• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
MS will not confirm or deny, considering DX12 is due 2015 it seems unlikely
oh okay.

nah. win7 will support it, considering how an overwhelming majority still uses win7.

holy crap just checked wiki and win7 has been here for 5 years already? gosh it's probably because vista only lived for 3 yrs lol.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67
Well my mobo kinda caught fire a little near the ram slot after I was trying to solve the issue with whatever was causing the DRAM light to blink and not boot. So i should probably look into a new motherboard. Well what would be a good replacement here?

derder

Hi folks,

I need your help picking a set of monitors (I will be buying two).

I am currently trying to choose between these 3 monitors but I can't seem to make up my mind.:

I was originally attracted to the BenQ RL2455HM because it is advertising a 1ms response time. I will be using these monitors uniquely for pc and console gaming.
I am unsure if the 40$ price difference per unit with the BenQ GL2450HM for 1ms gain is worth it. I can't see any other spec difference between the two.
The Asus monitor appears to be good and lots of people recommend them to me.

My only requirements are:
  • 1920x1080 resolution
  • 100x100 or 75x75 vesa mounts
  • very low response time
  • very low ghosting/streaking

Any input, recommendations and/or other suggestions is greatly appreciated :)

Buy this instead
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/120828/newegg---24-asus-vg248qe-144hz-1ms-led-3d-monitor

Josman

Nice monitor but it is more than I wanted to spend. is the 144Hz really worth it? I run all my games at 60fps max.

The Asus one is $165 at Amazon, I've read good reviews about it and it has picture in picture mode. I'm gonna buy it to watch tv while surfing or working, I don't know of you're interested in that but since the difference is so small I thought I should add that :p

You'll need a capture card, but I also suggest swapping to a 750 Ti so you can use Shadowplay. It uses an on-board H.264 encoding chip to do all of the grunt work. It's the same magic behind Shield basically.

To give you an idea of the quality, this was captured with Shadowplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfiS9KYgpU

If you can up the budget a bit, I'd really suggest looking at something like a Z97 board with one of the Haswell refresh chips or Devil's Canyon, such as the 4690K which will be out in a few months.

There's a number of really neat technologies like SATA Express and M.2 SATA slots that should pan out to be great storage interfaces.

I know right? I had to recheck the price a couple times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Too good.

Can you clarify? I don't really understand any of this. I need links.

Saywhat... I'm almost positive Haswell Refresh does not work on any Z87 boards.

As far as I know z87 can run haswell refresh/devil's canyon. You just can't overclock with it. We can thank intel for the confusion :p

Edit: I just googled and this came up
http://www.vortez.net/news_story/evga_clarifies_z87_haswell_refresh_compatibility.html

Yeh im sure

EVGA are nonetheless stating that their own Z87 motherboards will be compatible with the new CPUs following a UEFI BIOS update, available direct from their support microsite.

Devils Canyon, though its just unlocked Haswell Refresh, is atm unconfirmed afaik, but strongly seems like Z97 only. But the standard Haswell Refresh chips will work on Z87 with a BIOS update. Intel are doing a money grab for sure.

I also read on the ROG forum that the most recent Z87 bios update for Asus boards added support for haswell refresh

Its free for us in the UK, Office and Windows, and a lot of other programs like CAD/Matlab etc if you are on an engineering or computer science course.

Yup, the CS department at my university gives us a full access to Microsoft Dream Spark and others. Dream Spark itself includes copies of Vista, Win 7/8/8.1 various development tools, Office, and so many other programs it's stupid. At my Uni they also give free Office out to the College of Business and others as well. Just ask in whatever department you are in whether or not they have any free software for students.

Yeah so far I've been seeing that Haswell refresh will work on Z87 via UEFI BIOS update. Devils Canyon is a big question mark though. I'm willing to bet that even if it does work, OC won't.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Yeah so far I've been seeing that Haswell refresh will work on Z87 via UEFI BIOS update. Devils Canyon is a big question mark though. I'm willing to bet that even if it does work, OC won't.

From what I understand devil canyon are being better binned and having better Tim this make it better for oc might work it's the same die but we will see

I finally decided to cancel my order on my 4770k keep everything else and wait the 2 of June for the i7-4790K

be sure to post your impressions of it on here, i'm looking at throwing one into a build in August/September and i'm gonna need all the review justifications i can get

Brofist

The number of motherboards with coaxial audio out seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Looks like only 2 Z97 boards that I've found have it (MSI Z97-G45 and Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97) which kind of sucks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well my mobo kinda caught fire a little near the ram slot after I was trying to solve the issue with whatever was causing the DRAM light to blink and not boot. So i should probably look into a new motherboard. Well what would be a good replacement here?
Sounds like you need a replacement mobo :/

Test your PSU with the paperclip test and setup your old hardware with a good PSU bare minimum outside the case and see if it POSTs.
be sure to post your impressions of it on here, i'm looking at throwing one into a build in August/September and i'm gonna need all the review justifications i can get
New build new socket. Don't really need anymore than that.

maneil99

Did you try turning off and on again...? :p RMA it if possible, sell that and go to Z97, not sure what boards are good as not all the reviews are out

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Did you try turning off and on again...? :p RMA it if possible, sell that and go to Z97, not sure what boards are good as not all the reviews are out
Z97 =/= 3570K

If the 3570K was bought at retail price and can be returned then I'd say to go for a Z97 board and 4690K yup.

Reuenthal

Banned
They both are extremely similar.
I went back and relooked at a direct comparison and I went with the GB because the recent ASUS mainstream consumer boards have always seemed to lack something or didn't have a good DOA rate.
Once they hit the mainstream we'll see about replacing or even having both so people can choose.

Main thing is onboard sound. ASUS for whatever reason is using an ALC892 (then marketing CLEAR SOUND). The GB has a visible trace and is using the ALC1150 which is 2 steps up. In practice the differences can shrink or not be noticeable.
ASUS has the edge on UEFI styling and mobo tools.
I think the GB looks better. Maybe be built better? IDK

I don't think you can go wrong with either, we'll see.

Thanks for the info. The impression I had from some reviews was that there were several motherboards that were extremely similiar but ASUS had better software but I didn't know about the worse sound. I will still see since I am not buying my parts until June but I am looking the gigabyte ones more positively now in comparison to asus.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks for the info. The impression I had from some reviews was that there were several motherboards that were extremely similiar but ASUS had better software but I didn't know about the worse sound. I will still see since I am not buying my parts until June but I am looking the gigabyte ones more positively now in comparison to asus.
ASUS does have the better software (I'm on a GENE right now). But it really is tweaker stuff and for the vast majority I'd prefer better audio SNR (Mainly for mic).

Like I said though in practice you can have a better chip but worse isolation and implementation so the only way to know is sample a ton of them side by side and obviously that isn't happening :p

To Do: Get a website up as a summer project and do some consumer focused oriented testing like 'what onboard sound isn't shit' and 'what boards does my $2 mic suck on'.
Oh yea, forgot the 3570k is still there, wonder how he can test if it works? Intel has 3 year RMA
Mobo if not purchased at launch might still be covered and same goes for CPU.
It was an i3 -> i5 upgrade + 460 -> 760 + EA380 -> BP550

It's actually not a great one. Here's something that will perform better in games:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.29 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($432.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7W 2.1ch Speakers ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1352.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-21 18:24 EDT-0400)

However, the 4690K is due out within a few weeks, and you will probably want to hold out for that. It's called "Devil's Canyon" and all signs point to some really great performance.

Thanks for the feedback, though I had to change this list up a little bit to hard a traditional hard drive and OS: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3OAZL

Will the case still be large enough to fit everything? Also, would it be better to get a higher-voltage power supply in case they ever release equipment that requires more power?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks for the feedback, though I had to change this list up a little bit to hard a traditional hard drive and OS: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3OAZL

Will the case still be large enough to fit everything? Also, would it be better to get a higher-voltage power supply in case they ever release equipment that requires more power?
He just doesn't like HDDs :p

120GB 840 EVO + 1/2TB HDD
Win 8 Pro off Reddit softwareswap for $10-$30
I'm swapping the EVO or M550 or SandDisk Extreme II back in as an option on 120GB. (Reading the reviews again now)

For that PSU? Not really. If anything uses more considerably power than the 290... well interesting times would be upon us.
If you want to feel safe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171094
You can probably resell it for the same price in 3 years even. That's a $180 part on negative margins to gain market share.

Reuenthal

Banned
ASUS does have the better software (I'm on a GENE right now). But it really is tweaker stuff and for the vast majority I'd prefer better audio SNR (Mainly for mic).

Makes sense.

Like I said though in practice you can have a better chip but worse isolation and implementation so the only way to know is sample a ton of them side by side and obviously that isn't happening :p

To Do: Get a website up as a summer project and do some consumer focused oriented testing like 'what onboard sound isn't shit' and 'what boards does my $2 mic suck on'.

This thread is already super helpful to people but it is pretty impressive how in depth you would go in examining (important maybe) details like which motherboard has not shit onboard sound.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Makes sense.

This thread is already super helpful to people but it is pretty impressive how in depth you would go in examining (important maybe) details like which motherboard has not shit onboard sound.
Nah, see, it would be really basic.
Slap an SSD with Windows on it and play some music files on each board. Record with Audacity on two 3.5mm mics with various boost levels and a USB mic. Easy and helpful.

NoRéN

Happy to see that my 4770k will be compatible with the z97 boards. Gives me something to look forward to upgrading come black Friday.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OF COURSE the 840EVO 120GB would drop $15 today.
Wonder if it's permanent or Samsung reps are watching this thread.
pls send me samples

I'm thinking Sandisk Extreme II 120GB given it's 4k performance compared to the other drives and leaving the M500 as a value option to save $15-$20 (Since I didn't notice jack going from Intel 320 to Evo 250GB), then slotting the 250GB 840 EVO since it's the best price/performance and of course reliable.

yWsGpW6.png

PvYCJjA.png

rBI36zA.png

FTe0YuL.png

CbBaWzt.png

(And of course the rest of the Anandtech review/info)

Willectro

Banned
Anyone have any experience with the Noctua NH-D15 and non-LP RAM such as Corsair Vengeance? Noctua's website claims "Thanks to its recessed lower fins, the NH-D15 provides 64mm clearance for tall memory heatsinks in single fan mode, making it compatible with most high end RAM modules on the market. In dual fan mode, the NH-D15 should be used with standard height RAM (up to 32mm).*"

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/69073-noctua-nh-d15/

The above review claims "The only small issue we ran into during installation was that the outer 140mm fan had to be attached at a higher point, as a result of our tall Corsair Vengeance Pro memory modules."

Thoughts?
I wish I bought low profile ram :(

Smokey

RMA process has been hell with Asus. Really souring me on them.

I'll most likely get all my shit from Microcenter from now on with the longest warranty they offer.

NoRéN

RMA process has been hell with Asus. Really souring me on them.

I'll most likely get all my shit from Microcenter from now on with the longest warranty they offer.

sucks to hear. Anything in particular about the RMA process that has been difficult?

Smokey

NoRéN;112937269 said:
sucks to hear. Anything in particular about the RMA process that has been difficult?

Treat you like you're dumb pretty much. I've told them pretty much everything I've done. It keeps getting repeated back to me as if I didn't just tell you in the first place. I had to call back 3x after I tried what they told me something to do. I knew it wouldn't work but they pretty much forced me off the phone each time. I just want to RMA the damn board that's it.

I actually got this board from Microcenter and had a 2 year warranty that expired this past Jan. I had it for this very reason because I had the same kind of shitty experience with their P67 board that I sent in.

VT_Brian

Neo Member
Anyone have experience with open box Newegg stuff? I was looking to get an R9 290, but Newegg has the Asus R9 290X open box for $443 which is out of my price range in new condition. I think all Asus stuff is factory refurb on Newegg when it is sold as open box.

ukas

I recently purchased a 780Ti but, the rest of my system hasn't been upgraded. My current setup is from around 2009/2010. What I'm wondering is how much of an impact will the older hardware have when it comes to gaming with the 780Ti. It's not a big deal if I need to build a new system, I had kind of planned on it anyway. Below are my specs with a 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme of 4750.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone have experience with open box Newegg stuff? I was looking to get an R9 290, but Newegg has the Asus R9 290X open box for $443 which is out of my price range in new condition. I think all Asus stuff is factory refurb on Newegg when it is sold as open box.
Pretty decent savings. Almost wanna give it a test run. I'm not opposed to it if you aren't time sensitive.
For a top end video card like the 290X though, which dumps heat and uses a ton of power... for $50-$100 more I'd go for a new though. Just get a 290, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed in it's performance.

Or, how about this: www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-4GB-/111358426472
Seems legit
i mean justifications for a 4790K over a 4770K, since i'm planning on overclocking the crap out of that build
It only should be $20 more expensive if that, so obviously.

VT_Brian

Neo Member
Pretty decent savings. Almost wanna give it a test run. I'm not opposed to it if you aren't time sensitive.
For a top end video card like the 290X though, which dumps heat and uses a ton of power... for $50-$100 more I'd go for a new though. Just get a 290, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed in it's performance.

Or, how about this: www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-4GB-/111358426472
Seems legit

It only should be $20 more expensive if that, so obviously.

Haha "only" used for 2 months, probably 24/7 as part of a bitcoin mining rig considering he had 3 of them. So that's probably around 1500 hours of use right there. Then I saw that he cut the back of the case...

That's why I don't really want to get a card from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Who knows what happened to it during the period the customer had it. Does Amazon consider cutting the card open as "cosmetic damage"? haha At least the Newegg cards have been hopefully checked over/refurbed by Asus

Where was this confirmed??

So basically the Haswell Refresh chips work on Z87 and Z97, but Devils Canyon (the 2 K chips) only work on Z97. Well Intel are grabbing money by the sound of it ahaha. Sounds like all the enthusiasts who wanted Intel to make some decent OCing chips since SB are just having to spend more money on boards.

Yes if true I'd like to hear Intel explain why that's the case

bad news maybe it's a rumor but Nordic hardware say devil canyon i5-4690K et i7-4790K will be for august or september :(

http://www.nordichardware.se/CPU/Styrkrets/papperslansering-av-devils-canyon-intels-nya-oeverklockningsprocessorer-kan-droeja-till-september.html

I'd heard DC was gonna be released a month after Haswell refresh which would mean around July. I'm done speculating lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom