• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
Is there any reason at all to upgrade from a 3570k @ 4.2 and a gtx 780ti classified if I am limited to 1080p for the next year?

Gumbie

Anyone want to trade a smaller case that fits extended ATX motherboards for my Corsair 750D? I need more space in my office and that thing is a beast.

dmr87

Is there any reason at all to upgrade from a 3570k @ 4.2 and a gtx 780ti classified if I am limited to 1080p for the next year?

1 year is a long time in the PC world, but I'd say no. Only things that could happen is that Maxwell is highly superior over Kepler and that games starts to really take advantage of i7s.

dmr87

Smokey, I think I found your next purchase.

YvO.jpg

ZvO.jpg

awO.jpg

bwO.jpg

cwO.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/200284/gigabyte-unveils-its-waterforce-vga-liquid-cooling-solution.html

scogoth

That gigabyte monstrosity looks like it's more work then full custom and unless they have two rads up top I dont think that is enough for 3 GPUs. Plus it's not elegant at all

PC bros, would you say this is a decent card for the price to do me for a year or so? Im thinking maybe next year I could sell it on for a few quid and pick up a 780ti when theyve hopefully dropped in price. I really want a 780, but the price tag is quite hefty for me at the moment. The rest of my rig is an i7 4770k, & 16GB ram. I game at 1680x1050, and occasionally downsample from higher resolutions, looking to run games at max, 60fps (not going to 1440p, 120fps as my monitor obv wont support that)

http://www.dabs.ie/products/msi-gef...-oc-8QLT.html?refs=4294945034-492960000&src=2

mkenyon

Banned
$3000 in video cards. Jeebus.
PC bros, would you say this is a decent card for the price to do me for a year or so? Im thinking maybe next year I could sell it on for a few quid and pick up a 780ti when theyve hopefully dropped in price. I really want a 780, but the price tag is quite hefty for me at the moment. The rest of my rig is an i7 4770k, & 16GB ram. I game at 1680x1050, and occasionally downsample from higher resolutions, looking to run games at max, 60fps (not going to 1440p, 120fps as my monitor obv wont support that)

http://www.dabs.ie/products/msi-gef...-oc-8QLT.html?refs=4294945034-492960000&src=2
R9 290 would be the card you should look at.

Smokey

I'm at my GPU EndGame bruh

I gotta wait until next month to try Tri SLI Titan goodness anyway because Devils Canyon. Going back and forth between the EVGA Z97 Classified and Gigabyte GA Z97X G1. Been watching/reading a lot on both the last few days ...but still undecided.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

I gotta wait until next month to try Tri SLI Titan goodness anyway because Devils Canyon. Going back and forth between the EVGA Z97 Classified and Gigabyte GA Z97X G1. Been watching/reading a lot on both the last few days ...but still undecided.
Clock your RAM super high too yo.
That means I get to start my project first then :D

NoRéN

Is microcenter doing any cpu/motherboard deals for the z97s?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Oh wtf Smokey.

*jealous*

Good show. Real good show.

For a gaming PC, there isn't much of an option.

Plus, don't forget about unlocked Pentiums soon!
What's this about unlocked pentiums?
I want something without that stupid iGPU but with a cpu similar to a 4670k, don't suppose this it that :(?
edit: googled , dual core only, so it's useless

You can choose between the lesser evil, which at least isn't expensive as hell, and the bigger one, which on the other side has a bit better CPUs.
No for gaming you can't go amd anymore sadly

ACE 1991

So are there good enough GPU sales on black friday that are worth waiting for? There aren't any games between now and then I want to upgrade my 6950 for, so I'm hoping I can get a 780 or 290 for $450 or under.

Anyone?

Smokey

Clock your RAM super high too yo.
That means I get to start my project first then :D

Probably :v(

Was yours the tri 290s?

NoRéN;115054012 said:
Is microcenter doing any cpu/motherboard deals for the z97s?

Haven't seen anything yet. I'm almost sure they will but not until release date gets closer. They usually do that for new launches.

Dystify

Hi guys, I have been thinking about building a PC and ended up with this: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/HFJxbv (Germany)

Is it alright like that? Could there be any changes (to pay less for a similar result)? Any help is appreciated, as I have no idea what I'm doing...

Also, would a 430W Power Supply be good enough? Somewhere else the "be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430 Watt" was suggested.

mkenyon

Banned
What's this about unlocked pentiums?
I want something without that stupid iGPU but with a cpu similar to a 4670k, don't suppose this it that :(?
edit: googled , dual core only, so it's useless
Saywhat?
But if I don't feel like ditching team green?
Then get over your emotional attachment to consumer products.

Though I do truly mean that, I can understand your hesitation of the unknown. Everything is great everywhere right now, so it's not the iffy decision it once was 4+ years ago.

kharma45

Hi guys, I have been thinking about building a PC and ended up with this: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/HFJxbv (Germany)

Is it alright like that? Could there be any changes (to pay less for a similar result)? Any help is appreciated, as I have no idea what I'm doing...

Also, would a 430W Power Supply be good enough? Somewhere else the "be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430 Watt" was suggested.

Should be fine. That unit can deliver 512w at full load. I've got one myself and I'm very happy with it.

Still, part of me is hesitant I'll not lie. If it were my own build I'd do it without a second thought but when it comes to someone else I can't help but feel I should say go 550w just to err on the side of caution. If you're looking to overclock both the 7970 and 4670K then definitely go 550w, as I wouldn't put that PSU under that kind of stress.

blado

I'm looking for something to replace my 5 year old 1080p TN panel monitor. I upgraded to a 780 and a 3570k@4.4GHz last year, and I'd like to finally upgrade my monitor. My budget is around $200-$300, and I will be using the monitor purely for gaming. I'm currently completely unsure as to what path I should take. I originally wanted to just get another 1080p 60hz and call it a day, but now I'm not so sure. I'm possibly considering going for 120Hz as well, but I'm very reluctant to sacrifice the image quality that an IPS would bring me. I'm also considering the 1200p Dell Ultrasharp, but I've heard that there's been some difficulty with games not supporting that aspect ratio. I haven't seen any 1440p monitors in that price range, so that's mostly out of the question. Any advice from those of you who have experience with these monitors would be greatly appreciated, since I'm completely confused as to which path I should take.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm looking for something to replace my 5 year old 1080p TN panel monitor. I upgraded to a 780 and a 3570k@4.4GHz last year, and I'd like to finally upgrade my monitor. My budget is around $200-$300, and I will be using the monitor purely for gaming. I'm currently completely unsure as to what path I should take. I originally wanted to just get another 1080p 60hz and call it a day, but now I'm not so sure. I'm possibly considering going for 120Hz as well, but I'm very reluctant to sacrifice the image quality that an IPS would bring me. I'm also considering the 1200p Dell Ultrasharp, but I've heard that there's been some difficulty with games not supporting that aspect ratio. I haven't seen any 1440p monitors in that price range, so that's mostly out of the question. Any advice from those of you who have experience with these monitors would be greatly appreciated, since I'm completely confused as to which path I should take.
Image quality is for squares. ASUS 144Hz or a used Samsung 120Hz if you want better colors.

Water

Depends on what kind of gaming you do. The best value you can get around $300 is either one of the cheap Korean 1440p IPS displays or a 144Hz TN display. Among the latter, I think the ones that look best are the Benq Z series (more configurability, wider range of strobing).

jett

D-Member
I just tried a bit of Crysis 3 for stress test for my new PC (4670K+280X). Aw man, it turns into a jet engine. The video card's fans go up to 2400 RPM. I guess I should've expected that... I'm disappointed that I can't get really get close to a "perceived" 60fps with everything on very high and with SMAA 1X, no taxing MSAA or anything. I can't even see shit either with all the effects the game throws in my face, but that's neither here nor there. :p I guess there's no helping the fan noise, is there.

Image quality is for squares. ASUS 144Hz or a used Samsung 120Hz if you want better colors.

Which games do you people play at 144hz, exactly? CS:GO? :p I'm gonna be comfy couch gaming at 60fps forevah.

Tablo

Sometimes I want a non TN panel. And then I crank down my settings in BF4 and play at 100+ FPS, then I forget about the aforementioned statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom