• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

riflen

I've been looking at parts for a few weeks and I think I'm about ready to order. This is going to be my first new PC since 2008, so I'm really excited.

Budget: $1,000 to $1,500, although truthfully I don't really care how much I spend as long as I can get something that will last me for a long time.

Main Use: Gaming. I have a Macbook Pro for all the regular PC usage type stuff. I want to be able to play new games at top settings for a long time. Also, I'd like to be able to stream a little bit, but it doesn't have to be HD or perfect quality or anything like that. Mainly just for my friends to watch.

Monitor Resolution: I have an old Dell 24" that tops out at 1920x1080. I will 100% be upgrading this later in the year once I get this new PC up and running, but the Dell is what I have to work with for now.

When will you build?: No deadline, but sooner is better. If there is new hardware coming out soon (like the new CPUs I've seen mentioned), it's no problem to wait a bit.

Will you be overclocking?: 100% no. I want a PC I can slap together and have running well with a minimum of effort.

Having said all that, here are the specs I've picked out so far. I haven't used any other resources besides this thread to come up with a list. I'm looking at a 4770k, a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H mobo, 16 GB ram (open to suggestions on brand), a GTX 780 (no idea which specific card), a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD and a Western Digital Blue 2 TB storage drive, CoolerMaster 750W power supply, and no idea on case.

Also, I'm looking for a motherboard that can do SLI. I will only get 1 GTX 780 to start, but I'll add another later in the year, probably when I get a new monitor.

So, any obvious problems with what I picked out? It's been years since I paid attention to PC hardware, so I really have no clue what has been going on. But I'm definitely ready to have a nice gaming PC again. Thanks.

Right, well if you're "100%" never going to over-clock, then a "K" CPU and Z97 are a waste of money. The K designates that it's unlocked and it's priced above the standard 4770. The Z97 will also cost you more than the H97, which doesn't allow over-clocking.

The new Haswell CPUs are available now (4790 is the replacement for 4770) and should be priced almost identically.

appaws

Banned
I nominate the R7 265 for the OP...

....either in addition to, or instead of the 750ti....

It just performs better for the same price. Unless someone is seriously power constrained or does not have an available 6-pin because they are sticking it in some weird OEM box, there is no reason to go with the 750ti.

Josman

It's so annoying having to buy a different motherboard for new CPUs, I just bought a Z87 and reading that broadwell won't be compatible is such a bummer. Why does Intel does this so often? I don't hear the same for AMD

mkenyon

Banned
I'm waiting for Devil Canyon to drop to buy my mobo and CPU combo. My Fractal R4 is coming in a couple of days and that leaves the cooling solution as one of the things I have to make a decision. I'm going to overclock and I want my system to be really quiet. I was thinking about the new Noctua Nhd-15, but lately I'm beginning to consider the AIO route (mainly because of your posts about how cluttered high performance air solutions end up being). What would you recommend me? My budget for the part would be around 100€.
To expand on what Hazaro said, a lot of it comes down to how Devil's Canyon performs when overclocked. As it is right now, there's basically no difference in OC headroom between a $25 Hyper 212 and a $110 Corsair H110, due to the heatwall.

If Devil's canyon ends up behaving similar to Sandy Bridge, a more expensive heatsink will again mean that you get to overclock your chip more. It also depends on how much of a tinkerer you are. Likely, something like the Seidon 120 or Corsair H60 will provide plenty of cooling for a standard OC. I can't bank on that statement though.
What's recommended for stability testing these days? I used to go by doing a 36 hour Prime95 run, but that was like seven years ago, so I imagine things have changed in the better part of a decade. Hoping the Hyper 212 Evo will be able to get my Phenom II X2 555 BE to 4.0 GHz on four unlocked cores.
Nothing has changed. Prime 95 Small FFT is still king in my book.
I've been looking at parts for a few weeks and I think I'm about ready to order. This is going to be my first new PC since 2008, so I'm really excited.

Budget: $1,000 to $1,500, although truthfully I don't really care how much I spend as long as I can get something that will last me for a long time.

Main Use: Gaming. I have a Macbook Pro for all the regular PC usage type stuff. I want to be able to play new games at top settings for a long time. Also, I'd like to be able to stream a little bit, but it doesn't have to be HD or perfect quality or anything like that. Mainly just for my friends to watch.

Monitor Resolution: I have an old Dell 24" that tops out at 1920x1080. I will 100% be upgrading this later in the year once I get this new PC up and running, but the Dell is what I have to work with for now.

When will you build?: No deadline, but sooner is better. If there is new hardware coming out soon (like the new CPUs I've seen mentioned), it's no problem to wait a bit.

Will you be overclocking?: 100% no. I want a PC I can slap together and have running well with a minimum of effort.

Having said all that, here are the specs I've picked out so far. I haven't used any other resources besides this thread to come up with a list. I'm looking at a 4770k, a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H mobo, 16 GB ram (open to suggestions on brand), a GTX 780 (no idea which specific card), a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD and a Western Digital Blue 2 TB storage drive, CoolerMaster 750W power supply, and no idea on case.

Also, I'm looking for a motherboard that can do SLI. I will only get 1 GTX 780 to start, but I'll add another later in the year, probably when I get a new monitor.

So, any obvious problems with what I picked out? It's been years since I paid attention to PC hardware, so I really have no clue what has been going on. But I'm definitely ready to have a nice gaming PC again. Thanks.
Here's what an evening of your time, zero risk to your computer, and a $25 heatsink get you:

(courtesy of Sword of Doom)

nobGKHa.png

Overclocking isn't the scary thing it used to be.

Never ever plan for future SLI. Going SLI is something that you do immediately to get performance that is otherwise impossible to achieve with a single card. Get a 780 now, but when you're ready to ugprade, sell it, and buy the GTX 880 or 980. Single card is, always has been, and likely always will be king.

It just performs better for the same price. Unless someone is seriously power constrained or does not have an available 6-pin because they are sticking it in some weird OEM box, there is no reason to go with the 750ti.
Dat shadowplay....

I'd really love to expand upon our budget systems with things like parts chosen specifically for folks looking to get into eSport titles, or systems for someone who wants to max out (insert new RPG/Action graphic title) at 1440p. The 750 Ti, when paired with one of the K processors is honestly enough to give 120Hz performance in a huge number of competitive games. Being able to stream on top of that is huge added value.

Dunbar

Never ever plan for future SLI. Going SLI is something that you do immediately to get performance that is otherwise impossible to achieve with a single card. Get a 780 now, but when you're ready to ugprade, sell it, and buy the GTX 880 or 980. Single card is, always has been, and likely always will be king.
Well that is really interesting. I thought if I bought one GTX 780 now, I could pick up another one a little cheaper 4-6 months down the road and double performance. There's really no point to that? I guess I don't understand the point of SLI then.

So a coworker has offered to make a PC for me, so long as I'm willing to put in for the parts. After telling him I would mostly use it for gaming, this is the list he came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M3q5

While it's on the pricey side, it's also including speakers and a monitor (I'll still need to get a mouse/keyboard). My hope is that it can last like this for a couple years before I need to upgrade again, and that it'll be powerful enough to play games like, say, Witcher 3.

What would be the long-term viability of this build?

Now that the OP is complete:

- All I have is a Macbook so putting current specs wouldn't help anyone lol.

- My price range is between $1200-1500. US

- 5. I plan on doing many things including streaming in HD.

- I'll be playing my games in 1080p. I plan on getting a second monitor, but for now I'll be using a 32inch LED TV. My Asus VGAH is currently used for my next gen consoles.

- I'd like to aim to play games at 60fps for the ones that support it and must have OBS run smoothly while streaming to avoid frame drops.

- I don't think I'll be reusing any parts since I don't own any.

- I'm aiming to build in between 1-3 months.

- I won't be overclocking.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

PM stuff like this or it will get lost.

The 265 should be in the build sheet, I will add it.

On mobile, but you can always OC 1-3 years down the line or after setup. Free 25% performance is a whole 1-2 generations of power for free when you want it.
What's recommended for stability testing these days? I used to go by doing a 36 hour Prime95 run, but that was like seven years ago, so I imagine things have changed in the better part of a decade. Hoping the Hyper 212 Evo will be able to get my Phenom II X2 555 BE to 4.0 GHz on four unlocked cores.
I use P95 or OCCT for 15 minutes until error, back off .1Ghz then overnight.
BP550 is a solid unit but I wouldn't pay more for it over the Rosewill, even if it is only $5. That extra $5 actually gets you a better unit than either of those. NCIX has the Antec HCG 620w modular for $65.

Hazaro, out of interest, why would you take the BP550 over the Hive?
All the past times and even yesterday I looked at the HIVE and Capstone series and felt the it had a bit too many reports across models of DoA or failure. The rates are basically the same now so even though I've installed a fair amount if BP550 with no failure, but maybe its time to sub in the HIVE. I even have a 750w unopened at home.

The build or efficiency difference between those particular two units isn't as much a concern to me as issues that may popup which is why I haven't subbed it in yet and I think it was teetering $70?

The HCG I actively avoided due to DOA.

mkenyon

Banned
So a coworker has offered to make a PC for me, so long as I'm willing to put in for the parts. After telling him I would mostly use it for gaming, this is the list he came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M3q5

While it's on the pricey side, it's also including speakers and a monitor (I'll still need to get a mouse/keyboard). My hope is that it can last like this for a couple years before I need to upgrade again, and that it'll be powerful enough to play games like, say, Witcher 3.

What would be the long-term viability of this build?
It's actually not a great one. Here's something that will perform better in games:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.29 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($432.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7W 2.1ch Speakers ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1352.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-21 18:24 EDT-0400)

However, the 4690K is due out within a few weeks, and you will probably want to hold out for that. It's called "Devil's Canyon" and all signs point to some really great performance.
Well that is really interesting. I thought if I bought one GTX 780 now, I could pick up another one a little cheaper 4-6 months down the road and double performance. There's really no point to that? I guess I don't understand the point of SLI then.
When it is working properly, when there are profiles for X game, and when those profiles are working properly, you can usually get 70-90% increased performance with SLI. But, profiles are often missing, you often have to tweak released profiles, and performance can be inconsistent. Just sell and buy the best new single GPU you can afford.
Now that the OP is complete:

- All I have is a Macbook so putting current specs wouldn't help anyone lol.

- My price range is between $1200-1500. US

- 5. I plan on doing many things including streaming in HD.

- I'll be playing my games in 1080p. I plan on getting a second monitor, but for now I'll be using a 32inch LED TV. My Asus VGAH is currently used for my next gen consoles.

- I'd like to aim to play games at 60fps for the ones that support it and must have OBS run smoothly while streaming to avoid frame drops.

- I don't think I'll be reusing any parts since I don't own any.

- I'm aiming to build in between 1-3 months.

- I won't be overclocking.
Honestly that build I posted above is pretty right on for what you're looking for. I might suggest swapping in a 770 or a 760 so you can use Shadowplay for streaming though. And you *will* be overclocking. It's so easy. Look at that 3DMark picture I posted above.

It's actually not a great one. Here's something that will perform better in games:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)

When it is working properly, when there are profiles for X game, and when those profiles are working properly, you can usually get 70-90% increased performance with SLI. But, profiles are often missing, you often have to tweak released profiles, and performance can be inconsistent. Just sell and buy the best new single GPU you can afford.

Honestly that build I posted above is pretty right on for what you're looking for. I might suggest swapping in a 770 or a 760 so you can use Shadowplay for streaming though. And you *will* be overclocking. It's so easy. Look at that 3DMark picture I posted above.

Ok thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys I'm getting ready to build my first PC!

My friend helped me out with this build and I just want some opinions on what you guys think.

I'll be using this PC to stream, emulate, and play some newer stuff that's not available on Nintendo consoles!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/evanellis617/saved/4L8h
You'll need a capture card, but I also suggest swapping to a 750 Ti so you can use Shadowplay. It uses an on-board H.264 encoding chip to do all of the grunt work. It's the same magic behind Shield basically.

To give you an idea of the quality, this was captured with Shadowplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfiS9KYgpU

If you can up the budget a bit, I'd really suggest looking at something like a Z97 board with one of the Haswell refresh chips or Devil's Canyon, such as the 4690K which will be out in a few months.

There's a number of really neat technologies like SATA Express and M.2 SATA slots that should pan out to be great storage interfaces.
Fuck that is an amazing build for $1400.
I know right? I had to recheck the price a couple times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Too good.

LilJoka

Haswell refresh is that way. You can use a z87 but if you want to OC you need a z97

Where was this confirmed??

So basically the Haswell Refresh chips work on Z87 and Z97, but Devils Canyon (the 2 K chips) only work on Z97. Well Intel are grabbing money by the sound of it ahaha. Sounds like all the enthusiasts who wanted Intel to make some decent OCing chips since SB are just having to spend more money on boards.

mkenyon

Banned
The more likely you are to play older and/or more niche games, the more I'd suggest sticking with Windows 7.
Yep. I still use Win 7, as does everyone I know. There's a lot of people who anecdotally say Win 8 is just fine, they love it, etc, but Win 7 is already the best.
Where was this confirmed??

So basically the Haswell Refresh chips work on Z87 and Z97, but Devils Canyon (the 2 K chips) only work on Z97. Well Intel are grabbing money by the sound of it ahaha. Sounds like all the enthusiasts who wanted Intel to make some decent OCing chips since SB are just having to spend more money on boards.
Saywhat... I'm almost positive Haswell Refresh does not work on any Z87 boards.

LilJoka

Yep. I still use Win 7, as does everyone I know. There's a lot of people who anecdotally say Win 8 is just fine, they love it, etc, but Win 7 is already the best.

Yeh im sure

EVGA are nonetheless stating that their own Z87 motherboards will be compatible with the new CPUs following a UEFI BIOS update, available direct from their support microsite.

Devils Canyon, though its just unlocked Haswell Refresh, is atm unconfirmed afaik, but strongly seems like Z97 only. But the standard Haswell Refresh chips will work on Z87 with a BIOS update. Intel are doing a money grab for sure.

maneil99

Shenanigans.

Would you rather troubleshoot and work in this:

Or this:

Both Define R4 cases.

Ouch, bro.

That Noctua is cheaper and better, thats what I am basing it on, AIO coolers. Aside from space there is no reason performance wise to go AIO over Air esp for sub 60$ like the response I was giving

maneil99

Would you guys recommend Windows 7 or 8 for gaming and streaming? I hear a lot of 7 64 bit.

Windows 8. 99% of games will work and games like BF4 and likely future titles will gain major performance from DirectX 11.2/ 12. Windows 7 is fine but if you are buying a new computer theres really no reason not to get 8.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys I'm getting ready to build my first PC!

My friend helped me out with this build and I just want some opinions on what you guys think.

I'll be using this PC to stream, emulate, and play some newer stuff that's not available on Nintendo consoles!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/evanellis617/saved/4L8h
Two generations old mobo :p
See the OP (Do we really need to change the title back?)

And wait 2-3 weeks for the new Intel chips.

Hey if any Gaffers are interested, I posted this in the B/S/T thread:

Hey GAF, hate to do this but it's time I sell my Gaming PC. I haven't played a PC game for a few months and now with studying for the LSATs, finding a new job and planning a trip with the gf, I'm afraid time and money aren't there anymore.

So I'm selling my PC (no GPU unfortunately).

WTS:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3OuCP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3OuCP/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3OuCP/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.97 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.30 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($139.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14 FLX 65.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($15.22 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14 FLX 65.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($15.22 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1081.63

Asking for $900 shipped, $800 pickup (I live in NJ) Willing to listen to offers. PM me if interested.

molnizzle

Does that mean that H81 boards are incompatible with Haswell Refresh? Fuck Intel if so.

That reminds me, does anyone know of a solid air cooler that's not the size of an Xbox One? My ITX mobo doesn't leave much room for the CPU cooler to clear the GPU. I know that the Hyper 212 Evo is too big. I'd like something in that price range but smaller... and preferably not too loud.

CPU will probably be a 4570 (no OC) since apparently I can't boot with a 4590. I'll be "overclocking" to the turbo freq 24/7, hence my need for an upgrade over the stock cooler.

A Haswell i5 at 3.6 GHz should be good for a few years, right? I don't plan on upgrading again until Skylake.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Going from i5 to i7 for my streaming (3000kbps) 900p didn't do anything fwiw but the games didn't eat all my CPU.
Does that mean that H81 boards are incompatible with Haswell Refresh? Fuck Intel if so.

That reminds me, does anyone know of a solid air cooler that's not the size of an Xbox One? My ITX mobo doesn't leave much room for the CPU cooler to clear the GPU. I know that the Hyper 212 Evo is too big. I'd like something in that price range but smaller... and preferably not too loud.

CPU will probably be a 4570 (no OC) since apparently I can't boot with a 4590. I'll be "overclocking" to the turbo freq 24/7, hence my need for an upgrade over the stock cooler.

A Haswell i5 at 3.6 GHz should be good for a few years, right? I don't plan on upgrading again until Skylake.
IDK if its just Devil Trail that needs Z97.

Zalman has a 92mm rifle type that's good.

However, the 4690K is due out within a few weeks, and you will probably want to hold out for that. It's called "Devil's Canyon" and all signs point to some really great performance.

I'm looking for the 770 you recommended. Is it possible you can link me to it please?

Windows 8. 99% of games will work and games like BF4 and likely future titles will gain major performance from DirectX 11.2/ 12. Windows 7 is fine but if you are buying a new computer theres really no reason not to get 8.

Ok, and which one for Windows 8 should I get? Trying to get everything together on pcpartpicker.

LilJoka

The other Refresh chips are out though, right? My Google-fu is failing me... I see that the new chips (non-Devil's Canyon) work fine on Z87, but I can't find any info about H81.

Up to the vendor to release the BIOS update. If the chips work on Z87 there is no reason not to work on H81 as the chipset is the same except cant overclock K chips.

Link i posted to Gigabyte H81 with CPU support listed for Haswell Refresh.

wait, win7 does not support dx12? are you serious?

lol so win7=xp and win8=vista?

oh gosh when are devil's canyon and gtx 8xx coming? can't wait to build my first ever rig.

LilJoka

So on Gigabyte GA-H81-D3 support site

2014/05/13
BIOS Update
Support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors

Theres only one lot of new Hasewll CPUs coming ^^

molnizzle

Zalman has a 92mm rifle type that's good.

This guy?

There is a catch though, you must have a previously supported CPU to update the BIOS on most boards that dont have a USB Flashback method like Asus.

Also id just wait for the air to clear before committing.

I'm good there, currently rocking a Haswell Pentium like a boss. =P

Thanks for the advice though, I'll wait a few weeks to see what the word is.

Animal

Banned
Hi folks,

I need your help picking a set of monitors (I will be buying two).

I am currently trying to choose between these 3 monitors but I can't seem to make up my mind.:

I was originally attracted to the BenQ RL2455HM because it is advertising a 1ms response time. I will be using these monitors uniquely for pc and console gaming.
I am unsure if the 40$ price difference per unit with the BenQ GL2450HM for 1ms gain is worth it. I can't see any other spec difference between the two.
The Asus monitor appears to be good and lots of people recommend them to me.

My only requirements are:
  • 1920x1080 resolution
  • 100x100 or 75x75 vesa mounts
  • very low response time
  • very low ghosting/streaking

Any input, recommendations and/or other suggestions is greatly appreciated :)

Exuro

I know I've said SSD is SSD fast, but the perf diff for m500 vs m550 and 840evo...

I'm torn.

Esp since going from an Intel 320 to Evo I didn't notice the jump.
889 is a great onboard one.
Are you satisfied?

If you want to try something go for a Sonar DGX or SB Z.
I'm fairly satisfied. Just not sure if the onboard is holding back the headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom