• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskowitz

How can people live with their PC right next to them on the desk like that?
(with the heat and noise they produce)

I have an R4 and it makes next to no noise and unless I am running a very intensive game, produces little heat. The only issue would be space.

Bii

Still, that's a lot of desk space you're losing.

Right now, I can't hear my PC. Noise/heat is not an issue.

Space isn't an issue either. What you see in that picture is what I keep on my desk. Other than an occasional cup or two, I don't have anything else on there.

Panzon

FINALLY GOT IT TO BOOT UP. W9OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!

Don't have windows yet though :(

Also, what does "ae" mean on the motherboard LEDs?

PaulLFC

Another drawback is that PSU. It's pretty medicore. Building wise you could get a better case and PSU this way if you're interested plus an SSD and a cooler to OC the CPU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£215.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£121.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£52.30 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£52.50 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.73 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (£480.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.89 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£90.32 @ Aria PC)
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro (MSDN COPY) (£5.96)
Total: £1166.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-19 17:08 BST+0100)

Only thing to be aware of is the key for W8 is an MSDN one but it wouldn't bother me. If you need 16GB RAM it'd work out at the same price but if you're just gaming there is no need for more than 8GB, and the 4770K is debatable too but if you're going balls deep with the 780 Ti you might as well.

If the 880 is only as far away as June I'd wait off to see what it brings. It's not too long in the grand scheme of things.
Thanks for this, I didn't realise the PSU was bad, I'd assumed it'd be fairly decent being Corsair since most of their other products seem to be of quite a high standard. Will bear that in mind when deciding on parts though.

I may wait until the 880, but my current setup is definitely showing its age now.

Sky Chief

The mat is just a dinner placemat I bought from Target. Can't find it on the site any more but they were $3/$4 each.

And the only pictures I have right now with the side panel on are these:

If you really want me to, I can snap better pictures later tonight.

Wow, that looks great! No need for more pics but I would love to get your impressions on the case? Pros? Cons? Have you modified it in any way? Why did you pick the R4 in particular? What other cases did you consider? Did it live up to expectations? Sorry to ask so many questions but I am looking at this, the XL R2, and Nanoxia DS1.

Thinking about getting one of the new 6 GB 780tis. How much could I sell my current 4GB GTX670 for? Going to link my current pc just to make sure there wouldn't be any issues, built it around 2 years ago.

Link

Panzon

Wow, that looks great! No need for more pics but I would love to get your impressions on the case? Pros? Cons? Have you modified it in any way? Why did you pick the R4 in particular? What other cases did you consider? Did it live up to expectations? Sorry to ask so many questions but I am looking at this, the XL R2, and Nanoxia DS1.
I can't really find any con's on the R4 tbh. It has great spacing for airflow and cable management. It's like the case does the cable management for you. It was also very easy to put everything together once I got the hang of it and knew where everything belonged.

The case is also very appealing astheatically from inside and out. Not much else I can say for now but maybe look at some YouTube videos for more info

kennah

Thinking about getting one of the new 6 GB 780tis. How much could I sell my current 4GB GTX670 for? Going to link my current pc just to make sure there wouldn't be any issues, built it around 2 years ago.

Link
You'll have no issues installing it. Should be able to get between $150-200 for your card depending on version/locality.

someone is selling this:

- Corsair 900D case

- Gigabyte G.1 Sniper 5 with WIFI & Sound Card (1150 socket) Water Cooling ready with fittings!

- Intel 4770k 1150 socket processor, overclocked to 4.2

- eVGA GTX 770 SC w/ACX cooler

- Corsair Dominater platinum Ram 16GB kit 2 sticks

- Corsair h110 water cooling

- Corsair 1200i AX power supply W/ Corsair Link

- 1 TB caviar black drive 7200 RPM

- 128GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series

- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit with disk and key

- Corsair K95 vengeance keyboard

- corsair m65 mouse

- BenQ 24" BL2410 LED monitor

for $1500.

yay or nay?

You'll have no issues installing it. Should be able to get between $150-200 for your card depending on version/locality.

What do you mean by that? Is a NA 4GB model and has "superclocked" on the box so it's one of the factory overclocked models. Have never sold a graphics card before(have always kept them and put them into junk computers, lol)

One other question I had though, is using a graphics card as a physx only unit still a thing? Is there any benefit?

kennah

Evga? You should pretty easily get $200 for it.

Physx as a separate card isn't really a thing these days as a) only a few games use it b) the hardware advanced so fast that often the replacement card will handle physx better without the second card. There isn't much point in it since the 5xx series.

Yes, it's an EVGA card. And yeah, it was around then that I remember reading about it. Has just stuck in my mind and this is the first time when it would actually be feasible(I upgraded to an 670 from a 8800gts)

kennah

I don't have them in front of me but there are some entertaining benchmarks out there that show how adding a lesser card to handle physx actually reduces performance.

Link

The 6GB variation is a waste of money. You might as well get the 3GB base version and spend the extra $200 on a new SSD or something.

scogoth

3x 4K screens running 32-bit colour at 16-bit depth would use 1.7GB of VRAM just for pixel information, add on geometry and textures you could use 6GB with 26.5 million pixels.

So there is a case for 6GB!

In case anyone missed, this is my sarcastic way of saying 3GB is more than enough

The 6GB variation is a waste of money. You might as well get the 3GB base version and spend the extra $200 on a new SSD or something.

It should only like 50 dollars more right? Plan on downsampling and getting a 4K monitor later this year so I imagine it'll have its uses for the little extra.

3x 4K screens running 32-bit colour at 16-bit depth would use 1.7GB of VRAM just for pixel information, add on geometry and textures you could use 6GB with 26.5 million pixels.

So there is a case for 6GB!

In case anyone missed, this is my sarcastic way of saying 3GB is more than enough

It also doesn't help that these cards run out of processing power well before they are memory constricted.

It should only like 50 dollars more right? Plan on downsampling and getting a 4K monitor later this year so I imagine it'll have its uses for the little extra.

They claim it will only be $50 more for the GTX 780 6GB, but no word that I can see for the GTX 780 Ti--which will probably carry a premium. The bigger issue is that the card won't have enough processing power to effectively use 6GB of VRAM. There is almost no situation--even with a 4K screen--that you would be handling 6GB of textures (or more realistically 550MB of pixel information and 5.45GB of textures) and your GPU isn't already bottlenecked.

I've read about people using more than 3GB with a bunch of Skyrim mods. I guess that's a very rare occurrence and won't happen in many other games though.

Giggzy

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if anyone is interested in buying an already built 2 month old small form factor gaming PC then PM me.

Specs:
EVGA hadron air case w/built in 500W PSU
Intel i5 3570k cpu
Evga Nvidia gtx760 2gb superclocked
8GB DDR3 corsair vengeance ram
WD Blue 500gb 7200 RPM HDD
AsRock z87 m-itx Mobo
Also throwing in Logitech gaming MMO mouse and steelseries backlit keyboard.

I can go into more details in PM.

Thanks and sorry!

It also doesn't help that these cards run out of processing power well before they are memory constricted.

They claim it will only be $50 more for the GTX 780 6GB, but no word that I can see for the GTX 780 Ti--which will probably carry a premium. The bigger issue is that the card won't have enough processing power to effectively use 6GB of VRAM. There is almost no situation--even with a 4K screen--that you would be handling 6GB of textures (or more realistically 550MB of pixel information and 5.45GB of textures) and your GPU isn't already bottlenecked.

I've read people in the Skyrim thread that are using 4GBs. It's such a rare thing but as long as the difference isn't absurd I wouldn't mind going for it, especially as who knows what the first real tech pushers of the new gen will have in store. If nothing else......SUPER SKYRIM.

Of course if they do charge 200 dollars more then lol

I've read about people using more than 3GB with a bunch of Skyrim mods. I guess that's a very rare occurrence and won't happen in many other games though.

Skyrim handles memory very awkwardly, and I think the numbers people get are misleading. You have to remember that Skyrim is by default a 32-bit application which means it can never truly access more than 3GB--that's combined system and video memory. Yes, you can activate LAA but that doesn't actually make it a full 64-bit application, it just kind of stagers the way memory is handled. It's kind of like HyperThreading for memory management--with hundreds of times more errors.

I've read people in the Skyrim thread that are using 4GBs. It's such a rare thing but as long as the difference isn't absurd I wouldn't mind going for it, especially as who knows what the first real tech pushers of the new gen will have in store. If nothing else......SUPER SKYRIM.

Of course if they do charge 200 dollars more then lol

See above. Also, there are zero recorded occurances of 4/6/8GB variations of cards offering performance gains over their 2/3/4GB versions. The cards are optimized in such a way that they can only effectively move memory around within X amount of space. Doubling it is generally pointless.

Bii

The only one thing I didn't like about the case, and this is purely just my opinion and from my own experience, is that since I got the windowed version, that side window is easily scratched. There are some light swirl marks on my window due to my own fault when I was putting my build together. I instinctively grabbed a napkin to wipe away some lint/dust that fell upon it when I should have used a microfiber cloth. It's not a big deal to me now but if I would have started all over, I would have been more careful.

Besides that, the case is everything I wanted and more. Cable management's a breeze, there's enough room for me to fit my selected components in there without having to modify anything and it's aesthetically pleasing inside and out. The only "modification" I've done was just removing the 5-slot HDD tray for better airflow, but that thing was meant to be either taken off or placed in. I did consider a few other cases besides the R4. They were the Corsair 760T and the NZXT H440. Both of those cases were not released yet when I created my build and I didn't think they were worth the wait. The 760T looked great but it didn't seem so sturdy when you have the side panel opened; though I can't imagine you'd have the side panel open for long. Also, I'm not sure how well it handled noise after having not seen any/much sound dampening materials inside the case. The H440 looked great as well but I wanted the option to have 5.25" bays and the H440 did not have any. I did end up getting an optical drive (mostly for ripping PS2 games and installing any physical PC games I bought) and I may end up getting a fan controller if I decide to add more fans to the case, so the R4 was an easy choice for me. I have no regrets paying full price for mine ($119.99) even when I could have waited for it to go on sale, which it eventually did shortly after I had purchased it.

Skyrim handles memory very awkwardly, and I think the numbers people get are misleading. You have to remember that Skyrim is by default a 32-bit application which means it can never truly access more than 3GB--that's combined system and video memory. Yes, you can activate LAA but that doesn't actually make it a full 64-bit application, it just kind of stagers the way memory is handled. It's kind of like HyperThreading for memory management--with hundreds of times more errors.

See above. Also, there are zero recorded occurances of 4/6/8GB variations of cards offering performance gains over their 2/3/4GB versions. The cards are optimized in such a way that they can only effectively move memory around within X amount of space. Doubling it is generally pointless.

Interesting! I've also read about cards with more VRAM using over 3GB (for example) but for no apparent reason? Seems like if the VRAM is there then it uses it.

Like I said, will wait and see how much the difference is. If it's 50 bucks then it will be worth the future proofing. People told me hyperthreading was useless so I got an i5 and then Crysis 3 and Arma 3 came out ;-;

Interesting! I've also read about cards with more VRAM using over 3GB (for example) but for no apparent reason? Seems like if the VRAM is there then it uses it.

Probably thinking of Battlefield 3/4. They for some reason can scale the amount of VRAM it uses, with no noticeable change in image quality or texture size. It just somehow dumps more crap into the VRAM if there is more available (some guys at TPU tested it with BF3 compring 4GB and 2GB GTX 680's).

Do new cards generally become available every where at the same time? I'm in the UK and wonder if there is a delay between new releases and them making their way over here.

Geneijin

I have trouble finding an answer to this so I'm asking here.

What kind of temps should I expect on average with a stock cooler with a i3-4330? I'm seeing 45-50 C, and I'm not liking those numbers until someone can inform me otherwise. Thanks in advance.

If I was to just get a 3 GBti which would be the model to grab? I like EVGA so preferably from them.

I like MSI Twin Frozer Edition best, almost silent really cool. Also the ASUS DCUII version is also great.

I have trouble finding an answer to this so I'm asking here.

What kind of temps should I expect on average with a stock cooler with a i3-4330? I'm seeing 45-50 C, and I'm not liking those numbers until someone can inform me otherwise. Thanks in advance.
What kind of temps? Load? Idle? 45-50C is a little high for idle, however if that's load it's doing a great job.

Geneijin

What kind of temps? Load? Idle? 45-50C is a little high for idle, however if that's load it's doing a great job.
Oops. Forgot to mention idle. On load... well, I got a disk read error when downloading Window 7 updates from a fresh install after it restarted that I think might be related to the temps?

Someone in the steam thread mentioned that the 880 is expected in June now so I suppose I should probably wait, especially as they will probably throw in Watch Dogs in then instead of the 10 dollar Daylight. Man, I really want to upgrade now though. Suppose a month or two isn't all that long.

aka_bueno

So, anyone here have any experience building a Hackintosh?

Is it a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble or is it almost as easy to set up as a fresh Windows build?

I'm close to selling my Macbook Pro, which I will use the money to build a new PC...and this thought just entered my mind so I was just curious. I'm thinking just getting the right hardware would be pretty limiting anyways so don't bother?

Ashhong

The black insulation tape on the base plate of my CM 212 Evo is coming off. Is that ok?

During the time of building my PC I have constantly pressed it back on, but it just starts peeling off again

Oops. Forgot to mention idle. On load... well, I got a disk read error when downloading Window 7 updates from a fresh install after it restarted that I think might be related to the temps?

45-50C on load is the best you could hope for with stock cooling. Considering you didn't spend money on an aftermarket cooler don't be greedy haha

LordAlu

So a friend of mine is interested in building a new PC since his is quite dated and still runs on Vista. His budget is around $800-$900 US.
At the very least a gaming PC able to run most but not all games at 60fps @ max settings/1080p.
He'd like to get this up and running before next month and has no intention of overclocking.
I quickly came up with this and was hoping for some feedback on where he can save a bit.

CPU
Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $159.99
Memory
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.99
Storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99
Video Card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card $299.99
Case
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $57.99
Power Supply
SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.99
Monitor
Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor $157.00
Total: $939.93
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3uLDk
No motherboard or Windows in there? Do you already have those? You don't need a 4GB 760 either, nor an optical drive (although I've kept one in the build below).

You'd be looking at something like this for a full system:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($20.00 @ Reddit)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($143.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $903.14
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-20 03:43 EDT-0400)

I'd try and squeeze an SSD in there if you could, like a Cruical M500 or Samsung EVO. If you live near a Microcenter, use that to get a motherboard/CPU combination and put the saving towards the SSD.

aka_bueno

Question: if I'm building an m-ITX build, with only 2 memory slots and I want to aim for 16GBs, but also want to save $ up front by going with a single 8GB stick (and getting another down the line to make 16) would I be losing noticeable performance by not getting say 2x4GB sticks in dual channel?

No motherboard or Windows in there? Do you already have those? You don't need a 4GB 760 either, nor an optical drive (although I've kept one in the build below).

You'd be looking at something like this for a full system:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($20.00 @ Reddit)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($143.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $903.14
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-20 03:43 EDT-0400)

I'd try and squeeze an SSD in there if you could, like a Cruical M500 or Samsung EVO.
Can't believe the MB slipped my mind. The OS I believe he'll get by using his .edu address.
As for the 4GB 760, I threw that in there cause it was only $40 more.
To save a few would it be best to go with an AMD build?
I'll pass this on either way.
Much appreciated.

Mohasus

So, anyone here have any experience building a Hackintosh?

Is it a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble or is it almost as easy to set up as a fresh Windows build?

I'm close to selling my Macbook Pro, which I will use the money to build a new PC...and this thought just entered my mind so I was just curious. I'm thinking just getting the right hardware would be pretty limiting anyways so don't bother?

It is quite easy once you learn how to do it. It is a simple OS install (create a install USB using UniBeast) + drivers later (using Multibeast). However, if you have problem, which is likely, you'll need patience and google.
www.tonymacx86.com, check the guides.

The right hardware is just an intel CPU.

Ashhong

Hmmmm the hard drive that I have installed in my R4 is vibrating my PC a lot. I used the anti vibration screws and it's still vibrating the entire case and is very loud when I access it. That can't be normal?

DagsJT

Any suggestions on an improvement to my stock EVGA GTX 680? Could do with a bit more power from the card and also my card only has one fan so ramps up a bit when gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom