• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

Other PC parts arriving today via DPD between 11:28 and 12:28.. no idea when the CPU and SSD will get here though, USPS tracking hasn't updated since it left LA on the 22nd :(

eIpFi1B.png

Tomodachi

Yeah those upgrades sound good. I'd check Haswell parts on Amazon too if emulation is a priority. What cheaper mobo models show up for z77/z87?

I can see: Asrock Z77 PRO3; Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H; Asrock Z77 PRO4-M. All round 85-90€. What would be the best of the three? Thanks for the interest btw :)

EDIT: the 4670K is 50€ more than the 3570K, would it be worth it? I read OC could be troublesome with haswell in the OP... could that be the case? And would a Z77 still be ok for it?

kharma45

I can see: Asrock Z77 PRO3; Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H; Asrock Z77 PRO4-M. All round 85-90€. What would be the best of the three? Thanks for the interest btw :)

EDIT: the 4670K is 50€ more than the 3570K, would it be worth it? I read OC could be troublesome with haswell in the OP... could that be the case? And would a Z77 still be ok for it?

Unless you're emulating it's not worth it. Haswell requires a Z87 board.

Is the MSI G45 around that price for you?

Thorgal

Quoted for new page.
could someone tell me if i understand the Titan and 700 series GPU booster 2.0 function correctly:

Basically i could set my max temp at 80C°
Then adjust the voltage.

Set my fans to scale accordingly to temp and tell them to go crazy if the 80 C° line is crossed to try and keep it cool.

The result is the card will overklock itself until it reaches the preset temp and throttle itself when it goes past it..

have i got that right ?

also while on the subject . what would be the recommended max temp for a titan cooled with fans ?

Tomodachi

Unless you're emulating it's not worth it. Haswell requires a Z87 board.

Is the MSI G45 around that price for you?

Hi! This was the original post, for clarity.

I'm actually interested in emulation quite a lot, but unfortunately I'm on a limited budget. I was thinking about upgrading only my CPU, my motherboard, my ram and my storage, adding an SSD. The fact is, with a 3570K + a Z77 I would be inside my budget, with a 4670K + a Z87 I think I might go overboard, even if just a little.
I looked for the MSI G45 at first but sadly amazon italy doesn't have it, that's why I was asking about those other motherboards. But if it's so much better than those I could always grab it someplace else and pay a bit more for shipping fees I guess. Last time I was interested in upgrading my PC I remember seeing the PRO4 among the suggested motherboards but that probably changed now.

Addnan

How much would it cost to ship from Amazon.co.uk to Italy? You will find a lot more options there if shipping isn't too high,

Tomodachi

How much would it cost to ship from Amazon.co.uk to Italy? You will find a lot more options there if shipping isn't too high,
It was free for orders over 25£ until a month or so ago they changed it, sadly. Bad timing, sigh. They also restricted the categories of items dispatching to Italy (that's because we have our own amazon I think) and stopped dispatching components over here, so it couldn't be possible even if I was willing to pay the shipping fees :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

If Z77 is your budget then it will still do extremely well.

I think the Pro4 M doesnt have the issues of the Extreme so if you dont mind the PCI-E slots lost then you can go for that.

Tomodachi

If Z77 is your budget then it will still do extremely well.

I think the Pro4 M doesnt have the issues of the Extreme so if you dont mind the PCI-E slots lost then you can go for that.

Thank you! I think I will settle for Ivy and Z77 for now then.

Oh and one last question (sorry, understanding what's going on with motherboards is always hard for me): I didn't see it before because of the slightly higher price but I found the ASUS P8Z77-V LX for 100€ on Amazon.it as well. I noticed the LK model is in the OP (although it's not on my local amazon) and that it should be identical to the LX only with a PCI-E 3.0 port less or something like that. So I was wondering, maybe this would be the better choice instead of the Pro4 M?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
When I put it together Newegg was doing free RAM bundled with the mobo.

I guess I should check with Newegg then.

Newegg said:
However, I do notice this item has come into stock now. I can make a one time exception for you and send it to you for free.

Mighty nice of them, but I hate how support does "one time exception." I ordered the item with that promo and didn't get it. If you were going to cancel that promo item because you ran out of stock, at least let me know before shipping or processing my order you know? :/ I kinda expected it to be included and if it isn't you should give a heads up about it, ya know?

Still, they've been the best to work with compared to like NCIX and Microcenter so I can't hate too much. And they're comping the stick for me so I don't have to pay for the shipping or the stick so hoorah. Should be able to build next week after Amazon and Newegg give me the stuff I need due to order screwups.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thank you! I think I will settle for Ivy and Z77 for now then.

Oh and one last question (sorry, understanding what's going on with motherboards is always hard for me): I didn't see it before because of the slightly higher price but I found the ASUS P8Z77-V LX for 100€ on Amazon.it as well. I noticed the LK model is in the OP (although it's not on my local amazon) and that it should be identical to the LX only with a PCI-E 3.0 port less or something like that. So I was wondering, maybe this would be the better choice instead of the Pro4 M?
Save the money if you are on budget imo.

For LK vs LX the LK is a better buy.

Danj

PC parts turned up bang on time via DPD today, now just waiting on the CPU and SSD. USPS's tracking site was offline this morning, it came back on later but still doesn't have any new details.

Grumbul

I've been holding off upgrading for awhile now and just spotted Scan are expecting shipments of the Asus GTX780 Direct CU II in today.

It is going to have to be done...

Coldsnap

I wasn't happy with the performance on my i5 2500k. I sorta guessed it would happen though because it's an old old cpu that's been used a lot. So I went out and bought a i5 3570k from tiger direct. Is there something better I could have gotten for straight computer gaming? I plan on buying Haswell-E next year.

Addnan

I wasn't happy with the performance on my i5 2500k. I sorta guessed it would happen though because it's an old old cpu that's been used a lot. So I went out and bought a i5 3570k from tiger direct. Is there something better I could have gotten for straight computer gaming? I plan on buying Haswell-E next year.
3570k doesn't offer much over 2500k performance wise. It give PCIE 3 support. Did you have your 2500k overclocked? For gaming not really, the top i5 are still what most stick to

What kind of overclock did you get on the 2500K?

EDIT: Also, delid that 3570K.

Coldsnap

What kind of overclock did you get on the 2500K?

EDIT: Also, delid that 3570K.

Edit: It turns out I actually didn't buy a unlocked i5 2500, so that's why I was upset with the overclocking. I could only get it up to 4.1 then bios would stop me. I feel stupid, but whatever I have a better core now.

RoKKeR

Just got my wireless 360 controller receiver, all set up and it's working just fine. Any suggestions of games with good controller support to test out?

Edit: Nevermind, fired up F1 2012 and it's working like a dream. No latency at all. Having a controller has instantly boosted the quality of my PC gaming. I love being able to just sit back and relax while I play.

Van Owen

Banned
I have an unopened i5 2500k going on ebay and the highest bid is $135.50 with a day left. Not sure if that is high or low. I thought I saw some going for like $180.

Frostburn

Just got my wireless 360 controller receiver, all set up and it's working just fine. Any suggestions of games with good controller support to test out?

Edit: Nevermind, fired up F1 2012 and it's working like a dream. No latency at all. Having a controller has instantly boosted the quality of my PC gaming. I love being able to just sit back and relax while I play.

Yeah it works great, you can hook up more than one controller if a game happens to have multiplayer as well! Steam will typically let you know if a controller works with a game. Big Picture mode + good 3rd person action games are amazing. I played through Dark Souls with it, for FPS single player games I sometimes prefer it as well such as Dishonored and Borderlands 2.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
O2VVjhI.jpg

I am looking at buying a 760, which requires two 6 pin pcie power connectors. My power supply has this split pcie power cable.

Seems weird that two power connectors would come from one cable run. Will this work? It is a 630w supply.

Damian.

Banned
Currently have this Corsair 750w PSU paired with a 2600k@4.5/GTX 680/16GB RAM w/ 6 HDDs. Want to move to a 680 SLI setup. I have read conflicting reports that 750w is enough to power this system. What say you GAF?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have an unopened i5 2500k going on ebay and the highest bid is $135.50 with a day left. Not sure if that is high or low. I thought I saw some going for like $180.
eBay prices don't count until 2 minutes before it ends. I'd say $130-$160 is about right. You are competing with Used Ivy's now.
O2VVjhI.jpg

I am looking at buying a 760, which requires two 6 pin pcie power connectors. My power supply has this split pcie power cable.

Seems weird that two power connectors would come from one cable run. Will this work? It is a 630w supply.
630? Sounds like ThermalTake. Should be fine.

Croyles

Hi fellow Gaffers. I am quite ignorant when it comes to hardware so was wondering if you could help me with this.

Am looking to build a hd video editing/gaming pc, with emphasis on editing more than gaming.

I found this site which seems to give good suggestions for parts and I am wondering what your opinion on the build is. My budget is around 1000 dollars and this setup seems to fit perfectly:

http://www.absoluteblogger.com/2013/06/build-best-gaming-editing-computer-pc-1000-dollars.html

Processor -AMD FX-8350
Motherboard -GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
GPU -Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870
RAM -Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
SSD -Samsung 840 120 GB
HDD -WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Drive
PSU -Corsair Builder Series CX600
Optical Drive -Samsung Optical Drive SH-224 DB/BEBE

If it's good, should I install my OS on the SSD? How much space would Win7 64-bit take up? Asking because I also want to store my hd video recordings on there for fast editing.

Exuro

Hey guys I looked at the op already but I'm at best buy looking for a new kbm combo to get for my brother. They have g500 to 700 Logitech mice and keyboards and then Razer death stalker anansi and black widow boards, then naga and death adder. Was wonder what would be the best. Money doesn't matter.

Quake1028

Finally got a modular power supply. A little work routing things behind and under and I went from a dusty, cramped, jumbled mess to this:

lh7Kpwn.jpg

Really happy.

brentech

Finally got a modular power supply. A little work routing things behind and under and I went from a dusty, cramped, jumbled mess to this:

lh7Kpwn.jpg

Really happy.
Are you unable to mount your heatsink fan on the other side, so it's blowing through the heatsink and out the back?
Or is your RAM too tall?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys I looked at the op already but I'm at best buy looking for a new kbm combo to get for my brother. They have g500 to 700 Logitech mice and keyboards and then Razer death stalker anansi and black widow boards, then naga and death adder. Was wonder what would be the best. Money doesn't matter.
None of those.

Steelseries Sensei, and then one of the mechanical boards in the OP. The Quickfire TK is a neat board. Get the Cherry Red or Brown version (switch type).

http://shop.steelseries.com/us/mice...ail&utm_term=0_77dc9bf898-50d824c65d-80073749

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129019

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129013

*edit*

Oh, if you are at BB, then get the Seelseries Sensei still, and then the SteelSeries 6VG2 keyboard.

Addnan

OK, so because I was trying to save money, I bought this RAM without thinking what kind of impact it might have in terms of abutting the heatsink. I'll check it on Monday (hopefully my other parts should arrive then) but can anyone tell me if I'll be OK? Looking at the numbers I think it should fit:

This heatsink with these RAM dimensions on this board.

That RAM shouldn't have any problems clearing any heatsinks. It's the ones with the ridiculous fins that people shouldn't buy that have issues

bro1

Banned
Are you unable to mount your heatsink fan on the other side, so it's blowing through the heatsink and out the back?
Or is your RAM too tall?

I have my 212 aligned like that and it actually has lower temps then when I had it the other way. This is in a Corsair Carbride 300 case.

mintyice

If you can put it into your budget, sure. 770 is a fair bit more powerful than the 760.

Change the motherboard to the MSI G45 Gaming. They have a good track record of being reliable. Prices should be similar.

Gotcha, I think I'll only be gaming at 1920x1080 unless I can find a good deal on a monitor

eBay prices don't count until 2 minutes before it ends. I'd say $130-$160 is about right. You are competing with Used Ivy's now.

2 seconds before it ends. If someone is willing to wait till the last minutes of the auction to bid, but not wait till the final 5 seconds then I don't know what to say.

So, my pc is acting strange lately, rebooting for no apparent reason (seems to be PSU, but it doesn't happen under load).

I was thinking about a clean Windows install; should I keep 7 or go with 8?

I can get both for free through university, so...

Coldsnap

I think Asus Suit is giving me this error every once and awhile. Anyone else get this?

errormessae_zpsac8b7bc7.png

Between that and the random core and volt warnings, this is some buggy software!

Messing around with my i5 3570k before I consider delid. At 4.6ghz right now with 1 hour into Prime85 blend at 66*C load and 27*C idle.

I have a cheap LG W2261VP-PF monitor from 2010. The colours are bad now (whites are very yellow), and it's a little bit small. I feel the need for an upgrade.

Now I'm not sure if I should get a 120Hz monitor or a 2560x1440 monitor.

Out of the two types, I've only ever seen a 27" iMac (my colleague has one at work), and whilst it is gorgeous, I don't think it's what I want. Anyway I wouldn't want to run my games at that resolution.

I love gaming at 60 frames per second, and is the main reason why I'll be sticking with PC for the foreseeable future. I have no idea how much of an improvement having an 120Hz monitor would be. Could someone describe why 120Hz is an advantage?

I would like to spend max. £300. What are my options? Is the BenQ XL2411T the only option for UK (in the OP)?

Edit: Oh it does seem the other two suggested in the OP are available in the UK. The ASUS VG248QE seems better because I'm more into it having nicer colours. Should I even bother with 120Hz?

Croyles

Hi fellow Gaffers. I am quite ignorant when it comes to hardware so was wondering if you could help me with this.

Am looking to build a hd video editing/gaming pc, with emphasis on editing more than gaming.

I found this site which seems to give good suggestions for parts and I am wondering what your opinion on the build is. My budget is around 1000 dollars and this setup seems to fit perfectly:

http://www.absoluteblogger.com/2013/06/build-best-gaming-editing-computer-pc-1000-dollars.html

Processor -AMD FX-8350
Motherboard -GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
GPU -Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870
RAM -Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
SSD -Samsung 840 120 GB
HDD -WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Drive
PSU -Corsair Builder Series CX600
Optical Drive -Samsung Optical Drive SH-224 DB/BEBE

If it's good, should I install my OS on the SSD? How much space would Win7 64-bit take up? Asking because I also want to store my hd video recordings on there for fast editing.

Anyone?

mkenyon

Banned
The 8350 is a bad processor for gaming. Great for video editing and multimedia, bad for gaming. If you want to know specifics, here you go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70859256&postcount=3000

Go with the stuff in the OP.

*edit*

Also, if you will be using Premiere, get an NVIDIA card. If you use Vegas, get an AMD card.
Should I even bother with 120Hz?
I think it's the most important technological development in gaming in the last ~5 years or so.

Thorgal

could someone tell me if i understand the Titan and 700 series GPU booster 2.0 function correctly:

Basically i could set my max temp at 80C°
Then adjust the voltage.

Set my fans to scale accordingly to temp and tell them to go crazy if the 80 C° line is crossed to try and keep it cool.

The result is the card will overklock itself until it reaches the preset temp and throttle itself when it goes past it..

have i got that right ?

also while on the subject . what would be the recommended max temp for a titan cooled with fans ?

Also. anyone ?

So I'm building tonight. Last thing is the Windows issue thats been bugging me.

mkenyon helped me out by letting me know about the USB install so I'll go that route. My only question now is if I should just download Windows 8 Upgrade from microsoft or if I should just buy a Windows 8 OEM disc.

Basically whats the cheapest option?

The thing that makes me pause about Windows 8 upgrade is that it says I can only install from a computer with Windows preinstalled, which I don't have obviously on a brand new computer I'm building.

I dont't know if should get an Asus VG248QE for £286.97 or a BenQ XL2411T for £235.04?

I think the Asus is better for gaming but I don't know if its as big of a difference as that price would indicate. I probably go Benq there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom