• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. So I've tried reinstalling Windows 7 on a separate partition on my SSD (Intel DC S3700) but I get an error saying "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware". The other partition is where I have OSX installed. This set up worked perfectly on my older partitioned Crucial M4 SSD just prior. Any idea what the issue is? I've googled the issue but didn't find anything particularly relevant or useful aside from bypassing that screen straight into the finish setup screen via cmd. But after I finish setup and install some drivers, I get bsod when trying to run windows after restarting.

So I want to move my PC into a smaller (mid tower or smaller if i can) case. Currently inside a Fractal Define R3.

Which areas would I need to change to fit it into a smaller case?

ASUS P8Z68-V LX Mobo
GTX 570
i5 2500K (can i just rip this thing off and attach it to a new mobo?)
CM Hyper 212+
Xonar DG
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650w
Intel SSD 2.5"
WD HDD not sure if its 3.5 or 2.5"
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X

And can anyone recommend any nice looking small towers?

Could I somehow fit these parts in this?

250D-600x600.jpg
Check the photos in this post's link: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=101834669&highlight=imgur#post101834669

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. So I've tried reinstalling Windows 7 on a separate partition on my SSD (Intel DC S3700) but I get an error saying "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware". The other partition is where I have OSX installed. This set up worked perfectly on my older partitioned Crucial M4 SSD just prior. Any idea what the issue is? I've googled the issue but didn't find anything particularly relevant or useful aside from bypassing that screen straight into the finish setup screen via cmd. But after I finish setup and install some drivers, I get bsod when trying to run windows after restarting.
It seems like you can see and install to the other partition.

It's and MBR or GPT partition with NTFS? The Mac one should be HFS or HFS+

So what is the best IPS monitor for 200 to 250 dollars? I can get ten percent off at Walmart so I might be able to snag something good. I've read about some Asus monitors that seem nice. I'm trying to grab a panel that released in the last two years or sooner. I might game some but mainly I am very concerned about my eyes. I am a online student and I live online. I'm scheduled for an eye appointment this week and I know they will tell me what I don't want to hear.

VoxPop

It seems like you can see and install to the other partition.

It's and MBR or GPT partition with NTFS? The Mac one should be HFS or HFS+

Yup the drive settings are the same as I had before. You can edit them in Disk Utility in OSX to be used with Windows and whatnot. I also format the windows partition one more time in Windows Setup before the install starts. The install finishes and I get this error during the completing installation phase. :[

PFD

So what is the best IPS monitor for 200 to 250 dollars? I can get ten percent off at Walmart so I might be able to snag something good. I've read about some Asus monitors that seem nice. I'm trying to grab a panel that released in the last two years or sooner. I might game some but mainly I am very concerned about my eyes. I am a online student and I live online. I'm scheduled for an eye appointment this week and I know they will tell me what I don't want to hear.

I recently bought a 2560x1440 27" IPS Korean display for $279, and it's just gorgeous. See here for more info

Gumbie

I bought an Asus reference 780ti off a guy a few months ago. I just noticed something weird in gpu-z (maybe?)

780ti_zps2fe254b3.jpg

Am I wrong or are those stock clocks high?

dmr87

I bought an Asus reference 780ti off a guy a few months ago. I just noticed something weird in gpu-z (maybe?)

[IMGz]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/Gumbie84/780ti_zps2fe254b3.jpg[/IMG]

Reference 780ti should be 875mhz/928mhz boost, afaik.

maneil99

780ti_zps2fe254b3.jpg

Modded Bios possibly, not sure what the default bios for asus is but modded bios = no warranty if they find out.

Gumbie

Modded Bios possibly, not sure what the default bios for asus is but modded bios = no warranty if they find out.

I was thinking modded bios since it's the only thing that would make sense. I've had it 2 months or so with no issues and even clocked it up to 1100 and beyond with no issues in any 3dmark. If worse comes to worse and I need warranty I'll find stock bios to flash it back to.

mkenyon

Banned
Did this
Reset bio settings to default
Hard crash again

about to RMA the PSU and resort to the depths of console hell. Maybe its the board who knows FML
Did you try swapping card #1 and card #2, as well as try each card by itself?

If you already posted about it, sorry for missing it.

Hieberrr

I'm scared. I'm running W8.1 on an SSD and using a 1TB WD Blue as a storage drive. My WD storage drive is pretty inactive until I launch a game or something. When I do though, after a prolonged period of time of not using it, it revs up before things are launched.

Is this... normal?

(I think it's coming from my HDD)

jfoul

Holy dicks what a PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171094

V700 now even better in V750 form. Apparently despite the V-series being Seasonic Plat platform and sold at a loss the US is dumb and didn't buy any so NOW IT'S GONE FROM HERE. DO YOUR PART AND BUY TODAY.

I almost forgot about the new VSM line coming out. One thing that I first noticed is the power plug orientation on the VSM line. Wondering if the OEM is now SuperFlower instead of Seasonic.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i did itttttttttt

YnX2z7C.jpg

pls critique

http://bit.ly/GAFPC2014

I almost forgot about the new VSM line coming out. One thing that I first noticed is the power plug orientation on the VSM line. Wondering if the OEM is now SuperFlower instead of Seasonic.
Yeah I didn't pull up anything about the OEM this go around, but Corsair has had some SuperFlower units made too so I'm not too worried about it (Especially since the V700 isn't listed on newegg/amazon anymore).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just so I'm clear.

4690K/4790K out in like 2 weeks as 'Devil Canyon' aka Haswell refresh and hopefully better clockers / TIM gap & TIM.

Then sometime June - December is Broadwell which is Z97 compatible, right?

jfoul

Yeah I didn't pull up anything about the OEM this go around, but Corsair has had some SuperFlower units made too so I'm not too worried about it (Especially since the V700 isn't listed on newegg/amazon anymore).

I'm not worried about SuperFlower, they make amazing power supplies. Right up there with Seasonic imo.

MisterM

I'm looking to build a Super Budget Build for my friend's birthday.

I don't want to go above £100 for a CPU/GPU/mobo.

So far I think I can squeeze a Core2Quad Q6700/i3 530 + mobo + AMD 6850 for about that much off of eBay.

Does that seem solid enough or can I do better? He wants to run things like Diablo 3/Torchlight 2/CS:GO/Team Fortress 2/DOTA2/maybe Day Z on low settings.

I can scrounge together the other parts (case/psu/ram/hdd etc)

boneso

I have planned this on an extremely low budget. Total cost including shipping is £566, parts have started arriving this week! I have picked up a few bargains, especially the GPU which was only £147!

FX 8350
Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Asus DirectCUii TOP R9 280X
8gb Corsair Vengeance (low profile) 1600 CL9
1tb Western Digital blue HDD
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair CX600w PSU
Zalman Z11 Plus Case

I might add an SSD when i can afford one but i think i have done ok for such a small budget. What do you guys think. Oh, and before i get told to buy a 4670k or 4770k instead of the 8350, the price difference in the UK is huge, an extra £60 for the i5 and over £120 for the i7. Its just not worth it and i dont have it lol.

Look forward to your views.

kiyomi

Oh, and before i get told to buy a 4670k or 4770k instead of the 8350, the price difference in the UK is huge, an extra £60 for the i5 and over £120 for the i7.

Well, a non-OC Haswell i5 would've cost you the exact same as the 8350. Or you could've gotten a 3570K for just ~£15 more.

Not a fan of the PSU you chose but the 280X for £147 is an amazing steal, did someone smuggle cocaine in it?

I have planned this on an extremely low budget. Total cost including shipping is £566, parts have started arriving this week! I have picked up a few bargains, especially the GPU which was only £147!

FX 8350
Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Corsair CX600w PSU
Zalman Z11 Plus Case

I might add an SSD when i can afford one but i think i have done ok for such a small budget. What do you guys think. Oh, and before i get told to buy a 4670k or 4770k instead of the 8350, the price difference in the UK is huge, an extra £60 for the i5 and over £120 for the i7. Its just not worth it and i dont have it lol.

If he price difference is really that much, just stick with the AMD one, it'll be alright.
In my country, a low entry i5 is about the same as the FX8350, so I'd say go with the i5. But if it's alot more expensive, the AMD will do just fine, really.

kharma45

FX 8350
Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Corsair CX600w PSU
Zalman Z11 Plus Case

Could you post me links of where you're getting the stuff from? I'll have a plan around with it.

Where are you getting a £60 difference between the 8350 and 4670K? It's ~£30 on Amazon. I'd steer clear of that PSU too.

Edit - have you already bought it all then?

boneso

Could you post me links of where you're getting the stuff from? I'll have a plan around with it.

Where are you getting a £60 difference between the 8350 and 4670K? It's ~£30 on Amazon. I'd steer clear of that PSU too.

Edit - have you already bought it all then?

I bought some of it on ebay, amazon, and ebuyer.

CPU and GPU on ebay, both brand new in box. FX8350 was £106, GPU was £147. 4670k is about £160.

whats wrong with the PSU?

boneso

Well, a non-OC Haswell i5 would've cost you the exact same as the 8350. Or you could've gotten a 3570K for just ~£15 more.

Not a fan of the PSU you chose but the 280X for £147 is an amazing steal, did someone smuggle cocaine in it?

I plan on OC'ing a bit so no OC i5's didnt interest me.

whats up with the PSU? Bare in mind my strict budget (which i already went a little over).

kharma45

I bought some of it on ebay, amazon, and ebuyer.

CPU and GPU on ebay, both brand new in box. FX8350 was £106, GPU was £147. 4670k is about £160.

whats wrong with the PSU?

What were ebay prices on the 4670K? I cant imagine they were £160. Couldve went for a 3570K too for less.

There are a lot of DOA units. Its not the worst but there are better for similar money.

boneso

What were ebay prices on the 4670K? I cant imagine they were £160. Couldve went for a 3570K too for less.

There are a lot of DOA units. Its not the worst but there are better for similar money.

There weren't any i5's for auction apart from used ones, all the buy it nows were at least £160, not including shipping.

my PSU is from amazon so i can always return if its DOA.

What PSU would you have recommended for about £50?

kharma45

There weren't any i5's for auction apart from used ones, all the buy it nows were at least £160, not including shipping.

my PSU is from amazon so i can always return if its DOA.

What PSU would you have recommended for about £50?

http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-55...e=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=AW00

http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-55...e=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=AW00

Having a quick look at Core i5s, surprised that Amazon is cheaper than eBay for the 3570K against the BINs. They have it for £145.

dwells

It'll do much better than that. I had an almost identical system (720 BE instead of the 555) and it was able to handle console ports at 900p/60fps easily for the most part. My 4870 eventually fried itself about a year ago though. Those things run damn hot.

Score, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom