• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

riflen

The possibility I'm questioning about actually isn't simply that: is using a HDMI 2.0 cable and connect to the monitor using a display port 1.2 adapter. The monitor hdmi input is 1.4, so connecting a 2.0 cable with an adapter through the display port wouldn't it theorically get more bandwidth as I would be using a 2.0 cable and be 60hz?

Yes, I read what you wrote. It's the electronics inside the display that determine the capabilities of the interface. There's also no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable, only a High Speed or Cat 2 HDMI cable, which have been available for years.

AJLma

Shit. I already have a R9 290 and I'm considering buying one of those 290X's.

^MMBosstones you shouldn't have any problems. 550 should be more than enough for a single card.

jfoul

yo damn

people should be hopping on this

Mine has been rock solid. The Tomb Raider black screen I reported earlier was an issue with my older PSU, not the card. I've ran this card through an hour of the Furmark burn test and some Unigine with no crashes/errors. The card tops out at 84C during the Furmark burn test at 100% gpu load.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I was going to wait for the GTX 800 series, but this should last me awhile until the 20nm process matures. A 290X for $330 is amazing, with a 30 day return backing by Amazon. I'm also pretty sure the Gigabyte 3 year warranty is transferable.

Edit: A couple things before I forget. My card is running Elpida Memory, and It doesn't have any coil whine.

Reckoner

Yes, I read what you wrote. It's the electronics inside the display that determine the capabilities of the interface. There's also no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable, only a High Speed or Cat 2 HDMI cable, which have been available for years.

Ok, I just thought I was overcomplicating. Too bad, then. I'm a bit apprehensive on getting a new monitor right now because of 4k and gsync. Even though that Asus seems like a great monitor for its price, that limitation puts me off a bit.

mkenyon

Banned
Mine has been rock solid. The Tomb Raider black screen I reported earlier was an issue with my older PSU, not the card. I've ran this card through an hour of the Furmark burn test and some Unigine with no crashes/errors. The card tops out at 84C during the Furmark burn test at 100% gpu load.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I was going to wait for the GTX 800 series, but this should last me awhile until the 20nm process matures.

A 290X for $330 is amazing, with a 30 day return backing by Amazon. I'm also pretty sure the Gigabyte 3 year warranty is transferable.
It is indeed.
Ok, I just thought I was overcomplicating. Too bad, then. I'm a bit apprehensive on getting a new monitor right now because of 4k and gsync. Even though that Asus seems like a great monitor for its price, that limitation puts me off a bit.
The PB287Q has a DP input.

riflen

Yeah, I know about that, but I fear having a HDMI device in the future and wanting to use it with the monitor.

Wait, so you're not using the HDMI 1.4 port on the monitor at all? You want to adapt (source) HDMI 2.0 > DP 1.2 (display)? That could work. Not sure there are any HDMI 2.0 adapters on sale yet though.

Reckoner

If there is a USB 2.0 device in the future, an active adapter will likely do the trick.

Something like this, though some of this can be a bit finnicky, so just check out reviews beforehand.

That seems affordable. When you talked about active adapters I searched and the first one I saw was something like $150. That would be too much.

Wait, so you're not using the HDMI 1.4 port on the monitor at all? You want to adapt (source) HDMI 2.0 > DP 1.2 (display)? That could work. Not sure there are any HDMI 2.0 adapters on sale yet though.

Yes. I was just questioning that to make sure it was future proof. I think I will keep the monitor for quite some time and would like to use it, for example, with a next gen console also (PS5 lol.)

mkenyon

Banned
That seems affordable, also. When you talked about active adapters I search and the first one I saw was something like $150. That would be too much.
To be totally 100% clear, I am not certain there are any for USB 2.0 yet. The $150 actually sounds more like what I was thinking too. That's how much Dual Link DVI -> Displayport active adapters are.
Yes. I was just questioning that to make sure it was future proof. I think I will keep the monitor for quite some time and would like to use it, for example, with a next gen console also (PS5 lol.)
The current ones can't even hit 60fps at 1080p. I wouldn't worry about it :p

ekgrey

The current ones can't even hit 60fps at 1080p. I wouldn't worry about it :p

Third degree burn lol.

Also, you keep typing "USB 2.0" instead of HDMI 2.0. obviously an error but might make the thread confusing for some non-participating readers.

Edit: with the apparent disappearance of the 6GB 780 at retail, I'm seriously considering going AMD until it's time to jump on an affordable G-Sync monitor. Unfortunately, there is just no way I can jump on that Warehouse Deals offer this week, and I'm sure they'll be long gone after. ;_;

Smokey

Got The Beast v2 in it's case and tightened up. Took care of the PSU cables.

Before:

14449586623_5c0e4267d2_k.jpg

After:

Zip ties are wonderful. Love all of the space in the back of the Air 540!

Window view of Air 540:

Front View:

The whole battlestation:

Just about ready to dig in and start OC'ing this 4930k.

I really like the Corsair Air 540 case. Unfortunately I may be forced to go water for my Titan Blacks and have to leave it :(. I'll deal with that when the time comes, but for now I think it looks pretty slick.

brentech

I'll deal with that when the time comes, but for now I think it looks pretty slick.
Funny. Such a similar setup in terms of where everything is. Also have the Asus monitor along with a secondary LG. Then same keyboard... I also have my system on the right side of my desk.

Smokey

Funny. Such a similar setup in terms of where everything is. Also have the Asus monitor along with a secondary LG. Then same keyboard... I also have my system on the right side of my desk.

ha. Thinking of getting a new keyboard though. I have my mechanical Cherry Blue keyboard in my office and feels so good when typing. The browns in the 710+ aren't bad at all, but I think I prefer the feedback from the blues.

Calibus

Ugh, I am simultaneously excited and depressed to realize that I may need to begin shopping for new PC parts due to damages and annoyances with my current build. Excited because building PC systems is like crack for me, and depressed because -$$$.

On the plus side, I only have to get certain components because I can salvage the remaining from my current system.

brentech

ha. Thinking of getting a new keyboard though. I have my mechanical Cherry Blue keyboard in my office and feels so good when typing. The browns in the 710+ aren't bad at all, but I think I prefer the feedback from the blues.
Yea. My biggest thing is the (relatively) quiet since it's browns + dampened.

So my 4670k with stock cooler hit 90C(193F) in less than 10 minutes running prime95. is that normal for a stock? Didn't do any damage right?

At normal use it seems to be idling at around 39-41C(100-104F), only played a little BFBC2 and it hit around 66-68C(145-154F). Safe?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Got The Beast v2 in it's case and tightened up. Took care of the PSU cables.

Before:

After:

Zip ties are wonderful. Love all of the space in the back of the Air 540!

Window view of Air 540:

Front View:

The whole battlestation:

Just about ready to dig in and start OC'ing this 4930k.

I really like the Corsair Air 540 case. Unfortunately I may be forced to go water for my Titan Blacks and have to leave it :(. I'll deal with that when the time comes, but for now I think it looks pretty slick.

Damn.

Looks great! Can't wait to see what it looks like under water ;)

is there a way to search for the best parts for water cooling?

I have a Corsair 600t and I have Koolance r9 290x water block... nothing else.\
I checked through and I do not want to buy a "toy" all in one kit.

I rather buy separate best parts and do it slowly and properly.

Is it normal for Windows 8.1's Task Manager to report the speed of my CPU going up to 5GHz on my i5-3570k when I've only overclocked to 4.2 GHz and disabled Intel Turbo Boost?

What mouse would you guys recommend and why? I don't plan on playing MMO's so the MMO mouses wouldn't do much for me. I was looking at the Steel Series Sensei mouse. Wanted to see if anyone has had experience with and if it would be a good buy in today's market.

eek5

Every game I've thrown at it has run great, no signs of defects. I'll have some time after work to run some torture tests. If it breaks, I'll just return it to Amazon for a refund. This card is also super quiet even under gaming load, I'm impressed.

Update: The card passed the FurMark and Unigine full load burn/stress tests.
Update II: Elpida Memory :(

Mine has been pretty stable too. I did hit 94C on Unigine but under normal gaming conditions it seems to be around 77C. I'm semi tempted to pick up a second one lol

What's Elpida Memory and why is it bad :|

edit: also checked my card and it was manufactured at the end of jan. warranty active until 03/27/2017. Not bad.

mkenyon

Banned
is there a way to search for the best parts for water cooling?

I have a Corsair 600t and I have Koolance r9 290x water block... nothing else.
I checked through and I do not want to buy a "toy" all in one kit.

I rather buy separate best parts and do it slowly and properly.
I can be your help. The info is really spread out and fragmented, and requires a lot of different random tidbits and anecdotal information. However, a good place to get started at is Martin's Liquid Lab. Tons of good info there.

jfoul

Mine has been pretty stable too. I did hit 94C on Unigine but under normal gaming conditions it seems to be around 77C. I'm semi tempted to pick up a second one lol

What's Elpida Memory and why is it bad :|

edit: also checked my card and it was manufactured at the end of jan. warranty active until 03/27/2017. Not bad.

The card can come with Elpida, or Hynix memory. Both are good, but Hynix overclocks better.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I'm surprised you don't pickup the cheap R9 290X on the last page to use in your backup rig. You wanted to give AMD a try right? ;)
Imagine it water-cooled inside your FT02 like this:

IMG-2857.jpg

Notice the three cards? Watch it gradually turn into a tri-crossfire rig lol

Hawk269

Need some help guys. I upgraded my PSU from a Corsair 1200 to a Corsair 1500 PSU. On my 1200 I had the Corsair brand Blue Power Cables so all the power cables from the PSU to each component used these blue sleeved cables. However, when I am trying to use these same cables on my new 1500 PSU it does not work.

I am doing a leak test on my water loop and have a an adapter to make it think it is connected to the mother board. The 1500 turns on no problem and even the LED light in my res turns on, but seems like there is not enough juice to power the pumps. So for shits and giggles, I plugged in the 1200 using the blue cables to my pump/res and the black power cable that came with the new PSU and it worked fine. My LED light in the res turned on as did the two pumps with no problem.

So at this point it seems like my blue corsair brand cables are not working properly with the new PSU. Is this normal? I would hate to have wasted the money on fancy blue power cables and now have them not work with the new PSU, but after and hour of testing, it just does not work with the blue cables. I decided to use one of the black accessories power cables and ran that from the 1500 PSU to the water pump and it worked perfectly fine. So at this point it seems like my fancy blue power cables are just not compatible with my new PSU. I have such a good ad nicely tucked cable management and it seems like I now have to redo the whole f'n thing! ARGGHHHH!

Smokey

whats the recommended watts for sli 780's? im rocking a 550 but i doubt thats enough

Nope 550w won't do it. You'd be probably need to step up to a 850w or so. Assuming your other components are overclocked.

I'm surprised you don't pickup the cheap R9 290X on the last page to use in your backup rig. You wanted to give AMD a try right? ;)
Imagine it water-cooled inside your FT02 like this:

IMG-2857.jpg

Notice the three cards? Watch it gradually turn into a tri-crossfire rig lol

I briefly thought about it but said "i can't" lol

scogoth

I can be your help. The info is really spread out and fragmented, and requires a lot of different random tidbits and anecdotal information. However, a good place to get started at is Martin's Liquid Lab. Tons of good info there.

+1 for mkenyon as your personal buying guide.

A lot of parts also come down the build quality and aesthetic more than performance. OCN also will have tidbits on parts if you go hunting for info. Little things like the fact that Monsoon temp monitors are shit and leak are the things you just don't know about until you have it happen to you or read a forum post that lets you know to buy something else.

Mrbob

Smokey that case is sexy. It looks small enough that it might fit in my component rack by removing a shelf when I build my home theater pc. What are the dimensions?

mkenyon

Banned
Need some help guys. I upgraded my PSU from a Corsair 1200 to a Corsair 1500 PSU. On my 1200 I had the Corsair brand Blue Power Cables so all the power cables from the PSU to each component used these blue sleeved cables. However, when I am trying to use these same cables on my new 1500 PSU it does not work.

I am doing a leak test on my water loop and have a an adapter to make it think it is connected to the mother board. The 1500 turns on no problem and even the LED light in my res turns on, but seems like there is not enough juice to power the pumps. So for shits and giggles, I plugged in the 1200 using the blue cables to my pump/res and the black power cable that came with the new PSU and it worked fine. My LED light in the res turned on as did the two pumps with no problem.

So at this point it seems like my blue corsair brand cables are not working properly with the new PSU. Is this normal? I would hate to have wasted the money on fancy blue power cables and now have them not work with the new PSU, but after and hour of testing, it just does not work with the blue cables. I decided to use one of the black accessories power cables and ran that from the 1500 PSU to the water pump and it worked perfectly fine. So at this point it seems like my fancy blue power cables are just not compatible with my new PSU. I have such a good ad nicely tucked cable management and it seems like I now have to redo the whole f'n thing! ARGGHHHH!
The old cables are not compatible with the new PSUs. They now have Gen 2 cables
Oh that's not good D: So in terms of optical mice the Rival is the best?
What's up there in that high optical tier nowadays...
Mionix Avior, Corsair M45, Logitech Proteus.

Tablo

Oh yeah totally forgot about the Proteus xD
I like Logitech mice so I'll keep that guy in mind.
Currently on the wireless G602. I like it a lot but the middle click is defective, have to press ridiculously hard, so I'll RMA it soon I suppose.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have both a Steel Series Sensei and a Logitech Proteus Core. Both track amazing well. I'd say the Sensei tracks just a tiny, insy-bitsy bit better; but the Proteus is a bit more comfortable and offers more buttons. Thus, I use the Proteus as my main, and the Steelseries when I go mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom