1.75 useable RAM / Motherboard - N/A/ GPU (Graphics) - some basic piece of shit card that came with it / PSU (Power Supply) - N/A/ Case / HDD (Hard Drive) - 500 GB HDD

Budget: whatever / USA

Main Use: about a 3. Light gaming, mostly web browsing and playing/emulating older games, using skype, art programs, and generally not having to click and pray every fucking time. Would like a huge amount of ram if possible. Several GBs.

Monitor Resolution: I have monitors.

Use all new parts. no carryovers except maybe whats on the HDD's. I do want windows 7 and I think I have one more license to use. I dont want 8 on this.

When will you build?: ASAP. I want a new computer soon.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

The main thing is I want a computer that can do what people generally ask of one with a minimum of fuss. I dont need a monster beast gaming computer. Something that can play the latest Sim city or some steam games is fine. Just give me something that isnt a slouch but wont be ludicrously expensive.
So, do you have a budget? The $500 build in the OP will be able to do what you want.

kharma45

I did some more research and it seems like we're both right. CX non-modular are Chinese made with Samxon caps but the CX modular appear to be Japanese caps.

Modular ones seem OK, I'll have a look a them and see if they all carry the JP stuff or whether it's just the higher end ones.

Fresh Windows 8 reformat. Feels good. They made it really easy in W8. Don't need a disc or anything. General settings, restart PC, click a few more prompts and it starts the process.

8 is da bestest.

Get it overclocked and it'll be fine.

Hello yall.
Im in pretty bad need of an upgraded computer at this point. I made this list of my current computer which cant even play gianna sisters on Steam. It bottlenecks everywhere and chokes on everything. Its just really a pain in the ass at this point.

This was an Acer prebuilt computer.

Current Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 2.3 ghz / 1.75 useable RAM / Motherboard - N/A/ GPU (Graphics) - some basic piece of shit card that came with it / PSU (Power Supply) - N/A/ Case / HDD (Hard Drive) - 500 GB HDD

Budget: whatever / USA

Main Use: about a 3. Light gaming, mostly web browsing and playing/emulating older games, using skype, art programs, and generally not having to click and pray every fucking time. Would like a huge amount of ram if possible. Several GBs.

Monitor Resolution: I have monitors.

Use all new parts. no carryovers except maybe whats on the HDD's. I do want windows 7 and I think I have one more license to use. I dont want 8 on this.

When will you build?: ASAP. I want a new computer soon.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

The main thing is I want a computer that can do what people generally ask of one with a minimum of fuss. I dont need a monster beast gaming computer. Something that can play the latest Sim city or some steam games is fine. Just give me something that isnt a slouch but wont be ludicrously expensive.

Do you have an actual budget?

Today my desktop died on me...

I am running a MSI 790fxgd70 mobo with a x4 955 and I tried booting it up today but it wouldn't. It would not post and showed "FF" on the motherboard. It just loops over and over restarting the computer and does not actually boot into windows. I googled the error "FF" and it has to do with the cpu chip.

What's a good bang for buck CPU to replace it with. The motherboard looks like it can take AM2, AM3(+)?

By the looks of it you're limited only to the Phenom II range (and below) of CPUs like the Phenom II X4 965. The board doesn't have any support for AM3+ so you're limited in what you can stick in it.

I-hate-u

Hey peeps, after much deliberation I decided to go with a customized Cyberpower. I just want to get a check on the compatibility. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate Intel Z87 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Military Class 4, OC Genie II, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, 2 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2x PCI-e & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

All for $1241 including shipping. How is the rig?

kharma45

Hey peeps, after much deliberation I decided to go with a customized Cyberpower. I just want to get a check on the compatibility. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate Intel Z87 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Military Class 4, OC Genie II, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, 2 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2x PCI-e & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

All for $1241 including shipping. How is the rig?

Drop down to 8GB RAM unless you're doing media work like Photoshop etc., and use that money to upgrade the mobo to the G45 Gaming board, which in tandem with a good cooler like the Hyper 212 will let you get a decent overclock out of the 4770K. Even the merits of the 4770K are debatable if you're only gaming.

I-hate-u

Drop down to 8GB RAM unless you're doing media work like Photoshop etc., and use that money to upgrade the mobo to the G45 Gaming board, which in tandem with a good cooler like the Hyper 212 will let you get a decent overclock out of the 4770K. Even the merits of the 4770K are debatable if you're only gaming.

The only processers that are available for me to pick from:
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
Intel® Core™ i7-4770 3.40 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
Intel® Core™ i5-4670 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
Intel® Core™ i5-4430 3.00 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150

I am guessing I should go with the i5 4670k

kharma45

The only processers that are available for me to pick from:
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
Intel® Core™ i7-4770 3.40 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
Intel® Core™ i5-4670 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
Intel® Core™ i5-4430 3.00 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150

I am guessing I should go with the i5 4670k

If you're just gaming I would. Is it these guys you're ordering from? http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Z87_i5_Configurator

Did the idea of NCIX not appeal to do a DIY build for you?

I-hate-u

If you're just gaming I would. Is it these guys you're ordering from? http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Z87_i5_Configurator

Yes. Specifically this model: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_3000/

Unfortunately the doesn't show my customized options but just here are my revised specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified) [-104]
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [-59] (G.SKILL Ripjaws X [+16])
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Intel Z87 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Military Class 4, OC Genie II, 7.1 Sound Blaster Cinema Audio, Killer E2205 GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe x16 & 4 PCIe x1 (Extreme OC Certified) [+100]
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+182] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

My biggest worry is compatibility. I really hope all components work together.

How can I tell if my CPU is bottlenecking me? I have a i5 750 overclocked to 3.1Ghz and a GTX 770 4GB. When I'm playing games Afterburner overlay says GPU% isn't 100%, so I'm thinking I should OC to 4Ghz, but it's summer so I'd prefer not to if it isn't a major bottleneck.

Danj

Don't you just hate it when you make a big order and then your bank's auto fraud protection trips and the payment is declined.

TGMIII

Guys am I crazy for waiting to sell my current build:
i5 2500k
ASRock P67 Extreme 6
8GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
ATI HD6950 2GB

and upgrade to:
i7 3770k
GTX 770/HD7970
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
MSI Z77

This all started with me thinking about a new GPU but now I've got the idea of building a new system in my head.

Addnan

Guys am I crazy for waiting to sell my current build:
i5 2500k
ASRock P67 Extreme 6
8GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
ATI HD6950 2GB

and upgrade to:
i7 3770k
GTX 770
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
MSI Z77

This all started with me thinking about a new GPU but now I've got the idea of building a new system in my head.
Yes. 2500K is still a solid processor. Get the hyper 212 or if you already have an aftermarket cooler overclock that CPU to 4.3 or higher and upgrade the GPU.

TGMIII

Yes. 2500K is still a solid processor. Get the hyper 212 or if you already have an aftermarket cooler overclock that CPU to 4.3 or higher and upgrade the GPU.

I've got a DH-14 running on it. I know the idea of replacing it is kinda stupid but the idea of building a fresh system seems so nice.

Addnan

I've got a DH-14 running on it. I know the idea of replacing it is kinda stupid but the idea of building a fresh system seems so nice.

I get it, sometimes you just get that itch to upgrade.

Sandy to Ivy/Haswell is not a big step up. Have you considered Sandy-E. Could be fun if you like to tinker and there is an upgrade path to Ivy-e.

diaspora

7970 is a far better card than the 760. RAM does not = performance. Although I am not sure how great powercolor is. Don't have them over here, so never looked into that brand.

Ahh, the reason I mentioned the 760 is because it's less than 10% slower, but with more VRAM. Unless it's more than 10% slower in which case I've been lied to -_-

TGMIII

I get it, sometimes you just get that itch to upgrade.

Sandy to Ivy/Haswell is not a big step up. Have you considered Sandy-E. Could be fun if you like to tinker and there is an upgrade path to Ivy-e.

Thought about it around the time Sandy-E launched but decided against it in the end. I might just upgrade my GPU and be content with that at the moment.

Suggestions on quiet GPUs would be nice if anyone has any. My 6950 is killing me with the sound it emits under load.

Addnan

Ahh, the reason I mentioned the 760 is because it's less than 10% slower, but with more VRAM. Unless it's more than 10% slower in which case I've been lied to -_-
The 7970 will makes better use of that 3GB with the 384bit bus. 760 will be limited to the 256bit bus. For only $40 more I would get the 7970. Performance wise it will vary game to game, but it should be better than the 760 in pretty much every game. The 760 is a great buy, but if you can get the 7970 you should.

Thought about it around the time Sandy-E launched but decided against it in the end. I might just upgrade my GPU and be content with that at the moment.

Suggestions on quiet GPUs would be nice if anyone has any. My 6950 is killing me with the sound it emits under load.
Budget?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is there a big difference of performance between the i74770 and the K version ?

Addnan

I'd say £300 would be my limit but I'd be pushing towards £250/200 if possible. I'm just looking for something that'll handle 120hz/120fps without sounding like a jet engine.

760 at the lower end of the budget. Gigabyte windforce, MSI twin frozr and EVGA ACX models are all good option they are pretty quiet. At then higher end, the 7970ghz, 770 again same brands are all good.

Although the 120fps target will depends largely on the game you are playing. You won't be pulling 120fps in graphics heavy games with high settings!

TGMIII

760 at the lower end of the budget. Gigabyte windforce, MSI twin frozr and EVGA ACX models are all good option they are pretty quiet. At then higher end, the 7970ghz, 770 again same brands are all good.

Although the 120fps target will depends largely on the game you are playing. You won't be pulling 120fps in graphics heavy games with high settings!

I only really aim for 120 in singleplayer games and then 60 for MP games if I can't keep a stable 120.

I've actually got a Twin frozr III on my 6950 right now and it's super loud on most games. I thought it was a frame limiting issue at first as the card goes to 90c and the fans scream when I try and play STALKER yet if I boot up Battlefield 3 and play at high the card stays at 55c and the fans are almost silent. I'll take those suggestions into account though, thanks.

Jeb

So how important is it to get an SSD to compliment your HDD?
In comparison, what would you say to using that money to get an I7 over an I5?
I remember hearing somewhere that having your OS stored to the SDD is good for performance.

Addnan

So how important is it to get an SSD to compliment your HDD?
In comparison, what would you say to using that money to get an I7 over an I5?
I remember hearing somewhere that having your OS stored to the SDD is good for performance.

SSD is one of the best upgrade you can do to a computer. Makes the OS very fast and responsive. Everything just feels more snappy. We would rarely suggest an i7 for gaming, so yeah get and SSD. Unless you need an i7 for something you do.

Jeb

SSD is one of the best upgrade you can do to a computer. Makes the OS very fast and responsive. Everything just feels more snappy. We would rarely suggest an i7 for gaming, so yeah get and SDD. Unless you need an i7 for something you do.
Are you sure?
The reason I want an I7 is because next gen consoles are goin 8 core, and I hear the CPU could last you a lot longer than other stuff such as the GPU, if I go in next gen and games start demanding I make a quick change in CPU, it would suck.
What do you think? are my fears justified or not?
But I see the need for an SDD, fast OS would be great.

Addnan

Are you sure?
The reason I want an I7 is because next gen consoles are goin 8 core, and I hear the CPU could last you a lot longer than other stuff such as the GPU, if I go in next gen and games start demanding I make a quick change in CPU, it would suck.

Existing i5s are so much more powerful than anything in the new consoles, but of course that doesn't mean much when it comes to PC development. Right now an i5 is more than enough to run games. Whether devs will take advantage of i7s extra threads we have no way of knowing until they actually start doing so.

Smokey

Are you sure?

The thing about he i7 is it's not truly 8 cores, but rather 4 cores and 4 threads aka Hyper Threading. If you have an option for both obviously the i7 is better. Those threads can come in handy for a variety of applications. Either of these CPUs will last you a long while. They are leagues ahead of next gen CPUs in terms of performance.

Both of my HDD's are running about 40-42 degrees Celsius in a HTPC case under load. The issue right now is that there is no fan running on these HDD's but they are sitting under a vent where air can pass through. Should I consider moving the HDD's somewhere in my case where I can get air to them?

Willectro

Banned
Are you sure?

Assuming someone is primarily gaming, I think i5 vs. i7 largely boils down to how much you want to spend.

Both of my HDD's are running about 40-42 degrees Celsius in a HTPC case under load. The issue right now is that there is no fan running on these HDD's but they are sitting under a vent where air can pass through. Should I consider moving the HDD's somewhere in my case where I can get air to them?

I don't think those temps are anything to worry about.

Prozel

So I got my insurance money back after my room burned down back May, and while my room isn't ready yet I've already started to pick parts for my upcoming PC.

I've decided to go with 770 this time since I was really satisfied with my previous 680. However, this time there are more choices so I've boiled down to these three models:

http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/msi-n770-tf-2gd5-oc-2-gb-id-7355873.aspx

http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/...uperclocked-w-acx-cooler-2-gb-id-7358765.aspx

http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/gainward-geforce-gtx-770-phantom-2-gb-id-7366251.aspx

I apologize the sites are in danish, but model nr. are the same as usual. I've already read a few review of each model and I'm currently looking at the EVGA one, but I'd like a second opnion.

Thanks as always,

Are you sure?

You could always do what I did and buy your SSD later. Yes, I bought an i7 for some bragging rights and for a little video editing. With that said, my next computer must have an SSD from the start. Once you go SSD, you don't go back.

brentech

I've decided to go with 770 this time since I was really satisfied with my previous 680. However, this time there are more choices so I've boiled down to these three models:

I'm a fan of MSI's TF cards, they do a great job with cooling imo. EVGA is usually pretty well trusted around here as well.

Lethal

Neo Member
So I bought one of those Asus 144Hz monitors last weekend and have been using Lightboost through Strobelight.

Am I right in assuming this is the next best thing to a CRT when it comes to retro emulation? I haven't tried it yet but the difference I've noticed in 3D games is pretty crazy.

Frostburn

So I got my insurance money back after my room burned down back May, and while my room isn't ready yet I've already started to pick parts for my upcoming PC.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/msi-n770-tf-2gd5-oc-2-gb-id-7355873.aspx

http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/...uperclocked-w-acx-cooler-2-gb-id-7358765.aspx

http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/gainward-geforce-gtx-770-phantom-2-gb-id-7366251.aspx

I apologize the sites are in danish, but model nr. are the same as usual. I've already read a few review of each model and I'm currently looking at the EVGA one, but I'd like a second opnion.

Thanks as always,

I've got the EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked with ACX Cooling and I've been extremely satisfied so far.

I'm slowly putting together an ITX build. Does anyone have any thoughts on putting in a Gigabyte Z77n-WIFI motherboard instead of the recommended models?

I'm trying to keep my non-GPU costs down and will probably not be doing a lot of CPU overclocking. I'll be moving over an i5-2500k that hits 4ghz without a voltage increase and can't see myself pushing it any further.

So I bought one of those Asus 144Hz monitors last weekend and have been using Lightboost through Strobelight.

Am I right in assuming this is the next best thing to a CRT when it comes to retro emulation? I haven't tried it yet but the difference I've noticed in 3D games is pretty crazy.

Is it the 24 inch? How do you like it? Thinking about getting one tomorrow.

kennah

I'm slowly putting together an ITX build. Does anyone have any thoughts on putting in a Gigabyte Z77n-WIFI motherboard instead of the recommended models?

I'm trying to keep my non-GPU costs down and will probably not be doing a lot of CPU overclocking. I'll be moving over an i5-2500k that hits 4ghz without a voltage increase and can't see myself pushing it any further.
That should be fine. The gigabyte doesn't overclock very well is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom