• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy Dog

Is there anywhere I can buy a cheapish Windows 8 product key? I've got an ISO from when I reformatted my laptop a few months ago and don't want to to shell out £100 for a retail copy.

I had to get a replacement large HD after my games storage drive nearly died over the weekend so I've also treated myself to another SSD after being spoiled by the one in my laptop. Thinking I'll bump up to Windows 8 on my gaming PC whilst I'm at it as I've also got a new GPU on the way so may as well do a completely fresh install of everything.

riflen

PC Gaf - I have a Palit GeForce 770 Jetstream 4 gig video card am considering adding a second in SLI. I'm looking for additional performance and a little bit of future proofing for a year or so.

Is it worth doing this or would I be better off simply replacing my 770 with a beefier card now or in the future?

EDIT: also, I am considering getting Oculus Dev Kit 2. Would my existing 770 be sufficient? The display appears to be equivalent to 1920x1080 so I assume it would be ok?

No-one can tell you if it's worth it to add another GPU. Performance will be great for supported titles (which is most), but you will need a PSU that can provide enough juice and a motherboard with at least 2x PCI-e 3.0 8x slots.

Recommended requirements for DK2 is a PC that can run the games you want to play at 1920x1080 and 75fps. A single 770 is likely sufficient. I would download some of the Rift demos and see what your performance is like. http://www.riftenabled.com

Edit: I forgot to mention that SLI adds 1 frame of latency and the Rift experience is latency sensitive. This probably isn't so bad if your frame time is low (high fps) and people say SLI doesn't ruin the experience with DK1, but that's anecdotal.

Download this. Reboot in to safe mode, and run it. Then restart, and try installing it again.

I had an issue where, whenever I'd try to update my Nvidia drivers, it'd just turn off my PC and reboot. Something to do with an error with the original driver installation, I think.

Thanks for help, in the end I managed it, I had to install the drivers in safe mode, and it worked, even though I still do not really understand, why would not work otherwise.

aka_bueno

Well PCgaf, I'm back in with PC. I sold my MacBook Pro and used that to fund this build I just pulled the trigger on. I thank you all for the help the past few days. I set a hard budget of $1000 (before tax) so I could still pocket some of the money I made from the sale to buy other non PC stuff I wanted ha.

Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ01b Mini-ITX
PSU: Silverstone SFX Modular 450w Gold Rated
CPU: Intel i5 4670k 3.4Ghz Quad
CPU Cooler: Corsair AIO h55 Liquid Cooler
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 760 GTX SC Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87N Mini ITX Wifi
Memory: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 Sport Super Low Profile 1x8GB (will add 2nd 8GB stick after)
Storage: Samsung EVO SSD 250GB (will add 2nd SSD after)

Sub Total was $1010

I saved bout $40 by buying the GPU used from Amazon. Everything else is new. I've never bought a used PC part though so I'm pretty nervous but hey, I felt it was worth the gamble and I can return if it something's wrong.

Also saved $75 by going with a single stick of 8GB RAM instead of 2 (I will add the 2nd stick to max out the mITX board with16GB RAM soon along with a 2nd SSD).

Anywho, doing both of the above let me bump up from a 660 GTX to a 760 GTX Super Clocked Edition and lower the price a tad to boot so I think I made the right call!

This is the Small-Form-Factor-Steam-Machine-Like PC I've been wanting to build for a while now so I'm pretty pumped.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Well PCgaf, I'm back in with PC. I sold my MacBook Pro and used that to fund this build I just pulled the trigger on. I thank you all for the help the past few days. I set a hard budget of $1000 (before tax) so I could still pocket some of the money I made from the sale to buy other non PC stuff I wanted ha.

Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ01b Mini-ITX
PSU: Silverstone SFX Modular 450w Gold Rated
CPU: Intel i5 4670k 3.4Ghz Quad
CPU Cooler: Corsair AIO h55 Liquid Cooler
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 760 GTX SC Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87N Mini ITX Wifi
Memory: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 Sport Super Low Profile 1x8GB (will add 2nd 8GB stick after)
Storage: Samsung EVO SSD 250GB (will add 2nd SSD after)

Sub Total was $1030

I saved bout $40 by buying the GPU used from Amazon. Everything else is new. I've never bought a used PC part though so I'm pretty nervous but hey, I felt it was worth the gamble and I can return if it something's wrong.

Also saved $75 by going with a single stick of 8GB RAM instead of 2 (I will add the 2nd stick to max out the mITX board with16GB RAM soon along with a 2nd SSD).

Anywho, doing both of the above let me bump up from a 660 GTX to a 760 GTX Super Clocked Edition and lower the price a tad to boot so I think I made the right call!

This is the Small-Form-Factor-Steam-Machine-Like PC I've been wanting to build for a while now so I'm pretty pumped.

Man, you guys building PCs right now are making me double think waiting. Trying really hard to hold out until June for the those refreshed haswells. =/

TheD

The Detective
I am extremely pissed at my stupid As(S)rock motherboard ATM.
Turns out that the idiots that programmed the UEFI firmware set it so that after each boot into windows it would reset what EFI executable it would load up on boot, overwriting what the user (the thing that should be obeyed at all times) set!
That means I can not dual boot without going into the settings every time I turn the system on, but I can not even do that due to the morons fucking up the latest firmware so that it will not respond to the key telling it to bring up the UEFI menu most of the time!

So now I have to try to find some workaround or spend hundreds of dollars I can not afford just to use a normal feature of modern PCs!

Vee_One

No-one can tell you if it's worth it to add another GPU. Performance will be great for supported titles (which is most), but you will need a PSU that can provide enough juice and a motherboard with at least 2x PCI-e 3.0 8x slots.

Recommended requirements for DK2 is a PC that can run the games you want to play at 1920x1080 and 75fps. A single 770 is likely sufficient. I would download some of the Rift demos and see what your performance is like. http://www.riftenabled.com

Edit: I forgot to mention that SLI adds 1 frame of latency and the Rift experience is latency sensitive. This probably isn't so bad if your frame time is low (high fps) and people say SLI doesn't ruin the experience with DK1, but that's anecdotal.

Thanks

duckroll

I'm finally building a new desktop since the piece of shit (E8400 w/ Radeon HD4850 loooooool) is showing early signs of terminal failure. I've tentatively put this together what I'm thinking of replacing it with:

CPU - i5-4670
MB - AsRock H81M-DGS
VGA - GTX 750 Ti 2GB
RAM - GSkill RipJawX 1600 8GB
SSD - Samsung EVO 840 120GB
HDD - WD Blue 1TB

Are there any obvious downsides to any of the selection? I'm not sure if the extra cost for the 4670k is worth it if I never plan on overclocking my CPU ever. Same with the motherboard - it's the cheapest of the range, and looking at the specs I don't see an obvious reason to spend more for features I wouldn't be using. This has the 6gb/s SATA3 slots I need, which was basically the only thing I was seriously looking at. Is there a better pick for a videocard at the 750Ti range for better performance? I'm not sure if I trust ATI stuff anymore. My Radeons have had a history of heat issues, and I keep hearing bad things about ATI drivers. Has anything changed on that front in recent years?

Thanks!

I'm finally building a new desktop since the piece of shit (E8400 w/ Radeon HD4850 loooooool) is showing early signs of terminal failure. I've tentatively put this together what I'm thinking of replacing it with:

CPU - i5-4670
MB - AsRock H81M-DGS
VGA - GTX 750 Ti 2GB
HDD - WD Blue 1TB

Are there any obvious downsides to any of the selection? I'm not sure if the extra cost for the 4670k is worth it if I never plan on overclocking my CPU ever. Same with the motherboard - it's the cheapest of the range, and looking at the specs I don't see an obvious reason to spend more for features I wouldn't be using. This has the 6gb/s SATA3 slots I need, which was basically the only thing I was seriously looking at. Is there a better pick for a videocard at the 750Ti range for better performance? I'm not sure if I trust ATI stuff anymore. My Radeons have had a history of heat issues, and I keep hearing bad things about ATI drivers. Has anything changed on that front in recent years?

Thanks!

There is no benefit for the K version if you are sure that you are never going to overclock it. That said, it gives quite a nice boost and is nowadays not difficult to do at all, so you might want to consider it.

Motherboard won't make a big difference, only thing is that if you do decide to overclock you'll need a different type.

ATI (Well, AMD now) is perfectly fine. Drivers have improved over the years and I haven't heard anything about a higher failure rate. The R7 265 might be interesting with that budget.

kiyomi

Is there a better pick for a videocard at the 750Ti range for better performance? I'm not sure if I trust ATI stuff anymore. My Radeons have had a history of heat issues, and I keep hearing bad things about ATI drivers. Has anything changed on that front in recent years?

Thanks!

R7 265 is in a very similar price bracket to the 750 Ti and outperforms it by ~10/15%. That would be my suggestion - if you can find one.

The R9 270 and R9 270X are also notable improvements, but will obviously cost a little more. It's really just a case of what you're willing to budget for, since there's almost always a better card for every extra $20-30 you spend.

If you really feel like you don't want to go for an AMD card, the 750 Ti will be fine - but you could also look at getting a GTX 660 second hand, if you're comfortable with owning a used GPU. Those should be selling in roughly the same price range you're looking at, and fall somewhere in between the 265 and the 270X in terms of performance.

And if you wanted to push the boat out even further, the 760 is an admirable performer for the money.

vareon

CPU - i5-4670
MB - AsRock H81M-DGS
VGA - GTX 750 Ti 2GB
HDD - WD Blue 1TB

Thanks!

Your build looks very similar to mine, except I have 4570 and no SSD. What surprised me is that I can emulate Xenoblade very fine, which is great since my Wii is dead.

duckroll

Doubt I'll be able to find a 660 secondhand locally, and it seems like more trouble than it's worth for. I don't really feel the need to jump up to a 760 or beyond either. I'm interested in a bit more feedback on the Nvidia vs AMD side though. I kinda like the fact (well in theory anyway) that the 750Ti doesn't need the extra power connector, and is a low energy card which has decent performance.

How much more significant is the performance of a R9 270 compared to a 750Ti? I'm probably not looking at the R9 270X since the prices here puts that closer or above the 760, which I think would be the better buy at that range anyway.

Your build looks very similar to mine, except I have 4570 and no SSD. What surprised me is that I can emulate Xenoblade very fine, which is great since my Wii is dead.

Nice. It should be easy to get wiimote support working on a PC right? I'm totally looking forward to being able to continue playing Wii games after retiring my Wii for good. Just like I did with the PS2 library. Lol.

Sky Chief

I just ordered all the components for my new PC. What have I done!

I'm so excited, basically went with the suggested Enthusiast build with quite a few of the recommended optional upgrades. Thanks to everyone who gave me input in the part selection process I will be sure to post pics when everything has been assembled.

What are some games I should use to show my new baby off?

kiyomi

How much more significant is the performance of a R9 270 compared to a 750Ti? I'm probably not looking at the R9 270X since the prices here puts that closer or above the 760, which I think would be the better buy at that range anyway.

~20% increase over the 750 Ti. But it'll also use more power (~30% more), so if that is a concern, maybe the 750 Ti would suit your needs.

Also, some of the 750 Tis are tiny. :lol

riflen

Money, I'm on a tight budget so I'm hoping for price drops on haswell, haswell-e will most likely be more expensive

Besides I already got the motherboard :p

I think you're a little mixed up here. There is a Haswell refresh (socket 1150) due in a few weeks. Read about preliminary details: http://techreport.com/news/26317/here-are-the-specs-and-prices-for-intel-haswell-refresh-cpus

The price of current Haswell CPUs will not drop much, if at all. Currently a 3570k can cost more than a 4670k.

Then there is Haswell-E (socket 2011), due probably in June/July which is a different beast altogether. 6/8 cores, 40 PCI-e lanes, DDR4 memory. The price for Haswell-E CPU/board/RAM will probably start at ~$900.

Burn iso to disc.
Power down.
Remove the old and install the new video card.
Connect the SSD to a Sata3 port.
Disconnect the HDD.
Install Windows. You might have to go into the bios and have disc as boot priority #1. Change to SSD #1 after Windows is installed.
Connect HDD. Load up Windows and quick format the HDD.

This is good advice, ESPECIALLY the take out the 2nd drive one before you load Win on the SSD. I accidentally left my old drive with my previous OS on there and loaded windows on my SSD which turned out to be a mistake because what ended up happening is the installer detected the small windows partition for system files from my old drive and did not create one on my SSD. Which as you can expect, lead me to a nonbootable SSD installed OS when I took the magnetic media drive out. So I had to take it out, then reload it on my SSD. The more you know!

Ah ok, thanks. I've just signed up and PM'd someone that's selling them for $10 as well. So fingers crossed.

Its a legit place to get the keys. I bought one with 100% success from a different very prominent seller. Im picking up office as well as soon as paypal clears. Good luck!

Storage: THIS is what I can't decide on, 250GB Samsung EVO or 1TB WD Blue?

Just to add 1 more: SSD, all the way. I semi-recently switched from a WD Green that failed to that same EVO and it changed everything. Best decision ever.

The space isn't that much of an issue, for me, as I have an external where I dump the heavy stuff off (music collection, videos, etc) and just cycle through having 5-6 Steam games installed. I usually hover around having 165gb free and that drive flies.

redlegs87

Ok so I will be ordering a EVGA GTX 760 this Friday and was wondering it says it needs 30 AMP on the 12v rail. My PSU has 45.5 amps on the 12v rail but only comes with one PCI-E power cable with a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin connector on a single power cable. Will that be fine to power it or would I need to use one of the adapters that comes with the card?

LilJoka

Ok so I will be ordering a EVGA GTX 760 this Friday and was wondering it says it needs 30 AMP on the 12v rail. My PSU has 45.5 amps on the 12v rail but only comes with one PCI-E power cable with a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin connector on a single power cable. Will that be fine to power it or would I need to use one of the adapters that comes with the card?

Youll need a Molex to PCIE adaptor. Should get one in the GPU box.

I'm so excited, basically went with the suggested Enthusiast build with quite a few of the recommended optional upgrades. Thanks to everyone who gave me input in the part selection process I will be sure to post pics when everything has been assembled.

Skyrim with these mods:
Static mesh improvement mod(SMIM)
2k Skyrim textures
choose an ENB you like that does not have Chromatic Aberration
Realistic lighting overhaul
Climates of tamriel
skyrim flora overhaul

Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, Tomb Raider and I think I am forgetting about a title are the titles I'd recommend. Skyrim with mods can work too.

kennah

You'll be fine
Youll need a Molex to PCIE adaptor. Should get one in the GPU box.
They won't be necessary.

Naked Kingpin

V5asCG8.jpg

Tasty GK110

iWDUg9j.jpg

Definite improvement

b940AXR.jpg

Not even Daphne wants that scrub cooler

1oYBA4I.jpg

Dat block

0a2cor3.jpg

Nice. Is there a performance difference bettween the acetal + nickel vs the nickel?

Wow mkenyon, that looks super sleek! Cuts the PCIe slot usage to 1 yeah?

Storage: THIS is what I can't decide on, 250GB Samsung EVO or 1TB WD Blue?

Get both, SSD for system and maybe steam and a few games with everything else pointing to the large magnetic drive. You will not regret it, the speed is amazing. I put an SSD in my i7 after I had a normal spinning drive and I can never go back!

Ashhong

Damn, I should have looked at what I needed beforehand. Spent an extra 40$ because I need a PCI express wireless card. Currently have 2 PCI cards and my new mobo only has 1.

On that note, anybody want to purchase a wireless n PCI adapter or a linksys ac usb network adapter?

mkenyon

Banned
Damn, I should have looked at what I needed beforehand. Spent an extra 40$ because I need a PCI express wireless card. Currently have 2 PCI cards and my new mobo only has 1.

On that note, anybody want to purchase a wireless n PCI adapter or a linksys ac usb network adapter?
Wireless? Heresy!

All about Powerline adapters when you aren't able to use a standard cable. Though really, you should use a standard cable. The best part about wired internet is that I don't have to go catch a small mammal and slit its throat over my Wireless Gods Altar once a month to ensure proper functioning.

Ashhong

Wireless? Heresy!

All about Powerline adapters when you aren't able to use a standard cable. Though really, you should use a standard cable. The best part about wired internet is that I don't have to go catch a small mammal and slit its throat over my Wireless Gods Altar once a month to ensure proper functioning.

Hmmmm forgot about that. Maybe that would be a better 40$ spent. Are any of those tplinks good? The wireless adapter I bought was a tplink. I think even 200mbps is enough...no way will I require higher speeds than that I think

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, they've worked well for me in the past. Since I bought a house though, I've just drilled holes and ran cables under the house and through walls instead.

Well, with Dragon Age announced for October 7th I guess that means this is when I build my new PC. My birthday is on October 9th so this would be a good present for myself. Hopefully all the Intel CPUs and all the Nvidia/AMD GPUs are out by then.

Ashhong

Alright a new issue, I am trying to run CS:GO from my non-windows HDD and it keeps crashing when I load the game. The last time it gave me a Windows low memory error. wtf??? Surely it cant be because I didn't install it on my Windows drive right? Steam gave me the option...

edit: huh, disabling Full Screen and putting it into a window fixes it. That's not normal...

mkenyon

Banned
Alright a new issue, I am trying to run CS:GO from my non-windows HDD and it keeps crashing when I load the game. The last time it gave me a Windows low memory error. wtf??? Surely it cant be because I didn't install it on my Windows drive right? Steam gave me the option...

edit: huh, disabling Full Screen and putting it into a window fixes it. That's not normal...
How much memory do you have? Right click 'Computer' and go to properties. Or however it works in that newfangled Win 8.

Zaph

I know it's difficult to speculate, but what are the chances of Nvidia coming out with a new powerhouse card soon-ish (before Q4)?

The rumour threads seem to be full of disappointment and I'm starting to think my dream of a single (dual GPU) card capable of pushing 1440p(soon 4k)@60/1080p@120 on high is foolish.

I just got my Easter bonus through, so I'm wondering if I'm better off just selling my Asus Impact ITX and getting a mATX with dual 780ti's?

mkenyon

Banned
Ram memory? I have 8gb. I had the memory monitor open at the same time though and it said like 2gb free :/
What version of Windows do you have installed? 32 bit or 64 bit?
I just got my Easter bonus through, so I'm wondering if I'm better off just selling my Asus Impact ITX and getting a mATX with dual 780ti's?
That seems to be your only option, and if you're trying to push 4K, ITX doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

295x2 seems to be the only single card option, and it's not a great one from what I'm seeing. It is at 1440p, but there's some definite wonkiness at 4K.

yatesl

Software issue, but any reason why my Outlook decides to try and destroy my CPU? I've searched for memory leaks online, but nothing major has come up. Doesn't happen straight away, but after a while it slows the system down to a halt.

The only plug ins I have running are Kaspersky anti-virus, iCloud, and Outlook Change Notifier (whatever that is). Stuff like AdobePDF and OneNote are disabled.

Zaph

That seems to be your only option, and if you're trying to push 4K, ITX doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

295x2 seems to be the only single card option, and it's not a great one from what I'm seeing. It is at 1440p, but there's some definite wonkiness at 4K.
Yeah, at the time of the ITX build, I didn't know I'd be getting a 4k monitor from work, thought I'd stick with 1440p for a long while. Hell, I didn't even think I'd also buy a 120hz monitor until I saw one in action and had to have it.

Considered the 295x2, but I don't really want to jump out of Nvidia's ecosystem and, tbh, the AMD dual GPU/SLI solution seems to be janky as fuck.

Ashhong

What version of Windows do you have installed? 32 bit or 64 bit?

Windows 8.1 N 64bit

It all started happening today. Ive been playing League fine the past few days and now this

I dont understand...I never got memory issues in Windows 7 64bit with 8gigs of ram, which is the reason why I went with only 8gb for this new build

Drake

What do you guys do with your old PC's? I was thinking about giving my current one to a buddy of mine, but he is moving away in July and I probably won't build a new PC before that. I may just give this one to my parents.

Ashhong

What do you guys do with your old PC's? I was thinking about giving my current one to a buddy of mine, but he is moving away in July and I probably won't build a new PC before that. I may just give this one to my parents.

Preferably sell. I have an old PC id like to get at least 200 out of. If I cant I will probably just give it to my parents though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom