• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

could someone tell me if i understand the Titan and 700 series GPU booster 2.0 function correctly:

Basically i could set my max temp at 80C°
Then adjust the voltage.

Set my fans to scale accordingly to temp and tell them to go crazy if the 80 C° line is crossed to try and keep it cool.

The result is the card will overklock itself until it reaches the preset temp and throttle itself when it goes past it..

have i got that right ?

also while on the subject . what would be the recommended max temp for a titan cooled with fans ?

Windam

Scaley member
Well, installing a new CPU didn't help my PC's BlueScreen errors. I think I'll just clean install Windows 7 right now. "AuthenticAMD" is still listed as the cause of the crash, and "WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT" also appears in the minidump file made by Windows. Gah. Before I try reinstalling, can anyone read dump files and make sense of them? :/

diaspora

xfmYsPx.png

I can only access 2GB of memory but task manager clearly says I have 4GB...

YjzcCBA.png

Even CPU-Z knows I have 4GB, despite me only having access to 2.

What is this. Why is this happening, I don't even. It works perfectly fine using DIMM 1 and 3, but when I move the stick from DIMM3 to DIMM2, I'll only have access to 2GB...

I'd let this go, but if I try going to 4x4GB for 16GB memory, I'm fucked.

Mad Max

The jump over 840 PRO doesn't seem too big for reading purposes only. I might just get that instead.

Just need something to throw Win7 on anyways.

The EVO is supposed to replace the regular 840 though, so when it comes out it should be cheaper than the PRO (or atleast after a while). The PRO might get a replacement as well though. Still you probably won't notice the difference between those even if you try. :p

As for myself: I'm still waiting for a 500GB model around ~€200 so I can phase out my 1TB spinpoint F3, although my 830 has served me well so far.

diehard

Fleer
I'd let this go, but if I try going to 4x4GB for 16GB memory, I'm fucked.

That's really strange but i would expect there are certain motherboards that will do weird things like that when setup with 2 dimm's in single channel.. I would be suprised if 4x4 didnt give you 16gb.

Try DIMM 2 and 4. If that is fine i bet you are good.

Zaph

Long story short, after almost a day of troubleshooting, I found the reason my computer was freezing every time it started loading windows was my graphics card. I reseated it and reinstalled the drivers and now everything seems fine (touch wood).

I want to make sure it's not a reoccurring hardware fault, so what do you guys recommend for stress-testing a GTX 670?

Addnan

Long story short, after almost a day of troubleshooting, I found the reason my computer was freezing every time it started loading windows was my graphics card. I reseated it and reinstalled the drivers and now everything seems fine (touch wood).

I want to make sure it's not a reoccurring hardware fault, so what do you guys recommend for stress-testing a GTX 670?
Play games. Run benchmarks like heaven or 3d mark.

Nachtmaer

There's FurMark to stress GPUs, but there's no game that will put that amount of load on your GPU. If it can handle FurMark, it can handle anything. However, like Addnan said, just run demanding games or benchmarks.

Zaph

Play games. Run benchmarks like heaven or 3d mark.

There's FurMark to stress GPUs, but there's no game that will put that amount of load on your GPU. If it can handle FurMark, it can handle anything. However, like Addnan said, just run demanding games or benchmarks.
Thanks guys. Don't have much time to play games at home right now, so I was hoping there's something I could leave looping in the morning before I go to work.

Will check out FurMark.

Mubbed

For emulation go with Haswell, seems to provide a decent improvement over Ivy. What I have come up with. Just add an OS if you need it and it should be around your budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($155.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($216.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.84 @ Expansys Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.35 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.50 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1445.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-21 02:57 EDT-0400)
I forgot to mention that I'll need the desktop to have wireless functionality. What are the best methods to achieve that (would I need to implement it during the building process)?

mkenyon

Banned
Took me awhile but finally put the finishing touches on my build this afternoon. Thanks for answering some of my questions while doing the build. It started as me wanting to finally OC my i5 2500k and ended in a complete rebuild, only the i5 2500k remains now. Really happy with how this turned out, powerful and somehow quieter than my R3 build that had a GTX 560 in it.

i5 2500k
Corsair H100i
Asus Maximus Gene V
Asus GTX 780
Corsair 780i Power Supply
Corsair Vengence
Corsair 350D Case
Tons of Corsair fans

WP_20130725_011_zps3f7cd126.jpg

WP_20130725_013_zps389f379d.jpg
1) Build looks fantastic. Great parts, and super pretty.

2) Not to be the nitpick guy, but your fans on your front radiator are both blowing at each other, so the only air that is getting out is somehow leaking out through the pressure caused on each side.

---Fan-->|Rad|<--Fan---

Is how you have it setup. You'll want to flip around the fans that are on the inside to maintain positive pressure. Your temps should dramatically improve.

Built a pc about a year and half ago(for video/photo editing). Anyways.. I never really used it for gaming. Never got steam.. Question is..( I got a i5 2500k, 560ti, 80gb ssd, 2tb drive, 16gb ram..) can my pc run good games, or should I upgrade my card?

kennah

Built a pc about a year and half ago(for video/photo editing). Anyways.. I never really used it for gaming. Never got steam.. Question is..( I got a i5 2500k, 560ti, 80gb ssd, 2tb drive, 16gb ram..) can my pc run good games, or should I upgrade my card?

Your CPU is solid, just upgrade your video card and you're laughing.

Even then your current card isn't tooooo bad, and can easily run most games.

Your CPU is solid, just upgrade your video card and you're laughing.

Even then your current card isn't tooooo bad, and can easily run most games.

One more. I installed the os and adobe suite(well all my programs) on the ssd. Should I install games on the ssd or use the other drive? Amazing how I know nothing about computers, built one, and still know nothing about what it can do.. or how to use it.

kennah

One more. I installed the os and adobe suite(well all my programs) on the ssd. Should I install games on the ssd or use the other drive? Amazing how I know nothing about computers, built one, and still know nothing about what it can do.. or how to use it.

Nah, you did everything right. OS and most used apps go on the SSD. Games get a tiny boost from an SSD but it's mostly just load times. You can use something like SteamMover to move just the games you're playing onto the SSD and then off again when you aren't.

So, just to be clear, if I install Windows 8 on my new build's hdd, then add in my old hdd that has Windows 7 on it (making sure the one with Windows 8 is set to boot first), I should be able to copy all of my files from the old hdd to the new hdd without any issues, correct? My friend was going to let me borrow his external drive but couldn't find it, so I'm hoping this will work out fine. I have my Steam data, game saves, and music mostly. The rest is just pictures and small stuff I could easily do with a flash drive if I need to.

Thought I'd ask again on a new page. Thanks.

Got an interesting question for you guys:

On a whim I bought a $350 Windows 8 tablet with an Intel Atom "Clovetrail" Z2760 in it and integrated PowerVR SGX545 GPU.

This thing can play modern DirectX 9 games at a blistering 2 FPS according to reviews. No, that's not a typo.

What I want to know is, how old a 3D PC game do I have to try get a playable framerate? From Wikipedia specs, I know the GPU is about 5 times more powerful than the one in the Dreamcast if I go by MPixel/s fill rate (100 vs 500), and it only needs to push 1366x768.

Does anyone have any experience with Clovertrail for gaming who maybe knows how far back I have to go to get playable frame rates? I have a feeling I need to go back to original Unreal Engine 1 games and older.

Tomodachi

Hi PC-GAF, I'm thinking about updating my rig a little since I got some money as a present for my graduation.
Since my budget is kinda limited I was thinking about only replacing my CPU, my motherboard of course, and my RAM. I'd like to add an SSD as well.

Here goes the info:

Current Specs: CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2Ghz / RAM: 4 GB of the worst kind ever, everytime a module broke I replaced it with a random stick, so they're all different now / Motherboard: Sapphire PC-AM2RS790G / GPU: 560 Ti from MSI / PSU: Corsair, don't recall and can't check the wattage right now but it should be fine / Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha / HDD: western digital blue caviar 1TB
Budget: 500€ at max, thinking about shopping off Amazon Italy.
Main Use: basically gaming since I'm getting a laptop which will be my main computer from now on, this desktop will stay hooked up to the TV as a dedicated gaming PC. I'll probably keep using XBMC as well, I might watch a few 1080p video sources from time to time but mostly 720p. I have no issues with 1080p streams at all as it is anyway.
Monitor Resolution: as I said above, I will only use the desktop with my TV, a panasonic 42" ST30 (1080p plasma).

I don't have huge expectations, maybe I will upgrade my dated GPU sometime next year but for now I'm satisfied with 30fps at 1080p and light antialiasing for current, somewhat demanding games. I'm interested in Dolphin and PCSX2 though, and I already used them in the past but some games just won't run good enough. That's why I'm interested in upgrading my CPU, most of all.

That out of the way, I was thinking about getting a 3750K and a Z77 motherboard but Amazon Italy doesn't have the MSI one the OP is mentioning. Are there good alternatives? I'm not interested at all in crossfire/sli, so I was also wondering if a m-ATX would be alright. About the RAM I was thinking Corsair, an 8GB kit with 2 4GB sticks, I found this one: CMX8GX3M2B1600C9. I'm not sure it's a low profile kit though. Also, are 1.65v modules bad?
For the SSD I'm thinking a samsung 840, 250GB. I don't install more than 4-5 games at a time so I should be fine, maybe even 120GB could be enough now that I think about it.

That's all I can think of for now. Thoughts?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah those upgrades sound good. I'd check Haswell parts on Amazon too if emulation is a priority. What cheaper mobo models show up for z77/z87?

If I'm buying from newegg any particular make of gtx 770 someone would recommend? Kinda looking at 4GB models. Steer me away if 4GB is overkill and I can stay with 2GB. Max res is 1920 x 1080 due to HDTV.

Currently running a gtx 570 twin frozr from MSI. Kinda partial to them but open to other vendors.

I just built my PC last summer, and it's still kicking ass for the cost I paid-

i5-3570k - stock
8gb DDR3 1600mhz
128gb M4 SSD
ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard
Sapphire HD6870 Video Card
Corsair TX750w PSU

I bought the HD6870 last summer cause I wasn't sure what card I wanted, and for the money I couldn't pass up the 6870. It's still suiting me just fine, but I saw this deal, and wanted to know if it would be worth it to upgrade? Would I see a significant jump in graphics?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ex-_-DesktopGraphicsVideoCards-_-14121660-L0H

I'm playing alot of BLOPS2, Skyrim (modded), and other like minded games.

So I got my replacement 7950, and everything is working fine, but I'm still getting the same issues whenever I overclock and try to watch a video.

I can just set my core clock from the default of 925 to 1000(my max is like 1150, or at least Heaven was running fine at that point, and I havent touched voltage at all) and anytime I try to play a youtube video this still happens:

I need to set my settings back to default, then uninstall and reinstall drivers to get it to play videos normally.

Anyone have and ideas what this could be? While I was waiting for my replacement 7950 everything worked fine just running from the Haswell graphics.

Theres no way I got two bad cards in a row, right?

snack

I am thinking about getting a new build. Thing is that I have intentions of bringing the tower over to a friend's house for some dota lan gaming since we love that game so much. I don't really want to get a matx case, but was wondering if it is bad to keep moving a tower around back and forth. The case I had in mind was a C70. It is a mid tower. Is there something I can put the case in when I travel with it? Like a bag of some sort? I don't really know myself... was wondering if you guys could help me. Anyway, thanks!

kennah

I just built my PC last summer, and it's still kicking ass for the cost I paid-

i5-3570k - stock
8gb DDR3 1600mhz
128gb M4 SSD
ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard
Sapphire HD6870 Video Card
Corsair TX750w PSU

I bought the HD6870 last summer cause I wasn't sure what card I wanted, and for the money I couldn't pass up the 6870. It's still suiting me just fine, but I saw this deal, and wanted to know if it would be worth it to upgrade? Would I see a significant jump in graphics?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ex-_-DesktopGraphicsVideoCards-_-14121660-L0H

I'm playing alot of BLOPS2, Skyrim (modded), and other like minded games.

You'd see a difference, but spend $40 more and get a 760 and OVERCLOCK THAT CPU.

PasteyMF

Does anybody have input/experince with the new GTX 760 as an upgrade? All the reviews I'm ready are pretty positive for the price it's launching at. I can't get a solid 60 FPS on newer games, so I'm wondering if this would be a big enough bump for me...

I currently have an i5-2500k and an HD 6950. Maybe I should just hold out for the new architectures from nVidia/AMD or are those pretty far out from now?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
is it that necesary to get a overclock capable cpu?

knitoe

is it that necesary to get a overclock capable cpu?

Yes. 1GHz overclock is a huge performance gain vs stock speeds. My 2+ year old overclock 2600K@4.5GHz is still faster the latest Haswell CPU running stock. That should tell you something.

mkenyon

Banned
So I got my replacement 7950, and everything is working fine, but I'm still getting the same issues whenever I overclock and try to watch a video.

I can just set my core clock from the default of 925 to 1000(my max is like 1150, or at least Heaven was running fine at that point, and I havent touched voltage at all) and anytime I try to play a youtube video this still happens:

I need to set my settings back to default, then uninstall and reinstall drivers to get it to play videos normally.

Anyone have and ideas what this could be? While I was waiting for my replacement 7950 everything worked fine just running from the Haswell graphics.

Theres no way I got two bad cards in a row, right?
You need more volts.

Addnan

I forgot to mention that I'll need the desktop to have wireless functionality. What are the best methods to achieve that (would I need to implement it during the building process)?
You can just buy a PCI-E wireless card and put on your motherboard. If you want to avoid wifi and get a good connection look into powerline adapters.

Ryoku

If I'm buying from newegg any particular make of gtx 770 someone would recommend? Kinda looking at 4GB models. Steer me away if 4GB is overkill and I can stay with 2GB. Max res is 1920 x 1080 due to HDTV.

Currently running a gtx 570 twin frozr from MSI. Kinda partial to them but open to other vendors.

I bought a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB a couple of weeks ago off of Newegg. Very nice card. Runs cool. Turbo boost takes its core clock up to 1260MHz.

maneil99

Anyway short of piracy and student discounts ( My school is not listed and MS Support refuses to add it ) of getting windows 8 without selling almost 100$? Anyone here selling student keys for paypal

alisdair

Current specs: i7 920/2.66GHz, 12GB, HD5870.

I just upgraded to a 27" monitor and would like to play at least LoL and SC2 at 2560x1440. Both fail pretty miserably at the moment.

Can I get away with just a graphics card upgrade? What should I go for?

Addnan

Current specs: i7 920/2.66GHz, 12GB, HD5870.

I just upgraded to a 27" monitor and would like to play at least LoL and SC2 at 2560x1440. Both fail pretty miserably at the moment.

Can I get away with just a graphics card upgrade? What should I go for?

Starcraft likes a fast CPU, so you should give that a little overclock and yeah upgrade that GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom