• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Just looking for some opinions on whether I should go for a PC with a 780ti 3GB, or wait for the 880 at this point?

I found a great deal on a pre-built PC with a 780ti, 4770k, 16GB memory, Corsair 750w PSU and Win8 for £1200 - having priced it up parts wise it works out about £90 more expensive than buying and building myself which isn't bad at all considering the included warranty and the fact I've never built a PC before and probably wouldn't want to risk it when spending that much on components.

The deal was at eBay of all places, but the seller has 99.7% positive feedback from 36000+ ratings, so that doesn't worry me. Only drawbacks I could see in the spec were only a 1TB hDD (no SSD) and a fairly cheap case (Zalman Z3+). Everything else looks good quality from what I can see.

Just looking for advice really, go for that for £1200 now or wait and get an 880 build in a few months, but probably end up paying quite a bit more? I'd like this to last at least 3 years if not more if possible, playing at 1080p so with a 780ti, 4770k and 16GB that shouldn't be difficult, right?

Another drawback is that PSU. It's pretty medicore. Building wise you could get a better case and PSU this way if you're interested plus an SSD and a cooler to OC the CPU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£215.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£121.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£52.30 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£52.50 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.73 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (£480.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.89 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£90.32 @ Aria PC)
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro (MSDN COPY) (£5.96)
Total: £1166.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-19 17:08 BST+0100)

Only thing to be aware of is the key for W8 is an MSDN one but it wouldn't bother me. If you need 16GB RAM it'd work out at the same price but if you're just gaming there is no need for more than 8GB, and the 4770K is debatable too but if you're going balls deep with the 780 Ti you might as well.

If the 880 is only as far away as June I'd wait off to see what it brings. It's not too long in the grand scheme of things.

I was really hoping to do an extravagant (at least for me) full PC build for myself by the end of the year but based on the leaks so far, the graphics card landscape doesn't look like it will be particularly great for an upgrade.

I currently have an i7 930 @3.9 Ghz and a HD7970 @1100Mhz/1500Mhz. It hasn't necessarily let me down, yet, though I'm still just gaming at 1080p/60 until I do this upgrade. The plan was Haswell E, 8 core (6 if it overclocks better and proves better for gaming) and dual highend 20nm Maxwell. I imagine building a Haswell-E machine and reusing the 7970 until the right cards become available wouldn't be a great idea.

I have the deluxe version of that MB. It's closer to 2.5 years old. And, DDR3 has been around for 5 years. Later this year, we finally move to DDR4. I can finally upgrade.

Is DDR4 a big difference? I want to upgrade in pieces. My old rig needs RAM and a new video card, so I want to upgrade those first...

Man, upgrading PCs is like a waiting game.

knitoe

Is DDR4 a big difference? I want to upgrade in pieces. My old rig needs RAM and a new video card, so I want to upgrade those first...

Man, upgrading PCs is like a waiting game.
If I had to guess, at first, DDR4 performance will probably be similar to DDR3. And, it's going to be very expensive. Enthusiast only for a year or so.

Stubo

If the past is anything to go by DDR4 motherboards will not support DDR3. The notches will almost certainly be in a different place to prevent anything other than DDR4 being put into the slots, like below:

dAovPmT.jpg

Ashhong

Hey mkenyon or anybody else with an R4, can you post a pic of your cable management on both sides of the motherboard? I'm struggling and would like a good idea of how to route these cables

kennah

Why mother fuckers? You can't design something to be compatible with specs that don't even exist yet. Ddr3 has been around a good long while.

riflen

DDR4 wont provide much of a benefit over DDR3 for games, where you'll be using discrete GPUs. Especially when it's first introduced as its frequency will likely be 2133Mhz.

Bii

Hey mkenyon or anybody else with an R4, can you post a pic of your cable management on both sides of the motherboard? I'm struggling and would like a good idea of how to route these cables

Here's mine (reposting some pics again from earlier in this thread):

12858590173_353d9efbb3_o.jpg

12858522075_03474830e0_o.jpg

13120293945_798d67f32a_o.jpg

The first picture is not what my case looks like now. The only additions were that of an optical drive and two HDDs, but it doesn't look much different than it does in that picture.

Edit: If anyone still wants to purchase a G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 RAM from me, I'm offering it for $50 shipped within the US. They were used for less than a month before I upgraded. Here's a link to the product page where I purchased them from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

NoRéN

it still amazes me how great some of you are with cable management.

I swear, if any of you are ever in the L.A. area, i'll pay you to do the cable management for my case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NoRéN;108754137 said:

I swear, if any of you are ever in the L.A. area, i'll pay you to do the cable management for my case.
k

Is it me or have I been noticing that a lot of people have been buying parts separately over a period of time? I thought the general consensus is to buy all your parts at one time?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is it me or have I been noticing that a lot of people have been buying parts separately over a period of time? I thought the general consensus is to buy all your parts at one time?
Things like Case, PSU, RAM, Heatsink, DVD, SSD, HDD aren't really going to change that much in 3 months so it's fine to grab parts on sale if you are waiting on cash for everything.

If power supplies at the bottom of the case are pretty much standard now, how come the CPU power connector is still all the way at the top? Same with the mobo connector for that matter.

Ashhong

The first picture is not what my case looks like now. The only additions were that of an optical drive and two HDDs, but it doesn't look much different than it does in that picture.

Edit: If anyone still wants to purchase a G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 RAM from me, I'm offering it for $50 shipped within the US. They were used for less than a month before I upgraded. Here's a link to the product page where I purchased them from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

Good god the back is so clean! Thanks for these. Gonna move my 24 pin power to the top grommet like you now

Sky Chief

What is that mat that you have your PC on? Do you have a picture with the side panel window on? Thanks!

hasn't been like that in a long time imo.

unless you cant bother waiting or got all the parts for a good deal, then you can buy it piecemeal and as Hazaro stated above the mentioned parts wont change much.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So tempted on buying a R9 290X as my Graphics card for the next 3 years to play all coming games at 1080p at 60 FPS at maximum AA (hopefully). Would that be sufficient enough? This is coming from someone with a cross fire AMD 6970 2 GB X 2

Why mother fuckers? You can't design something to be compatible with specs that don't even exist yet. Ddr3 has been around a good long while.

It means that if I want to buy DDR3 RAM now and want to bring it to a new mobo for Broadwell and Skylake, if that mobo is DDR4, I wasted my money.

DDR4 wont provide much of a benefit over DDR3 for games, where you'll be using discrete GPUs. Especially when it's first introduced as its frequency will likely be 2133Mhz.

I'm not concerned with the RAM, just the mobo.

appaws

Banned
NoRéN;108754137 said:

Get yourself an Air 540. It makes everyone look like a cable management superstar.

kennah

It means that if I want to buy DDR3 RAM now and want to bring it to a new mobo for Broadwell and Skylake, if that mobo is DDR4, I wasted my money.

I'm not concerned with the RAM, just the mobo.
*shrug* not much you can do at the end of a generation. Wait, and buy ddr4 an have it last 4-6 years like ddr3 did.

kennah

You're 4gig of ram and a new gpu away from a computer that will last years anyway.

Or sit tight on what you have, sell it and upgrade when the new stuff gets sorted out.

Hell even 8 gigs of DDR2 is impossible to find for less than $60. Ram is one of those things that doesn't really go down because we can always use it and it comes with lifetime warranties. Prices are the way they are because of the fire and reduced manufacturing quantities.

But yeah the 2600k is years away from losing relevancy.

VLEXP

been asking here about computer parts for a while now, I just recently decided to build my pc around the 780 classified.

Here is what I cam up with.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3uJpJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3uJpJ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3uJpJ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($559.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $1196.41
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-19 19:07 EDT-0400)

Kiru

been asking here about computer parts for a while now, I just recently decided to build my pc around the 780 classified.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.50 @ Amazon)
Why no SSD? Would make a nice performance boost.

kharma45

You can knock the cost down a bit without skimping on quality at all

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1134.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-19 19:12 EDT-0400)

You could an an SSD for $75 too and come out around what you'd originally budget.

You're 4gig of ram and a new gpu away from a computer that will last years anyway.

Or sit tight on what you have, sell it and upgrade when the new stuff gets sorted out.

Hell even 8 gigs of DDR2 is impossible to find for less than $60. Ram is one of those things that doesn't really go down because we can always use it and it comes with lifetime warranties. Prices are the way they are because of the fire and reduced manufacturing quantities.

But yeah the 2600k is years away from losing relevancy.

The thing is I think my mobo went to shit. I'm getting crashes, my harddrives like to disappear, and my video card like to crash or stop working.

I've tested those other components on another PC and it works fine, so I think my mobo gone to hell. I could just buy a mobo that works for cheap and get RAM and video card upgrade I guess.

Also, I got my 4gigs for an INSANE sale of $8 (store sale and MIR).

appaws

Banned
Hey anyone looking for deals on GPUs....

I have been noticing on ebay that the R9 290 and 290x cards are starting to go for really low prices....some for 50 or 70 bucks below MSRP.

What they probably are is miners unloading them....so you have to be aware that they might have been ridden hard....but if you are willing to take the chance a R9 290 for less than $350 bucks is a steal.

I see 290x cards on there for low prices as well.

Anyone know how the warranties work on these? Do they go past the first owner. So if you buy one used and it tanks are you covered???

So a friend of mine is interested in building a new PC since his is quite dated and still runs on Vista. His budget is around $800-$900 US.
At the very least a gaming PC able to run most but not all games at 60fps @ max settings/1080p.
He'd like to get this up and running before next month and has no intention of overclocking.
I quickly came up with this and was hoping for some feedback on where he can save a bit.

CPU
Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $159.99
Memory
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.99
Storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99
Video Card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card $299.99
Case
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $57.99
Power Supply
SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.99
Monitor
Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor $157.00
Total: $939.93
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3uLDk

Bii

What is that mat that you have your PC on? Do you have a picture with the side panel window on? Thanks!

The mat is just a dinner placemat I bought from Target. Can't find it on the site any more but they were $3/$4 each.

And the only pictures I have right now with the side panel on are these:

12922088314_231e8f4e12_o.jpg

13120572334_bffcfa34d7_o.jpg

If you really want me to, I can snap better pictures later tonight.

TheD

The Detective
How can people live with their PC right next to them on the desk like that?
(with the heat and noise they produce)

Guri

Hi there.

I just bought a Corsair H60 Water Cooler to try my first overclock. For that, I tried this guide. The motherboard is an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 with an i7 2600k and I tried the values suggested in that guide. Then, on the first couple of seconds of stress test with Prime 95, the temperature went to around 90°C. Am I doing anything wrong? Should I change any configuration at the fan/cooler? If so, could you please explain in details for me, since this is the first time I do that?

Thanks in advance!

With aiming the exhaust towards you that could be uncomfortable, if your rig gets warm. But most recently built rigs I've seen are really quiet and aren't really all that hot.

I can barely hear mine except for the occasional coil whine, but it's still near silent all the time.

kennah

The R4 is designed with a whole lot of sound dampening features. Between that and modern psu/ video cards I wouldn't be surprised if he could barely hear it when it is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom