• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
It's a good quality PSU for the price, just the fan spins a bit more than you like.
I take it that you probably don't want to replace the fan inside, so I suggested other options.

Thanks, can you, or anyone, recommend any sub $100 PSUs that are quiet under load? I'm not really looking for anything beyond 600W. I have a 4670K and a 280X.

There shouldn't be any. Just load up Prime 95 or OCCT when the system is up and running.

Hmm, Just ran an out-of-the case mobo test for a minute and the 4670k idled at around 37-39C(98-102F), normal? Will it run higher/lower inside the case with gpu. air flow and all that?

Stubo

Hmm, Just ran an out-of-the case mobo test for a minute and the 4670k idled at around 37-39C(98-102F), normal? Will it run higher/lower inside the case with gpu. air flow and all that?
Sounds pretty normal depending on ambient temperature, load temperatures are more important. Which heatsink are you using?
Is it normal that I have a folder in my C: drive named "Program Files" and another one named "Program Files (x86)" ?
Absolutely yes. The x86 folder is for applications which don't have 64-bit versions.

Venfayth

I searched a bit and couldn't find anything, so I figured asking here would be best.

Do we have a computer workstation/desk thread? Just kinda showing off peoples rigs and battlestations and whatnot. I'm looking for some ideas for a new desk.

Pachimari

Sounds pretty normal depending on ambient temperature, load temperatures are more important. Which heatsink are you using?

Absolutely yes. The x86 folder is for applications which don't have 64-bit versions.

Yes. One is for 64 bit programs, the other is for the rest (the x86 one).

Oh thanks, I didn't know that. That calms me.

Yet I'm worried about my computer hanging at the bootup screen with all the options when I restart it. =/

Stock.

Did another test in the bios with mobo and fans mounted and ran til temperatures stabilized:
Turbo Boost Enabled: 42-43C(107-109F)
Turbo boost disabled: 40C(104F)

Guess I'll get everything hooked up and check the load temp.

mkenyon

Banned
AKG Q701s on sale for $149 at Massdrop!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-q701-audiophile-headphones

Do I go for it, and finally splurge on a Soundblaster ZX?
First I've heard of this website, very interesting. Still love my AKGs.

Also, this made me lol

TFdvhGw.png

I searched a bit and couldn't find anything, so I figured asking here would be best.

Do we have a computer workstation/desk thread? Just kinda showing off peoples rigs and battlestations and whatnot. I'm looking for some ideas for a new desk.
There's a number of them in the Gaming Setup thread.

Reckoner

Guys, if using a 4k 60hz monitor which has 1.4 hdmi, if I use a 2.0 cable and a supported source and connect with a 1.2 minidisplay adapter to the monitor, will I get 4k 60hz or is that not possible?

mkenyon

Banned
Nice...

Because buying a prebuilt computer makes you a total pussy.
Pretty much right? Seems like they'd have a hard time getting a "Massdrop" on specific PC components too. Getting a nice big discount on some of those dedicated gaming boxes would likely make them damn good buys. Oh well.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
First I've heard of this website, very interesting. Still love my AKGs.

Also, this made me lol

TFdvhGw.png

There's a number of them in the Gaming Setup thread.

Massdrop is legit. Been around for about a year; usually have some good deals on quality audiophile gear you haven't heard of, and/or computer accessories. Only bought one or two things, but I still like to check in every week or so.

Really toying with splurging. If I could find a ZX for $100, I'd do it...

Ark

Rival arrived today, wow. Feels so good to play games with from the little test drive I have given it.

mxzGbHdl.jpg

Please post some full impressions in here once you've given it a proper go. I need to get a new mouse because my RAT7 is dying and right now it's a toss-up between the Rival and the Corsair M65.

mkenyon

Banned
Please post some full impressions in here once you've given it a proper go. I need to get a new mouse because my RAT7 is dying and right now it's a toss-up between the Rival and the Corsair M65.
I can tell you that the Rival has a far more accurate sensor, objectively. The M65 uses a laser sensor with native accel and required interpolation at certain DPI settings. The Rival is optical and gives true tracking.

The build quality on the M65 is a lot higher, the aluminum frame is super nice. But that's about the only thing it has going for it compared to other similar priced mice.

jett

D-Member
So what's the deal with controlling non-PWM case fans? The bios doesn't let me go any lower than 50% fan speed.

nerv

Alright, I'm set and ready for my new build, the 4690k seem to be in stock so here's my final build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1218.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 18:13 EDT-0400

Disregard the prices, I'm ordering from EU.

Any complaints?

Ark

I can tell you that the Rival has a far more accurate sensor, objectively. The M65 uses a laser sensor with native accel and required interpolation at certain DPI settings. The Rival is optical and gives true tracking.

The build quality on the M65 is a lot higher, the aluminum frame is super nice. But that's about the only thing it has going for it compared to other similar priced mice.

Damn, my only problem with the Rival is that it doesn't have a thumb rest. I've grown really use to the thumb rest on my RAT7. Why is choosing a new mouse such a difficult endeavour ;__;

kharma45

Alright, I'm set and ready for my new build, the 4690k seem to be in stock so here's my final build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1218.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 18:13 EDT-0400

Disregard the prices, I'm ordering from EU.

Any complaints?

Try for 2x4GB RAM. Means if one stick ever died (unlikely) then you'd have one to rely on

Tanwo

What's your budget? Definitely a few parts I'd change in there!
That needs some work... The 650 is mediocre, I have never seen that PSU before and no SSD but an i7... Z87 board but not overclocking. What's your budget?

I appreciate all suggestions, as I have very little knowledge about this. I forgot to mention that I'm from Europe, if that is important for the availability of some parts.
My budget is of 700€ (about 950$).

kharma45

I appreciate all suggestions, as I have very little knowledge about this. I forgot to mention that I'm from Europe, if that is important for the availability of some parts.
My budget is of 700€ (about 950$).

Where in Europe? What websites are you looking at to buy from?

riflen

Guys, if using a 4k 60hz monitor which has 1.4 hdmi, if I use a 2.0 cable and a supported source and connect with a 1.2 minidisplay adapter to the monitor, will I get 4k 60hz or is that not possible?

Connecting through a port that supports HDMI 1.4 means 30Hz @ 3840x2160, no matter how you chose to drive it.

jfoul

This might be helpful for anybody looking for a new PSU.

I bought the Rosewill Hive 750W last week on Amazon, new for $59.99. I've heard the units now come with flat cabling, which I prefer.

Flat Cabling
06WAMhwl.jpg

Reckoner

Connecting through a port that supports HDMI 1.4 means 30Hz @ 3840x2160, no matter how you chose to drive it.

The possibility I'm questioning about actually isn't simply that: is using a HDMI 2.0 cable and connect to the monitor using a display port 1.2 adapter. The monitor hdmi input is 1.4, so connecting a 2.0 cable with an adapter through the display port wouldn't it theorically get more bandwidth as I would be using a 2.0 cable and be 60hz?

kennah

Monitor Input is 1.4. The 2.0 cable would be irrelevant. Plugging a sata 3 cable and sata 3 device into a sata 2 port doesn't magically make it a 3.

Reckoner

Monitor Input is 1.4. The 2.0 cable would be irrelevant. Plugging a sata 3 cable and sata 3 device into a sata 2 port doesn't magically make it a 3.

Monitor input through display port 1.2 is 60hz, the thing that makes me ask this possibility is that. Again, as I said, I would be using an HDMI 2.0 cable and connect to the monitor through a display 1.2 adapter and to the graphics card without adapter, directly through HDMI input.

nerv

Hyper 212 could save you some cash and is still a very effective cooler.

The rest looks solid. Considered an SSD?

Is it reasonably quiet as well? 140mm always seemed the way to go in that respect, but the Phantek is probably a bit excessive, yeah.

I already have a 256GB MX100, which isn't listed.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't want to box myself out of G-Sync quite yet. But that price.... could almost get that plus the Eizo Foris for the same price as just the RoG Swift. :p

Irobot82

My wife bought me a new mouse for Fathers Day. I was using a Razer Naga ( omgz that thing was garbage). She bought me a logitech G500s. OMGZ! It feel just like my old MX510 with awesome subtle improvements. I'll never leave you again logitech. *tears*

Has anyone here bought from IBuyPower lately? Are they reputable?

If you have a problem with a system, do they stand by their product and fix it in an efficient manner?

I don't want to buy from a company like Dell if I can help it, but these smaller PC assemblers aren't as reputable as they are when it comes to warranties.

kennah

Monitor input through display port 1.2 is 60hz, the thing that makes me ask this possibility is that. Again, as I said, I would be using an HDMI 2.0 cable and connect to the monitor through a display 1.2 adapter and to the graphics card without adapter, directly through HDMI input.
I just don't understand how you possibly think this would work? When you have a chain of devices you are always limited by the lowest/weakest in that chain.

kharma45

Is it reasonably quiet as well? 140mm always seemed the way to go in that respect, but the Phantek is probably a bit excessive, yeah.

I already have a 256GB MX100, which isn't listed.

It's alright yeah. You can always chance the fan on it if you're not happy, or stick with your original cooler. You'll not go wrong with either.

Good SSD choice.

Reckoner

I just don't understand how you possibly think this would work? When you have a chain of devices you are always limited by the lowest/weakest in that chain.

I'm probably overcomplicating my question, but

HDMI 2.0 supports 4k at 60hz and is coming out soon.
Minidisplay port 1.2 already supports 4k at 60hz.
Monitor has minidisplay port 1.2.
I want to connect a HDMI 2.0 device to the monitor.

Can I just use an adapter to minidisplay port and it will work 4k 60hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom