• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Yeah I'm not building right away, I wanted to wait for news and such, interestingly enough, I was considering building mid fall lol. In your personal opinion, what should I do about the motherboard? Should I jump on the 1150 for 4th gen Intel? Or should I stick with the established 3rd gen structure? As of right now there doesn't seem to be much of a performance gain, but time will separate the gap I feel.

Time will make no difference. The only large gap is with emulation.

TheKurgan

I think my 2 year old Radeon 6950 HD is about to die. I have been getting weird screen flickering every once in a while. I have flashed it with the 6970 Bios but had no problems with the card until recently so don't think that is the problem. Any recommendations on what would be a decent replacement videocard?

I play on a 24" monitor at 1080p, don't need top of the line, but want a new card that can last another couple of years.

mkenyon

Banned
Samsung 840 250GB non pro.
Or Plextor or Crucial M4/M500, 840 Pro for super reliability and speed.

Just about everything out there right now save for some crappier last gen models still for sale are absolutely rock solid. It's hard to make a bad decision on an SSD.

One more quick question and I'll quit bothering you :p I'm in a personal debate over the Gene 5 or the Mpower Z77 chipsets. I'm highly interested in a Solid state drive, and I'm also highly interested in surround sound gaming.

As for the Solid State drive, I'm not seeing any reference to a 6GBs port on the Gene 5, am I missing something?

Also comparing Surround sound aspects, is one company better than the other? Would it be wise to go with a dedicated sound card?

Also, Dat yellow is sexy as hell. Man MSI puts out a good looking product.

Edit: Nevermind, Gene 5 supports sata 6GPS lol. Just went to the actual product page.

I have a Lian Li PC-Q28 case, GTX 780, 2 SSDs and 4.3 (OC) i5 2500K CPU. My mother board gets to 60c and I get a warning from Asus Suite saying "Motherboard Celsius Warning" Should I be concerned?

Is 60 degrees c too hot for a motherboard?

mkenyon

Banned
One more quick question and I'll quit bothering you :p I'm in a personal debate over the Gene 5 or the Mpower Z77 chipsets. I'm highly interested in a Solid state drive, and I'm also highly interested in surround sound gaming.

As for the Solid State drive, I'm not seeing any reference to a 6GBs port on the Gene 5, am I missing something?

Also comparing Surround sound aspects, is one company better than the other? Would it be wise to go with a dedicated sound card?

Also, Dat yellow is sexy as hell. Man MSI puts out a good looking product.
They're both incredible boards.

A build I did for a GAFer:

msMJnPZ.png

If you are serious about surround sound, you won't be using the onboard on either. You'll either want to get a Xonar card and use Dolby Headphone, or get the Creative SoundBlaster Z for SBX Pro.

I like mATX boards because I like more compact cases. But if that's not really your thing, then the MPower would be the board I'd personally pick.

Coldsnap

I have a Lian Li PC-Q28 case, GTX 780, 2 SSDs and 4.3 (OC) i5 2500K CPU. My mother board gets to 60c and I get a warning from Asus Suite saying "Motherboard Celsius Warning" Should I be concerned?

Is 60 degrees c too hot for a motherboard?

Are you sure it's not -60*C? I get a stupid error message like that but it's "-60*C" which i promptly ignore.

They're both incredible boards.

A build I did for a GAFer:

If you are serious about surround sound, you won't be using the onboard on either. You'll either want to get a Xonar card and use Dolby Headphone, or get the Creative SoundBlaster Z for SBX Pro.

I like mATX boards because I like more compact cases. But if that's not really your thing, then the MPower would be the board I'd personally pick.

I do believe you sold me :) Thank you so much for the help!

And daaaaaaamn at that build, it's almost wrong to not have a windowed case.

Addnan

MSI sure do know how to make their boards look nice. Even the midrange G45 to the higher GD65 all look incredible in the blue. Then the mpower is on another level.

Are you sure it's not -60*C? I get a stupid error message like that but it's "-60*C" which i promptly ignore.

Nope, I know what you are referring to but Speed Fan says 60c as well. Is that bad? Poor airflow? I have the Corsair H60 on the CPU as well. The CPU doesnt get above 58c. I have the EVGA Superclocked 780 with two fans. Could the card be causing the motherboard to overheat?

Ferr986

Guys, I have (hopefully) the last question about SSDs.

I have read all the procedures I should have to do to make my new SSD last longer, but I was thinking about the page file. Should I really move it to my old HDD?
As I see it, leaving it on my SSD could give me some performance boost if needed compared to the HDD. I really dont know if my computer will use it much, currently I have 4 GB of RAM, I plan on upgrading to 8 in a month or two. I dont think I do anything really RAM intensive, just the tipical usage (browse, music and gaming).

What do you guys think?

Finally upgraded my video card. Kicked the old GTX 460 1gb to the curb for my new GTX 760 2gb.

is it a nice upgrade? I was looking on doing the same (I also have the 460 1GB) but I dont know if its worth, especially with such a slow CPU like mine (Phenom 955).

Nope, I know what you are referring to but Speed Fan says 60c as well. Is that bad? Poor airflow? I have the Corsair H60 on the CPU as well. The CPU doesnt get above 58c. I have the EVGA Superclocked 780 with two fans. Could the card be causing the motherboard to overheat?

I should add that its 60c under load (Crysis 3). Am I going to fry my motherboard?

kharma45

My third 7850 just refuses to overclock to anything like the first two ;_; I guess it suits my 2500K which refuses to go above 4.3 GHz.

chronomac

So I think I might start building my own machine, little by little. I found this budget setup on reddit. I like everything except the DVD writer, which I'm leaving off, and Windows 7, where I'll substitute 8.

Do you guys think that's a good build for less than $500?

Also, if I wanted to substitute a motherboard that supported HDMI, what would be a good one? I plan on connecting this thing to my 42" 1080p TV, so I assume HDMI would work well...unless you guys think VGA is sufficient (which my TV does support).

Danj

But, if you are building a PC to play a bunch of games that are unreleased, you might consider waiting until Q3 when new AMD and NVIDIA cards may be hitting. Radeon R9 series (new naming scheme to go alongside their proc naming scheme) is supposed to hit in October. Maxwell might be out in December or January.

There's not likely to be anything superior to the GTX Titan in that lot, is there? I'm going to be ordering my parts tomorrow to arrive Friday.

mkenyon

Banned
There's not likely to be anything superior to the GTX Titan in that lot, is there? I'm going to be ordering my parts tomorrow to arrive Friday.
Could be. No way to know until release. That's 3-6 months out though, which isn't a small amount of time.
My third 7850 just refuses to overclock to anything like the first two ;_; I guess it suits my 2500K which refuses to go above 4.3 GHz.
Isn't that more of an issue with the ASRock board you have?

Danj

Could be. No way to know until release. That's 3-6 months out though, which isn't a small amount of time.

Ahh okay. Well, on the bright side, at least if I build a PC now, I can always upgrade it later if it turns out to be necessary.

I have read all the procedures I should have to do to make my new SSD last longer, but I was thinking about the page file. Should I really move it to my old HDD?
As I see it, leaving it on my SSD could give me some performance boost if needed compared to the HDD. I really dont know if my computer will use it much, currently I have 4 GB of RAM, I plan on upgrading to 8 in a month or two. I dont think I do anything really RAM intensive, just the tipical usage (browse, music and gaming).

What do you guys think?

is it a nice upgrade? I was looking on doing the same (I also have the 460 1GB) but I dont know if its worth, especially with such a slow CPU like mine (Phenom 955).

I havent installed yet because I plan on doing a reformat and reinstall win 7 instead of win 8.1

Lol, lets not tslk about slow CPUs. I'm rocking a A10 5800K right now.

ArynCrinn

Banned

What do you guys think?

SSD's give a extreme performance boost when used as a OS drive, marginal boost when used for misc programs like Steam/Origin/Games installs in general.

I actually still enjoy fooling around with my aging Q9400 OC/460 1GB rig, it can still hold it's own in so many games, even very high end ones it's not even funny. Even moreso if you carefully tweak settings or .ini. But yeah, a 760 will be a dramatic upgrade over the 460 1GB.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SpeedFan isn't in the OP for a reason. Try HWMonitor. Temps are ok.
So I think I might start building my own machine, little by little. I found this budget setup on reddit. I like everything except the DVD writer, which I'm leaving off, and Windows 7, where I'll substitute 8.

Do you guys think that's a good build for less than $500?

Also, if I wanted to substitute a motherboard that supported HDMI, what would be a good one? I plan on connecting this thing to my 42" 1080p TV, so I assume HDMI would work well...unless you guys think VGA is sufficient (which my TV does support).
Fill out the OP. That price is at least $30 off. You'd want at least $150 on GPU as well, performance increases are too much to ignore.

You can see the difference of texture resolutions very clearly at 1080.

Here's a quick comparison of vannila VS high res texture mod .

Yeah that's pretty convincing. I've ordered a 770 Gtx with 2 GB for a 1080 setup. Hopefully, that extra padding will keep me up with the pack for at least a few years.

kharma45

Those feels. I know them.

I'll hopefully do better next time around.

Damn, you can get unlucky with even the best overclockers :(

Yeah definitely. My first two 7850s were perfectly happy at 1200/5800 with around 1.9v but this one doesn't like that one bit. Just sitting at 1050/5200 atm :(

Isn't that more of an issue with the ASRock board you have?

The issue with it was reports of it not be able to maintain an overclock and throttling back, which mine doesn't have. Tweaktown had no issues getting their 3770K with the board to 4.6 perfectly stable http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4853/asrock_z75_pro3_intel_z75_motherboard_review/index4.html and its the same as the rest of the Pro 3's bar not having Intel SRT so it's my CPU, not the board. Other Pro 3 reviews for OCing http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1998/12/ and http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4852/asrock_z77_pro3_intel_z77_motherboard_review/index4.html

CX models use Chinese made Samxon caps and Teapo ones. Ain't nowt Japanese inside those things.

CX models have so many DOA reports and issues that crop up down the line like whine they're really not worth it unless it's your only option.

I did some more research and it seems like we're both right. CX non-modular are Chinese made with Samxon caps but the CX modular appear to be Japanese caps.

So, just to be clear, if I install Windows 8 on my new build's hdd, then add in my old hdd that has Windows 7 on it (making sure the one with Windows 8 is set to boot first), I should be able to copy all of my files from the old hdd to the new hdd without any issues, correct? My friend was going to let me borrow his external drive but couldn't find it, so I'm hoping this will work out fine. I have my Steam data, game saves, and music mostly. The rest is just pictures and small stuff I could easily do with a flash drive if I need to.

Smokey

Fresh Windows 8 reformat. Feels good. They made it really easy in W8. Don't need a disc or anything. General settings, restart PC, click a few more prompts and it starts the process.

ScRYeD

Can't recommend it either. The Extreme4 I got had two dead RAM DIMM slots... took it back to Microcenter, got an Asus Z77 V LK. All was good. Long live Asus!
With my asrock it ran fine except I couldn't get it past 4.4ghz. I upgraded to the Asus and got to 4.5ghz and could probably go further. So besides the ugly colour scheme it's alot bettets for me.

I had my mind set on getting a GTX 760, but reading about driver issues people are having with 700 series cards is kind of discouraging haha. Now I'm just going to wait and see.

snack

I have a MSI 790fxgd70 mono with a x4 955 and it crapped out on me today. Posting FF on the led via mobo. I touched the CPU and it is hot as fuck. Is it toast?

What's a good bang for buck CPU to replace it?

I should add that its 60c under load (Crysis 3). Am I going to fry my motherboard?

60c is pretty warm for a motherboard. Make sure your fans (& fan filters if you have them) are clean, and the motherboard. If it is still getting hot then add more case fans or replace with fans that move more air. I like to use case fans that move lots of air quietly.

Windam

Scaley member
Would, say, a Phenom II X4 965 BE bottleneck a GTX 660? I currently have a GTX 460 768MB (built this rig right when the 460's came out, and the 1GB versions were much harder to find), and I've been thinking about upgrading in the near future when I get some cash. My 460 serves me well for right now since my monitor only goes up to 1440x900, but I plan on getting a 1080P monitor soon, as well.

cajunator

Banned
Hello yall.
Im in pretty bad need of an upgraded computer at this point. I made this list of my current computer which cant even play gianna sisters on Steam. It bottlenecks everywhere and chokes on everything. Its just really a pain in the ass at this point.

This was an Acer prebuilt computer.

Current Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 2.3 ghz / 1.75 useable RAM / Motherboard - N/A/ GPU (Graphics) - some basic piece of shit card that came with it / PSU (Power Supply) - N/A/ Case / HDD (Hard Drive) - 500 GB HDD

Budget: whatever / USA

Main Use: about a 3. Light gaming, mostly web browsing and playing/emulating older games, using skype, art programs, and generally not having to click and pray every fucking time. Would like a huge amount of ram if possible. Several GBs.

Monitor Resolution: I have monitors.

Use all new parts. no carryovers except maybe whats on the HDD's. I do want windows 7 and I think I have one more license to use. I dont want 8 on this.

When will you build?: ASAP. I want a new computer soon.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

The main thing is I want a computer that can do what people generally ask of one with a minimum of fuss. I dont need a monster beast gaming computer. Something that can play the latest Sim city or some steam games is fine. Just give me something that isnt a slouch but wont be ludicrously expensive.

Bobb

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this, but I'm having problems with my new Asus 7970 DCII.

Can anyone tell me if this is just an ATI driver issue or do I have a faulty card?

Here is a screenshot I took of the WoW login page. This also happens to Guild Wars 2.
I already turned off my overclocks and tried tampering with the settings of each game.

I just wanted to be sure before I send it back in for RMA. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom