• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

redlegs87

just got all of mine too brother. this is the first time ill be putting it all together as well. if we go down, let us go down together.

0FAXLek.jpg

I am jelly of dat case I want it so bad!

Will be ordering my last parts next week and hopefully can post my own "parts" pic.

I_D

(Sorry if this isn't the proper thread)

I noticed a few games seem to be running slower than usual.

These are my temps while playing the new RE4.
Are my CPU temps too high? I'm on stock cooling with no OCing.
If so, what to do? A new coat of thermal paste?

tempspwula.png

mr stroke

What case is that?

full build-

Case-Silverstone TJ09 painted blue(from my old Digital Storm pre built PC)
Monitor-DELL 32" 4k UP3214Q
Ram-8gb Corsair
GPU-2xGTX780's
CPU-i7 4770k
SSD-Samsung Evo 750gb SSD

installing CPU now, please post please post please post :\

kennah

full build-

Ram-8gb Corsair
GPU-2xGTX780's
CPU-i7 4770k

installing CPU now, please post please post please post :

Incredible build. Can't wait to see the final results! Our cases are almost the same colour.

maneil99

tempspwula.png

Way to high, try remounting the cooler and removing and re applying the paste. Double check temps with another program like coretemp

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

tempspwula.png
Remount ASAP. Check if you removed the plastic film on the heatsink, look at a HD install video and the TIM stuff in the second post.

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
curious, people with a similar setup (3570k 16gb ram) and plain 780, what kinda of performances at 1440p do you get for games of the past year?

how much things must you turn down to keep 60fps?

First OC it.. OC the hell out of it. Has much as you can.

2nd. I play BF4 MP, 1440p, ULTRA SETTING with 125% Scaling and i rarely drop under 65FPS.

Most games are extremely fluid in 1440p with a 780 (I have a 3770 stock and 8gig of ram).

Hey, guys.

I'm helping a friend find parts for his first PC build. He's upgrading from a laptop, so there's nothing he can reuse.

Budget: $1000 + US
Main Use: Gaming
Resolution: 1080p
Overclocking: No.
Deadline: None.
Must run Dark Souls 2 at a minimum of 30fps.

This is a list of parts I've drawn up so far:

Case: NZXT Source 530 CA-SO530-M1
CPU: Intel Core i5-4440
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41
PSU: CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W
GPU: ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 2GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB
HD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

Flexibility is his goal. He likes the above case because eventually he could switch to water cooling. He'll throw another stick of RAM in there by the end of the year.

Haswell Refresh will be compatible with the 9-series chipset coming out this year, right? I've spoken with him about putting off the motherboard and CPU purchase till then so he could upgrade to Broadwell (or its successors) more easily.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Is that the EVGA GTX 780 SC at the top right? The refurbished one from newegg? Let me know your feedback on it. I'm also thinking buying that used one.

will do, sir!

This looks VERY similar to my build. First of all, CONGRATS! Let me know if you have any questions or issues but it was a super easy to put together and I didn't have any complications with mine.

good to know, and i shall!

I am jelly of dat case I want it so bad!

Will be ordering my last parts next week and hopefully can post my own "parts" pic.

the parts pic is a modern ritual that i can get behind. it gets me hyped.

maneil99

full build-

Ram-8gb Corsair
GPU-2xGTX780's
CPU-i7 4770k

installing CPU now, please post please post please post :\

Thats a 290x though not a 780 :S

Geneijin

Question: should I be worried about my 550W PSU and its longevity when I'm overclocking my i5 4670k to 4.1 ghz @ 1.135 mV, running 6 hdds (1 ssd), and 10 case fans? Kind of tempted to get a 650W XFX or Antec and give my current PSU to another person's build I'm helping them out with because of this. Using the eXtreme PSU calculator got me concerned (472 watt recommended) :lol

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Product Series:840 Pro 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($154.36 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $691.56

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If the Air 540 gets a re-brand/update then I may consider it for my Haswell-E build. I helped a friend put together a rig recently with that case and like the potential for wire management in that case.

I_D

Way to high, try remounting the cooler and removing and re applying the paste. Double check temps with another program like coretemp

Remount ASAP. Check if you removed the plastic film on the heatsink, look at a HD install video and the TIM stuff in the second post.

WAT? :O
ABORT ABORT,

check your cooler mount again

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Remounted the cooler and things seem to be fine. I think one of the cooler's 'pins' hadn't clicked in all the way.
Got some paste just in case.

Everything's running around 80c now, which is much better.

EDIT:
Added new paste for the hell of it, and now it's staying under 60c. Aw yeah.

GravyButt

Sooo really dumb question. I have a great gaming desktop, but lately ive been forced to use a laptop a lot more than I like, which means no PC games for me on this 4 year old ancient toshiba.

Any decent laptops that can run some games (like company of heroes, skyrim, fallout new vegas, and a few other games from like 2011-2012) on maybe medium? Thing is id rather not 1080p. For some reason it really bugs my eyes on laptops. Anyways im looking on newegg only ( have some store credit). Not looking to spend much either, $750 tops. How would this be? If not any recommendations? And please dont say lenovo y500 or y510p. I bought that before, and got 5 laptops that busted within 3 months.

http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16834314383

mr stroke

Quick question for anyone that might know-

There is an extra cable from my Power Supply that says "1394" in the motherboard manual all it says is "DO NOT plug into USB port on mobo will damage"?

Where is the "1394 cable" supposed to plug into, if there isn't a port for it on this ASUS Z87 plus mobo?

Rufus

Quick question for anyone that might know-

There is an extra cable from my Power Supply that says "1394" in the motherboard manual all it says is "DO NOT plug into USB port on mobo will damage"?

Where is the "1394 cable" supposed to plug into, if there isn't a port for it on this ASUS Z87 plus mobo?
That's Firewire.

appaws

Banned
Hey, guys.

I'm helping a friend find parts for his first PC build. He's upgrading from a laptop, so there's nothing he can reuse.

Budget: $1000 + US
Main Use: Gaming
Resolution: 1080p
Overclocking: No.
Deadline: None.
Must run Dark Souls 2 at a minimum of 30fps.

This is a list of parts I've drawn up so far:

Case: NZXT Source 530 CA-SO530-M1
CPU: Intel Core i5-4440
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41
PSU: CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W
GPU: ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 2GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB
HD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

Flexibility is his goal. He likes the above case because eventually he could switch to water cooling. He'll throw another stick of RAM in there by the end of the year.

Haswell Refresh will be compatible with the 9-series chipset coming out this year, right? I've spoken with him about putting off the motherboard and CPU purchase till then so he could upgrade to Broadwell (or its successors) more easily.

I would think that the type of guy who would consider water cooling would probably want to go with a Z87 board and a "k" series processor, no? A lot of people just reflexively say "NO" to overclocking, but they are basing that on outdated information about how difficult or dangerous it is. Those things are just not true anymore...it's a few clicks and watching a few temps to get a nice performance boost. Easy Peasy.

If his budget is $1000, I would look to the builds in the OP as a starting point.

I would think that the type of guy who would consider water cooling would probably want to go with a Z87 board and a "k" series processor, no? A lot of people just reflexively say "NO" to overclocking, but they are basing that on outdated information about how difficult or dangerous it is. Those things are just not true anymore...it's a few clicks and watching a few temps to get a nice performance boost. Easy Peasy.

If his budget is $1000, I would look to the builds in the OP as a starting point.

I have already. I wanted other sets of eyes to see if any incompatibilities between the parts I listed jumped out at them.

How would overclocking affect the power requirements for the system?

Bear in mind, my friend is only recently getting into PC gaming. He's got a ways to go before he's knowledgable about things like AMD vs Nvidia, let alone overclocking.

He'll be using stock cooling in this build. Adding water cooling is easily 1-2 years away.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have already. I wanted other sets of eyes to see if any incompatibilities between the parts I listed jumped out at them.

How would overclocking affect the power requirements for the system?

Bear in mind, my friend is only recently getting into PC gaming. He's got a ways to go before he's knowledgable about things like AMD vs Nvidia, let alone overclocking.

He'll be using stock cooling in this build. Adding water cooling is easily 1-2 years away.
Water is 100% waste as stock / $35 air cooling will be the same speed and quieter. Water only for looks.
Parts are okay, you are easily in wattage limits. OC CPU adds ~35W max load, GPU about the same max load. BP550 is cheaper and a better unit imo unless you are getting the rebate.
Get 2x4GB for double memory bandwidth, 4 sticks are fine later on.

I'd highly recommend getting a Z87 board if he wants any longevity.

just got all of mine too brother. this is the first time ill be putting it all together as well. if we go down, let us go down together.

0FAXLek.jpg

For the case, if you hear a loud grinding noise it's the fans. I replaced mines and it's fine. There is a hole under the HDD bay. Otherwise it's a great case for airflow.

Quick question, what's gafs opinion on Corsair psus? I'm looking at the rm 550 and she's looking mighty fine.

Secondly, would it be advantageous to pick a matx over a standard ATX mobo for heat / dust reasons? Or is that stupid?

Water is 100% waste as stock / $35 air cooling will be the same speed and quieter. Water only for looks.
Parts are okay, you are easily in wattage limits. OC CPU adds ~35W max load, GPU about the same max load. BP550 is cheaper and a better unit imo unless you are getting the rebate.
Get 2x4GB for double memory bandwidth, 4 sticks are fine later on.

I'd highly recommend getting a Z87 board if he wants any longevity.

Great, thank you.

I appreciate the help.

maneil99

Quick question, what's gafs opinion on Corsair psus? I'm looking at the rm 550 and she's looking mighty fine.

Secondly, would it be advantageous to pick a matx over a standard ATX mobo for heat / dust reasons? Or is that stupid?

Their High end stuff is good, the low end Builder CX series not so much,
TX/AX is good, no idea about RX

At the end of the day though its more about who makes the PSU ( manufacturer not the brand ie Corsair XFX ect )
Ill check into who makes your actual PSU

Edit : Its CWT and its Gold +. The fans can get loud under full load. Its up to you whether you want a 550w Gold for 100$~ or something else. I am a huge fan of the XFX Pro Series by Seasonic however the gold plus might be worth the -100w. I doubt it will make a difference in the future if you decide to go Sli/CFX since both PSU's will need a upgradehttp://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

Their High end stuff is good, the low end Builder CX series not so much,
TX/AX is good, no idea about RX

At the end of the day though its more about who makes the PSU ( manufacturer not the brand ie Corsair XFX ect )
Ill check into who makes your actual PSU

Thank you! I'm hoping for the best :) seems to good to be true though lol.

yatesl

I hate seeing people post photos in this topic. It's been almost 10 months since my first PC build, and I want to do it again!

mr stroke

Everything works :eek:

I was really worried about fucking up, but putting it together was easier than I thought it would be(youtube helped)

Pachimari

Alright, just woke up and I'm now gonna attempt to build my PC which previously got wet by a water cooling leaking.

Wish me luck!

McBryBry

I'm looking into HDD's, a 1TB at 7200 rpm. I keep seeing that Hitachi is great, but that warranties on them aren't very good. What is the best to go with? It's the one part I'm still having questions on.

maneil99

So I switch PSU cables ( Surge Protector to PC, not Internal ) with my Monitor Power Cable and a White Power cable. My question is, do power cables matter, I switched cables due to my OCD kicking in and pissing me off that my cable was able to rock and wiggle alot in the PSU socket so I switched it. Only difference I noticed in writing is the white one had shielded and 75c vs the black which had 300v and 60c. Any way to test the cable? I only say this because I don't want my OCD to kick in when I get a crash and to think of that stupid cable. Thanks for letting me take my OCD out on you guys. Btw I finally removed my stupid keyboard drawer. One step forward two steps back

I forgot to tell gaf my new rig is up and running.

Fucking so happy.

Bitfenix Prodigy
i5 - 4770k
8GB ram
2TB HDD
500GB Hybrid Momentus, took it out of my old laptop boost fast :)
Replaced all the fans with quiter ones. Noctua
Corsair 650W PSU
Asrock ITX mobo
Dell 2k 27" monitor
Mionix Keyboard and mouse

Just need my GPU now, I'm loving the crashing price drops of the AMD 290 in Australia right now :)

The 290 tri x has dropped like $50 in a week :)

Pachimari

godspeed.

Thanks. I just need to plug in 5 more cables which I'm not sure where to insert and I'll fire it up.

I'll take pictures.

By the way, I have connected the stock fan to CPU OPT and the fan on top of the CPU to CPU FAN. I assume this is correct.

I'm following this guide.

maneil99

Thanks. I just need to plug in 5 more cables which I'm not sure where to insert and I'll fire it up.

I'll take pictures.

By the way, I have connected the stock fan to CPU OPT and the fan on top of the CPU to CPU FAN. I assume this is correct.

I'm following this guide.

Stock fan meaning Case fan? You can connect it to sys_fan aswell your choice, CPU fan normally runs the fans together at the same % depending if they are PWM

Pachimari

Stock fan meaning Case fan? You can connect it to sys_fan aswell your choice, CPU fan normally runs the fans together at the same % depending if they are PWM

Okay, I'll take a look at it. :)

Also, I don't know what to do about these cables? I got 1 of those on the left, and 3 of those on the right sticking out from the computer case.

Is it also normal that there's a yellow spot on the motherboard? Might be from the leaked water?

maneil99

Okay, I'll take a look at it. :)

Also, I don't know what to do about these cables? I got 1 of those on the left, and 3 of those on the right sticking out from the computer case.

Is it also normal that there's a yellow spot on the motherboard? Might be from the leaked water?
Those are molex, commonly used for case fans. Chances are if its from the front of the case its the case fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom