• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried a different cable?

I'm in the process of getting another one but i'm about 99% it's not the cable. I turn on the computer and the monitor doesn't recognize it, but I can hear the boot up sound and the clicking noises coming through the speakers so I know on some level it's working fine.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm in the process of getting another one but i'm about 99% it's not the cable. I turn on the computer and the monitor doesn't recognize it, but I can hear the boot up sound and the clicking noises coming through the speakers so I know on some level it's working fine.
It's either the GPU, the cable between the GPU and the monitor, or the monitor.

scogoth

I'm sure future revisions will have improvements. It's a beautiful design and is a step in the right direction for small form factor Pc's

Or replace it. I know that's the costly way of doing things but I really enjoyed working with that case. The PSU is a standard 1U server PSU so you can find east replacements. I've found an 850W that is the same size and after a black powder coat would make it an epic build.

mkenyon

Banned
Or replace it. I know that's the costly way of doing things but I really enjoyed working with that case. The PSU is a standard 1U server PSU so you can find east replacements. I've found an 850W that is the same size and after a black powder coat would make it an epic build.
Maybe with a MVI Impact with a full board block?

Stubo

Except they cancelled Titan-Z :(
Isn't it just delayed?

NVIDIA Delays GeForce GTX Titan Z Launch Once Again – Reason Said To Be Unfinished Drivers, Possible Clock Speed Bump Incoming

(This was the most recent result on the news tab on Google)

Edit: Also - Gigabyte Windforce OC Titan Black review...£839.74!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nLwQKTe.jpg

sJKnC5W.jpg

Stubo

Speaking of fried I did 1.6v on the 3770k. Still no luck on 5.1 =(
Time to brush up on skew timings
You're crazy and I love it.

That new Windforce cooler looks ridiculous, the temperature and sound benches are amazing for it. Seems it doesn't actually help to clock the card though. What a massive waste (of the cooler and money).

Hi all,

My PC has been a wee bit sluggish on some games as of late. I think it's probably due a reinstall, but I was wondering if there was anything on the parts list worth refreshing?

I'm planning to pick up a Bitfenix Prodigy case, and then moving most of my current guts over. I'd be looking to spend about £200 (not including case), maybe a bit more if the upgrade is worth it.

Here's what I've got currently:

Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 3.30 GHz
Geforce GTX 560 Ti (Twin Frozr II/OC)
Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD Drive
8GB RAM (2x Rendition by Crucial 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1333)
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
2x HDD 1x SSD

Thanks guys!

kennah

Hi all,

My PC has been a wee bit sluggish on some games as of late. I think it's probably due a reinstall, but I was wondering if there was anything on the parts list worth refreshing?

I'm planning to pick up a Bitfenix Prodigy case, and then moving most of my current guts over. I'd be looking to spend about £200 (not including case), maybe a bit more if the upgrade is worth it.

2x HDD 1x SSD

Thanks guys!

Pick up a Z77 board, over clock that 2500K to 4ghz and beyond. Change out your video card to something a little more modern and you're pretty golden all around. Too bad you weren't on this side of the pond. I'd sell you a Bitfenix Prodigy with an Asus P8Z77-I motherboard for a good price :p

kharma45

Hi all,

2x HDD 1x SSD

Thanks guys!

Pick up a Z77 board, over clock that 2500K to 4ghz and beyond. Change out your video card to something a little more modern and you're pretty golden all around. Too bad you weren't on this side of the pond. I'd sell you a Bitfenix Prodigy with an Asus P8Z77-I motherboard for a good price :p

Something like this maybe could be on the cards

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£56.71 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£102.32 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £159.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-10 00:31 BST+0100)

Gigabyte doesn't offer voltage control for overclocking so a bit more gets you this

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£125.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £182.70
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-10 00:35 BST+0100)

H60 would be nice and tidy inside the Prodigy.

Prodigy M might be worth a look too but mkenyon knows much more about mITX than I.

FRACTAL R4 ON SALE FOR $80 @ NEWEGG - PROMO CODE EMCPEWA24

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-050914-Index-_-ComputerCases-_-11352020-L0B

*edit* attempt 2

That's a great deal on a quality case.

Now that's tempting

Red Comet

Damn it. I just installed a new cooler in my PC, and I must have done something wrong because right after starting a stress test some of the cores hit as high as 100C. I instantly stopped the test, but it was probably running for a good 10 seconds. Is it probable that the CPU was permanently damaged from running that high?

For some reason, my Windows 8.1 installation has deactivated after I woke it out of sleep just now. I've done nothing for hardware changes outside of installing a Hyper 212 Evo and reseating some RAM I removed to make installation of the heat sink easier and that was almost literally a week ago.

Hopefully Microsoft customer support can deal with it, but it's too late in the day for me to deal with them.

Very kind of you, I probably would have taken you up on that! I do have my heart set on the bright orange one though :p

It seems like that Asus board is a good one, I was going to complain about the price, but it's only about 40 quid difference between that and the ASRock I was looking at.

Looks like that and a graphics card is going to blitz that budget though! I didn't think it would last.

Is it worth picking up a cooler if I'm going to be overclocking?

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£125.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £182.70
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-10 00:35 BST+0100)

H60 would be nice and tidy inside the Prodigy.

Prodigy M might be worth a look too but mkenyon knows much more about mITX than I.

That looks like a good shout combo actually! Leaves room for picking up a graphics card a few months down the line.

BIGWORM

Damn it. I just installed a new cooler in my PC, and I must have done something wrong because right after starting a stress test some of the cores hit as high as 100C. I instantly stopped the test, but it was probably running for a good 10 seconds. Is it probable that the CPU was permanently damaged from running that high?

No. On synthetic tests, when I OC my 4670k to 4.4, I can hit my TJMax of 100c quite quickly. What cooler do you have?

Red Comet

No. On synthetic tests, when I OC my 4670k to 4.4, I can hit my TJMax of 100c quite quickly. What cooler do you have?

Its a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, and my CPU is a 4770k. This was my first time applying thermal paste myself, so perhaps I did it wrong. I'm going to reapply it, and see if I have any different results.

Its a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, and my CPU is a 4770k. This was my first time applying thermal paste myself, so perhaps I did it wrong. I'm going to reapply it, and see if I have any different results.

Could be bad thermal paste application, could be too much voltage, could be Haswell thermal wall. Need more details.

That could be it. I'm partial to a dot application in the center and letting the cooler do the spreading. That Phanteks is a great cooler too, you shouldn't be that high. What voltage are you at?

Hey guys, finally thinking about upgrading my 6870 from a few years ago.

I'm looking at either the R9 280x or the GTX 760 (~$300 is my budget), but the one thing I'm concerned about is that the 6870 is actually a pretty petite card compared to those other two at ~9.5in in length (in before jokes). Did anybody have trouble fitting their card onto the board/into the case (ditto)?

I'm still using a P67 motherboard from a couple of years ago and a Cooler Master mid tower case.

Jzero

Hey guys, finally thinking about upgrading my 6870 from a few years ago.

I'm looking at either the R9 280x or the GTX 760 (~$300 is my budget), but the one thing I'm concerned about is that the 6870 is actually a pretty petite card compared to those other two at ~9.5in in length (in before jokes). Did anybody have trouble fitting their card onto the board/into the case (ditto)?

I'm still using a P67 motherboard from a couple of years ago and a Cooler Master mid tower case.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=111327391&postcount=8296

Get the R9 290 from a gaffer ^

jimmypop

Banned
Awesome build!

How are you enjoying your monitor? If you've ever had a 120Hz/144Hz panel, how would you compare the illusion of motion and general motion clarity?

Thank you!

The display is nice. Tops out at 100Mhz, but it's the luck of the draw with these (some hit 120Hz and beyond). I'm holding out for the Asus ROG Swift 27" with native GSync rather than try for another panel that can do 120Hz.

Coming from a standard 60Hz display, the difference is noticeable, of course.

Which Cooler Master case do you have? You could probably look it up online and see what size cards it accepts.

If it's a HAF 912 or whatever, it can accept some pretty big cards.

This one from a few years back: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

It's actually bigger than the HAF 912 you referenced. Guess I'm good on that front.

20.80" x 8.40" x 20.10" vs. 19.50" x 9.10" x 18.90"

Was just worried cuz the 6870 looks pretty snug in there already, still like 2 inches away from the drive bay, but could be iffy.

Paypal froze my account though. :/

I could Venmo!

Red Comet

Could be bad thermal paste application, could be too much voltage, could be Haswell thermal wall. Need more details.

That could be it. I'm partial to a dot application in the center and letting the cooler do the spreading. That Phanteks is a great cooler too, you shouldn't be that high. What voltage are you at?

Okay, I've reapplied the thermal paste and I'm getting much better results now. I used adamantypants method the second go around, while the first time I applied a dot and then spread it around with a plastic bag over my finger. However, some cores are still reaching 80C after running the small fft stress test. That seems kind of hot to me, but then again it's probably about 70F in my room right now. I'm running this at stock frequency and haven't messed with the voltage. To be honest with you, I wouldn't even know what voltage reading to give you because I haven't gotten into overclocking yet.

Other than the stress test, my temps seem fine. Lower 30's when idling, and the max temp when playing Crysis 3 maxed out was 52C. Not sure if I should try to get better thermal paste and try again, or what.

scogoth

Okay, I've reapplied the thermal paste and I'm getting much better results now. I used adamantypants method the second go around, while the first time I applied a dot and then spread it around with a plastic bag over my finger. However, some cores are still reaching 80C after running the small fft stress test. That seems kind of hot to me, but then again it's probably about 70F in my room right now. I'm running this at stock frequency and haven't messed with the voltage. To be honest with you, I wouldn't even know what voltage reading to give you because I haven't gotten into overclocking yet.

Other than the stress test, my temps seem fine. Lower 30's when idling, and the max temp when playing Crysis 3 maxed out was 52C. Not sure if I should try to get better thermal paste and try again, or what.

80C still is quite hot at stock settings. Its not dangerous or anything but thats very little thermal headroom for overclocking. In future never spread the thermal paste around. Its very hard to judge the proper amount of paste when some of it comes off with your plastic bag. Even worse spreading it out before can cause air bubbles which basically insults areas of the heat spreader cause terrible heat transfer. Dot/pea method is by far the easiest and most foolproof.

For everyone else reading this GPU is different. But I think there are very small number of people changing GPU heatsinks ;)

Red Comet

80C still is quite hot at stock settings. Its not dangerous or anything but thats very little thermal headroom for overclocking. In future never spread the thermal paste around. Its very hard to judge the proper amount of paste when some of it comes off with your plastic bag. Even worse spreading it out before can cause air bubbles which basically insults areas of the heat spreader cause terrible heat transfer. Dot/pea method is by far the easiest and most foolproof.

For everyone else reading this GPU is different. But I think there are very small number of people changing GPU heatsinks ;)

Yes, I've found that out the hard way. Since reapplying it I've only noticed my temps get to 80C with the small fft test. Running the blend test for about 10 minutes, my temps never got any higher than the low 60's. And actually I'm noticing cooler temps all around than my previous cooler, aside from that small fft test (which I'm not sure if I ever ran on my previous cooler, so I can't really compare it).

I found my core voltage in bios and I think it was 1.008. I guess I'll just continue to monitor my temps and if I notice them ever running hot from normal use or gaming, I'll get some better thermal paste and try again. I'm not planning on overclocking in the near future, but if I do decide to do so I'll probably reapply thermal paste anyway just to be safe.

scogoth

Yes, I've found that out the hard way. Since reapplying it I've only noticed my temps get to 80C with the small fft test. Running the blend test for about 10 minutes, my temps never got any higher than the low 60's. And actually I'm noticing cooler temps all around than my previous cooler, aside from that small fft test (which I'm not sure if I ever ran on my previous cooler, so I can't really compare it).

I found my core voltage in bios and I think it was 1.008. I guess I'll just continue to monitor my temps and if I notice them ever running hot from normal use or gaming, I'll get some better thermal paste and try again. I'm not planning on overclocking in the near future, but if I do decide to do so I'll probably reapply thermal paste anyway just to be safe.

You can download CPU-Z to monitor voltage in windows. Voltage in the BIOS doesn't mean much because voltage will increase under load at stock settings.

Oh man what a night! All I have to say is screw Hadron, screw mITX, screw EVGA CPU cooler, and double screw the Asus Impact backplate. What a nightmare working in the Hadron case with an elevated cooler, so stupid on my part. This case is tight, tight, tight.
yTrblwS.jpg

5Xz0kFy.jpg

Next to big brother.
ej7pzYF.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
What is that block thing?

also has anyone noticed any issues with the 4TB hard drives yet?
Or should I stick with 2/3TB drives?

LtOrange

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice with my computer.

My current PC:
-Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 3.30 GHz
-MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
-GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Motherboard
-Cooler Master HAF 922
-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W PSU
-SSD

I want to be able to push max graphics with games(MMO's specifically) again and be able to stream with ease. My computer has been showing its age lately and streaming to twitch has been taxing. What parts of my build would you recommend I upgrade?

Thanks!

Garou

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice with my computer.

My current PC:
-Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 3.30 GHz
-MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
-GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Motherboard
-Cooler Master HAF 922
-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W PSU
-SSD

I want to be able to push max graphics with games(MMO's specifically) again and be able to stream with ease. My computer has been showing its age lately and streaming to twitch has been taxing. What parts of my build would you recommend I upgrade?

Thanks!

What CPU-cooler do you have? You can overclock your CPU to something around 4.4 GHz easily with a decent cooler.

Then swap your GPU to something like a R280X or GTX770.

scogoth

Oh man what a night! All I have to say is screw Hadron, screw mITX, screw EVGA CPU cooler, and double screw the Asus Impact backplate. What a nightmare working in the Hadron case with an elevated cooler, so stupid on my part. This case is tight, tight, tight.

Not easy case but it can be done!

RAM and heatsink first then a long magnetic philips screwdriver with hands of a surgeon. Then a needle nose pliers for the washers of the wifi screws on the rear panel.

Then you're (sort of) home free. Then you just need to jam you hand to plug in the mobo power and sata cables.

Looks like you got together anyways though!

Garou

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler.

Then you are good to go, raise your voltage to something around 1.3V and set your multiplier to around 44, and then let Prime95 (In-place large FFT) run for 30 Minutes and see if your temps stay under 80C. If it crashes, try adjusting the voltage and multiplier a bit.

Red Comet

You can download CPU-Z to monitor voltage in windows. Voltage in the BIOS doesn't mean much because voltage will increase under load at stock settings.

Oh, I see. I'm using HWMonitor, and it looks like the voltage is reading 1.216 while stress testing. I've went ahead and ordered some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and thermal paste remover, so I'm going to try that again and hopefully I'll be able to knock another 10 degrees Celsius off while stress testing. I've had this cpu and motherboard for over 6 months now, so I don't think they're the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom