• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been rocking a 600W Corsair PSU for a while with no problems, but some new upgrades have made me concerned. Should I upgrade? Don't want to risk frying anything.

Intel i5 core 3570k (will be overclocking to at least 4.2 ghz)
16GB RAM
Radeon r9 280x
Corsair H75 Liquid Cooling
Internal BR drive
1 ssd HDD
1 5400 seagate HDD.

Alasfree

Is there some disadvantage connecting to an IPS display using DVI-D? I just bought one and reading about the various type of i learned that DVI is limited to RGB color space while HDMI can use more ranges (i dont know anything about this thing really). I know that IPS panel have really great color reproduction i would be a bummer non getting the full use out of the display.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there some disadvantage connecting to an IPS display using DVI-D? I just bought one and reading about the various type of i learned that DVI is limited to RGB color space while HDMI can use more ranges (i dont know anything about this thing really). I know that IPS panel have really great color reproduction i would be a bummer non getting the full use out of the display.
Resolution? HDMI can't support 1440p at 60hz, so there's that to consider :p

Alasfree

Resolution? HDMI can't support 1440p at 60hz, so there's that to consider :p
It's a VS239H-P, so 1080p. I forgot to mention that i can obviously use the HDMI port but i would rather not and instead have DVI for the PC and the HDMI for a console. Not having the best image on the PC would just really annoy me.

The Llama

Just fired up my desktop for the first time in a while and for some reason the drivers think my 3870x2 is a 6800 series... Uh, anyone know why that would happen? Games seem to run fine (or at least as well as I remember they did), so its not a big deal (I'm planning on building a new computer in a few months anyway, since a 3870x2 is just a bit outdated!), just wondering why/how that could happen.

ShOcKwAvE

I've been researching cheap HSF options for a friend's new rig. He's never overclocked and might not even try, but if he does I don't want him using the Intel one.

I've known about the 212 Evo for a while, but it's a bit old and I was curious about newer options. Frankly, there's still not much out there that compares on a price/performance level.

1) Scythe Mugen 4 (hard to find)
2) Enermax T40 (comparable but a bit more expensive)
3) The most appealing alternative I've come across is the Thermalright Spirit 140 Power, a revision of the original. It's a bit tall but it's quiet and has great performance. It's supposed to retail for $40 I think, but I can't find it for less than $45. Even still, I still don't think it beats the 212 Evo on Pr/Per.

Thoughts?

openrob

Hey gaf - at the moment I currently have an i5 3550 build with a Sapphire HD 7850 2GB.

My question is how long will this last me before I have to upgrade.
Don't mind not maxxing out every game, but just being able to play new releases at better than console performance.

Thanks

EDIT: To rephrase, if you had this setup, when would you decide to upgrade?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey gaf - at the moment I currently have an i5 3550 build with a Sapphire HD 7850 2GB.

My question is how long will this last me before I have to upgrade.
Don't mind not maxxing out every game, but just being able to play new releases at better than console performance.

Thanks
The answer to your question is pretty unanswerable, so I can only say:

It will not last you when it no longer provides performance that is acceptable to you. That will be sometime in the future.

dwells

So, I think I'm going to proceed forward with my super-duper-ultra budget build even though it doesn't make sense. So far I've got the following parts:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (should be unlockable to quad core) - $10
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - $10
Power supply: Antec Earthwatts 500W (Seasonic OEM) - $10
Video card: ASUS 1GB Radeon HD 4870 - Free

So I'm only in for $30 so far and I feel like I might as well just build the thing and sell it on Craigslist if it comes down to it. Here's what I've got planned for the rest of it:

RAM: Kingston HyperX Red 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 - $30
Case: Cougar Solution steel ATX mid-tower - $20
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $30
HDD: Whatever I can scrounge up (probably a several year old ~500GB 7200RPM 3.5" or a 5400RPM 2.5") - Free
Optical: Lite-On DVD burner lying around somewhere - Free

Obviously this is a super dated rig, but I'm thinking it should be able to pull off Xbox 360/PS3 console ports at 720p30 with better graphics and framerate stability than the consoles, right? Is it worth tossing down the $80 on top of the $30 I'm already in for?

Oh, and say I were to eventually spend another $100 or so and toss an R7 260X in there - would I be able to get PS4/Xbone comparable performance like the Digital Foundry review, or would the CPU and 4GB of RAM be too much of a bottleneck?

Thanks!

So, I think I'm going to proceed forward with my super-duper-ultra budget build even though it doesn't make sense. So far I've got the following parts:

So I'm only in for $30 so far and I feel like I might as well just build the thing and sell it on Craigslist if it comes down to it. Here's what I've got planned for the rest of it:

HDD: Whatever I can scrounge up (probably a several year old ~500GB 7200RPM 3.5" or a 5400RPM 2.5") - Free

Obviously this is a super dated rig, but I'm thinking it should be able to pull off Xbox 360/PS3 console ports at 720p30 with better graphics and framerate stability than the consoles, right? Is it worth tossing down the $80 on top of the $30 I'm already in for?

Oh, and say I were to eventually spend another $100 or so and toss an R7 260X in there - would I be able to get PS4/Xbone comparable performance like the Digital Foundry review, or would the CPU and 4GB of RAM be too much of a bottleneck?

Thanks!

The only problem I see is you're putting a $30 fan on a $10 CPU

dwells

May as well get a good fan that would carry over to any other build.

This, and it seemed like the only decent option in the price range. The Hyper T4 for half the price seems okay, but given that I want to have some fun and practice overclocking and unlock those other four cores, I figured I might as well go for the Hyper 212. Plus, all I've heard is that it's apparently the best bang for the buck to ever happen in cooling.

Oh, and the ten dollar parts were all being sold together by somebody at work for $30. I figured I had to buy it at the time, even though I had no idea what I'd use for or if I'd ever use it. The 500W Seasonic PSU was worth the $30 alone.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'll be editing and streaming gameplay with an Elgato. Mostly for console games but I imagine I'll want to recorded/stream/edit GTAV whenever it comes out on PC. Definitely with Skyrim. Basically I would like to be able to capture and stream gameplay at the same time and also edit HD videos without my PC having a heart attack each time. So with that in mind, do I need a beefy processor or video card or whatever?

CPU: Intel i5 4430 4C/4T
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
RAM: 1.35V / 1.5V 2x4GB (8GB)
Graphics: GTX 660 2GB
SSD: Sandisk SSD 64GB
Storage 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX
Power: Antec VP450
Case: NZXT Source 210
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906
Just need to double check it will work with whatever motherboard you purchase.

Honestly with an Elgato you don't really even need the extra threads, but if you want to be sure the CPU keeps it's longevity it's not a bad idea.
On the same topic you'll want a H97 or Z97 board (To overclock a drop in later if you want). So it'll support the new CPUs later if you need to upgrade.

If I run a PSU calculator, is that a definitive guarantee that I won't need additional power? I'm running a 600 watt PSU, but with some new upgrades I'm a little worried about it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If I run a PSU calculator, is that a definitive guarantee that I won't need additional power? I'm running a 600 watt PSU, but with some new upgrades I'm a little worried about it.
Just post it here and I'll do it.
Power draw is very low today for mid-high end.

theytookourjobz

Ordered all my parts today. Half from Tigerdirect and half from Newegg.

Cougar Solution Black Steel ATX Case - $39.99 (-$20 MIR)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s - $49.99
Kingston SH103S3/120G HyperX 120GB Solid State Drive - 120GB - $69.99
Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Des - $219.99
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6 - $167.99 (-$20 MIR)
CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Rea - $89.99 (-$20 MIR)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - $79.99
ASUS DVD-Writer 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24 - OEM - $19.99

Thinking about getting a 680 from Craigslist for $200.

Everything but the GPU with discounts cost me $709 shipped with $60 in mail in rebates coming my way.

Did I do okay PC GAF?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm updating the OP right now goddam
everyone go buy Z97
i dont know whats good yet youre on your own
asrock still isnt shit and its cheap lets go with that and ignore the asrock lied about the old pro4 cpu voltage

Stubo

I'm updating the OP right now goddam
everyone go buy Z97
i dont know whats good yet youre on your own
asrock still isnt shit and its cheap lets go with that and ignore the asrock lied about the old pro4 cpu voltage
I thought the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 looked good for the price (for a friend's build).

TTL put his review up and seems to suggest that the price is its biggest strength. Other than that, there wasn't much to shout about.

I can't say that I've followed his reviews to know if his highly rated boards normally start closer to £160 or something?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I thought the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 looked good for the price (for a friend's build).

TTL put his review up and seems to suggest that the price is it's biggest strength. Other than that, there wasn't much to shout about.

I can't say that I've followed his reviews to know if his highly rated boards normally start closer to £160 or something?
Until I see something concrete about fixed issues of Killer NIC on Win 8/8.1 I'm going to try to pass on boards that have it.

It's looking like Wolfenstein is tangibly benefiting from hyperthreading from some of the anecdotal evidence so far. I think more and more it's becoming much easier to recommend an i7 for gaming and I fully expect Watch Dogs to be the crowning example of this. So if you've got the budget for it, the extra cash is beginning to look worth it if you want longevity.

Yes I'm one of the believers in this

Edit: sorry about double post :(

stef t97

This might not be the right place for my problem but it's worth a try. Over the past couple of months I have been having weird issues with my GTX 660. My issue is that when I play any kind of graphically demanding game, my drivers crash and i get the windows message saying they have recovered. Now even though I mentioned it only happens with graphically intensive games, it occurs at random. From what I can see it happens even when my gpu is at around 50% usage, when i have more than 500mb of VRAM free and my temperatures are in their 40s (Celsius).

So basically even when my card is having no difficulties I'm getting stupid crashes at random. My card warranty just ran out as well so if it's a defect then I'm fucked. I have tried just about ever fix I have seen on the internet and nothing seems to have helped.I have never overclocked my card but I was once intending to some I flashed the modified bios with the slightly higher voltages. However my PC seemed fine for a couple of month after I did that so I don't think that is the issue.

If anyone could offer any suggestions or fixes that would be amazing. I've not been able to play most of my games because of these crashes every few minutes.

This might not be the right place for my problem but it's worth a try. Over the past couple of months I have been having weird issues with my GTX 660. My issue is that when I play any kind of graphically demanding game, my drivers crash and i get the windows message saying they have recovered. Now even though I mentioned it only happens with graphically intensive games, it occurs at random. From what I can see it happens even when my gpu is at around 50% usage, when i have more than 500mb of VRAM free and my temperatures are in their 40s (Celsius).

So basically even when my card is having no difficulties I'm getting stupid crashes at random. My card warranty just ran out as well so if it's a defect then I'm fucked. I have tried just about ever fix I have seen on the internet and nothing seems to have helped.I have never overclocked my card but I was once intending to some I flashed the modified bios with the slightly higher voltages. However my PC seemed fine for a couple of month after I did that so I don't think that is the issue.

If anyone could offer any suggestions or fixes that would be amazing. I've not been able to play most of my games because of these crashes every few minutes.

What card is it exactly and is it still on the flashed bios?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Why would you flash your BIOS and not just overclock? You can try downclocking and see if it is stable.
Call whoever the vendor is and just ask if you can do an RMA.
Sadly I can't find any DAS boards where I lieve, and shipping from US is way too expensive.

Already checked it out few months ago, but thanks anyways!
Look for Ducky or Filco from some sites that ship to you instead then.

stef t97

Why would you flash your BIOS and not just overclock

Because most places i went to advised in doing so to get a bit more out of the card. I was intending on overclocking it and then just never felt the need to after that point.

What card is it exactly and is it still on the flashed bios?

It's just a EVGA GTX 660 SC and yes it's still on the flashed bios. Only thing I have left to try really is to roll back to the original bios first but if that doesn't help I'll have to try and RMA it.

ombz

So recently my motherboard shutdown and would not power on again. I RMAd the board and got it repaired. The repaired board worked for awhile but the pc would randomly shutoff. Finally it shut down and would not power on again. I got a new motherboard today after giving up on the old one but the new board is not working either. When I power the board on the cpu fan spins for a second then shuts off. Could the new board be defective? Or could it be a cpu or ram problem now?(keeping in mind I've had the cpu and ram working fine well before the first problem board)
UPDATE: I received a new asus motherboard with led indicators. I have the same problem noted in the quotes. The led for sbpwr is lit solid with none of the other LEDs lit

Replacement board yields same result. Must be CPU issue? I verified that the RAM is ok.
I'm out of any other ideas unless someone can help.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Replacement board yields same result. Must be CPU issue? I verified that the RAM is ok.
I'm out of any other ideas unless someone can help.
Run 1 stick of RAM and everything unnecessary unplugged (Any old drives or USB charging cable?). Outside of case if possible.
Another PSU would be the easiest thing to test unless you have a spare CPU lying around.
Just got my 144hz monitor, my eyes are bleeding jizz.Any good FPS cappers, EVGA limits it to 120 and I don't like vsync
Think nVidia has it built in? I just leave mine uncapped so I don't know.

Thanks!

I have upgraded from 4870 about 6 months ago and let me tell you - it your intention is to play last gen games - you are set. Just like that, I have played everything with that card for years at 1080p and mostly 60fps while still maintaining better details than consoles.

Obviously you will have problems running new games, but there is no problem with running everything last gen at full HD.

Don't worry, you will become crazy like the rest of us and spend more money soon.

You will see.

crazy laugh

ombz

Run 1 stick of RAM and everything unnecessary unplugged (Any old drives or USB charging cable?). Outside of case if possible.
Another PSU would be the easiest thing to test unless you have a spare CPU lying around.

Think nVidia has it built in? I just leave mine uncapped so I don't know.

I verified that the ram works on another board. I also tried one at a time anyways. The only thing it could be is a compatibility issue. I tested the the board with two PSU that I know work from also testing on another board. Only the CPU and RAM was installed when I tested the board.

I'm at a loss. I can only think to try RMAing the CPU.

Stubo

Until I see something concrete about fixed issues of Killer NIC on Win 8/8.1 I'm going to try to pass on boards that have it.
Oh wow I didn't even know that there were issues!

Asus Z97-A or Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H then I suppose? There are so many choices!

Just post it here and I'll do it.
Power draw is very low today for mid-high end.

Intel i5 core 3570k (will be overclocking to at least 4.2 ghz possibly more)
16GB RAM
Radeon r9 280x
Corsair H75 Liquid Cooling
Internal BR drive
1 ssd HDD
1 5400 seagate HDD.

Thanks!

riflen

Just got my 144hz monitor, my eyes are bleeding jizz.Any good FPS cappers, EVGA limits it to 120 and I don't like vsync

Well standard v-sync is not nearly as nasty with 120/144Hz. As for frame rate limiters, there's nvidia inspector or riva tuner statistics server (installed with EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner).
You may also have some luck using triple buffering through Direct3D Overrider.

Would appreciate opinions...

Currently have 3 ASUS 23" LCDs set up in 5760x1080 nVidia Surround at 120Hz with SLI GTX 780s.

Am I better off sticking with this setup or moving to a single monitor 2560x1440 display? Or something different? Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom