• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be building a new computer soon, but I want to start with getting a SSD and trying it on my current machine just to see the difference.

Are all SSDs created pretty equal at this point? Just nab whatever looks good at a decent price?

Newegg has 120 gig ones for $75, is that alright? Are there regular sales that I should wait for, or better prices elsewhere?

Or actually...what about this guy?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm going to be building a new computer soon, but I want to start with getting a SSD and trying it on my current machine just to see the difference.

Are all SSDs created pretty equal at this point? Just nab whatever looks good at a decent price?

Newegg has 120 gig ones for $75, is that alright? Are there regular sales that I should wait for, or better prices elsewhere?

Or actually...what about this guy?

General consensus is that these are the best consumer SSDs currently on the market:

Crucial M550
Crucial M500
Samsung 840 EVO
Samsung 840 Pro

I've personally got a Crucial M500 480GB in my laptop and a Transcend SSD340 64GB in my desktop.

yatesl

Where does GAF stand on PSU facing up or down? Currently my PC is on the floor, and I have a dog in the house. I cleaned my PC about a week ago (after a few months), and had this on the dust filter on top of my PSU:

TZHJ4vE.jpg

I've been thinking, and maybe I should turn my PSU upside down, to pull air from the case. I don't know how that'd affect the cooling for my GPU, though - and if it's even needed, with the dust filter.

This will double as my work station (web dev, image editing, etc) so I figure the more RAM the better.

Will these GPUs be better than the GT640?

Asus GTX 760
EVGA GTX660 SC-2 2GB DDR5 192BIT

Gotcha. Just to be completely fair, I'm not one of the guru's here. Almost everything I say here is parrotted from something Haz, Mkenyon, or Kennah have said.

That said, a lot of people here seem happy with their 750 ti and 760s and Nvidia is now bundling Watch_Dogs with their GPUs so that could be viewed as a discount on the card if you were going to purchase the game for full price anyway.

Thanks for that.

Where does GAF stand on PSU facing up or down? Currently my PC is on the floor, and I have a dog in the house. I cleaned my PC about a week ago (after a few months), and had this on the dust filter on top of my PSU:

I've been thinking, and maybe I should turn my PSU upside down, to pull air from the case. I don't know how that'd affect the cooling for my GPU, though - and if it's even needed, with the dust filter.

Leave your psu oriented so that it pulls cool air from below the case. Open up and clean your pc once a month. Clean your house more often than that.

There's no reaon your filters should be that filthy. My pc is on the floor in the living room and my dog sheds like crazy.

Lexxism

Hah! As expected they will bundle it on GTX. Good thing I hold off buying one. Hopefully there will be any cheap gpu in the next few months.

Based on the thread recommendation, last night I upgraded to a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD.

Mother of God.

I... it's so... I... I don't know how... it's just amazing. It literally amazes me. I had always heard that it was THE upgrade to do at the moment, but I didn't realize the truth of those words.

Thank you to everyone for recommending this. It's a New World.

I once bought a 300MB hard drive for $300 like 20 years ago. And now, for a little more I got a terabyte of solid state storage on something the size of an iphone. F'ing amazing, man. Science and stuff.

Based on the thread recommendation, last night I upgraded to a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD.

Mother of God.

I... it's so... I... I don't know how... it's just amazing. It literally amazes me. I had always heard that it was THE upgrade to do at the moment, but I didn't realize the truth of those words.

Thank you to everyone for recommending this. It's a New World.

I once bought a 300MB hard drive for $300 like 20 years ago. And now, for a little more I got a terabyte of solid state storage on something the size of an iphone. F'ing amazing, man. Science and stuff.

Another brother has joined, Welcome.

Honestly every time someone shelves the idea of getting a SSD for their rig i die a little inside (especially if the rig is near or over a 900- $1000 :( )

Another brother has joined, Welcome.

Honestly every time someone shelves the idea of getting a SSD for their rig i die a little inside (especially if the rig is near or over a 900- $1000 :( )

Its just hard to justify going full-on SSD. The 1TB cards are too expensive for me, hopefully in 1-2 years it will be affordable.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
My wife and I play Guild Wars 2 together. We're looking at getting new vid cards for our desktops to achieve a solid 60fps consistently and have a better than average looking Guild Wars 2. Which cards do you guys recommend? Keep in mind, I don't want to spend over $150 on a card.

I've been eying this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007A44T42/?tag=neogaf0e-20 AMD Radeon HD 7770.

I currently have an AMD Radeon HD 5770. My wife's card is an internal one on the mother board, Radeon 8550 series (these are these new OEM cards they're putting out now on new desktops, I know they're terrible).

Then there's this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z3T5JC/?tag=neogaf0e-20 AMD Radeon HD 7750, it's only $100.

Thanks ahead of time!

Its just hard to justify going full-on SSD. The 1TB cards are too expensive for me, hopefully in 1-2 years it will be affordable.

I'm in agreement there. I have a separate HDD for large storage and then two smaller SSDs for my OS and a few commonly used programs (Office, some games, Photoshop, etc).

Got my stuff today! Hope everything works out!

Breathe deep, go slow, and always make sure the power cord is unplugged.

I'm in agreement there. I have a separate HDD for large storage and then two smaller SSDs for my OS and a few commonly used programs (Office, some games, Photoshop, etc).

Yeah I splurged on the 1TB SSD even though I have an additional 1.5TB HDD. The 250GB and even the 500GB SSDs are getting to be priced quite reasonably.

Had I really known the performance difference, I would have been willing to pay more earlier for it.

mkenyon

Banned
My wife and I play Guild Wars 2 together. We're looking at getting new vid cards for our desktops to achieve a solid 60fps consistently and have a better than average looking Guild Wars 2. Which cards do you guys recommend? Keep in mind, I don't want to spend over $150 on a card.

I've been eying this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007A44T42/?tag=neogaf0e-20 AMD Radeon HD 7770.

I currently have an AMD Radeon HD 5770. My wife's card is an internal one on the mother board, Radeon 8550 series (these are these new OEM cards they're putting out now on new desktops, I know they're terrible).

Then there's this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z3T5JC/?tag=neogaf0e-20 AMD Radeon HD 7750, it's only $100.

Thanks ahead of time!
Guild Wars 2 is very much dependent upon a fast (overclocked) processor for consistent performance.

I'd look at the 750 Ti and 270x though.

I didn't mean full on though since the price issue in that case is understandable, i meant its ignored completely when it shouldn't tbh.

Plus you can do the hybrid approach with a small SSD and large HDD and still get the desired effect.

There are a few posters in here would go as far as just having a SSD in a rig though.

Why couldn't this just be one month earlier? FML.

I know that feel since I ordered one this weekend and just got it in the mail today. xD

Anyway, anyone on GAF have any experience with this SSD? Thinking about finally jumping on the SSD train.

SanDisk Ultra Plus 7mm SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" 256GB Solid State Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...dstate/240gbto400gb/sdssdhp-256g-g25bulk.html

It's the best train to jump on. Do you want your pc to boot in 30 seconds or 5 seconds? Built my first pc a couple weeks ago, and the ssd is easily the most impressive part to me so far. I even went and replaced the hard drive in my laptop with an ssd.

I don't think you can go wrong with any ssd. Best bang for your buck from what I've seen would be Crucial M550 or Samsung 840 EVO.

A GTX 750ti would be in your budget, offers a good price/performance ratio and doesn't need a lot of power, Would be the best for you

Better don't. I never tried it, but I think this would kind of steal air which the GPU needs, and pumps in HOT air from inside the case into the PSU instead of cool air from the outside.

660ti and 760, but no 750ti? And I was about to buy one for a new potential rig..

To be honest, I'm not going for one either. I don't see myself spending 100 bucks for something which "only" offers me to boot in 10 secs, instead of 1 min.
I turn on my computer when I get home (or stand up at weekends) and it just runs till I go to bed, so not worth it for the OS.
And for games.. meh. A friend of mine has one, played diff. games on his rig, and it kinda annoyed me that I couldn't read the tips shown the loading screens, as it was done loading so fast haha

Water

To be honest, I'm not going for one either. I don't see myself spending 100 bucks for something which "only" offers me to boot in 10 secs, instead of 1 min.
I turn on my computer when I get home (or stand up at weekends) and it just runs till I go to bed, so not worth it for the OS.
And for games.. meh. A friend of mine has one, played diff. games on his rig, and it kinda annoyed me that I couldn't read the tips shown the loading screens, as it was done loading so fast haha
I don't care about boot times either, and only boot once in two weeks or so. Still, I'm never using a computer without SSD again after I upgrade my ancient desktop (my work laptops have been 100% SSD for the last three years). It's so much more responsive in everything. System never stops to wait for HDD to spin up, load dialogs come up instantly, my work stuff gets done faster, etc.

Why couldn't this just be one month earlier? FML.

It's the best train to jump on. Do you want your pc to boot in 30 seconds or 5 seconds? Built my first pc a couple weeks ago, and the ssd is easily the most impressive part to me so far. I even went and replaced the hard drive in my laptop with an ssd.

I don't think you can go wrong with any ssd. Best bang for your buck from what I've seen would be Crucial M550 or Samsung 840 EVO.

Oh no doubt. I'm upgrading an older workstation with dual xeon cpus I got for free from my work and will be doing more than just gaming on it, so I figured it'd be a good time to perhaps get on that speedy train.

The next couple ones I've seen that were similar to the SanDisk 256GB I posted (£96), I've also seen a Crucial M500 240GB for £92 and the Samsung EVO 840 250GB for £120. Any particular reason why I should choose those over the SanDisk?

Oh no doubt. I'm upgrading an older workstation with dual xeon cpus I got for free from my work and will be doing more than just gaming on it, so I figured it'd be a good time to perhaps get on that speedy train.

The next couple ones I've seen that were similar to the SanDisk 256GB I posted (£96), I've also seen a Crucial M500 240GB for £92 and the Samsung EVO 840 250GB for £120. Any particular reason why I should choose those over the SanDisk?

I know Crucial M500 or M550 have power-loss protection, a nice feature to have if you're worried about a sudden power outage which could wreck an ssd. The Samsung 840 EVO is very popular, but it also seems to be one of the more reliable choices and seems to be near the top in many performance tests.

Like I say though, you can't go wrong.

Stubo

Crucial M500 240gb £78.99 (Ebuyer) / Amazon

Samsung 840 EVO 250gb £102.22 (Amazon)

Choose one making you better feeling!

I know Crucial M500 or M550 have power-loss protection, a nice feature to have if you're worried about a sudden power outage which could wreck an ssd. The Samsung 840 EVO is very popular, but it also seems to be one of the more reliable choices and seems to be near the top in many performance tests.

Like I say though, you can't go wrong.

Danke y'all! Time to grab that Crucial then. :D

660ti and 760, but no 750ti? And I was about to buy one for a new potential rig..
I'd be surprised if they bundled a $60 game with a $150 card.
You don't buy an SSD purely for boot performance, the ENTIRE SYSTEM runs faster. Apps open instantly, Windows is extremely responsive, everything loads much faster. And if you enjoy *shudder* loading times, get a storage HDD and install games there. If you enjoy performance, ignoring an SSD is probably one of the worst things you can do.

TheCloser

Banned
Got my stuff today! Hope everything works out!

Return your Bitfenix prodigy case right now. Its a piece of garbage. I bought mine and it was the green windowed one. The airflow is so bad and its just flimsy. Its a giant pain in the ass to install everything. Get a corsair obsidian 250D if its a mini itx build.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Hey guys,

OC question here. I've followed a guide in the OP since I have a Gigabyte Z87N motherboard. In the guide, it says that if I leave the c3 states on, the vcore will drop when the processor idles. However, I've left all of c-states on and I can't get the vcore to drop no matter what unless I put it on Auto. I've heard that putting it on auto is bad because it supplies more voltage than necessary, but at least the vcore will drop when idling. What should I do?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
A GTX 750ti would be in your budget, offers a good price/performance ratio and doesn't need a lot of power, Would be the best for you

I checked out the 750ti on amazon.com, $149, will have to discuss that with my wife. We'd would need to get two cards, I so that's gonna be over three hundred on cards, versus getting the 7770 or the 7750.

When you guys say Guild Wars 2 requires an overclocked card, what do you mean by that?

Thanks for the advice!

mkenyon

Banned
Return your Bitfenix prodigy case right now. Its a piece of garbage. I bought mine and it was the green windowed one. The airflow is so bad and its just flimsy.

fightin-words.png

Have bought a total of 6 I've used personally as well as for office workstations. 3 for friends' builds. They're amazing for the price.

TheCloser

Banned
fightin-words.png

Have bought a total of 6 I've used personally as well as for office workstations. 3 for friends' builds. They're amazing for the price.

Nope.gif. If you have no gpu in the case, then its fine otherwise its a piece of garbage. I'm trying to get rid of mine right now. I had to buy another case.

katoomba

Neo Member
I am upgrading my 2009 computer build. My plan was to just upgrade the motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler, ram, and gpu. However, I am concerned my old psu might not be able to handle the current requirements of the newer graphics cards. I have the Antec Signature SG-850 power supply linked below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371018

It has a quadruple +12V rail design with the maximum current ranging from 22-25A. The max load across the four rails is 65A. Will this be able to handle say a GTX 760 which requires a minimum of 30A on the +12V rail? I am having my doubts.

appaws

Banned

I would say that the R7 265 offers better performance in the same price range. The 750ti is only better if you don't have a 6-pin available and you get one of the ones that takes all the needed power over pci-e.

Better performance, same price and you get 2 free games. No contest here. That would be 4 free games for you, TTU. That will help convince the wife!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127790

mkenyon

Banned
I checked out the 750ti on amazon.com, $149, will have to discuss that with my wife. We'd would need to get two cards, I so that's gonna be over three hundred on cards, versus getting the 7770 or the 7750.

When you guys say Guild Wars 2 requires an overclocked card, what do you mean by that?

Thanks for the advice!
Not an overclocked card, but overclocked CPU. Guild Wars 2 (and every MMO/multiplayer game) is heavily CPU dependent in terms of high clock speed and instructions per clock. A better video card will certainly improve your overall performance, but the only way you are going to get that game to run at 60+ FPS consistently is with an i5/i7 at 4.2 GHz+
Hey guys,

OC question here. I've followed a guide in the OP since I have a Gigabyte Z87N motherboard. In the guide, it says that if I leave the c3 states on, the vcore will drop when the processor idles. However, I've left all of c-states on and I can't get the vcore to drop no matter what unless I put it on Auto. I've heard that putting it on auto is bad because it supplies more voltage than necessary, but at least the vcore will drop when idling. What should I do?
TMK, the Z87N cannot go above a 42 multiplier, correct? At that frequency, auto should be fine.
Nope.gif. If you have no gpu in the case, then its fine otherwise its a piece of garbage. I'm trying to get rid of mine right now. I had to buy another case.
You're objectively wrong, at least when it comes to comparing it to similar priced stuff.

Ran a 7970, 670, and a friend even built a fully WC'd one:

900x900px-LL-24234145_ProdigyMod.jpeg

Everything that is in the sub-$100 range feels a bit chintsy, but the Prodigy is definitely above anything in the price range.
I am upgrading my 2009 computer build. My plan was to just upgrade the motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler, ram, and gpu. However, I am concerned my old psu might not be able to handle the current requirements of the newer graphics cards. I have the Antec Signature SG-850 power supply linked below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371018

It has a quadruple +12V rail design with the maximum current ranging from 22-25A. The max load across the four rails is 65A. Will this be able to handle say a GTX 760 which requires a minimum of 30A on the +12V rail? I am having my doubts.
It's probably fine, but I'd definitely put it on the to-do list at some point.

Keep in mind, PSUs that were designed around the Fermi GTX 4xx series of cards had higher power draw than the stuff today.

Danneee

I'm looking to buy some RAM for my PC build. Either 16gb of 1066mhz DDR3 or 8gb of 1600mhz DDR3.
Size or speed, which would I go for, price is about the same for both kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom