• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Hmm, maybe I should look at some mITX cases more and the Node in particular.

Specific to the Node 304, a few questions.

1) How does it fair portability wise? Can it be moved at least once a week in the back seat of a car easily or can components move around inside the case at all?

2) Will it really fit a GTX 480 and Corsair HX620 without a ton of trouble? I like my current set up and definitely don't want to have to buy a new PSU and/or GPU just for a case downsize. The GTX 480 gets HOT and its fan can run pretty hard when playing games, that is maybe my biggest concern with a small case, my GTX 480. I like it, it gets the job done, but it can get hot.

3) And what, at the moment, is the best bang for the buck mITX mobo in GAf's opinion? Just to get me started in the right direction if I go the mITX route.
1. Node portability is great. I found a little shoulder bag that fits it, so awesome. And unless you've done something horribly wrong - components should never shift in a computer case.

2. HX620 is 150mm(L), thus being under the 160mm requirement. One of the main selling points of the case itself is that it will fit any current video card (you just remove one of the hard drive bays, meaning you can only mount 4 instead of 6).

3. Did you have a particular CPU in mind? Really any Z97 board will be great. Motherboard choice is less of an issue than it used to be. There are few stinkers now.

DSN2K

odd find but i've just connected my PC to my TV by a DVI to HDMI cable....was surprised to see the audio was carried. I didnt think DVI carried audio signals...pleasant surprise because I was expecting to have to buy another cable to get the audio from my PC.

kennah

odd find but i've just connected my PC to my TV by a DVI to HDMI cable....was surprised to see the audio was carried. I didnt think DVI carried audio signals...pleasant surprise because I was expecting to have to buy another cable to get the audio from my PC.

Here's a secret - HDMI is DVI in a different connector.

DoctorZ

1. Node portability is great. I found a little shoulder bag that fits it, so awesome. And unless you've done something horribly wrong - components should never shift in a computer case.

2. HX620 is 150mm(L), thus being under the 160mm requirement. One of the main selling points of the case itself is that it will fit any current video card (you just remove one of the hard drive bays, meaning you can only mount 4 instead of 6).

3. Did you have a particular CPU in mind? Really any Z97 board will be great. Motherboard choice is less of an issue than it used to be. There are few stinkers now.

Thanks, 1 and 2 are my main concerns. Seems like the Node would do the job I need it to. I have a 3570k so I'd just move that over.

Smokey

So I'm going to need a fan controller for the 8 fans I have. I only 4 fan headers on my motherboard. Never had one before, is there a certain brand I should be looking to for quality? Microcenter is a few blocks up the street from me, so I can actually get this today.

kennah

Thanks, 1 and 2 are my main concerns. Seems like the Node would do the job I need it to. I have a 3570k so I'd just move that over.

Then you'll need to find a Z77 board. Good luck finding one (they're two gens behind now). The Asus and Gigabyte ones are both good from that era (but they're all decent from that era). You need to be a bit careful with cooler choices on the ITX boards. What cooling are you going to be using?

So I'm going to need a fan controller for the 8 fans I have. I only 4 fan headers on my motherboard. Never had one before, is there a certain brand I should be looking to for quality? Microcenter is a few blocks up the street from me, so I can actually get this today.

Buy the one that has the most LEDs and a touch screen, and temperature monitoring, and a USB port.

mkenyon

Banned
PWM or voltage? Honestly, getting 4 splitters would be the easiest. Otherwise, the NZXT stuff is pretty good. Some of the pricier lamptron stuff as well. The others I wouldn't touch. If they are fans you are running at full speed, just use molex adapters.
then why does DVI typically not carry audio ? possible I'm just wrong here all along, but for years I've been under impression DVI cant carry audio.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52467351&postcount=10822

Flaxh

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.98 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($135.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $1153.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-30 07:14 EDT-0400)

Hi guys! I built this pc a year ago based on your suggestions and it has been excellent! Although I'm getting into some troubles with Watch Dogs and even tough I could probably blame the game, I'd like to hear your suggestions on low budget improvements in the short term or long term improvements around 500€.

I'd really like to play titles like The Witcher 3 and Batman maxed out at 1080p so I've been thinking about swapping my 770 for the 4GB version because right now that wouldn't cost me a lot of money.

Regarding the 8GBs of memory, is it still good? I usually multitask a lot, like playing a game, streaming, listenning to music and chatting on skype.

Thanks in advance!

Quoting and looking for more replies! Your feedback is always great.

Dont be upgrading for watch dogs especially with that rig. Wait for the next PC patch first. Even people with 4GB cards are struggling with stutter, check the watch dogs pc performance thread. The game is broken not your rig. Overclock you CPU and GPU if you havent already.

Yeah, the game might be the problem but do you think that 4GB will be more future proof looking at the recent titles? I "just" wanna play maxed out at 1080p60fps. I can sell my 770 now for 280€ and grab the 4GB version for 345€, saving money for a bigger update in 2 years or so.

mkenyon

Banned
Rapid succession post, but I just checked Microcenter and I wouldn't buy any of those.

Order this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997110

*edit*

And to be clear, fan controllers are notorious for going up in smoke. I've seen countless melted controllers, even ones that are supposed to be decent.

Smokey

Rapid succession post, but I just checked Microcenter and I wouldn't buy any of those.

Order this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997110

*edit*

And to be clear, fan controllers are notorious for going up in smoke. I've seen countless melted controllers, even ones that are supposed to be decent.

Well this is my worry about all of them going into the motherboard. Here are the fan headers it has:

4 pin CPU_FAN
4-pin CHA_FAN1
3-pin CHA_FAN2
3-pin PWR_FAN1-2

So lets start from the front of the 540. I'm going to put 3x 120mms there. Based on the above I'd have to run a splitter to one of the 3-pin headers correct? These fans are now PWM.

Moving to the H100i all four of these fans are PWM. So I'd need two Y splitters here no?

The back 140mm fan can go into the motherboard.

All of these are the performance fans except for the back 140mm so I'm not sure I want these running at full blasts 24/7.

Help me out here my fan game is noob tier and it would be fantastic if I didn't overload a header and cause something to explode.

mkenyon

Banned
H100i has headers for 4 fans, IIRC. Use that.

For the others, since they're the non PWM ones, go ahead and get a fan controller if you want. Though, you shouldn't have got the performance edition ones :p

*lots of edits I'm distracted*

The NZXT Sentry Mix is pretty good.

Mother fucakpniogpewrafprhewuahfoafd

So I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why the hell my PC kept shutting itself off. Tried all kinds of OC stability tests, back to stock clock, checked and replaced PSU, checked video card mobo etc etc. Basically my hardware is perfect. Turns out Windows 8.1 strikes again.

I forgot to turn off hybrid sleep in my settings so whenever I used the power button to shut down it would save all kinds of broken information. Guys, if you're installing Win 8/8.1, disable all the stupid new garbage they added.

mkenyon

Banned
Are they really gonna be THAT expensive? I just need 2 sp and 3 case fans.
$30 a fan? :p

The ~$10 range is all about Cougar Vortex and Arctic Cooling F12s. Upwards from there, Corsair SP/AF Quiets, CM JetFlos, Noiseblocker eLoops, Aerocool DeadSilence, and a few Noctuas are all great.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Are they really gonna be THAT expensive? I just need 2 sp and 3 case fans.
Then go buy Noctuas or Corsair PWMs.

It doesn't really matter for case fans (In general if you aren't running like an OC 290+ whatever) just buy whatever PWM fan is on sale or has colors you like.
I got the Rosewill 140mm's and they are extremely good sans their sticker. (On par with S-Flow and better than Corsair SP120 on heatsink).

mkenyon

Banned
Then go buy Noctuas or Corsair PWMs.

It doesn't really matter for case fans (In general if you aren't running like an OC 290+ whatever) just buy whatever PWM fan is on sale or has colors you like.
I got the Rosewill 140mm's and they are extremely good sans their sticker. (On par with S-Flow and better than Corsair SP120 on heatsink).
Yep, that too. Case fans aren't nearly as important. Anything that is spinning at 1200 RPM unobstructed is going to be moving a good amount of air.

mkenyon

Banned
Ordered that Sentry Mix 2. Thanks MK.

Now the decision to build in the 540...or wait until next week....
Definitely now. It's the weekend. When the mix comes, just swap in the new fans with the new fan controller. In the meantime, use the H100i for rad fans and mobo for stock case fans.

DoctorZ

Then you'll need to find a Z77 board. Good luck finding one (they're two gens behind now). The Asus and Gigabyte ones are both good from that era (but they're all decent from that era). You need to be a bit careful with cooler choices on the ITX boards. What cooling are you going to be using?

Hyper 212+ is what I have. I could go to something smaller if needed I guess.

If a Z77 board is hard to find, then maybe I'll just stick with a mATX case. Compared to my CM Storm Scout (9.1" x 20.2" x 20.5") if I can cut that in about half, mostly the weight, I'd call it a win in terms of the goal of making my PC more portable.

I just need to decide if the size difference between the Node and say a Bitphenix Phenom is worth buying a new mobo (which apparently is hard to find for my CPU, 3570k?).

So far I am down to three mATX options.

Silverstone SG09
Silverstone SG10
Bitfenix Phenom

Hey everyone I'm in Japan and I'm currently looking at a budget build. Here is what I have so far. Converting prices to USD but things are typically more expensive here.

Case - $50 Silverstone SST-GD07B (Friend is selling this to me)
GPU - $165 R9 270 (270x is significantly more expensive)
MoBo - $35 GIGABYTE Intel H81 LGA1150 Micro ATX GA-H81M-DS2 REV2.X (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00GY0QE3C/)
CPU - $230 Core-i5-4590 (same price as 4570)
PSU - $50 SilverStone 【HASWELL対応】 Strider Essential 電源 500W SST-ST50F-ES
RAM - $80 Kingston 8GBDDR3-1600(PC3-12800) Non-ECC CL11 DIMM (240pin) KVR16N11/8

$610 (+ SSD)

I will be here for 2 years so I don't think I want to commit to a 290, bigger case, bigger motherboard. Will probably strip this of the cpu, ssd, ram and dump the rest.

Is that motherboard okay? I won't be increasing voltages and the only OC I will do this minor one through ATi Control Panel.

Edit: Zalman Z9 case for $55 seems okay so I might get that instead.

Ashhong

Quoting and looking for more replies! Your feedback is always great.

Yeah, the game might be the problem but do you think that 4GB will be more future proof looking at the recent titles? I "just" wanna play maxed out at 1080p60fps. I can sell my 770 now for 280€ and grab the 4GB version for 345€, saving money for a bigger update in 2 years or so.

Is there any reason why you are going for the 3570k instead of the 4670k?

Also I had that PSU for a little while. Kind of loud in general

Ashhong

That list is what he already owns.

Oh. My bad then :) That's what I get for not reading the whole post hehe

While I'm here, any recommendations on the best/quietest fan for my CM 212 Evo? I am semi sure this is the loudest part of my PC at the moment. Are there any reviews on those new normal looking Noctuas?

The Llama

I'm gonna comically miss the point of this to ask: what's the least shitty 2TB internal hard drive on the market right now?

(I forget if I've already asked this question in this thread)

On a related note, whats wrong with WD hard drives? 5-6 years ago they were generally considered the best.

DoctorZ

I'm thinking if it's okay to use a 32" 1080p HDTV as ones primary monitor for gaming? Does it have any major downsides?

Some people can have trouble reading text/web browsing on HDTVs, but you can mess with the TV and PC video settings to somewhat fix this. I've had no issues as I use it mainly for PC gaming with a controller.

kennah

Exactly. :) Any suggestions btw? My post was kinda ignored. :p
It wasn't ignored. Overclock your cpu. Wait. Don't upgrade for Watchdogs. Wait for the patch. 75 money's is too much to spend to just go from 2gig to 4gig. Get a 780 if you really want to upgrade.

Pachimari

Some people can have trouble reading text/web browsing on HDTVs, but you can mess with the TV and PC video settings to somewhat fix this. I've had no issues as I use it mainly for PC gaming with a controller.
Thanks. I'll look into it.

And I still haven't overclocked my i5 4640 CPU (don't remember the exact name). It seems to be complicated to do?

M3z_

BST Cross Post

PC Parts

Corsair RM 750 watt Gold Rated Power Supply $80 *Original Box*

Z0RSxlml.jpg

Seagate 240 GB SSD $80

Kingston 120GB SSD $50

3Ypc4lHl.jpg

x3 R9 290 Asus DirectCU II $320 *No mining & Original Box*

ePiJJv9l.jpg

BY9nxC3l.jpg

Asus ROG Impact Z87 $140 *All accessories wifi card/sound card/wifi antenna & Original Box*

2B70rryl.jpg

Intel 4670K $160 *Original box included*

kkURHBYl.jpg

GSkill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz $40 *Brand New*

VB2wEq7l.jpg

Hi Guys,
Long time lurker, and 1st time poster to this thread. With that said, I would like some advice in building a new rig. This is because I have come to realize that my current build is woefully inadequate to meet the current demands of most games. As such, I plan to build a new computer, and would like suggestions in particular on my GPU and CPU combination that I will be using. I would also like the build to be as quiet as possible, that is why I am thinking of using

Here is a link to a build that I am thinking of putting together: http://bit.ly/1pG24sr

Below follows the specifics as it pertains to my needs:

My Current Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.67 GHz (Stock)
  • GPU: PNY GTX 650 1 GB + EVGA Geforce 9500 GT
  • RAM: 4GB DDR2
  • Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
  • PSU: Corsair TX 650M
  • Case: Cooler Master Elite 331
  • HDD: Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD + WD 1 TB Caviar Green + WD 200 GB
Budget: $800-1000 USD

Main Use:
  • Light Gaming: 2
  • Gaming: 4
  • Emulation: 1
  • Video Editing: 1
  • Streaming Games in HD: 1
  • 3D/Model work: 1
  • General Usage: 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p; probably won't upgrade for a long time

Specific Games that I want to run well (at 30fps or 60fps):
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Mass Effect 3
  • WatchDogs
  • Skyrim
  • Future games as well: Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, etc
Reusing Parts:
  • Corsair TX 650M
  • Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD + WD 1 TB Caviar Green + WD 200 GB
  • Monitors: Hanspree HF225 (1080p monitor) + Acer X183H (1366x768)
Build Date: June-July; over the summer

Overclocking: Yes

Thanks,

M3z_

Powerline Adapters are in the top 3 greatest networking devices created.

The other two being routers and switches.

They are nice, but in my experience they still have much lower throughput that I would want. I have a 100mb down connection and my adapter is rated for 500mb, but I never see anything higher than 25mb even though pc plugged in directly from router gets full 100mb when isp is giving it.

Onemic

Just finished upgrading my PC. Turn it on to find that now windows doesn't load even with safe mode turned on. Startup repair does nothing as well. I upgraded my mobo, CPU, ram, and GPU. Everything else was untouched.

He was talking about Watch Dogs, not Western Digital. :p

To be honest, Western Digital HDDs aren't great value either. Better than Seagate though.

//
Just finished upgrading my PC. Turn it on to find that now windows doesn't load even with safe mode turned on. Startup repair does nothing as well. I upgraded my mobo, CPU, ram, and GPU. Everything else was untouched.

What do you mean by "windows doesn't load"?
Is nothing happening?
Did you re-connect the SATA and power plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom