• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Sorry, it's my first time building. :)

This is how my computer look like right now:

EkhkHov.jpg

The white fan on the case to the left is connected to FAN OPT, and the Intel fan on top of the CPU is connected to SYS FAN1 - is this correct?

Those are molex, commonly used for case fans. Chances are if its from the front of the case its the case fans.

They come out from the front of the case yes. Where should those be plugged in? It says nothing about it in the video guide I'm following and can neither find anything in the manual.

maneil99

Sorry, it's my first time building. :)

This is how my computer look like right now:

The white fan on the case to the left is connected to FAN OPT, and the Intel fan on top of the CPU is connected to SYS FAN1 - is this correct?

They come out from the front of the case yes. Where should those be plugged in? It says nothing about it in the video guide I'm following and can neither find anything in the manual.

The fan on top of the CPU is called the CPU Heatsink. It should be plugged into CPU_Fan

The Case fan should be plugged into Sys_Fan

The cables infront should connect to the opposite gender molex cables from your PSU

Female

Male

Now they have little offbranches in your pics, leave those alone for now, thats if you want to manually control your speed of the front fans, no need for that yet, plugging them in molex style runs them at top speed unless they have a swtich

maneil99

The fan on top of the CPU is called the CPU Heatsink. It should be plugged into CPU_Fan

The cables infront should connect to the opposite gender molex cables from your PSU

Female

Male

Now they have little offbranches in your pics, leave those alone for now, thats if you want to manually control your speed of the front fans, no need for that yet, plugging them in molex style runs them at top speed unless they have a swtich

Edit : Also your 780 Only has 1 cable plugged in, you need to plug in both PCI-E cables

Pachimari

Female

Male

I have corrected the fan cables now, thank you.

So about the molex, I connect the one of the left to the cable on the right and connect that to the PSU?

yatesl

Probably already mentioned, but plug case fans in to the FAN_1 / 2 / 3 headers, not CPU_OPT.

You have the Fractal R4, right? The cables coming out of the front are for the controller - you can plug a molex in to it, along with the fans, to control them. I just left it, as I prefer my system to increase or decrease if needed - it's pretty much silent.

There's a photo of the back of my R4. See all the cables bunched up in the top right? They're for the fan controller.

Pachimari

Edit : Also your 780 Only has 1 cable plugged in, you need to plug in both PCI-E cables

Alright, so now I only need to do this but when I connect the other PSI-E cable to the PSU it doesn't seem to fit (the one to the left).

Probably already mentioned, but plug case fans in to the FAN_1 / 2 / 3 headers, not CPU_OPT.

You have the Fractal R4, right? The cables coming out of the front are for the controller - you can plug a molex in to it, along with the fans, to control them. I just left it, as I prefer my system to increase or decrease if needed - it's pretty much silent.

There's a photo of the back of my R4. See all the cables bunched up in the top right? They're for the fan controller.
Yes, it's a Fractal Design R4. That photo will definitely help me with the cabling on the back. :)
I only have the one fat cable going that way.

maneil99

Alright, so now I only need to do this but when I connect the other PSI-E cable to the PSU it doesn't seem to fit (the one to the left).

Yes, it's a Fractal Design R4. That photo will definitely help me with the cabling on the back. :)

Unplug all the PCI-E cables and start from the left to the right instead

Pachimari

I got an idea, what if I connect the cable on the left to the cable on the right, which powers the fans in the front of the case. It's already connected to the PSU, and then from there I can connect it to the video card.

I'll do it like that?

This is how it looks now:

01) I have a 8pin connector going from the PSU to the video card (6pin).
02) I have a 8pin connector going from the PSU into a PCI-E (6pin) connector which goes into the video card (8pin). It's the one called PSU on the video card on the picture above.

FYI: The 8pin and 6pin power cables came with the Evga GTX 780 video card.

Is this correct?

------------------------------------​

Another thing is, which of these thermal paste's do you guys recommend I buy?

Revoltec Thermal Grease Diamond (267 DKK)

Arctic Cooling MX-4 (79 DKK)

yatesl

What do you currently have plugged in to your PSU, and what do you need? With modular/semi-modular PSUs, you get more cables than you normally need.

• Motherboard (22 / 24 pin)
  • Supplimental motherboard (near the CPU)
  • Hard drives
  • DVD drive?
  • GPU

You don't need to plug in the fan controller if you're not going to be using it - unless I misread your post.

yatesl

I'm hesitant to use an adapter for the GPU. Did you say you're using the cables from the graphics card to go in to the PSU? That might be why they won't fit - does the PSU have the same cables?

It seems like you're missing the supplemental CPU power (which can be mixed up with the GPU one, as they're both 4+4 connectors. What motherboard do you have?

Pachimari

I'm hesitant to use an adapter for the GPU. Did you say you're using the cables from the graphics card to go in to the PSU? That might be why they won't fit - does the PSU have the same cables?

It seems like you're missing the supplemental CPU power (which can be mixed up with the GPU one, as they're both 4+4 connectors. What motherboard do you have?

This is my GPU and motherboard:

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780

Yes, I'm using cables from the graphics card to go into the PSU, and the adapters are from the graphics card as well.

The cable marked with "PSU" (8pin from the graphics card) goes into an adapter which goes into the PSU with 8pin (but can also do 6pin).

This is the adapter:

yatesl

Hmm, well if it all connects and turns on, I'm sure it won't be a problem. I don't know if anyone else will weigh in when America wakes up.

For another Fractal R4 tip - if you're not using any optical drives, you can take the upper part of the drive cage out for more room / air flow.

(the cables at the front are a bit tidier since then.

Pachimari

Yeah, I think I'm gonna wait a little, as I'm already hesitant starting it up seeing all parts got wet some days ago. :)

I also have these extension/adapters which I'm not using:

Hmm, well if it all connects and turns on, I'm sure it won't be a problem. I don't know if anyone else will weigh in when America wakes up.

For another Fractal R4 tip - if you're not using any optical drives, you can take the upper part of the drive cage out for more room / air flow.

(the cables at the front are a bit tidier since then.

Now that you talk about it, I think I'm gonna remove the upper case for HDD's and have my SSD and HDD in the bottom cage. And keep the one for the optical drive as I'll probably install one later on. :)

Now my computer looks like this:

My only problem now is how to connect the GPU to the PSU.

My only problem now is how to connect the GPU to the PSU.

I have read all your posts, and still have no idea where you are having trouble. Plug 2 PCI-e 6pin (or 8pin if you have them) cords into your PSU and either route them to the 6 to 8 pin adapters if you need them, or if they are already 8 pin PCIe then plug them in.

Pachimari

I have read all your posts, and still have no idea where you are having trouble. Plug 2 PCI-e 6pin (or 8pin if you have them) cords into your PSU and either route them to the 6 to 8 pin adapters if you need them, or if they are already 8 pin PCIe then plug them in.
Oh, then there's no problem. I'm using 2 8pin PCI-e ones in the PSU and routing one of them to an adapter.

Should I just turn it all on now and see if the parts still work?

I think this might be final:

Then I will connect the power cable to the PSU and a HDMI cable to the graphics card and start up the BIOS I assume.
Do I need to put on the sides or can I let it stay open when powering it on?

For anyone wondering, this is what is in the computer right now:

IMACOMPUTA

First OC it.. OC the hell out of it. Has much as you can.

2nd. I play BF4 MP, 1440p, ULTRA SETTING with 125% Scaling and i rarely drop under 65FPS.

Most games are extremely fluid in 1440p with a 780 (I have a 3770 stock and 8gig of ram).

With AA on? I have a 3570k @ 4.4 ghz, a 780ti, 8gb ram and often drop under 60 fps in bf4 at 1440p. Scaling at 100%

Are you lying?

IMACOMPUTA

Oh, then there's no problem. I'm using 2 8pin PCI-e ones in the PSU and routing one of them to an adapter.

Should I just turn it all on now and see if the parts still work?

For anyone wondering, this is what is in the computer right now:

Those 8 pin PCI-e to molex adapters that come with your gpu are intended for psu's that don't have 2 8pin PCI-e power cables.
It won't hurt anything to use it, but it is unnecessary in your case since you do have the proper cables.

Yeah, fire it up. Good luck!

Pachimari

Those 8 pin PCI-e to molex adapters that come with your gpu are intended for psu's that don't have 2 8pin PCI-e power cables.
It won't hurt anything to use it, but it is unnecessary in your case since you do have the proper cables.

Yeah, fire it up. Good luck!
Alright, I'll do it. Is there anything I need to do in the BIOS?

EDIT:
Oh wait! I probably need to buy and put on some goo between the CPU and the heatsink first! Or can I turn it on just to see that everything is working and then turn it off again without any goo?

Btw when I try to put Windows 7 on my USB it gives me this message:

mYJJ8Zk.jpg

I'm using Microsoft's "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" and follows the 4 steps. I even formatted the USB which is on 16GB.

Alright, I'll do it. Is there anything I need to do in the BIOS?

EDIT:
Oh wait! I probably need to buy and put on some goo between the CPU and the heatsink first! Or can I turn it on just to see that everything is working and then turn it off again without any goo?

Btw when I try to put Windows 7 on my USB it gives me this message:

mYJJ8Zk.jpg

I'm using Microsoft's "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" and follows the 4 steps. I even formatted the USB which is on 16GB.

You really should not have something running without thermal paste, but it should be pre-applied to the CPU already.

Pachimari

You really should not have something running without thermal paste, but it should be pre-applied to the CPU already.
No it's not pre-applied as I already used what was applied on it before I removed the heat sink the last time. I'll order some goo and wait until next week to fire it up then. :)

Pachimari

I've personally used the MX-4 paste since I started building a few years ago and it's worked great.
Roger that, I'll go for it!

I just need one more thing before putting in my order. Should I use DVI-I or DVI-D for a PC monitor?

I'll use a HDMI cable going to my HDTV, so that port will be taken.

Something like this DVI-I (male) > DVI-I (male) will do?

Speevy

Banned
I just want to give a huge, HUGE thank you to Liquidmetal14 for building my computer.

Absolutely wonderful packing job, and he helped me figure out an issue I was having getting the computer set up on my TV screen. I think I knocked a cable loose, so he guided me through the process of fixing that.

Thanks to Liquidmetal14, I finally have a PC that can run a few things.

He's just an all-around awesome guy. No one else would have gone through this much trouble to help me.

Dawg

Question about Seasonic X-650 w/ Bitfenix Prodigy.

Should the fan be up or down? I always get confused with air flow of PSU :p I think it should be down wbecause it has a filter and you can seperate it from the case airflow this way but I'm not sure.

mkenyon

Banned
Question about Seasonic X-650 w/ Bitfenix Prodigy.

Should the fan be up or down? I always get confused with air flow of PSU :p I think it should be down wbecause it has a filter and you can seperate it from the case airflow this way but I'm not sure.
Down.

QP3

Has anyone made a custom keyboard? (e.g. back color, key colors, etc.)

If so, how did it turn out and where did you get it from? Thanks!

I just want to give a huge, HUGE thank you to Liquidmetal14 for building my computer.

Absolutely wonderful packing job, and he helped me figure out an issue I was having getting the computer set up on my TV screen. I think I knocked a cable loose, so he guided me through the process of fixing that.

Thanks to Liquidmetal14, I finally have a PC that can run a few things.

He's just an all-around awesome guy. No one else would have gone through this much trouble to help me.

nice.

time to break it in with some games.

hope you have a Steam library ready :p

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I need some advice on a new 24" monitor.....it's for a Mac Mini so it needs to stay in the 1080p ballpark. The best thing I've seen so far is the Apple cinema display even though it's glossy and really expensive. I've heard a lot about the cheap Korean monitors that are great, do they hit that Apple display level easily? Keep in mind I can't go for the 1440p type monitors.

timnich

I have a networking question, hoping this is the right place to ask this:

I currently have an ASUS RT-N56 wireless router providing Wifi plugged into my modem in the basement. The wireless router is also plugged into a Powerline adapter that provides ethernet connections in every room (have adapters in every major room in the house). Wired connections work perfectly, the problem is the wifi does not reach the top floor. My plan is to buy another wireless router and plug it in to a Powerline adapter on the top floor to provide wifi access upstairs, and also have a PC plugged into the second router through ethernet.

What I want to know is if devices connecting to the second router have access to devices connected to the first router, and vice versa. I have a NAS that I use to stream content, I was wondering if I will still have access to it with a second router. I will most likely purchase another N56, just need to know if this will be an issue before I buy.

Thanks in advance to anyone able to provide any insight to my issue!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh god I really want that Corsair Air 540 case.

I can't justify it since my P192 still works fine, But i'm getting a new 27" display next week so the upgrade itch has hit....

Oh lord that case is crazy.

timnich

Bumping for new page, apologies if I'm not supposed to do this...

I currently have an ASUS RT-N56 wireless router providing Wifi plugged into my modem in the basement. The wireless router is also plugged into a Powerline adapter that provides ethernet connections in every room (have adapters in every major room in the house). Wired connections work perfectly, the problem is the wifi does not reach the top floor. My plan is to buy another wireless router and plug it in to a Powerline adapter on the top floor to provide wifi access upstairs, and also have a PC plugged into the second router through ethernet.

What I want to know is if devices connecting to the second router have access to devices connected to the first router, and vice versa. I have a NAS that I use to stream content, I was wondering if I will still have access to it with a second router. I will most likely purchase another N56, just need to know if this will be an issue before I buy.

mhayze

Bumping for new page, apologies if I'm not supposed to do this...

Yes they should. You need to set this up right, but essentially a wifi extender will bridge everyone onto the same logical network.

jiggles

Banned
So, my 780Ti is here. And I plugged these settings into Tomb Raider:

tombraidersettingsaaejo.png

And then ran the benchmark.

High: 62fps
Low: 48fps
Average: 54fps

It's okay, I guess.

On a serious note, I had some power issues with it. My PSU is a semi-modular 650W one, with two 8-pin PCI-E cables coming out of the non-modular part. I put both of them (as an 8+6) to the card and it failed under load. So I took the 6 out, replaced it with a regular modular 6-pin, and everything... seems to be fine?

Dawg

Is there any difference between a Dual Link and Single Link DVI cable for 60hz? And DVI-D or DVI-I?

I have a DVI-D Dual Link cable, but I just wanted to know more about this. I'm going to assume my type is the most common one.

So, my 780Ti is here. And I plugged these settings into Tomb Raider:

tombraidersettingsaaejo.png

And then ran the benchmark.

High: 62fps
Low: 48fps
Average: 54fps

It's okay, I guess.

Is that because of TressFX? Or just general ultra graphics? I'd expect more from a GTX 780 Ti. Or is Tomb Raider just a power hungry game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom