• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennycash

Neo Member

IceIpor

I do. Are there any down sides or risks in buying one of those keys?

Get it from someone with a lot of positive feedback. Otherwise, Microsoft *might* revoke access if they find out, but I believe someone mentioned that Microsoft has stated that they have no reason to and I've yet to hear of any stories of anyone actually losing access for the past few years.

Honestly never noticed. Seems dumb to me to tax before the promo code but whatever. Great deal on the TPlink powerline. Saved me 10$ from Amazon
It's retailer lingo basically. Coupons and in the case of Newegg, promo codes, are used as payment toward the total, aka cash. Discounts on the other hand, reduce the price of said item, which also lowers your sales tax.

There are other paid software that plays blu-rays but basically ya unfortunately.
You could download makemkv to rip the Blu-ray Disc as an alternative.

PCs are awful to play Blu Ray films on from my experience. The best is still the PS3. You need licensed software to play Blu Rays, so your standard VLC/Media Player Classis or even XBMC wont play them natively.

Thanks for the responses! PS3 is in the front room, was hoping for a free alternative to watch in the office while doing work stuff. I run 5760x1080 so I have the screen space lol.

MediaLink just stinks so much. The upgrade path is annoying as hell and they give you only one chance to download the software. My download got corrupted so even though I have a key I'm a bit SOL. Ugh.

Just sell a codec on steam, someone.

IMACOMPUTA

I'd be surprised if they bundled a $60 game with a $150 card.

You don't buy an SSD purely for boot performance, the ENTIRE SYSTEM runs faster. Apps open instantly, Windows is extremely responsive, everything loads much faster. And if you enjoy *shudder* loading times, get a storage HDD and install games there. If you enjoy performance, ignoring an SSD is probably one of the worst things you can do.

It's bundled with a $169.99 card.

This is what i went with : Gigabyte 660

xBladeM6x

Is CyberLink my only option for Blu-Ray movie playing? I'm trying to find a way to play BD movies and I feel like I have to be missing something. What do you use to play Blu-Rays??

You could just download the software with it being completely in tact from certain websites. I know it works with them, of course not from experience.

You could just download the software with it being completely in tact from certain websites. I know it works with them, of course not from experience.

Yeeeeeaaaaaah... and while I do own a key, my personal income relies on people paying for software so I just can't visit such places. I knew the policy when I bought the software originally, so shame on me for getting burned by it I guess.

kiyomi

My Define Mini arrived today! o/

I have the case and RAM so far. Gonna pick everything else up once Z97 hits so I can maximize DOA return time etc. So excited!

LilJoka

Yeeeeeaaaaaah... and while I do own a key, my personal income relies on people paying for software so I just can't visit such places. I knew the policy when I bought the software originally, so shame on me for getting burned by it I guess.

But you have a key that you paid for... You aint going to give the company any more money by ringing customer support lol.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
  • CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $229.98
  • CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $29.98
  • Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H 1.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 $90.16
  • Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $68.99
  • Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $56.98
  • Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE $239.99
  • Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower $39.99
  • Power Supply EVGA 500W ATX12V / EPS12V $34.99
  • Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

huge question? on the Video card instead of GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE can i put a GeForce GTX 770 4GB WINDFORCE. Can the motherboard or cpu run with this card?

i might order all this, this coming Friday :)
Edit: Ohh and one more thing can i order all this in one single shot or i have to go to each website and order it :/ sorry new on this stuff.

Voho

I posted in the last thread a while back, but I've still yet to purchase the GPU update I had planned on purchasing. Some things have changed, so I'll just start over from the beginning instead of linking the post.

Before I start, I'm going to be blunt. I'm a software guy, not a hardware one. I'm very clumsy and inexperienced with managing computer hardware, and thus I've never overclocked, installed parts, or anything of the sort in my life. With the cost of this equipment, I'm not taking any chances, so if what I need to do is more complicated than plugging something in, assume I'm clueless haha.

I bought this custom rig pre-built from ibuypower.com, and have had a very pleasant experience with it over the past few years.

My current rig is as follows:

CPU: i5 2500K 3.30 GHz
GPU: GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 8GB (4x2) with another 8 (4x2) waiting on being installed
PSU: 850 Watts
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case
MOTHERBOARD: Here

Note: I use a 1080p monitor as my main screen, with a smaller 720p screen as a secondary monitor. The 720p monitor also acts as my gaming console screen using an HDMI switch, so it isn't constantly applicable to my setup.

I have 3 main questions to ask. Sorry for this wall of text, but I need answers, and I'll try to organize this the best I can.

[Question 1]
I'm looking to upgrade to a GTX 760 GPU. I asked about this in my previous posts and was told that my rig could handle it, but that I'd be better off overclocking my CPU in order to get the most out of it. I have zero confidence in my ability to do so, and would like to know if the CPU would be bottle-necking my GPU or if it's just an extra power bonus I'd be leaving on the table. I still haven't received a clear answer in this regard.

[Question 2]
My next question is probably easier to answer. Searching through my options, the prospect of buying a pre-overclocked GPU intrigued me. Especially only being 10 dollars extra compared to the standard clock variants. The card in question is here:

Overclocked GTX 760

It seems to have an enhanced cooler built in, so would I have to get an extra cooler for my case or would the cooling mounted on the card be sufficient? Buying an extra cooling device and installing it is another reason I'm not inclined to overclock my CPU for the time being, so if that's a problem, I may just be better off getting a standard one for the time being.

[Question 3]
My final question is more of a long term initiative at the moment, as the funds just don't exist for it right now. In the case of my CPU, I've noticed it's been getting very close to 100% usage when playing games such as Battlefield 4. I'm not sure if that will change despite getting a better GPU, and if I'm going to have to overclock my CPU or anything, I might as well go all the way and upgrade my CPU as well.

The question is, though, what CPU should I look into getting? I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I'd also like something that'd play nice with my new GPU as well as any further upgrades in the immediate future. Working a good deal into this software generation would also be a big plus. I have no idea what I'm looking for in terms of model, so any help in that regard would be most appreciated.

Closing (because this totally requires a heading)
And that's it. Whew. Sorry for going on a writing binge here, but I've been putting these upgrades off for far too long. I just got a good amount of money to invest in this, and I'd like to be able to do something with it :3

Thanks again,
-V

comu

Neo Member
Hey guys

I just discovered that Windows 8.1 (and probably 8 too), has been defragmenting my Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD (with OS installed) behind my back!!

Should I stop the weekly schedule?

Cheers

Water

Video card instead of GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE can i put a GeForce GTX 770 4GB WINDFORCE. Can the motherboard or cpu run with this card?
Sure. Don't pay a lot for a 4GB model though. As soon as the price gets substantially higher than the normal 770's, it becomes bad value and you should either stick to the normal 770 or go straight to a 780 3GB.

knitoe

Hey guys

I just discovered that Windows 8.1 (and probably 8 too), has been defragmenting my Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD (with OS installed) behind my back!!

Should I stop the weekly schedule?

Cheers
No. It's optimizing, like running trim. Not defragging on SSD.

OFFIS

[Question 1]
I'm looking to upgrade to a GTX 760 GPU. I asked about this in my previous posts and was told that my rig could handle it, but that I'd be better off overclocking my CPU in order to get the most out of it. I have zero confidence in my ability to do so, and would like to know if the CPU would be bottle-necking my GPU or if it's just an extra power bonus I'd be leaving on the table. I still haven't received a clear answer in this regard.

[Question 2]
My next question is probably easier to answer. Searching through my options, the prospect of buying a pre-overclocked GPU intrigued me. Especially only being 10 dollars extra compared to the standard clock variants. The card in question is here:

Overclocked GTX 760

It seems to have an enhanced cooler built in, so would I have to get an extra cooler for my case or would the cooling mounted on the card be sufficient? Buying an extra cooling device and installing it is another reason I'm not inclined to overclock my CPU for the time being, so if that's a problem, I may just be better off getting a standard one for the time being.

[Question 3]
My final question is more of a long term initiative at the moment, as the funds just don't exist for it right now. In the case of my CPU, I've noticed it's been getting very close to 100% usage when playing games such as Battlefield 4. I'm not sure if that will change despite getting a better GPU, and if I'm going to have to overclock my CPU or anything, I might as well go all the way and upgrade my CPU as well.

1. Yeah get a 760 and overclock your cpu for even more fps boost. Overclocking is easy, go to bios and set voltage and multiplier, save and exit and test that its stable and if not do it again with tiny bit more voltage or one multiplier less. What cooler you have? Stock Intel cooler is a no go, get a 212 evo or similar.

2. Get one with a good cooler, 760 will boost(overclock) itself if it runs cool enough. (windforce 3x, acx, directcu2, twinfrzr etc)

3. Your 2500k is fine for couple of years atleast, save the money for later now you would get minimal boost with 300$€.

Ashhong

• CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $229.98
  • CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $29.98
  • Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H 1.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 $90.16
  • Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $68.99
  • Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $56.98
  • Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE $239.99
  • Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower $39.99
  • Power Supply EVGA 500W ATX12V / EPS12V $34.99
  • Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

huge question? on the Video card instead of GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE can i put a GeForce GTX 770 4GB WINDFORCE. Can the motherboard or cpu run with this card?

i might order all this, this coming Friday :)
Edit: Ohh and one more thing can i order all this in one single shot or i have to go to each website and order it :/ sorry new on this stuff.

That's up to you. If you are happy with the prices of each part at one website you can order it all at once. If you find better deals at other sites then you can order it there.

I'm going to be like everybody else and recommend an SSD and Windows 8.1 from Softwareswap reddit (unless you already have that).

knitoe

I thought people with SSD's are supposed to turn defrag off. Doesn't windows do trim stuff in the background?
Unlike previous Windows, Windows 8 puts it together under the program Defragment and Optimize Drives. It does not defrag a SSD, but only optimize. So, you want to leave it on.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Sure. Don't pay a lot for a 4GB model though. As soon as the price gets substantially higher than the normal 770's, it becomes bad value and you should either stick to the normal 770 or go straight to a 780 3GB.

yeah, i think i might get the 770 this one will do right? Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE price is 329.99

That's up to you. If you are happy with the prices of each part at one website you can order it all at once. If you find better deals at other sites then you can order it there.

I'm going to be like everybody else and recommend an SSD and Windows 8.1 from Softwareswap reddit (unless you already have that).

i don't mind about getting it all at once :) with that price or a little bit more.

Edit: got the SSD stuff now, never mind on that part :)

Voho

1. Yeah get a 760 and overclock your cpu for even more fps boost. Overclocking is easy, go to bios and set voltage and multiplier, save and exit and test that its stable and if not do it again with tiny bit more voltage or one multiplier less. What cooler you have? Stock Intel cooler is a no go, get a 212 evo or similar.

2. Get one with a good cooler, 760 will boost(overclock) itself if it runs cool enough. (windforce 3x, acx, directcu2, twinfrzr etc)

3. Your 2500k is fine for couple of years atleast, save the money for later now you would get minimal boost with 300$€.

Will a 212 evo fit in my case? Also, I'm assuming you mean this?

Quick question about cases: Why are so many pc cases really large? I was looking at the R4 case, and it has 8 3.5" bays, 2 5.25" bays and more space for SSD's. Do people actually use all of that space?

What does one lose by going with a mini-itx case like the BitFenix Prodigy?

Quick question about cases: Why are so many pc cases really large? I was looking at the R4 case, and it has 8 3.5" bays, 2 5.25" bays and more space for SSD's. Do people actually use all of that space?

What does one lose by going with a mini-itx case like the BitFenix Prodigy?
Room for certain coolers, the ability to use certain fan sizes, room for easy cable management, and there are possible component size limits. It all depends on which m-ITX case you pick.

Room for certain coolers, the ability to use certain fan sizes, room for easy cable management, and there are possible component size limits. It all depends on which m-ITX case you pick.

Makes sense. I don't need a super small case, I just wondering.

What is everyone's opinion on the corsair line of cases? Is the 300R worth $20 more? The plastic cages on the 200R make me worry about noise...

Rufus

Few people use that space.
I think for consumer stuff it's always been a bit of a side effect of just having that space available due to the size of other components. Might as well extend the drive bays all the way.

You lose easy accessibility of your components, but unless you dig around regularly you won't care. As well as expansion slots on your mobo for functions it doesn't include, or doesn't do well enough. Also rarely taken advantage of.
Some argue they inscrease heat, others argue the fans actually work better since they won't have to move as much air as far. Either way, you'll be fine unless you live in a sub-tropical environment.

OFFIS

Will a 212 evo fit in my case? Also, I'm assuming you mean this?

Yes that one, it fits.
J7sV7.jpg

apresmode

Neo Member
I'm trying to decide whether I should stick with Windows 7 or go to 8.1 for the gaming / HTPC that I'm currently building. Any opinions from people who have used both?

Ashhong

Wifi we don't recommend for gaming because almost all PCI and USB solutions are not very good. Look at power line. For bluetooth buy a USB adapter.

You know, the only issue with net has been with my new power line, and not my trusty PCI wifi card. I never had disconnects or anything with that but I've had a couple random ones with my tp-link powerline. Hope it's not a reoccurring thing

I'm trying to decide whether I should stick with Windows 7 or go to 8.1 for the gaming / HTPC that I'm currently building. Any opinions from people who have used both?

I hated Windows 8 when it first came out and went back to Windows 7.

With my new gaming/productivity build I went with Windows 8.1 with ClassicShell (free open source). It is everything Windows 7 is on the surface with all of the Windows 8/8.1 under the hood improvements.

Can't recomend 7 over 8 or 8.1 enough. It also says something that both Mkenyon and Hazaro are both still rocking 7.

kennah

Post it!!! I'd love to see it
Was asked to post about my computer in another thread, so figured I'd post it here too :p (love showing off)
http://www.craftograph.com/compactsplash/ is the case. Mine is one of two that exist in blue and one of only 20 made by the original manufacturer.
IMG_4272.jpg

So Pretty

IMG_9857.jpg

Next to a Mac Pro

IMG_9869.JPG

How I have it set up. Will have Premiere, Photoshop and Encore each on their own screen at times.

IMG_9886.jpg

IMG_9858.JPG

Specs.

Love it so much. I'm a couple parts away from the full water-cool loop, everything is air cooled for now.

mkenyon

Banned
Just scored a helluva local deal.

7agMOU7.jpg

Only cost me a firearm I haven't used in 2+ years!

I posted in the last thread a while back, but I've still yet to purchase the GPU update I had planned on purchasing. Some things have changed, so I'll just start over from the beginning instead of linking the post.

Before I start, I'm going to be blunt. I'm a software guy, not a hardware one. I'm very clumsy and inexperienced with managing computer hardware, and thus I've never overclocked, installed parts, or anything of the sort in my life. With the cost of this equipment, I'm not taking any chances, so if what I need to do is more complicated than plugging something in, assume I'm clueless haha.

I bought this custom rig pre-built from ibuypower.com, and have had a very pleasant experience with it over the past few years.

My current rig is as follows:

CPU: i5 2500K 3.30 GHz
GPU: GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 8GB (4x2) with another 8 (4x2) waiting on being installed
PSU: 850 Watts
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case
MOTHERBOARD: Here

Note: I use a 1080p monitor as my main screen, with a smaller 720p screen as a secondary monitor. The 720p monitor also acts as my gaming console screen using an HDMI switch, so it isn't constantly applicable to my setup.

I have 3 main questions to ask. Sorry for this wall of text, but I need answers, and I'll try to organize this the best I can.

[Question 1]

[Question 2]

Overclocked GTX 760

[Question 3]

The question is, though, what CPU should I look into getting? I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I'd also like something that'd play nice with my new GPU as well as any further upgrades in the immediate future. Working a good deal into this software generation would also be a big plus. I have no idea what I'm looking for in terms of model, so any help in that regard would be most appreciated.

Closing (because this totally requires a heading)
And that's it. Whew. Sorry for going on a writing binge here, but I've been putting these upgrades off for far too long. I just got a good amount of money to invest in this, and I'd like to be able to do something with it :3

Thanks again,
-V
The answers to some of your questions are impossible to be totally clear on, because there aren't really clear answers.

1) Overclocking your processor to have it 100% stable should only take about 30 mins of your active time and maybe 24 hours of passive time. It is literally as simple as increasing the multiplier, the vcore, and maybe a random setting or two. After that, it is just stress testing for stability which can go on even while you are sleeping. It is really really easy to get 2500Ks up to at least 4.5 GHz.

It will give you improved performance in all multiplayer games, all UE3 games, all Blizzard games, all Source games, and a host of others.

That bring said, you will have increased performance from a 760, but it is definitely an incremental one. The chugs, stutters, and odd pauses will remain, but your average frame rate will go up.

Your processor doesn't really bottleneck video cards. It is more accurate to say that some engines are really processor dependent and require a high frequency to achieve a consistent framerate. A 4.5 GHz 2500K will perform better than a 4.0 GHz 4670K.

2) Overclocking graphics cards is even easier, as you use the same general principle above, but use a GUI with sliders in your OS to do it.

But yeah, paying for a card that has high clocks out of the box is a good way to go as long as you aren't paying too much. This is why I push the Gigabyte GHz edition 780 pretty hard.

3) BF is very well coded to use up what resources are available. Over clocking should give you a nearly 1:1 increase in performance. Over clock 15%, get a 15% performance boost.

In terms of what is out there on the Horizon, it depends on your budget. Haswell-E is a few months from release, but the most basic proc/motherboard/RAM combo will be $800+

Broadwell should be out later this year, but it doesn't look too exciting.

tl;dr

Read the thread title. :p

Ashhong

Fuuuuuuuck someone help!

I just installed intel rapid storage drivers according to the ssd tweak link in the op

Now my windows won't load! I get stuck at the windows flag and sometimes it says overclock failed. I changed it back to default but still the flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom