• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE 1991

Really interested in seeing some watch_dogs CPU benchmarbenchmarks, I'm wondering if I should flip my i5 2500K on ebay (in light of the recent news about CPUs and performance) and get a new CPU + plus a 770, or just get a 780 this week (I'll be upgrading from a 1GB 6950) and hold out on a new CPU for another year. Thoughts? I'll be gaming at 1080p.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I verified that the ram works on another board. I also tried one at a time anyways. The only thing it could be is a compatibility issue. I tested the the board with two PSU that I know work from also testing on another board. Only the CPU and RAM was installed when I tested the board.

I'm at a loss. I can only think to try RMAing the CPU.
Just because the RAM works doesn't mean that some sections of it have problems. Give memtest 86+ a run overnight.

Same goes for PSU load.
Oh wow I didn't even know that there were issues!

Asus Z97-A or Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H then I suppose? There are so many choices!
UD3H is winning right now, apparently most of the reports are old and a surprising number of 'gamer' boards are all using 2201 or 2205 KILLER NICs so it's probably fine, but I'll play it safe since there's no benefit that I've seen.
Intel i5 core 3570k (will be overclocking to at least 4.2 ghz possibly more)
16GB RAM
Radeon r9 280x
Corsair H75 Liquid Cooling
Internal BR drive
1 ssd HDD
1 5400 seagate HDD.

Thanks!
A 280X system should be around under 400W load highly OC'd.
With regular use and a mild OC on CPU/GPU you're gonna look at about 300-325W peak.
Really interested in seeing some watch_dogs CPU benchmarbenchmarks, I'm wondering if I should flip my i5 2500K on ebay (in light of the recent news about CPUs and performance) and get a new CPU + plus a 770, or just get a 780 this week (I'll be upgrading from a 1GB 6950) and hold out on a new CPU for another year. Thoughts? I'll be gaming at 1080p.
But it's a bad game

dwells

I have upgraded from 4870 about 6 months ago and let me tell you - it your intention is to play last gen games - you are set. Just like that, I have played everything with that card for years at 1080p and mostly 60fps while still maintaining better details than consoles.

Obviously you will have problems running new games, but there is no problem with running everything last gen at full HD.

Don't worry, you will become crazy like the rest of us and spend more money soon.

You will see.

crazy laugh

Cool, great!

My old gaming PC from when I was in college was bleeding edge with its Core 2 Duo E8200 and a 512MB HD 4870 and I recall it was pretty great. That was a while ago, though!

mkenyon

Banned
You recommended me 2 boards with that NIC!

SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION BOY I HOPE SO
Yeah......

There were revised drivers, and the only thing that leads me to believe that they are fixed is that the posts saying that shit is fucked have stopped.

I often forget about these things since I'm still rocking Win 7, as is everyone I know.

Aretak

Obviously this is a super dated rig, but I'm thinking it should be able to pull off Xbox 360/PS3 console ports at 720p30 with better graphics and framerate stability than the consoles, right?
It'll do much better than that. I had an almost identical system (720 BE instead of the 555) and it was able to handle console ports at 900p/60fps easily for the most part. My 4870 eventually fried itself about a year ago though. Those things run damn hot.

The Flash

Banned
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906
Just need to double check it will work with whatever motherboard you purchase.

Honestly with an Elgato you don't really even need the extra threads, but if you want to be sure the CPU keeps it's longevity it's not a bad idea.
On the same topic you'll want a H97 or Z97 board (To overclock a drop in later if you want). So it'll support the new CPUs later if you need to upgrade.

Cool. This will be my first custom PC I think I'll hold off on going all out and just get something relatively simple for starters. Obviously the advantage with PCs is that I can upgrade certain parts later as I see fit. Here's my updated "Poor College Grad" setup.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply

What should I do as far as network adapters and sound cards?

Stubo

Your motherboard will be good for a 1Gbit LAN connection, and should have you covered for audio options unless you want an optical/coaxial/amplified headphone jack (see below)

b20130523_9.jpg

The Flash

Banned
Your motherboard will be good for a 1Gbit LAN connection, and should have you covered for audio options unless you want an optical/coaxial/amplified headphone jack (see below)

b20130523_9.jpg

This is why I came to this thread. Thanks dude. That drastically reduces the price of the build I made on pcpartpicker.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cool. This will be my first custom PC I think I'll hold off on going all out and just get something relatively simple for starters. Obviously the advantage with PCs is that I can upgrade certain parts later as I see fit. Here's my updated "Poor College Grad" setup.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply

What should I do as far as network adapters and sound cards?
Network and sound are on mobo, no need for extra.

This case is nicer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163223

I'd highly suggest getting a Z97 board, even if it's this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157508
So you can drop in an unlocked newer CPU later

Smokey

So I checked the cables of my PSU and made sure everything was snug. I switched PCI-E slots on the PSU as well. Put the second card back in the machine and tried to run Heaven. Crashed again, but this time the screen was black. I was actually able to reset my PC. Both cards are at stock clocks btw.

Then I tried Valley and it crashed. This time it was the usual hard crash and now I'm sitting here doing the usual routine of waiting 30-45 minutes before trying again.

Shit sucks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I checked the cables of my PSU and made sure everything was snug. I switched PCI-E slots on the PSU as well. Put the second card back in the machine and tried to run Heaven. Crashed again, but this time the screen was black. I was actually able to reset my PC. Both cards are at stock clocks btw.

Then I tried Valley and it crashed. This time it was the usual hard crash and now I'm sitting here doing the usual routine of waiting 30-45 minutes before trying again.

Shit sucks.
By check did you unplug and replug all data/power connectors? Visually inspecting isn't enough.

ombz

Just because the RAM works doesn't mean that some sections of it have problems. Give memtest 86+ a run overnight.

Same goes for PSU load.

Interesting. Wouldn't you think that the bios would still come up if the components worked for a different board? I guess results can verify. I will try testing them if I have a chance.

Thank you for your help!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Interesting. Wouldn't you think that the bios would still come up if the components worked for a different board? I guess results can verify. I will try testing them if I have a chance.

Thank you for your help!
What were the LED error codes you are/were getting now?
If I understand correctly your current board is not even POSTing now even though previous boards worked with the PSUs?

The old shutoff issue sounds like it could be power. What are the make and model of the PSUs you are testing with?

I've had a case where a PSU would kill mobos in the shop.

VoxPop

So I want to move my PC into a smaller (mid tower or smaller if i can) case. Currently inside a Fractal Define R3.

Which areas would I need to change to fit it into a smaller case?

ASUS P8Z68-V LX Mobo
GTX 570
i5 2500K (can i just rip this thing off and attach it to a new mobo?)
CM Hyper 212+
Xonar DG
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650w
Intel SSD 2.5"
WD HDD not sure if its 3.5 or 2.5"
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X

And can anyone recommend any nice looking small towers?

Could I somehow fit these parts in this?

250D-600x600.jpg

- All I have is a Macbook so putting current specs wouldn't help anyone lol.

- My price range is between $1200-1500. US

- 5. I plan on doing many things including streaming in HD.

- I'll be playing my games in 1080p. I plan on getting a second monitor, but for now I'll be using a 32inch LED TV. My Asus VGAH is currently used for my next gen consoles.

- I'd like to aim to play games at 60fps for the ones that support it and must have OBS run smoothly while streaming to avoid frame drops.

- I don't think I'll be reusing any parts since I don't own any.

- I'm aiming to build in between 1-3 months.

- I won't be overclocking.

(Does this help me in my quest to get the build I need?)

- All I have is a Macbook so putting current specs wouldn't help anyone lol.

- My price range is between $1200-1500. US

- 5. I plan on doing many things including streaming in HD.

- I'll be playing my games in 1080p. I plan on getting a second monitor, but for now I'll be using a 32inch LED TV. My Asus VGAH is currently used for my next gen consoles.

- I'd like to aim to play games at 60fps for the ones that support it and must have OBS run smoothly while streaming to avoid frame drops.

- I don't think I'll be reusing any parts since I don't own any.

- I'm aiming to build in between 1-3 months.

- I won't be overclocking.

(Does this help me in my quest to get the build I need?)

For $1200-1500 1080/60 shouldn't be a problem :)

ombz

What were the LED error codes you are/were getting now?
If I understand correctly your current board is not even POSTing now even though previous boards worked with the PSUs?

The old shutoff issue sounds like it could be power. What are the make and model of the PSUs you are testing with?

I've had a case where a PSU would kill mobos in the shop.

I have trying both a seasonic g series 550W and a antec earthwatts 650W. Both result in the cpu fan spinning for a second.
The asus mini itx board has LEDs for boot, cpu, dram, and sbpwr. Only the sbpwr lights up. I thought maybe it was an error light but it is a green light so I'm thinking it just indicates the power is on.

GAF - is it worth it to purchase my own Modem/Router rather than use my ISP's equipment? I'll be moving in a few weeks, and getting Verizon FIOs.

What are some good ones? Around $80-100?

iavi

Even if all of us I5 users survive Watch-Dogs and the upcoming wave of cross-gen ports, advising 'themorethreadsthebetter' from here on out is probably best. I've actually been saying this since Crysis 3 because of how much better it/CryEngine3 took to more threads.

maneil99

Even if all of us I5 users survive Watch-Dogs and the upcoming wave of cross-gen ports, advising 'themorethreadsthebetter' from here on out is probably best. I've actually been saying this since Crysis 3 because of how much better it/CryEngine3 took to more threads.

That would imply buying an AMD FX is better then buying an i5.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GAF - is it worth it to purchase my own Modem/Router rather than use my ISP's equipment? I'll be moving in a few weeks, and getting Verizon FIOs.

100% It pays for itself. For modem look on their website or call them.
Routers: I use ASUS RT-N16's with Tomato
Too bad Intel doesn't have a K model inbetween. gggggg
Just did

Going to try again...
Both ends. And data.

Ugh, finally got around to overclocking my i5 750 and Prime95 revealed two immediate fails (test 1) in two of the four cores. Got the speed up to 3400, but two cores were down. I assume it's an issue with RAM?

You'll absolutely need to use Verizon's for their moca which provides info to the cable box. Really no way around it. They are fine modems. 50-60MBPS all over my house down and 35 up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom