• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzon

Almost done guys. Just 3 more questions

1) Where do I connect the power switch, LED switch and reset switch on the motherboard? I have a Gigabyte UD4H to be specific

2) Do I use the 6 pin or 8 pin connector for the graphics card?

3) Can I connect my optical drive from SATA to PSU?

kennah

Almost done guys. Just 3 more questions

1) Where do I connect the power switch, LED switch and reset switch on the motherboard? I have a Gigabyte UD4H to be specific

2) Do I use the 6 pin or 8 pin connector for the graphics card?

3) Can I connect my optical drive from SATA to PSU?

1. It's in your motherboard manual.

2. You have to use what your video card requires. If there are 8 pin holes, you need an 8 pin.

3. Umm... It requires two connections. Data (skinny port) and power (wider port)

Panzon

1. It's in your motherboard manual.

2. You have to use what your video card requires. If there are 8 pin holes, you need an 8 pin.

3. Umm... It requires two connections. Data (skinny port) and power (wider port)

1) Just found it. Thanks

2) The GTX 780 has one 6 pin and one 8 pin. That means I have to connect both yeah?

3) My stupid optical drive didn't come with anything else. Guess I'm screwed til I can buy those connectors

1) Just found it. Thanks

2) The GTX 780 has one 6 pin and one 8 pin. That means I have to connect both yeah?

3) My stupid optical drive didn't come with anything else. Guess I'm screwed til I can buy those connectors

Optical drive uses the same connectors as hard drives. You should have some extra included with the motherboard.

You have to have all the connectors on your GPU populated, yes.

axb2013

1) Just found it. Thanks

2) Both need to be connected.

3) Look through accessories in PSU and mobo boxes, maybe you are lucky.

Panzon

Well here she is guys

FqRRtMd.jpg

Gonna troubleshoot everything and pray it works

Edit: Well, shit. Not even a peep. WTF could have gone wrong? Maybe when I forced the heat sink screw into the motherboard? I know all the connections are correct. I mean it took 2 fucking days for fucks sake. This is fucking depressing. GOD DAMN IT!!!

Oh well at least I tried

Bii

Well here she is guys

FqRRtMd.jpg

Gonna troubleshoot everything and pray it works

Edit: Well, shit. Not even a peep. WTF could have gone wrong? Maybe when I forced the heat sink screw into the motherboard? I know all the connections are correct. I mean it took 2 fucking days for fucks sake. This is fucking depressing. GOD DAMN IT!!!

Oh well at least I tried

Are you saying it doesn't power on? Can you be a bit more specific?

Oh well at least I tried

First check to see if you connected the power button leads to the motherboard correctly. Then reseat the big 24-pin motherboard power connector if that doesn't work.

Panzon

I'm an idiot. I was pressing the power button the opposite way. Got it turned on but nothing shows up on the screen. Fans are running, gpu is lit and motherboard power button is also lit. Could the CPU be the problem?

I'm an idiot. I was pressing the power button the opposite way. Got it turned on but nothing shows up on the screen. Fans are running, gpu is lit and motherboard power button is also lit. Could the CPU be the problem?

Try connecting your monitor to your motherboard, if that works then the GPU isn't installed properly (or there's some other issue related to it).

Panzon

Try connecting your monitor to your motherboard, if that works then the GPU isn't installed properly.

Im using my tv... Friend was supposed to lend me his extra monitor but changed his mind. Im using HDMI but the screen is black. I plugged the keyboard and the LEDs turned on so now Im stuck and dont even know how to shut the computer down

Im using my tv... Friend was supposed to lend me his extra monitor but changed his mind. Im using HDMI but the screen is black. I plugged the keyboard and the LEDs turned on so now Im stuck and dont even know how to shut the computer down

Just press the power button again. Your motherboard has HDMI on it right? Connect it to that.

First check to see if you connected the power button leads to the motherboard correctly. Then reseat the big 24-pin motherboard power connector if that doesn't work.

This.
That's why my first build wouldn't boot up and I was like "damn this whole PC build things it just sucks". After changing 1 single, 3mm wide cable, it worked like a charm.. haha

take out the GPU and connect your monitor to your motherboard video port and see if it shows up there.

Is your GPU-fan spinning? If not, check the power connectors from PSU to GPU.

Panzon

I have the HDMI connected to the motherboard but nothing is happening. I have to go to bed though so I'll report back sometime tomorrow. Shit sucks but oh well. Thanks for the help guys

Edit: yes GPU fan is spinning, all fans are spinning, motherboard light is on, GPU geforce logo is glowing, keyboard is lit...

My brain wants to keep going but my eyes are failing me. Good night everyone

Trying turning tv on and off. I know mine will not pick up a device if I plug it in while the tv is on. Sometimes I have to turn it on and off

I have the HDMI connected to the motherboard but nothing is happening. I have to go to bed though so I'll report back sometime tomorrow. Shit sucks but oh well. Thanks for the help guys

Edit: yes GPU fan is spinning, all fans are spinning, motherboard light is on, GPU geforce logo is glowing, keyboard is lit...

If the GPU is working, then the TV should be connected to the GPU.

If you are using a TV instead of a monitor, you could try to FIRST turn on the TV, pick the "digital input" where you connected the PC, THEN turn on the PC and wait if it gets a picture.

My TV will not show any picture at all and will go to sleep-mode if I turn on the PC before the TV.. only thing I can do to avoid this is re-connecting the DVI once or twice, or by doing it like I said.

Hope that this helps, I know how frustrating a failure at the first build can be, been there done that. /:

Mohasus

Try inserting your CPU power cable again, I've seen this problem some times.

Can you try connecting a normal monitor through your motherboard's VGA or DVI connection? It's possible the HDMI port might be bad, or won't work in BIOS.

Josman

So... when is Haswell-e expected? I'm building my first PC soon (2 months tops), I need a 4670k so I expect the price to drop by the time next gen releases.

Kevin

So I determined that my 4 year old Corsair 128gb SSD drive that I used to boot my computer with has kicked the bucket. Got it when SSD was still the new thing and I paid $400 for it.

Anyways I am out of the loop when it comes to modern SSD tech. I didn't personally notice any speed improvements from my SSD drive over a regular hard drive though I don't know how fast today's SSD drives are.

My question is this: Is it worth upgrading to a modern say 256gb SSD drive (any recommendations?) or better to just buy a 4tb regular hard drive for a similar price?

LilJoka

There must have been something horribly wrong with your SSD if you noticed no difference against a HDD.
You'll want an SSD for sure, a crucial m500 or samsung SSD will do you good.

So I determined that my 4 year old Corsair 128gb SSD drive that I used to boot my computer with has kicked the bucket. Got it when SSD was still the new thing and I paid $400 for it.

Anyways I am out of the loop when it comes to modern SSD tech. I didn't personally notice any speed improvements from my SSD drive over a regular hard drive though I don't know how fast today's SSD drives are.

My question is this: Is it worth upgrading to a modern say 256gb SSD drive (any recommendations?) or better to just buy a 4tb regular hard drive for a similar price?

Surprised you couldn't notice a difference, although my first SSD was two years ago so maybe they had improved by then? I could never go back to a HDD as my main drive, the difference in game load times and just booting the system is huge to me.

Akai__

So... when is Haswell-e expected? I'm building my first PC soon (2 months tops), I need a 4670k so I expect the price to drop by the time next gen releases.

Q2, but it's unlikely, that you will see a huge price drop on CPU's, because they usually tend to stay on the same price (for example the 3770K still is 290€ here and you can get a 4770K for the same price). You should keep your eyes open on deals, though.

nkarafo

My biggest concern right now is if its worth it buying an older generation i5 CPU now. I need to be able to upgrade the CPU in 2 or 3 years, without changing the motherboard. Is socket LGA1150 safe? Are 3rd generation CPUs safe? Or should i get the most modern ones?

Also i know that the "K" letter after the name of a CPU means its good for overclocking. But what do "T" and "S" mean?

cyen

My biggest concern right now is if its worth it buying an older generation i5 CPU now. I need to be able to upgrade the CPU in 2 or 3 years, without changing the motherboard. Is socket LGA1150 safe? Are 3rd generation CPUs safe? Or should i get the most modern ones?

Also i know that the "K" letter after the name of a CPU means its good for overclocking. But what do "T" and "S" mean?

There is no safe socket for Intel unless you go E series.

eot

Banned

You'll probably need a new mobo the next time you want to upgrade your CPU, but on the upside you probably won't need to upgrade your CPU for ages. It's not like how it used to be.

LilJoka

Surprised you couldn't notice a difference, although my first SSD was two years ago so maybe they had improved by then? I could never go back to a HDD as my main drive, the difference in game load times and just booting the system is huge to me.

The random read write performance has always been light years ahead of HDDs simply because of flash based vs rotating disk. Thats where most of the loading time performance is gained especially with applications and Windows OS (due to small file sizes).
A HDD barely hits 1MB/s on 4k random R/W, the earliest SSDs hit 20MB/s, and now we are at about 30MB/s.

Thoughts on the following build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($123.95 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($344.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($136.50 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1349.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-19 09:16 EDT-0400)

Your Current Specs: iMac, so not much use for this.
Budget: $1450, US
Main Use: This is purely a gaming machine, nearly everything else done on other computer.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, already owned.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps on High (at least) on games like Wildstar / Dark Souls 2 / DayZ.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope
When will you build?: As soon as I make up my mind on specs.
Will you be overclocking? Not now, but okay with preparing myself for eventuality.

Panzon

Looking at the connections and think I found the problem. I used one of those multiple SATA connectors for the SSD and HDD running to the PSU. I have the other multiple SATA cable connected from ATX4P and optical drive to the PSU.

Could this be the problem?

Sky Chief

What would be the main advantage(s) of the 4770k over the 4670k? All the benchmarks I am seeing make it look like they are pretty close but one is ~$100 cheaper.

Stubo

What would be the main advantage(s) of the 4770k over the 4670k? All the benchmarks I am seeing make it look like they are pretty close but one is ~$100 cheaper.
Hyperthreading. It's not being taken advantage of for gaming yet, really...but in the future it could prove to make a difference (see the Watch_Dogs specs thread for example). Has current real benefits for professional uses.
Hnnnnngggg I have to think on this.
It begins.

Is now a good time to upgrade my graphics card? I want an Nvidia Shield, but my 570 GTX is not compatible. Is now a good time, or are new revisions/die shrinks coming in the near future (3-4 months)?

knitoe

Wow compatibility for something that's 4 years old is pretty good.

I have the deluxe version of that MB. It's closer to 2.5 years old. And, DDR3 has been around for 5 years. Later this year, we finally move to DDR4. I can finally upgrade.

Is now a good time to upgrade my graphics card? I want an Nvidia Shield, but my 570 GTX is not compatible. Is now a good time, or are new revisions/die shrinks coming in the near future (3-4 months)?
Maxwell is suppose to be in the next couple of months. Probably, best to wait for that.

PaulLFC

Just looking for some opinions on whether I should go for a PC with a 780ti 3GB, or wait for the 880 at this point?

I found a great deal on a pre-built PC with a 780ti, 4770k, 16GB memory, Corsair 750w PSU and Win8 for £1200 - having priced it up parts wise it works out about £90 more expensive than buying and building myself which isn't bad at all considering the included warranty and the fact I've never built a PC before and probably wouldn't want to risk it when spending that much on components.

The deal was at eBay of all places, but the seller has 99.7% positive feedback from 36000+ ratings, so that doesn't worry me. Only drawbacks I could see in the spec were only a 1TB hDD (no SSD) and a fairly cheap case (Zalman Z3+). Everything else looks good quality from what I can see.

Just looking for advice really, go for that for £1200 now or wait and get an 880 build in a few months, but probably end up paying quite a bit more? I'd like this to last at least 3 years if not more if possible, playing at 1080p so with a 780ti, 4770k and 16GB that shouldn't be difficult, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom