• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about that. MST support is still shoddy on both. I had the Dell 31.5" and ran into some issues with power saving / half screen paired with my 780, but people on the Dell forums with AMD cards were also having the same problems...

At any rate with single tile 4K monitors now coming out I would avoid those with MST.

I agree, MST is a kludge that should be avoided.

Now that the single stream 4k monitor is out, AMD supports it while Nvidia doesn't. AMD has been on the ball with 4k support, moreso than Nvidia. That's all I'm saying.

mkenyon

Banned
I agree, MST is a kludge that should be avoided.

Now that the single stream 4k monitor is out, AMD supports it while Nvidia doesn't. AMD has been on the ball with 4k support, moreso than Nvidia. That's all I'm saying.
As long as you use the (objectively better) displayport out. AMD's DVI MST support looked like this:

interleaving2.jpg

I think it's best to say that both suck(ed) at 4K support.

NoRéN

Damn. I'm trying to sale two Gigabyte Windforce 770s for $280 a piece and can't get a bite anywhere. Maybe I should try Amazon.

To be completely honest, i've seen 4gb 770s go for $275 max in the thread. Just something to think about.

You could always try craigslist.

Ashhong

Hey guys, gonna be putting my computer together today and it's been a while so can you confirm my checklist please.

1. Test out mobo and psu together to make sure everything spins
2. Install everything
3. Download drivers for motherboard and gpu ahead of time
4. Boot it up (do I need to worry about any settings in the bios for my ssd here?)
5. Install windows
6. Install mobo drivers
7. Overclock
8. Profit?

Also, I have like 2-3 year old arctic thermal paste. Should I use that or the paste that came with my 212 Evo?

-Deimos

Hey guys, gonna be putting my computer together today and it's been a while so can you confirm my checklist please.

2. Install everything
4. Boot it up (do I need to worry about any settings in the bios for my ssd here?)
5. Install windows
6. Install mobo drivers
7. Overclock
8. Profit?

Also, I have like 2-3 year old arctic thermal paste. Should I use that or the paste that came with my 212 Evo?

You forgot ????

mkenyon

Banned

2. Install everything
5. Install windows
6. Install mobo drivers
7. Overclock
8. Profit?

The stuff that came with the 212 Evo.

Your list is right on.

Gumbie

NoRéN;108667605 said:
To be completely honest, i've seen 4gb 770s go for $275 max in the thread. Just something to think about.

You could always try craigslist.

Hmm..were they reference models? I might need to drop the price

BKK

OP doesn't appear to address OS. Bear in mind that I haven't built a PC since the early 2000s, so am a bit out of date with this. This thread is also 130+ pages long, so apologies if this has been addressed within the thread. Anyway, I'm thinking of building a HTPC mainly for multimedia and emulation, would like to run Dolphin and PCSX2 on my 1080P TV at full speed, so may as well build a setup that can also play modern PC games too. Is it practical to play Dolphin and PCSX2 on Linux, and is it practical use Steam on a Linux OS via Wine? I realise there is a Linux version of Steam, but most games are Windows only.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd imagine Dolphin and PCSX2 would both run well on Linux. However, Steam/games are a pain through Wine.

You can get Win 8/7 keys for pretty cheap online, $20-40 easy.

BKK

OK, thanks guys, Windows it is then. So second question, which version of Windows, and which front end? I only wish to use it for multimedia and games, and with remote or joypad as control inputs, no KB/M or touch screen.

BKK

So what's the benefit of 8/8.1 over 7? Bear in mind this is just for a HTPC, I already have a Windows 7 desktop for work.

Kuro

Guys I have no idea what Im doing anymore. The heat sink is proving to be a big pain in the ass. For some reason one of the screws wont reach the far enough for me to screw it. It feels sturday but Im scared I might have messed up my CPU by applying so much pressure. PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!!!

Qd3tY2b.jpg

This is what Im talking about

That heatsink is ridiculous

kharma45

Hey fellow gaffers I'm looking into upgrading my PC starting with the case. The one I have no isn't that big and I'd like more room to work with. So far I'm considering these 2 and want some opinions on which would be best.

Antec Three Hundred Two
http://secure1.ncix.com/products/?mode=productreviewread&product_id=67326

Cooler Master HAF 912
http://secure1.ncix.com/products/?mode=productreviewread&product_id=55583

Neither. Take a look at the 200R http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC4558&vpn=CC-9011023-WW&manufacture=CORSAIR

Newegg has it for $5 more if you prefer to deal with them

So 8.1 is most future proofed for games? How about backwards compatibility?

It's more future proof in that it'll get DX11.2 and 7 will not. Even the version of 11.1 that 7 has isn't the full one that 8.1 has.

As for backwards compatibility there is the odd game that has issues. I had some with CoH for example but it's easy enough to fix in my experience.

Kevin

Woke up today to discover my computer no longer boots. Seems to hang at the boot screen for awhile before giving this error message:

image.jpg

I insert the Windows disc but it does not boot from it anymore nor do I see any options from booting from it. For the last two months my computer has periodically crashed upon boot once it reached the Windows desktop.

My question is, do you think my SSD hard drive died (drive I booted from) and how can I check? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: no idea why the image is flipped as it's not displayed like that on my screen.

Kuro

Woke up today to discover my computer no longer boots. Seems to hang at the boot screen for awhile before giving this error message:

image.jpg

I insert the Windows disc but it does not boot from it anymore nor do I see any options from booting from it. For the last two months my computer has periodically crashed upon boot once it reached the Windows desktop.

My question is, do you think my SSD hard drive died (drive I booted from) and how can I check? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: no idea why the image is flipped as it's not displayed like that on my screen.

SSD failures are kind of rare so I'd try doing some RAM swapping to see if that's the issue

BKK

It's more future proof in that it'll get DX11.2 and 7 will not. Even the version of 11.1 that 7 has isn't the full one that 8.1 has.

As for backwards compatibility there is the odd game that has issues. I had some with CoH for example but it's easy enough to fix in my experience.

Thanks, I can live with issues in a few games as long as they are fairly easily fixable (I'll be mainly playing very old or very new games anyway, so it shouldn't be a big issue).

So what software do people mainly use as a front end for their HTPCs?

Kevin

Thanks, I can live with issues in a few games as long as they are fairly easily fixable (I'll be mainly playing very old or very new games anyway, so it shouldn't be a big issue).

My SSD drive is like 4 years old. It also not appearing in the boot options under the SATA boot order screen. I'll have to play around with it I guess to find out for sure.

Kuro

Hey, what would you guys rate my rig? I've been slowly buying the parts for months trying to stay under $650 and getting good deals whenever possible:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($190.79 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $36.00)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $130.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $50.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $162.00)
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $50.00)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $618.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-18 14:15 EDT-0400)

Woah that Microcenter deal for the 4670k is great... I might jump on it.

BKK

My SSD drive is like 4 years old. It also not appearing in the boot options under the SATA boot order screen. I'll have to play around with it I guess to find out for sure.

I guess you quoted the wrong post, anyway, here's your picture the right way up;

mZdMvUK.jpg

Kuro

do you have any extra HDDs on hand to test? Really might be dead if its 4 years old.

XMBC wiith an addon that lets me go to Steam (Big Picture).

Your PSU should be enough, its not the best design as each 12v Rail has 20A, of which you have two. So hopefully each PCIE adaptor is connected to a separate rail.

To fix driver issues follow this:

Download Display Driver Uninstaller here and install it:
http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/display_driver_uninstaller_download,9.html

Click uninstall current and previous GPU drivers. That will clean up all AMD and nVidia files. Then on reboot it should detect and install the Windows drivers for the GPU. Once completed install the latest nVidia drivers.

I got the card working by booting into 640x480 res after smashing F8 before Windows logo.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Sky Chief

I just got my bonus and I am going to be making a new Gaming PC soon. I haven't had a gaming PC for years and remember how much fun I had building and playing my old PCs and really want to get back into it. Apologies if any of this doesn't make sense because I have not been paying much attention to the PC world in a while and would really appreciate some assistance getting back up to speed! :)

Your Current Specs: Decent laptop, have not had a gaming PC in about 8-10 years
Budget: ~$2000 for everything (including display), USA
Main Use: 5 Gaming, 4 Oculus Rift, 3 Unity Development, 2 Emulation, 1 Other Content Creation? (video editing, Photoshop)
Monitor Resolution: I will be buying a new monitor. I am not sure exactly what to get. I guess 27" 2560x1440. I think bigger and higher res will definitely be helpful for non-gaming uses.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want it to be able to handle the Oculus DK2 and CV1
Looking to reuse any parts?: No, I have a nice aluminum Lian Li case that is about 10 years old but want to go with something newer/quieter. I have some nice Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers that I wouldn't mind connecting.
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Soon
Will you be overclocking? Yes

I was looking at the "Enthusiast" build in the Google Doc. Will a 4770k and GTX 780 be able to handle pretty much anything at 1440p and 75+hz on the Oculus Rift DK2 and CV1?

How would the Enthusiast build handle a 2560x1440 monitor? Would most stuff run at 60+fps? I was thinking of getting a QNIX QX2710. Is this a good monitor? If you are over 60fps but below 120 is that still a good experience or is it better to just be locked at 60? If so, should I be looking at other displays?

I want to overclock but don't want anything too loud (of course overclocking and silence do not mix that well but I just want to keep things in check). I was always customizing my old PCs by adding better fans and sound dampening material and modifying the HD bays for isolation to reduce noise as much as possible but it seems like now there are quite a few cases and components specifically geared towards high performance with less noise. I am looking at the Fractal Design Define XL R2 and Nanoxia Deep Silence 1. Are these cases good? Anything else worth considering? Also considering one of the Corsair Hydro coolers, SeaSonic X-Series or Corsair AX PSUs to keep things cool and quiet too. Any GTX780s in particular that aren't too loud when OCed?

Regarding the GTX 780, it seems like this is a much better deal than the 780Ti as that is a lot more expensive and not that much faster. Would you agree? Does it make sense to wait for the 6GB version? When is that coming out? What exactly is the benefit of double the video RAM?

Do you guys agree that I should be looking at the Enthusiast build for my wants? Any help is appreciated.

Well, you can definitely get a Microcenter CPU/motherboard combo, so I'd recommend you do that so you can invest the savings in other parts of the system. AFAIK, you definitely want to get the 6GB models of whatever 780 (Ti) card, because VR requires a lot of power and memory.

Sky Chief

Well, you can definitely get a Microcenter CPU/motherboard combo, so I'd recommend you do that so you can invest the savings in other parts of the system. AFAIK, you definitely want to get the 6GB models of whatever 780 (Ti) card, because VR requires a lot of power and memory.

Wow, it looks like MicroCenter is selling the 4770k with the Asus Z87 Pro for $404 after $15 mail in rebate. That's almost $100 less than what I have seen in other places? Do these deals stay active long?

Wow, it looks like MicroCenter is selling the 4770k with the Asus Z87 Pro for $404 after $15 mail in rebate. That's almost $100 less than what I have seen in other places? Do these deals stay active long?

That's par for the course for Microcenter, don't even bother shopping around for CPU/Motherboards if you've got one nearby.

Of course, once you're there, you're going to want the rest of your system right away too... that's how they get you... that's how they got me >_>

If you're driving down to Microcenter, take out your phone and use Google Shopping to compare prices with e-tailers while you're in-store. Then, if the store prices are good you can pick the items in question up on the spot.

Ashhong

She lives! First try :) I am unhappy with how I applied the thermal paste though. I'll know by the temps if it's ok or not right?

Also I don't like how my modular had all 4 molex on one connector. I need that just to power my R4 case fan. Should I just plug it into the motherboard and use speed fan? Is that just as good?

Sky Chief

That's par for the course for Microcenter, don't even bother shopping around for CPU/Motherboards if you've got one nearby.

Of course, once you're there, you're going to want the rest of your system right away too... that's how they get you... that's how they got me >_>

If you're driving down to Microcenter, take out your phone and use Google Shopping to compare prices with e-tailers while you're in-store. Then, if the store prices are good you can pick the items in question up on the spot.

Haha, okay cool. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom