• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about boot times either, and only boot once in two weeks or so. Still, I'm never using a computer without SSD again after I upgrade my ancient desktop (my work laptops have been 100% SSD for the last three years). It's so much more responsive in everything. System never stops to wait for HDD to spin up, load dialogs come up instantly, my work stuff gets done faster, etc.
At least we're in the same boat about the boot time. I didn't try anything else besides a single game with SSD, so maybe I'd change my opinion on this if I tried..
I was waiting, internet. But thank you. I have indeed now heard EVERYTHING.
hahaha, I know it sounds kinda strange, but it really bugs me.

I would say that the R7 265 offers better performance in the same price range. The 750ti is only better if you don't have a 6-pin available and you get one of the ones that takes all the needed power over pci-e.

Better in performance, but I recommended the 750ti as he said his wife uses the onboard GPU, and this somehow tells me that he MIGHT need to replace the PSU when he goes with the R7 265, as it needs somewhat of 40-50watts more than the 750ti under full load.
And his limit was 150$, so a new PSU and GPU for 150 won't be a upgrade at all.

I'm looking to buy some RAM for my PC build. Either 16gb of 1066mhz DDR3 or 8gb of 1600mhz DDR3.
Size or speed, which would I go for, price is about the same for both kits.

Go for 16 gig if you ask me.
Also, what for do you need it? 8gig is still enough for today's games, but sure, if it's the same price as a fast 8 gig kit, go for the 16 gig.
I ddidn't recognize any difference between a 1333 and a 1600 kit, so 1066 should still be fine too.

Better in performance, but I recommended the 750ti as he said his wife uses the onboard GPU, and this somehow tells me that he MIGHT need to replace the PSU when he goes with the R7 265, as it needs somewhat of 40-50watts more than the 750ti under full load.

Doesn't that R7 265 come with two free games though? I look at that as a discount on the overall price if I can get a few games.

oti

Banned
Hey guys, it's the first time I build a PC for gaming so I'd love your feedback on this. I'm in Germany and this site builds the PC for you. How do you like it? I want this to be my main gaming "console" for the next years. I'll eventually buy a PS4 for the exclusives though. I'll be playing on a TV.

http://www.mifcom.de/product/1127/pc-konfigurator---intel-so.-1150-(core-i3-i5-i7)-haswell.html?config&cdeep={18}2353{11}2120{53}1207{19}2154{12}2117{4}762{29}1425{51}1109{5}806{8}41{7}802{9}43{13}1455{55}1304{56}1307{22}897{2}35{20}173{6}28{49}981{21}177{50}1058{17}996{33}607{41}707{31}577{35}685{1}1{23}267{47}956{10}49{30}501{15}124{66}1764{62}1640{24}370

vic2020

Neo Member
I just built myself a new PC :) since I have been gaming on my depressingly ancient windows XP machine playing WC3 DotA. I've been so tired of that ghetto.

Thank you for this thread. I wouldn't have built my own new pc without reading up on it here. SO many games to catch up on!!

Doesn't that R7 265 come with two free games though? I look at that as a discount on the overall price if I can get a few games.

Yeah it does, but on the other hand, what if hes not interested in those games, or just doesn't have more than that to spend on GPUs?
If I got let's say 500 bucks, and don't want to spend more than 300 bucks for 2 cards, then you may argue about those games "lowering" the price. If you just got 300 bucks, and not one penny more than that, you'll go with the cheaper option, instead of starving in front of your new rig

Hey guys, it's the first time I build a PC for gaming so I'd love your feedback on this. I'm in Germany and this site builds the PC for you. How do you like it? I want this to be my main gaming "console" for the next years. I'll eventually buy a PS4 for the exclusives though. I'll be playing on a TV.

http://www.mifcom.de/product/1127/pc-konfigurator---intel-so.-1150-(core-i3-i5-i7)-haswell.html?config&cdeep={18}2353{11}2120{53}1207{19}2154{12}2117{4}762{29}1425{51}1109{5}806{8}41{7}802{9}43{13}1455{55}1304{56}1307{22}897{2}35{20}173{6}28{49}981{21}177{50}1058{17}996{33}607{41}707{31}577{35}685{1}1{23}267{47}956{10}49{30}501{15}124{66}1764{62}1640{24}370

Für n Tausender kannst dir was besseres holen als das von dir verlinkte System: schau mal auf hardwareversand oder alternate, nur um Beispiele zu nennen. Beste wäre auf Geizhals die billigsten Vertreiber der Komponenten zu suchen, da sparst dann gleich mal 100-200, nur weils von andren Anbietern sind.
Selbst zusammenbauen ist keine Option für dich? Ist bei weitem nicht so schwer wie du denkst. Hab meinen ersten PC auch selbst zusammengebastelt, gibt ja genügend Videos und Anleitungen im Netz. Oder vllt n Bekannten der dir mit helfender Hand beiseite stehen kann?

Ansonsten, tausch die SSD gegen eine von Samsung, die SanDisk haben teilweise sehr schlechte Leistungen, für ne SSD. Klar, schneller als ne herkömmliche HDD, aber bei weitem nicht dass, was man mit SSDs ordentlicher Hersteller bekommt.
BeQuiet soll sich ziemlich gebessert haben von der Qualität, aber ich hab im Hinterkopf stets ihr schlechtes Image von früher. Ein Enermax wäre vermutlich ne Spur sicherer.
CPU Kühler: planst du zu übertakten? Wenn nicht, ist der boxed Kühler genauso gut wie dein jetziger. Ansonsten nimm einen vernünftigen, ala EKL Alpenföhn Brocken, Scythe Mugen, ..

// hier wäre das selbe System, nur mit einer besseren SSD und ohne 8€ Card Reader, für 788€, damit du siehst wieviel Geld man sparen kann. Da könnte man dann die übrigen 200€ noch für ein besseres Gehäuse, einen ordentlichen CPU Lüfter sowie eine noch größere SSD einplanen. Und vllt n tacken besseres Board, denn das ist echt eines der billigsten (nicht günstigsten)

1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST2000DM001)
1 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (MZ-7TE120BW)
1 x Intel Core i5-4670, 4x 3.40GHz, boxed (BX80646I54670)
1 x Kingston HyperX Beast DIMM XMP Kit 8GB, DDR3-2400, CL11-13-13 (KHX24C11T3K2/8X)
1 x Gainward GeForce GTX 770, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (2944)
1 x MSI H81M-E35 (7846-030R)
1 x LG Electronics GH24NSB0 schwarz, SATA, bulk (GH24NSB0.AUAA10B)
1 x Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus
1 x Cooler Master N300 (NSE-300-KKN1)
1 x be quiet! System Power 7 600W ATX 2.31 (BN145)

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Not an overclocked card, but overclocked CPU. Guild Wars 2 (and every MMO/multiplayer game) is heavily CPU dependent in terms of high clock speed and instructions per clock. A better video card will certainly improve your overall performance, but the only way you are going to get that game to run at 60+ FPS consistently is with an i5/i7 at 4.2 GHz+

My PC is a AMD Quad Core Phenom II, got it back in 2010. It's been running GW2 decently, around 40-50 fps, but I'd like to get it up to 60.

Can/should I overclock my CPU?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm at 45 multiplier right now with no issues at 1.2 volts. However, auto pushes it up to 1.33ish volts. =/
You need to use offset to have a variable vcore. The Intel Speedstepping stuff just changes the frequency of the processor based on load, which does also save power.

You shouldn't fret at all about a constant 1.2V.

Water

Worth considering if you want to invest about 120e more to bump the CPU to a K model, bump the mobo to a Z87 model, and get a better CPU cooler like the Hyper. These will allow you to overclock and get maybe 15% more CPU performance out of the system. A good cooler would make the machine more quiet under load even if you don't overclock.
Another thing I'd consider in your shoes - even before the OC upgrade, actually - is shelling out the extra 70e for a Define R4 case. A nice case that is quiet, looks good and keeps dust away is one of those things that you never regret investing in - just like good displays, good keyboards etc.

appaws

Banned

We don't know that though. I'm not willing to recommend an objectively inferior (channeling my inner Mkenyon) product based on a guess as to what their power supply situation is. Yes, if they have no 6-pin, or if they are really heavily limited as to the PSU, then maybe you are right. But for almost everyone, this is a no-brainer situation.

Yes, and he was considering buying 2 cards. That is a lot of added value right there.

Yeah it does, but on the other hand, what if hes not interested in those games, or just doesn't have more than that to spend on GPUs?
If I got let's say 500 bucks, and don't want to spend more than 300 bucks for 2 cards, then you may argue about those games "lowering" the price. If you just got 300 bucks, and not one penny more than that, you'll go with the cheaper option, instead of starving in front of your new rig

He said 300 for two cards, and I am recommending the best cards for the money at that price.

Look, the 750ti is a nice product....but it is a doomed product. AMD just beat them to the punch at that price range. The 750ti is really good in a few really limited situations. Like when PCPer stuck them into crappy OEM towers...etc. Other than that though, it's not even close.

So TTUVapor, if you are still reading, what kind of systems do you and your wife use?

ZOMFG!!! UPS is here...my water cooling stuff!!!! YAHTZEE@!

TheCloser

Banned
Not an overclocked card, but overclocked CPU. Guild Wars 2 (and every MMO/multiplayer game) is heavily CPU dependent in terms of high clock speed and instructions per clock. A better video card will certainly improve your overall performance, but the only way you are going to get that game to run at 60+ FPS consistently is with an i5/i7 at 4.2 GHz+

TMK, the Z87N cannot go above a 42 multiplier, correct? At that frequency, auto should be fine.

You're objectively wrong, at least when it comes to comparing it to similar priced stuff.

Ran a 7970, 670, and a friend even built a fully WC'd one:

900x900px-LL-24234145_ProdigyMod.jpeg

Everything that is in the sub-$100 range feels a bit chintsy, but the Prodigy is definitely above anything in the price range.

It's probably fine, but I'd definitely put it on the to-do list at some point.

Keep in mind, PSUs that were designed around the Fermi GTX 4xx series of cards had higher power draw than the stuff today.

Naa brah, the cooler master elite 110 is much better and its way cheaper. It also has good airflow. Did you have a windowed case? If you didn't then our experiences were probably different. Even if we ignore the airflow issues, the case is a poorly thought out. I didn't realize how bad it was till i bought the Corsair Obsidian 250D. Everything was simple and smartly designed. Easy to use and lots of room. I will never buy a bitfenix case again. Definitely a 1/10 case for me. It gets a one only because it fulfills the requirement of being a case.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know the answer to this question depends on many factors, but how often do you dust your rig?
Everyone is allowed an opinion.
the Node is better than all

Yep. Based Node. I dread having to dust it out, though.

We don't know that though. I'm not willing to recommend an objectively inferior (channeling my inner Mkenyon) product based on a guess as to what their power supply situation is. Yes, if they have no 6-pin, or if they are really heavily limited as to the PSU, then maybe you are right. But for almost everyone, this is a no-brainer situation.

So TTUVapor, if you are still reading, what kind of systems do you and your wife use?

Yeah ok you're right about that one. Would be the best to know about what PSU is in their rig.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

ZOMFG!!! UPS is here...my water cooling stuff!!!! YAHTZEE@!

My wife's system:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pavilion-desktop-8gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive/3199341.p?id=1219088675337&skuId=3199341&st=categoryid$pcmcat212600050008&cp=1&lp=2

AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500 with Radeon HD 8570D (this is one of those crappy OEMs AMD is doing now...)
8GB DDR3 RAM
I can't tell what her PSU is, the specs didn't show it on the Bestbuy site and I haven't opened it up yet. We just got it last Friday. I'm guessing 300w?

Mine:
AMD Phenom Quad-Core II (I think 3.4ghz)
6GB RAM ( I want to get another 2GB stick and have 8GB)
Radeon Hd 5770 1GB
500W PSU

The Radeon HD 7750 looks good, only $100 right now at Amazon.com. The 750Ti looks great too and is $150.

By the way, the games I play are: Starcraft II, CSGO, Quake Live, Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2. My system has been running those games fine, but I've always wanted to upgrade my graphics card to get some better fps.

As for my Wife's machine, the on-board 8000 series card isn't gonna cut it and it shows when she plays GW2. She gets 30fps but it looks like crap. So I know in order for her's to look like the way mine currently plays, we need to get her a card. I could probably do without one, but hey...I'd like to get a new card too lol.

My wife's system:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pavilion-desktop-8gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive/3199341.p?id=1219088675337&skuId=3199341&st=categoryid$pcmcat212600050008&cp=1&lp=2

AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500 with Radeon HD 8570D (this is one of those crappy OEMs AMD is doing now...)
8GB DDR3 RAM
I can't tell what her PSU is, the specs didn't show it on the Bestbuy site and I haven't opened it up yet. We just got it last Friday. I'm guessing 300w?

Mine:
Radeon Hd 5770 1GB
500W PSU

The Radeon HD 7750 looks good, only $100 right now at Amazon.com. The 750Ti looks great too and is $150.

By the way, the games I play are: Starcraft II, CSGO, Quake Live, Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2. My system has been running those games fine, but I've always wanted to upgrade my graphics card to get some better fps.

As for my Wife's machine, the on-board 8000 series card isn't gonna cut it and it shows when she plays GW2. She gets 30fps but it looks like crap. So I know in order for her's to look like the way mine currently plays, we need to get her a card. I could probably do without one, but hey...I'd like to get a new card too lol.
w/o looking at your wife's rig spec, I'd say it has a cheap china bomber PSU. OEM PCs hardly ever come with PSU which won't bite the grass when you add a dedicated GPU
Prolly some LC power PSU which won't handle any GPU

Your CPU is prolly a Phenom II 965 if it's 3,4GHz. It uses dual channel memory, so I dunno what kind of RAM you are currently using (2x3, 1x4 + 1x2, whatever) but you should go with a 2x4gb or 4x2gb kit if you want 8gig. What PSU exactly?
Also, Not sure on all of those games, but I think they all need a fast CPU. Sure, updating that 5770 from 2009/10 will increase your gains, but I'm not quiet sure on how much.

Also, if you just picked her rig up some days ago, you might think about returning and building a rig.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wait... People are still debating on an SSD in 2014?

It's super easy to find a quality 128GB model for under $100. Under $75 on occasion.

I got my first SSD in 2009.

Kingston 128GB -> 64GB Agility 2 -> 128 GB M4 -> 768 GB between 840 Pro and OWC 6G in my desktop and a 512GB in my MBP.

Guys, seriously, I can't think of a single decent reason to skip an SSD.

EDIT: As for the next bandwagon I know I need to jump on... When is that Asus g-sync monitor coming? I debated between 144hz and 1440p for the longest time; G-sync pushed me over the edge.

Wait... People are still debating on an SSD in 2014?

It's super easy to find a quality 128GB model for under $100. Under $75 on occasion.

I got my first SSD in 2009.

Kingston 128GB -> 64GB Agility 2 -> 128 GB M4 -> 768 GB between 840 Pro and OWC 6G in my desktop and a 512GB in my MBP.

Guys, seriously, I can't think of a single decent reason to skip an SSD.

I'll think about it when I build my next rig, but I didn't game anything at all the past 2 1/2 years, and I won't jump onto the train when I hardly use my rig for anything but browsing and watching HD movies.

I skipped on an SSD because I'd rather have better performance in games as opposed to more storage.

// nvm, I've got it wrong.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
w/o looking at your wife's rig spec, I'd say it has a cheap china bomber PSU. OEM PCs hardly ever come with PSU which won't bite the grass when you add a dedicated GPU
Prolly some LC power PSU which won't handle any GPU

Your CPU is prolly a Phenom II 965 if it's 3,4GHz. It uses dual channel memory, so I dunno what kind of RAM you are currently using (2x3, 1x4 + 1x2, whatever) but you should go with a 2x4gb or 4x2gb kit if you want 8gig. What PSU exactly?
Also, Not sure on all of those games, but I think they all need a fast CPU. Sure, updating that 5770 from 2009/10 will increase your gains, but I'm not quiet sure on how much.

Also, if you just picked her rig up some days ago, you might think about returning and building a rig.

I'm not exactly the most PC savvy person when it comes to building a PC. I can do basic components like changing out power supply, case fans, hard drives, and graphics cards. I've never installed a motherboard or a CPU heatsink, so I would be scared I'd break something or install something incorrectly.

I have 3x2GB ram sticks for a total of 6GB. There's one more slot left for another 2GB stick.

I'm not exactly the most PC savvy person when it comes to building a PC. I can do basic components like changing out power supply, case fans, hard drives, and graphics cards. I've never installed a motherboard or a CPU heatsink, so I would be scared I'd break something or install something incorrectly.

I have 3x2GB ram sticks for a total of 6GB. There's one more slot left for another 2GB stick.

Well, then there are only 3 things you would have to do: screw the motherboard with the pins into the case, which by far is the easiest thing in building a rig. Even connection the power cables in the right places is more of an challenge, cause you have to find the right spots on the motherboard.. Place the CPU into the socket, which slips into the socket by itself when you put it on top, and mount the heatsink, which isn't hard either. You put termal paste on, use the metal plates giving to the heatsink, mount them and then add the heatsink on top. Not much you could damage. The most risky thing when building a rig is probably putting the CPU into the socket, and even there people hardly ever fail.

You should really consider this. It takes an average 2 hours for someone who is know to all this to build a complete rig. Including taking all the parts out of the boxes, razorblading the boxes into small pieces and throwing them into the wastepaper basket

appaws

Banned
My wife's system:

8GB DDR3 RAM

Mine:
Radeon Hd 5770 1GB
500W PSU

Man, that was $549...! If I were you I would return that and get that money. You could build the entry level build in the OP and it would be WAAAAAY better than that...and upgradeable over time. It's really easy to put together a PC...if you can put together legos, you can do it no problem.

We would help you here if you needed it. People from this thread even would help you in person if you live nearby!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Man, that was $549...! If I were you I would return that and get that money. You could build the entry level build in the OP and it would be WAAAAAY better than that...and upgradeable over time. It's really easy to put together a PC...if you can put together legos, you can do it no problem.

We would help you here if you needed it. People from this thread even would help you in person if you live nearby!

We actually got it on sale for $499.99, but yea, it was over $500, plus an additional LCD display and a gaming mouse, and another copy of GW2 lol.

One day when I have some more cash hanging around and free time, I will commit to building a PC, I think it would definitely be fun to try and yes, I'm a huge lego fan, and love legos! I'll admit, for the time being, l'm choosing to be lazy and take the convenience route lol.

Smokey

Was just getting ready to pull the trigger on the 4k Samsung U28D59D. Single pane, no terrible MST...but apparently SLI is broken with this monitor. Can't go any higher than 1440p. Nvidia said they are aware and will be addressed but still...-_-

Glad I read around first

Ashhong

Semi unrelated but I just bought that TP Powerline thing from Newegg and I noticed that they charge tax BEFORE the promo code. That seems dumb to me. How can they charge tax on more than what I paid for the item? Pfffft.

Oh well, picked up some white zip ties while I'm at it to finalize my build :D

brentech

Semi unrelated but I just bought that TP Powerline thing from Newegg and I noticed that they charge tax BEFORE the promo code. That seems dumb to me. How can they charge tax on more than what I paid for the item? Pfffft.

Oh well, picked up some white zip ties while I'm at it to finalize my build :D

Pretty much everywhere does that

mkenyon

Banned
Naa brah, the cooler master elite 110 is much better and its way cheaper. It also has good airflow. Did you have a windowed case? If you didn't then our experiences were probably different. Even if we ignore the airflow issues, the case is a poorly thought out. I didn't realize how bad it was till i bought the Corsair Obsidian 250D. Everything was simple and smartly designed. Easy to use and lots of room. I will never buy a bitfenix case again. Definitely a 1/10 case for me. It gets a one only because it fulfills the requirement of being a case.
1) The Prodigy has a total of 5 120mm fan mounts. The Elite 110 is incapable of having better airflow.

2) On my 670/2500K/Z77-I system, yes, there was a window.

3) Poorly thought out? Endless SSD mounting options. Water cooling support for an array of different setups. Accepts thick 120mm AIOs, standard 240mm AIOs, and almost any tower cooler that can be bought. It takes full sized 160mm PSUs. It has intelligent cable routing holes exactly where they need to be. It has awesome little spots next to the PSU to stuff extra cables.

There is literally not a single other ITX case on the market that has as much capability nor compatibility as the Prodigy/Phenom. You don't have to search through endless reviews for "will it fit?", because the answer is yes.

I honestly can't tell if I'm being trolled or not.

But, the stock fans aren't great. They're anemic when it comes to obstructed airflow. Still, not like modern systems pull enough wattage to have a significant difference. The days of 300W CPUs and 250W+ GPUs are long over.
Was just getting ready to pull the trigger on the 4k Samsung U28D59D. Single pane, no terrible MST...but apparently SLI is broken with this monitor. Can't go any higher than 1440p. Nvidia said they are aware and will be addressed but still...-_-

Glad I read around first
Don't be a 4K beta tester. It has a ways to go before everything is gravy.
EDIT: As for the next bandwagon I know I need to jump on... When is that Asus g-sync monitor coming? I debated between 144hz and 1440p for the longest time; G-sync pushed me over the edge.
Apparently they had to recalibrate all of their G-Sync modules. Initially they thought they were going to work automatically on any monitor, now they found out each monitor needs a specifically calibrated G-Sync module. May/June was the last I heard.

The 750ti and r7 265 are both around $150. No reason to get 750ti unless you just hate AMD or don't have a PSU that can handle them and can't or won't get a new one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJNQ8ZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: or Shadowplay

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
[goodpoints]

I honestly can't tell if I'm being trolled or not.

But, the stock fans aren't great. They're anemic when it comes to obstructed airflow. Still, not like modern systems pull enough wattage to have a significant difference. The days of 300W CPUs and 250W+ GPUs are long over.
But no need for this

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Apparently they had to recalibrate all of their G-Sync modules. Initially they thought they were going to work automatically on any monitor, now they found out each monitor needs a specifically calibrated G-Sync module. May/June was the last I heard.

Hmm... well that sucks. Gives me more time to save up; looks like they're gonna come in around $600; a good $200 more than I was hoping originally.

Is CyberLink my only option for Blu-Ray movie playing? I'm trying to find a way to play BD movies and I feel like I have to be missing something. What do you use to play Blu-Rays??

ombz

Is CyberLink my only option for Blu-Ray movie playing? I'm trying to find a way to play BD movies and I feel like I have to be missing something. What do you use to play Blu-Rays??
There are other paid software that plays blu-rays but basically ya unfortunately.
You could download makemkv to rip the Blu-ray Disc as an alternative.

LilJoka

PCs are awful to play Blu Ray films on from my experience. The best is still the PS3. You need licensed software to play Blu Rays, so your standard VLC/Media Player Classis or even XBMC wont play them natively.

Just want to say a huge thank you too everyone in this thread. You've been so much help and I couldn't thank you enough. I'm sure I'll be back for more questions but for now, I can sit and wait for my PC. I'll be ordering tomorrow so it'll be here by Thursday or Friday! Should I be posting pictures when I'm done?

mkenyon

Banned
Hmm... well that sucks. Gives me more time to save up; looks like they're gonna come in around $600; a good $200 more than I was hoping originally.
I'm sure I read $700 somewhere for the 1440p 120hz gsync?

It will be £700 here in the UK
Yeah, $800 was what I heard.
Just want to say a huge thank you too everyone in this thread. You've been so much help and I couldn't thank you enough. I'm sure I'll be back for more questions but for now, I can sit and wait for my PC. I'll be ordering tomorrow so it'll be here by Thursday or Friday! Should I be posting pictures when I'm done?
\m/

PCs are awful to play Blu Ray films on from my experience. The best is still the PS3. You need licensed software to play Blu Rays, so your standard VLC/Media Player Classis or even XBMC wont play them natively.
Just use MakeMKV to rip the BD and play it in a media player. It's way better than dealing with all the menu BS.

bennycash

Neo Member
Pretty excited, just bought my first part for $189.99 at Micro Center, which is the i5-4670K! Goal is to get the rest of the parts by June after a few paychecks and start my first build. If only I knew what to get next, motherboard or GPU? This is exciting, been wanting to do this for years now.

kcp12304

Banned
First time builder's attempt at a $650 gaming build (with monitor+win 8). Trying to stay around that price. Bought most of the stuff at Microcenter and Newegg. No problems hopefully. Thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ATzx

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($0.00) [CPU Combo]
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.50)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($139.99)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: HP W2072a (A3M50AA#ABA) 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($89.99)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($0.00)
Other: TAX ($24.76)
Total: $640.19

Haven't bought that case yet. Should I get the NZXT Source 210 or the Rosewill Blackbone. Or is there a better case in the $30 range? Edit: The Blackbone is 31.99 at Newegg

kharma45

First time builder's attempt at a $650 gaming build (with monitor+win 8). Trying to stay around that price. Bought most of the stuff at Microcenter and Newegg. No problems hopefully. Thoughts?

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($0.00) [CPU Combo]
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99)

Haven't bought that case yet. Should I get the NZXT Source 210 or the Rosewill Blackbone. Or is there a better case in the $30 range? Edit: The Blackbone is 31.99 at Newegg

Corsair 200R is $40 and would be my choice. Well worth it http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...C-9011023-WW&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1070

Pretty excited, just bought my first part for $189.99 at Micro Center, which is the i5-4670K! Goal is to get the rest of the parts by June after a few paychecks and start my first build. If only I knew what to get next, motherboard or GPU? This is exciting, been wanting to do this for years now.

Microcenter usually do mobo combo deals with the CPU deals that work out pretty good value. It with the UD4H is $320.

IceIpor

You could try getting Windows 8 from Reddit for $10-20 and save some money.

I see a keyboard in that list. Did you already have a mouse?

kcp12304

Banned
You could try getting Windows 8 from Reddit for $10-20 and save some money.

I see a keyboard in that list. Did you already have a mouse?

I do. Are there any down sides or risks in buying one of those keys?

The shipping is $13 for me. Its tempting and possibly worth the extra money.

Thanks y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom