• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubo

Put this together out of curiosity to see how much the 4670k bump would be with the GAF recommended Z87 starter board.

Not too bad if you're willing to drop to a 120gb ssd.

It all depends on how this compares to what you've paid already + cost of PSU and new GPU though.

SHADES

Yeah the 3770 goes for about £200 and id rather have that over the i5 4440. its about 5% slower clock for clock, but the 3770 is clocked higher and it Hyper threaded.

How much did you spend on the rig?
Things that arent optimal on the rig you got, the crap PSU and Mobo only has 2 DIMM slots. Otherwise CPU/GPU/RAM is ok. Id check if the RAM is 1333/1600Mhz (doesnt matter too much, but indication of value).

The ram is 1333Mhz.

Put this together out of curiosity to see how much the 4670k bump would be with the GAF recommended Z87 starter board.

Not too bad if you're willing to drop to a 120gb ssd.

It all depends on how this compares to what you've paid already + cost of PSU and new GPU though.

Paid £500 for the rig & it's probably going to cost another £150 to put right.

TBH I think I'm just going to get my money back and build it myself as it looks a good deal in some places but many corners cut in others and if it's causing me issues this early on I thinks it's an omen that there's more to come. The power harness looks like it's been extended behind the MOBO, the way the power system as been hooked up doesn't appeal to me either and at some point I think that set ups going to bite me in the arse, but thanks for putting those builds together btw :) I'll definitely be using them for reference next week.

Did you go with the Noctua?

If you did and it ends up being the cause, I'd recommend contacting them to see if you can get a replacement. They are supposed to be quiet.
Nope cooler master. It's really hard to to overstate just how quiet it is, I just want to make sure it's not breaking or something with the buzz.

Found a decent deal on a MSI 780 OC and had a last minute concern if my ~five year old Corsair 620W is still sufficient now that I've overclocked the 2500K to 4.5GHz.
Should probably be fine, based on how it compares to the 580 (I have a 570DCII) in this test.

Also should probably check if I even have enough power connectors. Yup, two 6/8. This PSU has been good to me.

xBladeM6x

I pretty experienced with building computers, but the one thing I've never taken the time to "get" is how exactly you go about updating motherboard drivers / BIOS. I don't know "where" I should go exactly to find that kind of information, and if the latest is a good thing. I'm currently using an Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3.

mkenyon

Banned
I pretty experienced with building computers, but the one thing I've never taken the time to "get" is how exactly you go about updating motherboard drivers / BIOS. I don't know "where" I should go exactly to find that kind of information, and if the latest is a good thing. I'm currently using an Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3.
Each manufacturer has a different tool/system to update BIOS, but you almost always do it in BIOS.. Sticking with newest is going to be best 9 out of 10 times, but that 10th time could be a major pain. Just googling the name of the BIOS revision should yield enough info to make a quick decision.

Download the file from the support website, stick it on a FAT 32 formatted USB stick, and then you're off.

Do they have a thread where I can ask something about PC problems? I don't specifically know where to post this but it's an unusual problem, so I'm not sure where to post it.

I reformatted my PC 2 days ago because I've been having these weird errors on websites the past few months. It seems to do it on frequently visited websites I visit and it gives me and "invalid URL" or some random error like that. What's weird is if I close my browser or reboot it gets rid of the problem. I figured it was some kind of virus but I literally used at least 10 different AVs/spyware/malware programs and NOTHING found anything on PC. So, I got tired of it and wiped my HDD out and reformatted.

Problem is, it's back and I have AV/firewall protection as I did before. WTF could this possibly be? If it was a virus wiping my HDD out would've got rid of it, right? Really annoying problem. It only pops up on occasions and I've never noticed anything else odd with my PC. Is it possible for some type of hardware error to cause this? I'm not really sure how but it's really bizarre to say the least.

Smokey

Posted about this a couple months ago...but the issue appears to have come up again. Woke up this morning and noticed my PC was shutdown. I pressed the power button and it starts up like normal and then maybe 5 seconds later it shuts down. I can still see the mobo lights on through the window though.

I flipped switch on PSU. Unplugged AC cord. Unplugged all peripherals except the monitor...and nothing. I tried this for about 15 minutes,but I had to leave for work.

Not the PSU because the mobo is still getting power (power light and a few others on) right? so what's the deal here?

Update 2: Earlier today I had my fiance flip PSU switch off and unplug AC cord from the wall. All peripherals were unplugged. Got home and flipped everything back on and the PC is up and running like normal. When the login screen came up, it was as if it came back from sleep. Even though everything was unplugged from the wall. All of my applications were still there as if nothing happened.

Update 2: Earlier today I had my fiance flip PSU switch off and unplug AC cord from the wall. All peripherals were unplugged. Got home and flipped everything back on and the PC is up and running like normal. When the login screen came up, it was as if it came back from sleep. Even though everything was unplugged from the wall. All of my applications were still there as if nothing happened.

Your mobo can still get power with a bad PSU. I've had a few fail that was similar to this but not exactly as you're describing. PSU is the most common cause. Could be other things too like a bad mobo. My last PSU that died did so while I was playing Skyrim. It shut my entire PC off. Booted it back up and never saw another problem for about 3 months then all of a sudden it just shut itself off randomly one day. Booted back up, didn't see another problem for about a month and then it shut off again. Each time I booted it up it only stayed on for about 5 minutes past that point and then I knew it was likely bad PSU. I remember the last time it died I was having trouble turning my PC back on and doing exactly as you described, unplugging everything and that was the only way I could get it back on.

If you have a spare PSU laying around that know is good I would try it out and see if your problem goes away.

Stubo

That sounds more like she used hibernate instead of sleep to me, but then from what you've said about your build it's a strange one so it could be anything :p

Gaffers, I need your opinion about this build. Given my game backlog is huge on PC and Xbox 360 (and money is short), I'm looking for a mid-tier video card. Also, I don't think that being able to overclock (CPU and GPU) is worth the extra* bucks.

* Since I live in Brazil, I won't post our "reasonable" prices, to spare little children, pregnant women and people with heart conditions.

It'll be my first build, any sugestion or tip are appreciated. Thanks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer

Smokey

Your mobo can still get power with a bad PSU. I've had a few fail that was similar to this but not exactly as you're describing. PSU is the most common cause. Could be other things too like a bad mobo. My last PSU that died did so while I was playing Skyrim. It shut my entire PC off. Booted it back up and never saw another problem for about 3 months then all of a sudden it just shut itself off randomly one day. Booted back up, didn't see another problem for about a month and then it shut off again. Each time I booted it up it only stayed on for about 5 minutes past that point and then I knew it was likely bad PSU. I remember the last time it died I was having trouble turning my PC back on and doing exactly as you described, unplugging everything and that was the only way I could get it back on.

If you have a spare PSU laying around that know is good I would try it out and see if your problem goes away.

Maybe. It did randomly shut down when I was playing BF4 some months ago. First time it's ever done that. The more recent occasions have been when the machine was put in hibernate/sleep like today and it won't come on. It could be the mobo...it's getting dated (P8Z68 Deluxe )and as I mentioned earlier I usually keep my PC on. My PSU is pretty nice -- Seasonic Platinum 1000w. It's not an overload issue or anything. My setup doesn't come close to the 1000w rating. I do have a Corsair AX860 I could try...

Or maybe this could be a good excuse to move to a 1200w supply and more justification for X99 and Haswell-E

Nvm, struggling to load up images from iPad. Sums up my day.

Dude that's not an ideal setup. Try running dedicated cables for each component. The fans can share a cable but drives + GPU + fans is not good.

Is there any reason to hold off on buying a monitor? Interested in 1080p /24 inch / $200 range. Not against High refresh rate just worried that my components (GTX 660 / Haswell Quad) wouldn't justify the purchase. I figure since CES has come and gone nothing amazing is coming out besides the alleged G-Sync 1440p's

Dumb question: Can a 120/144 Hz monitor v sync at 45/60/90 Hz? I can lots of games above 60 but not quite at 120/144.

Tablo

The only reason to hold off would be for Gsync. That would benefit you regardless of whether you can maintain high FPS. A 1080p Gsync monitor would be a good fit the 660 IMO. Though I don't know when they're coming and they might be pretty pricey...

LilJoka

Gaffers, I need your opinion about this build. Given my game backlog is huge on PC and Xbox 360 (and money is short), I'm looking for a mid-tier video card. Also, I don't think that being able to overclock (CPU and GPU) is worth the extra* bucks.

* Since I live in Brazil, I won't post our "reasonable" prices, to spare little children, pregnant women and people with heart conditions.

Avoid that SSD, try and get a Samsung or Crucial. Kingston put out that SSD as their flagship model but is awful compared to their last flagship model and even budget SSDs.

If your only running a GTX 750, you wont need such a large PSU, look for a 450-500W PSU. Also on the GPU front, maybe pickup a 750Ti if possible. Its super efficient to run.

Replace the GPU with a GTX750ti 2gb
Also, the PSU is way too much. 400-450watts is enough for that setup

Maybe a better SSD. Something like Samsung EVO 120gb or Crucial M500 120gb

//Damnit, 10 seconds too slow haha

Also, since you're not going to OC anything at all, you can also save some bucks on the motherboard.

Xamdou

Would this be a good PC gaming monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16824236305&cm_sp=

Specs:

Model
Brand
ASUS
Model
VX238H
Cabinet Color
Black

Display
Screen Size
23"
LED Backlight
Yes
Widescreen
Yes
Recommended Resolution
1920 x 1080
Viewing Angle
170°(H) / 160°(V)
Pixel Pitch
0.2652mm
Display Colors
16.7 Million
Brightness
250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio
80,000,000:1
Response Time
1ms (GTG)

Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility
Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors
D-Sub, HDMI
D-Sub
DVI
No
HDMI
DisplayPort
No

Power
Power Supply
100 - 240 VAC, 50/60Hz
Power Consumption
Power Consumption(Typical):<34W
Power Saving Mode:<0.5W
Power Off Mode: <0.5W

Convenience
Stand Adjustments
Tilt
Built-in TV Tuner
No
Built-in Speakers
1.5W x 2 Stereo RMS
HDCP Support
Yes

Dimensions
Dimensions
21.58" x 15.85" x 8.27"
Weight
5.73 lbs.

Good price for $120, but should I look for a 120hz one for gaming?

mkenyon

Banned
Go into BIOS and disable sleep states. That should prevent something similar from happening again.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Buddy just talked Ms store to sell him 14" 2014 Razer blade early. We bounced out of work and are on way now! Excited!

SHADES

Dude that's not an ideal setup. Try running dedicated cables for each component. The fans can share a cable but drives + GPU + fans is not good.

Thanks for your input, I've agreed with the seller to refund the full amount and will be building my own rig next week in the correct manner, so expect many more questions! Lol.

maneil99

Would this be a good PC gaming monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16824236305&cm_sp=

Specs:

Good price for $120, but should I look for a 120hz one for gaming?

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-vg248qe-24in-widescreen-1920x1080-6a-80244-1070.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/benq-xl2420z-24in-led-144hz-06-94227-1224.htm

Best two high refresh rate monitors out there for a decent price from my research. I am going to order the Benq this weekend hopefully

McBryBry

What's a good bang for your buck 27" monitor? I wanna go bigger than 24" but the extra three inches drives the price up quite a bit.

So, it's done, my first self-build PC, luckily, everything works now after a few problems (monitor didn't show anything). ^^

I'll change the Corsair case fans though, bit louder than I thought, I'll going to replace them with bequiet fans.

Windows 8.1 + SSD = dat speed

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Anyone have any suggestions for a USB wireless adapter? I only need it when my desktop is at home- since I spend most of the year in a dorm with a nearby Ethernet port I don't need it to be in there all the time. I'm running Windows 7, by the way.

Tilian

Banned
Budget: $3000 Canadian.
Main use: Gaming (5), Emulation (PS2, Wii) (5), General usage (5), 1080p video (5). No video editing. Just gaming and work (basic MS Office stuff).
Monitor Resolution: 27&#8221; 1080p.
Games: 60fps minimum. Below is unacceptable. Stuff I want to run ultra at 60fps minimum: Witcher 3, Watch Dogs, The Division, Metro LL, Project Cars, Cyberpunk 2077, Routine &#8211; stuff of this ilk. No idea what CUDA or PhysX is.
Overclocking: Yes (though I have no idea how yet).
Supersampling: I would like to supersample if my build can handle it while maintaining 60fps.
Reuse: 1) 27&#8221; 1080p monitor; 2) EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX (note: this will eventually be replaced by a Maxwell GPU at launch); 3) 100GB SSD.
When: As soon as the i7-4790K is available.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tilian/saved/4AAY

Notes:
1. I&#8217;m a first-time builder (traditionally console gamer) who knows little, but want to learn (OP has been amazing to read and learn, so thank you!).
2. Going for mini-itx SFF, and quiet as possible, as it will sit on my desk. I understand the Phenom mini-itx (which I am very set on) is not a dedicated NR case, but I assume it&#8217;s not too bad noise-wise?
3. My plan is to use my GTX 760 until the 800-series launches, and then spend $1000.00 (or whatever) on whatever best succeeds the 780ti. The reason for waiting is that 1) I don&#8217;t want to spend 700 bucks on the 780ti for such a short time when I plan on getting a Maxwell GPU at launch; and that 2) in the meantime, I have the traditional Steam backlog of stuff like Deus Ex: HR and Witcher 2 to tide me over. Nonetheless -- is this a poor idea to &#8220;split&#8221; the build process into two parts as I plan it?
4. Build must have wi-fi.

Questions:
1. I&#8217;m foregoing an internal ODD as is necessary. Will my external DVD drive boot my W7 install disk even though it&#8217;s USB? Or does installation require an internal ODD?
2. Is the Corsair H100i needed, or will the H60 suffice for my needs? (Again, I plan to overclock though likely conservatively since I don&#8217;t know how yet).
3. What is lost, at least in theory for my needs, by going for Z97 and Haswell Refresh now instead of waiting it out until Haswell-E and X99 arrives?
4. For the purposes of noise reduction, are there any ideal extras to consider, such as NoiseBlocker fans to replace the stock ones?
5. And of course, how does this build look? Imbalances?

Cheers for any help and insight for a first-time builder.

Xamdou

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-vg248qe-24in-widescreen-1920x1080-6a-80244-1070.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/benq-xl2420z-24in-led-144hz-06-94227-1224.htm

Best two high refresh rate monitors out there for a decent price from my research. I am going to order the Benq this weekend hopefully

That BenQ is an LCD, while the Asus is an LED. Also that side canadian?

Edit* Looks like Frys is selling the BenQ monitors with up to 144HZ!

http://www.frys.com/product/8050294?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

scogoth

Questions:
1. I&#8217;m foregoing an internal ODD as is necessary. Will my external DVD drive boot my W7 install disk even though it&#8217;s USB? Or does installation require an internal ODD?
2. Is the Corsair H100i needed, or will the H60 suffice for my needs? (Again, I plan to overclock though likely conservatively since I don&#8217;t know how yet).
3. What is lost, at least in theory for my needs, by going for Z97 and Haswell Refresh now instead of waiting it out until Haswell-E and X99 arrives?
4. For the purposes of noise reduction, are there any ideal extras to consider, such as NoiseBlocker fans to replace the stock ones?
5. And of course, how does this build look? Imbalances?

Cheers for any help and insight for a first-time builder.

1) Use Windows 7 USB tool to install from a USB stick http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
2) 4790k isn't out yet so its hard to tell. If it suffers from the same headwall issue (cause by bad TIM under the heat spreader of the CPU) then the H100 is overkill without delidding your CPU. If they fixed it then H100 will help.
3) For ITX nothing really. DDR4 and more than 4 cores will help media creation tasks but I doubt it will do much if anything for gaming.
4) For $3000 you could grab some better fans like some Gentle Typhoons for the radiator. Not necessary but nice to have
5) Will look better if you get custom sleeved cables =)
I'll make them at cost for you

Also do you live in/near Toronto, Vancouver or Winnipeg? If you want help there are gaffers available in those cities.

appaws

Banned

Other people touched on the other parts, so I will just give one opinion. I used to have the Corsair 400R, and I hated it.

Go for something else in that price range, like the new Phanteks case or the Define R4.

Tilian

Banned
1) Use Windows 7 USB tool to install from a USB stick http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
2) 4790k isn't out yet so its hard to tell. If it suffers from the same headwall issue (cause by bad TIM under the heat spreader of the CPU) then the H100 is overkill without delidding your CPU. If they fixed it then H100 will help.
3) For ITX nothing really. DDR4 and more than 4 cores will help media creation tasks but I doubt it will do much if anything for gaming.
4) For $3000 you could grab some better fans like some Gentle Typhoons for the radiator. Not necessary but nice to have
5) Will look better if you get custom sleeved cables =)
I'll make them at cost for you

Also do you live in/near Toronto, Vancouver or Winnipeg? If you want help there are gaffers available in those cities.

Great, thanks for the suggestions. So it looks to be pretty sound, then. Those Typhoons look ideal for what I want, so I'll grab some.

No, I'm not near those cities, but thanks again. And I fear that internal aesthetics will likely be wasted on my first-time build :)

Do they have a thread where I can ask something about PC problems? I don't specifically know where to post this but it's an unusual problem, so I'm not sure where to post it.

I reformatted my PC 2 days ago because I've been having these weird errors on websites the past few months. It seems to do it on frequently visited websites I visit and it gives me and "invalid URL" or some random error like that. What's weird is if I close my browser or reboot it gets rid of the problem. I figured it was some kind of virus but I literally used at least 10 different AVs/spyware/malware programs and NOTHING found anything on PC. So, I got tired of it and wiped my HDD out and reformatted.

Problem is, it's back and I have AV/firewall protection as I did before. WTF could this possibly be? If it was a virus wiping my HDD out would've got rid of it, right? Really annoying problem. It only pops up on occasions and I've never noticed anything else odd with my PC. Is it possible for some type of hardware error to cause this? I'm not really sure how but it's really bizarre to say the least.

Just asking this again so hopefully someone can help here. Is it possible that my internal clock is doing this or my CMOS Battery going bad? I do sometimes get untrusted connection links.

DTKT

Just asking this again so hopefully someone can help here. Is it possible that my internal clock is doing this or my CMOS Battery going bad? I do sometimes get untrusted connection links.

Have you tried to :

1) Switch between browsers : IE, Firefox and Chrome?
2) Internal clock being out of date will create SSL errors. Your browser will think that websites certificates are expired since your local time will be outside the "valid from-to" field.

This sounds like a network issue. What router are you using? Do you have a spare you could try?

Have you tried to :

1) Switch between browsers : IE, Firefox and Chrome?
2) Internal clock being out of date will create SSL errors. Your browser will think that websites certificates are expired since your local time will be outside the "valid from-to" field.

This sounds like a network issue. What router are you using? Do you have a spare you could try?

It does it across all browsers. I've thought about a possible router issue too. I can wire it directly into my modem and bypass the router. I think I'll try that and see if it eliminates my problem. I haven't noticed any errors with my clock or anything so I'm thinking it might be router related and a possible DNS setting.

It does it across all browsers. I've thought about a possible router issue too. I can wire it directly into my modem and bypass the router. I think I'll try that and see if it eliminates my problem. I haven't noticed any errors with my clock or anything so I'm thinking it might be router related and a possible DNS setting.

I'd have to agree with DTKT. It sounds like your router just hates some websites. I remember running into this issue with my Linksys router with some stupid speedboost or whatever crap was installed. I installed DD-WRT custom firmware on it and I've had flawless connection ever since. That's probably overkill though; just check and make sure you don't have any strange setting checked on your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom